RBB for WiiWare

MasterOfAwsumMasterOfAwsum Unsigned
edited June 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
WiiWare is basically Wii's version of Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Store. I don't see why Rock Band Blitz isn't going to be available for this. I'm sure many Wii owners (such as myself) would love to see this happen. It comes out in the summer, so if enough people want this to happen, Harmonix will hopefully see the demand by then and release Rock Band Blitz as download for the Wii!

Comments

• GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    It won't. It's too large to be on the Wii shop plus to have all the complatiblity it has with the other 2 might make the Wii explode. (not literally.....)
  • edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4697716 said:
    It won't. It's too large to be on the Wii shop plus to have all the complatiblity it has with the other 2 might make the Wii explode. (not literally.....)
    Complatibility is a bish.

;)

Yeah, I would not hold your breath for the Wii version.

Maybe a WIi U version but only time and demand will tell.
    edited April 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4697719 said:
    Complatibility is a bish.

;)

Yeah, I would not hold your breath for the Wii version.

Maybe a WIi U version but only time and demand will tell.

Hahaha Doc. I don't hold my breath for the game but the songs as DLC
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4697741 said:
    Hahaha Doc. I don't hold my breath for the game but the songs as DLC

I guess whether the songs make it will end up being dependent on the PSN and XBLA sales of the game, kind of like how RBN songs port over to PS3.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    There's two problems here really:

The first is file size. 25 songs x 30MB average (on the Wii) is 750MB, larger than the base memory on the Wii (512MB), and that's before you even consider any game code.

The second problem has to do with the control scheme. What buttons would you assign to play RBB (it needs 4) that would make any sense whatsoever and be comfortable to play with the standard nunchuck + Wiimote combination?

Looking at my Wiimote, the only setup that would make even a vague amount of sense is using the 1 and 2 buttons for the gem inputs, and the d-pad to switch lanes while holding the controller sideways in your lap or braced on your leg, but that's not a particularly stable way to hold the Wiimote.

Don't blame Harmonix for either of these two problems: they're squarely in Nintendo's court for designing their controller the way they did, and deciding to ship their console with only 512MB of standard storage (part of which is also reserved to the system).
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Icemage;4700176 said:

The second problem has to do with the control scheme. What buttons would you assign to play RBB (it needs 4) that would make any sense whatsoever and be comfortable to play with the standard nunchuck + Wiimote combination?

Looking at my Wiimote, the only setup that would make even a vague amount of sense is using the 1 and 2 buttons for the gem inputs, and the d-pad to switch lanes while holding the controller sideways in your lap or braced on your leg, but that's not a particularly stable way to hold the Wiimote.

Don't blame Harmonix for either of these two problems: they're squarely in Nintendo's court for designing their controller the way they did, and deciding to ship their console with only 512MB of standard storage (part of which is also reserved to the system).

The second problem is really a problem. As you mention yourself, hold the remote sideways. It's not an uncommon solution. There's also the use of the classic controller.

However, the first problem is the defining problem, as I'm sure you're aware.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    Icemage;4700176 said:
    Wait, why does it have to be braced on my leg again? It's a controller. I put it in my hands. A sideways Wiimote basically looks like a thin NES controller.
  • funkydunklemanfunkydunkleman Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Is this going to go on until the end of time? HMX is finally showing the brass to not bother doubling back and take the extra time and effort to support an technologically inferior gaming console. What next? Are PS2 users going to demand a disc version? Are these the same people that are mad their new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, or their DVD players can't play blu rays?

If Wiiware was a viable option, HMX would have included it. It was pretty obvious from the beginning of Rock Band that the Wii would not be a great option for rhythm gaming.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    funkydunkleman;4700591 said:
    Is this going to go on until the end of time? HMX is finally showing the brass to not bother doubling back and take the extra time and effort to support an technologically inferior gaming console. What next? Are PS2 users going to demand a disc version? Are these the same people that are mad their new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, or their DVD players can't play blu rays?

If Wiiware was a viable option, HMX would have included it. It was pretty obvious from the beginning of Rock Band that the Wii would not be a great option for rhythm gaming.

