SoConfined's Tiering Thread

SoConfinedSoConfined Opening Act
edited June 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
I guess this goes here.

Yes, it's another one of those threads. With the fancy images and everything.

Feel free to request anything to be tiered, so long as it has at least one instrument part. It can be classic rock, bubblegum pop, free-form jazz, symphonic death metal, a classical piece, an old folk melody, or even a TV jingle. I really, really don't care about genres.

Due to time restraints, I must ask that everybody only request two songs at a time. Sorry, but it's the best I can do if I want to update steadily. It would be great if you could include a link to the audio of your request (on Youtube, some streaming service, etc.), although it is not required.

Please, no songs that are longer than 20~ minutes. I don't have much free time to spend on tiers, so long songs can bog down updates.

If you feel that one of my tiers are inaccurate, you can request it be re-tiered. Perhaps point out why you think it's wrong. Results may vary.

I will gladly do RB3 versions of songs already released as DLC. Typically, I'll keep the legacy tiers the same as HMX's (like they seem to do with RB3 versions), but this may not always be the case.

I will also tier my own "DLC Packs" that I would like to see released. I may leave hints towards upcoming packs, but not always.

Updates will not be daily, but I will make an effort to update this at least once per week. Hopefully more frequently than that, when I have time.

Be sure to check out my Lego Rock Band 2 setlist!

Songs colored in gold were released as DLC after my tiering of them.

If you run across any dead links throughout the thread, refer to one of the first 9 posts of this page to find a working link for whatever song you were looking for. If you run into any broken links on this page, report them to me and I'll fix them.

# - B

#
38 Special - "Caught Up in You"
38 Special - "Fantasy Girl"
38 Special - "If I'd Been the One"
38 Special - "Rockin' into the Night"
38 Special - "Rough Housin'"
38 Special - "Stone Cold Believer"
38 Special - "Wild-Eyed Southern Boys"

A
ABBA - "Fernando"
Abney Park - "Airship Pirate"
AcousticBrony - "Crepuscularity"
Aerosmith - "Angel"
Aerosmith - "Back in the Saddle"
Aerosmith - "Dream On"
Aerosmith - "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"
Aerosmith - "Jaded"
Aerosmith - "Janie's Got a Gun"
Aerosmith - "Last Child"
Aerosmith - "Love in an Elevator"
Aerosmith - "Sweet Emotion"
Aerosmith - "Toys in the Attic"
Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"
Aerosmith - "What It Takes"
After the Fire - "Der Kommissar"
Alter Bridge - "Blackbird"
Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - "Want It Back"
America - "A Horse with No Name"
Anberlin - "The Resistance"
Andy Rehfeldt / Behemoth - "Demigod (Radio Disney Edit)"
Apartment 26 - "Give Me More"
Asian Kung-Fu Generation - "Blue Train"
Avenged Sevenfold - "Natural Born Killer"
Avenged Sevenfold - "Strength of the World"
Ayreon - "Newborn Race"

B
Between the Buried and Me - "Telos"
Bill Haley and His Comets - "Rock Around the Clock"
Billy Idol - "Dancing With Myself"
Bis - "Young Alien Types"
Blackmore's Night - "St. Teresa"
Blessed by a Broken Heart - "Move Your Body"
Bobby Womack - "Across 110th Street"
Bob Dylan - "Highway 51 Blues"
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - "Night Moves"
Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (album)

Boomtown Rats, The - "Like Clockwork"
Breaking Benjamin - "Give Me a Sign"
Bruce Hornsby and the Range - "Mandolin Rain"
Bruce Springsteen - "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)"
Bullet for My Valentine - "Road to Nowhere"

Comments

• generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Break the Same- Mutemath
    Millionaire Waltz- Queen
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2012
    Death in June - "Little Black Angel"
    Genesis - "The Musical Box"

Question: you do this manually through a graphics tool or is there a program for making these cards.
  • Gamer1270Gamer1270 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation- Blue Train
    Rookiez Is Punk'd- Complication
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    FlyGuyLXI;4696823 said:

Question: you do this manually through a graphics tool or is there a program for making these cards.
    He does it through GIMP and Paint.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited April 2012
    Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus"
    Green Day - "Panic Song"
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2012
    I like this concept a lot (especially now that you're able to post pictures with the tiers).