As harsh as the reality is, I totally agree with you. Enjoy your Wii for what it is while it lasts, consider getting an XBOX or PS sometime down the road for -whatever- your gaming interests are.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    Well, I failed in a way. I remember seeing or reading about Harmonix and the Wii for this issue, but didn't include it in the Rumors and Facts thread so I don't have a link.

They said they are still looking into release on the Wii or the WiiU... if neither of those are options, they will look into getting the songs released on the Wii for RB3. Right now, however, they are concentrating on getting the game finished for the 360 and PS3 so all three of those options are to be looked at later in the year.

Sorry I don't have a link, it was pure failure on my part since I can't prove that is what I heard/read/dreamed...
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    I think that was just Henry's comment in the "Bring RBB Soundtrack to the Wii" thread. I don't think he said anything about the game itself, but he was looking into options of bringing the songs themselves over.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    It was said in the livestream, a recap of which can be found here.
  • edited April 2012
    Icemage;4700176 said:

The first is file size. 25 songs x 30MB average (on the Wii) is 750MB, larger than the base memory on the Wii (512MB), and that's before you even consider any game code.

To add a point of clarification to your post, RBB needs 5 buttons, not 4--there's a dedicated button to activate your powerups. :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4701128 said:
    It was said in the livestream, a recap of which can be found here.
    THANKS! I will add that to the Rumors and Fact thread.
    edited April 2012
    Sayburr;4700895 said:
    Well, I failed in a way. I remember seeing or reading about Harmonix and the Wii for this issue, but didn't include it in the Rumors and Facts thread so I don't have a link.

They said they are still looking into release on the Wii or the WiiU... if neither of those are options, they will look into getting the songs released on the Wii for RB3. Right now, however, they are concentrating on getting the game finished for the 360 and PS3 so all three of those options are to be looked at later in the year.

Sorry I don't have a link, it was pure failure on my part since I can't prove that is what I heard/read/dreamed...

WiiU seems the most logical choice seeing it comes out in 9 months and 8 days. More buttons on that controller, faster console, better third-party support.
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4701411 said:
    WiiU seems the most logical choice seeing it comes out in 9 months and 8 days. More buttons on that controller, faster console, better third-party support.
    More buttons? The Wiimote alone has more than you need.
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4701412 said:
    More buttons? The Wiimote alone has more than you need.

True just going rolling with what I know GNF :p
  • F3RPQSF3RPQS Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    why don't they make a "lite" version, with 5 songs + compatibility with DLC, kinda what they did with the digital version of unplugged lite for the psp, why not do the same with blitz???
    About the controller make it use the classic or gamecube controllers and problem solved!!!
    I really hope they release this on wii
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    One other thing that might be a point of concern:

If I understand correctly, while you can purchase legacy songs in RB3, those legacy songs aren't playable in RB2. Is it because RB3 couldn't reallocate those songs into whatever the Wiiquivalent (yes, I'm groaning at that word myself) to an RB2 storage folder is? If so, is that something that would happen across all games on the Wii?

Basically, if there were a Blitz WiiWare edition, are there technical limitations in place that would mean that either 1) Blitz-purchased songs wouldn't work in RB3 (because they've been filed under the Blitz folder) or 2) song purchases would have to be done in RB3 (thus causing people to fork over more money in order to fork over even more money)?
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4701824 said:
    One other thing that might be a point of concern:

If I understand correctly, while you can purchase legacy songs in RB3, those legacy songs aren't playable in RB2. Is it because RB3 couldn't reallocate those songs into whatever the Wiiquivalent (yes, I'm groaning at that word myself) to an RB2 storage folder is? If so, is that something that would happen across all games on the Wii?

Basically, if there were a Blitz WiiWare edition, are there technical limitations in place that would mean that either 1) Blitz-purchased songs wouldn't work in RB3 (because they've been filed under the Blitz folder) or 2) song purchases would have to be done in RB3 (thus causing people to fork over more money in order to fork over even more money)?

My head hurts
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4702399 said:
    My head hurts

Lemme try that again.