Only thing is, though, is that I believe Butterflies and Hurricanes has guitar in it, even if it's a simple chord pattern.

Still, here's some songs for you. Hopefully everyone will be off my back about my threads and let you take over.

Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not
    Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!

EDIT: Nevermind the Butterflies and Hurricanes comment. I was thinking the Live version from Wembley Stadium.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Machine Head - "Locust"
  • tinman22897tinman22897 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Don't Stand So Close to Me ('86 remix) - The Police
    Closet Chronicles - Kansas
  • SoConfinedSoConfined Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Seven new tiers. Also, updated some other tiers to list "Progressive" instead of "Prog" as a genre. Nitpicky is me.
    Gunsrock13;4696495 said:
    I request Sober By Tool and New Orleans Is Sinking By The Tragically Hip.
    Sober New Orleans is Sinking
    Cipher_Peon;4696496 said:
    "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)" by My Chemical Romance
    Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)
    RosaFloydGuy;4696510 said:
    Okay...
    Paranoid Android- Radiohead
    The Count of Tuscany- Dream Theater
    Paranoid Android
    The Count of Tuscany
    generalbane;4696661 said:
    Break the Same- Mutemath
    Millionaire Waltz- Queen
    Break the Same The Millionaire Waltz
    FlyGuyLXI;4696823 said:
    Manually. I screencapped one the song pages on this site to get the instrument icons/tiering pips, then edited out the background in GIMP. I have them saved in a separate file now so I can easily piece these together in MS Paint alone.

(also, I'll start with your requests onward next)
    Mileycyrussoulja;4696967 said:
    He does it through GIMP and Paint.
    I appreciate the help, but please let me answer my own questions. Thanks.
    LiveHomeVideo;4697074 said:
    I believe Butterflies and Hurricanes has guitar in it, even if it's a simple chord pattern.

EDIT: Nevermind the Butterflies and Hurricanes comment. I was thinking the Live version from Wembley Stadium.
    Strangely enough, I was considering tiering the live version instead for that exact reason -- it keeps the crazy keyboard/piano parts, but layers some guitar on top of it. I guess I just stuck with the album version since I'm more familiar with it.
    I like this concept a lot (especially now that you're able to post pictures with the tiers).

Hopefully everyone will be off my back about my threads and let you take over.
    Ha, thanks. They're quite fun to make in my downtime, so I certainly don't mind taking over for now.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited April 2012
    I have a question, how do you differentiate between the guitar/bass and Pro Guitar/Bass tiering? It seems like they would be the same, but I know for a fact that they're completely different. How can you tell if their Pro chart is tiered less /morethan their legacy chart?
  • Gunsrock13Gunsrock13 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    edited April 2012
    Hm, I dunno if I made this clear in the OP or not, so I edited it a bit to make things clearer: Once I've tiered your requests, you can request another 2 songs.
    Cipher_Peon;4698201 said:
    I have a question, how do you differentiate between the guitar/bass and Pro Guitar/Bass tiering? It seems like they would be the same, but I know for a fact that they're completely different. How can you tell if their Pro chart is tiered less /morethan their legacy chart?
    Good question. I'll try to explain without sounding too nerdy/complicated. :P (This is going to be a bit long-winded, sorry.)

Mostly, it depends on the type of techniques the song brings to the table on guitar and bass. For example, on legacy guitar/bass, things that warrant higher tiering are fast alt-strumming, rapid hammer-ons/pull-offs, awkward time signatures, and sometimes combinations of strum/hammer-on/strum sections that are difficult to time correctly. On Pro mode, many of those techniques can end up translating to something completely different over 4-6 strings and 17-22 frets.

A good example of how alt-strumming can translate differently in a song is Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen". On Legacy, it's non-stop alt-strumming of a few notes. This gets very tedious and exhausting quickly on a 5-button guitar, particularly with your strumming hand -- mostly because timing is harder to hit correctly with the strum bar. On Pro, you're doing the same alt-strumming pattern, but it's easier to hit with a pick. Additionally, you're dealing with a total of 3 notes throughout the majority(entirety?) of the song, which is...frankly, very simple to do on a real guitar in comparison to complex chord progressions, hammer-on variations, slides, etc. You're not doing much on the real guitar.

On the flipside, you have a song like "Stash" by Phish. It's a blast on Legacy because of all the hammer-ons coming at you -- nothing too fast, but certainly enough there to keep your fingers busy and even trip you up on a few occasions if you're not careful. There's also a guitar solo with very awkwardly-timed patterns that are hard to hit with the buttons/strum bar. On Pro, however, most of those "hammer-ons" are actually separate string plucks that move up and down a vast amount of frets, and across ALL the strings. This kind of technique is very tricky to do on a real guitar and make sound right. Then you have the solo, which is still very awkwardly-timed, but also involves travelling up and down numerous frets. The song also includes some techniques like sweeping (picking several notes across 4+ strings and making them sound like separate notes, not a chord -- a lot harder than it sounds), which can easily be charted to a small group of hammer-ons on legacy. Which is, obviously, easier. You'd be rather frustrated/tired if you had to strum all of those buttons instead of just using hammer-ons, no?

One last example for guitar: "Misery Business" by Paramore. On Legacy it's mostly a chord-fest. Chords are pretty easy to hit on Legacy, even in this song. It's just completely straightforward. On Pro, however, those chords turn out to not be your typical chords on a real guitar -- especially in the choruses and the bridge. Honestly, they're really awkward to hit right if you're not used to forming your hands in the shame of something other than basic acoustic chords or power chords. They may just look like numbers coming down the screen if you're not used to playing guitar, but they're actually really difficult chords to make your hand form until you practice a lot.

As for your My Chemical Romance request, it would be a really simple song on Pro (read: 1 dot, 2 dots max due to the speed of the song) if not for the finger-tapping section before the guitar solo. Most of the song is really just simple single-note hits and a very simple power chords. But the finger-tapping descends very quickly and could easily fail you out. But it's not devil-tier difficulty, because it's only on one string, as opposed to 2-4 strings like many metal songs' finger-tapping requires. This is why it's tiered a bit higher on Legacy -- those descending notes will be harder to hit in contrast to 5-buttons, as opposed to in contrast to 100+ buttons/notes on the Mustang/Squier. A hammer-on sequence on real guitar can take place over just a few notes/frets, but on legacy guitar, you only have the 5 buttons to work with, so it's going to require more movement back-and-forth, regardless of how easy it might be to play on real guitar.

It's pretty much the same for bass. Awkward progressions, lots of fret travel (just look at the Pro Bass chart for "Space Oddity", compared to it's really simple Legacy chart), etc, all make for a complicated Pro part. There's also that quite a few bassists find chords harder to perform on a bass than real guitar -- so, a Pro Bass chart with chords in it will likely be tiered higher than usual.

tl;dr: Pro tiering is based solely on technique, variation, and fret travel.

Sorry for being so longwinded, but that's the best way I could think of explaining it without skimming over things or using ridiculous terms that might confuse someone. :x
    Gunsrock13;4698295 said:
    Thanks
    No prob. Feel free to request some more.
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    These were some great tiers, my friend. I was quite pleased with mine. Here are two more, if that's okay.

Suite Charlotte Pike - Transatlantic
    Xanadu - Rush
    edited April 2012
    Wow... That explains a WHOLE lot :p
    I've been dying to know for a long time to see if I can tell by myself, but I don't have the faintest idea on what string would be used in Pro Guitar if a song required that one string being hit between various frets.

It makes my journey into Pro Guitar a lot more interesting :p
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Yes, that song is so good live!

Yours is No Disgrace- Yes
    Rosanna- Toto
  • SJ0414SJ0414 Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Really nice job. There are a ton of songs I want to see tiered, so it was pretty hard picking just two. This is eventually what it narrowed down to:

"Stargazer" - Rainbow
    "Civil War" - Guns 'n' Roses
  • runningdrummerrunningdrummer Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    "Shaking The Tree" - Peter Gabriel
    "Tunnel Of Love" - Dire Straits
    edited April 2012
    I'm getting pretty antsy over these tiers.