If what I hear is true--that RB/RB2 DLC songs you buy in RB3 can't be played in RB2 Wii--then maybe there's a similar logistical issue between RB3 and Blitz. Thus, there is a possibility that if they made Blitz for the Wii, DLC you buy directly in Blitz wouldn't work in RB3. Maybe even the other way around, although if they got RB3 to read RB2 stuff, it'd make sense that they could get Blitz to read RB3 DLC.

Alternatively, they could make Blitz a sealed-off game with no direct access to the RB store, but it reads from your RB3 library. This way, any songs you buy will be more or less guaranteed to work in both RB3 and Blitz. However, doing that kind of nullifies one of the major (business-related) purposes for having the game in the first place--encouraging people without RB3 to buy DLC. If you already have RB3 (or RB2, I guess, since that also has access to the RB store, if not for anything from late October 2010 on), it's *less* of a problem, but it's probably still annoying having to load RB3 to purchase songs before you can play them in Blitz.

Is that clearer?
    edited April 2012
    I'd have to say yes. Unless Blitz redirected to the RB3 Music Store, but the storefront is pretty wonky and confusing on the Wii for Rock Band.
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Forgive me, but I always thought the reason RB3-purchased legacy songs didn't show up in RB2 was just an SD card compatibility issue. RB3 works with SDHC cards, RB2 doesn't. So those who switched to SDHC cards for RB3 (pretty much anybody with DLC who wanted to import RB2, since a single 2G SD card can only hold about 100 songs) were stuck with a library that couldn't be read by RB2. However, I found this problem easily solved by just popping in my 2G and redownloading to that.
    edited April 2012
    gamesurf;4703442 said:
    Forgive me, but I always thought the reason RB3-purchased legacy songs didn't show up in RB2 was just an SD card compatibility issue. RB3 works with SDHC cards, RB2 doesn't. So those who switched to SDHC cards for RB3 (pretty much anybody with DLC who wanted to import RB2, since a single 2G SD card can only hold about 100 songs) were stuck with a library that couldn't be read by RB2. However, I found this problem easily solved by just popping in my 2G and redownloading to that.

In which case, never mind!
  • KyleJCrbKyleJCrb Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    The main issue here is that Nintendo has limited WiiWare releases to about 45MB. The best you could do with that might be a very scaled-back version of the game (especially in terms of graphics) and MAYBE a single short song, or maybe a few songs with horribly compressed audio. Probably not gonna fly.
  • CrimsonbCrimsonb Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    KyleJCrb;4706535 said:
    The main issue here is that Nintendo has limited WiiWare releases to about 45MB. The best you could do with that might be a very scaled-back version of the game (especially in terms of graphics) and MAYBE a single short song, or maybe a few songs with horribly compressed audio. Probably not gonna fly.

First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX! You would just have to download the game separately from the songs. But it isn't coming for Wii anyway! The best we can do is hope for a Wii U release.
    edited April 2012
    Crimsonb;4714719 said:
    First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX!
    Prove it? Show us one thing saying the game itself is under 45MB.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Crimsonb;4714719 said:
    First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX! You would just have to download the game separately from the songs. But it isn't coming for Wii anyway! The best we can do is hope for a Wii U release.
    Should be easy to figure this out on PS3 or Xbox 360 once the game launches; since the songs will be in a separate spot (DLC), the game code file size should be accurate once installed.

By the by, I can't remember the last time I saw a game download that was lower than 50MB on PS3 that wasn't a PSP Mini.
    edited April 2012
    Icemage;4715649 said:
    Should be easy to figure this out on PS3 or Xbox 360 once the game launches; since the songs will be in a separate spot (DLC), the game code file size should be accurate once installed.

Did they say the songs would be located separately? I missed that.
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4716109 said:
    Did they say the songs would be located separately? I missed that.
    I'm not sure if a single trigger can even send items to two areas.

Plus, it's a single download, just in a pack situation, like with Rock Band songs. The download is one thing, even with multiple items in it, so there's not even multiple items to separate.

Edit: I'll change this to make sense once it's not 3:30AM.