Take your time, but I'm just saying I love seeing these.
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4699399 said:

Do realize he has an insane work schedule, and usually doesn't get on until nighttime. So I would just say to be patient.
    edited April 2012
    11 new requests filled.
    FlyGuyLXI;4696823 said:
    "Little Black Angel" "The Musical Box"
    Gamer1270;4696845 said:
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation- Blue Train
    Rookiez Is Punk'd- Complication
    "Blue Train"
    3pic81ueUnicorn;4697013 said:
    Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus"
    Green Day - "Panic Song"
    "Lazarus" "Panic Song"
    Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not
    Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
    "Forget Not" "You! Me! Dancing!"
    JBlack240;4697109 said:
    Machine Head - "Locust"
    "Blackbird"
    "Locust"
    tinman22897;4697601 said:
    Don't Stand So Close to Me ('86 remix) - The Police
    Closet Chronicles - Kansas
    "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" "Closet Chronices"

RosaFloydGuy;4698733 said:
    These were some great tiers, my friend. I was quite pleased with mine. Here are two more, if that's okay.
    Thanks! Glad you liked 'em. I'll start up with your two requests next.
    Cipher_Peon;4698737 said:
    Wow... That explains a WHOLE lot :p
    I've been dying to know for a long time to see if I can tell by myself, but I don't have the faintest idea on what string would be used in Pro Guitar if a song required that one string being hit between various frets.

It makes my journey into Pro Guitar a lot more interesting :p
    Good to hear, dude. Learning how to play an instrument is one of the coolest hobbies (or careers~) someone can pick up, so I'm glad my post helped out a bit. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    LiveHomeVideo;4699399 said:

Thanks a bunch! It's nice to see you like them. I'm just sorry I can't be a bit faster at it. :P
    edited April 2012
    No, I had that one already done when I started the topic. Refer to post #6.
    edited April 2012
    I freakin' knew that Brick By Boring Brick had keys!

I would like to request Laura's Theme and You're Not Here from Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 respectively.

EDIT: Yeah, I noticed it and deleted my post before anyone could see my mistake. I guess I wasn't fast enough :p
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4702805 said:
    I freakin' knew that Brick By Boring Brick had keys!
    Yep. They're pretty faint notes/chords during the chorus for the most part, but during the bridge there's a crystal-ish bell effect that's quite audible and played on keys as well.
    Cipher_Peon;4702805 said:

EDIT: Yeah, I noticed it and deleted my post before anyone could see my mistake. I guess I wasn't fast enough :p
    Nothing escapes my eyes. :cool:
  • wheatsquares33wheatsquares33 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Sultans Of Swing- Dire Straits
    L'Via L'Viaquez- Mars Volta
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the tiers. They look pretty sweet. Here's two more for you:

Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds (Viva Elvis Version)"
    U2 - "With or Without You"
    edited April 2012
    I'm not entirely sure about the Forget Not 5-button guitar/bass tiers. Seem a little harder to me.

Still, more songs.

Rooney - Blueside
    Muse - New Born (Live at Wembley)

Yes, MOAR MUSE.
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Hmm... how about...

A Cruel Angel's Thesis - Yoko Takahashi
    St. Teresa - Blackmore's Night

I'll probably request more when you are done.
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4703260 said:
    I'm not entirely sure about the Forget Not 5-button guitar/bass tiers. Seem a little harder to me.
    I'll be honest in that I had a hard time tiering that one; I originally had guitar as devils due to how crazy it gets at the 9-minute mark with the alt-strumming, but the new strum lanes RB3 presents would allow for a little bit of leeway there that I think would make it not so difficult to survive. Outside of that area in guitar, there isn't too much that would warrant devil tiers. The only other sections I believe that could possibly warrant devil tiers are the acoustic parts, which could feasibly combine some awkward note-to-chord HOPOs that could fail some people out. But even then, the sections seem slow enough to stay at a 5-dot. Other than those sections, the chord sections and sparse guitar licks are not enough to fail most people out easily. Still, needless to say, it would be towards the bottom of that tier in the DLC list and very close to the Impossible area.

Bass is one of the sexiest basslines I've heard in quite some time, but it would be mostly even-tempo HOPOs; think "Hysteria", but with more variations. I could picture it being one of the most fun basslines to hit DLC in a long time. I don't see it being too difficult, just very fun; although I suppose it would depend on how the slides were charted between notes, since that would completely alter the HOPO rhythm the chart would provide.

That said, they would still probably get devil tiers anyway, based solely on the fact that the song is very long and it's in the metal genre. Which kind of seems to be the trend for tiering when those two things are factored in.
    edited April 2012
    I don't mean to nitpick, but you forgot the end quotation mark on Blackbird and Blue Train.

I know it probably doesn't matter, I just noticed you forgot one.
  • tinman22897tinman22897 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Go To The Mirror Boy! - The Who
    'Cross the Breeze - Sonic Youth