RBB for WiiWare

MasterOfAwsumMasterOfAwsum Unsigned
edited June 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
WiiWare is basically Wii's version of Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Store. I don't see why Rock Band Blitz isn't going to be available for this. I'm sure many Wii owners (such as myself) would love to see this happen. It comes out in the summer, so if enough people want this to happen, Harmonix will hopefully see the demand by then and release Rock Band Blitz as download for the Wii!

Comments

  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    Icemage;4700176 said:
    Looking at my Wiimote, the only setup that would make even a vague amount of sense is using the 1 and 2 buttons for the gem inputs, and the d-pad to switch lanes while holding the controller sideways in your lap or braced on your leg, but that's not a particularly stable way to hold the Wiimote.
    Wait, why does it have to be braced on my leg again? It's a controller. I put it in my hands. A sideways Wiimote basically looks like a thin NES controller.
  • funkydunklemanfunkydunkleman Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Is this going to go on until the end of time? HMX is finally showing the brass to not bother doubling back and take the extra time and effort to support an technologically inferior gaming console. What next? Are PS2 users going to demand a disc version? Are these the same people that are mad their new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, or their DVD players can't play blu rays?

    If Wiiware was a viable option, HMX would have included it. It was pretty obvious from the beginning of Rock Band that the Wii would not be a great option for rhythm gaming.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    funkydunkleman;4700591 said:
    Is this going to go on until the end of time? HMX is finally showing the brass to not bother doubling back and take the extra time and effort to support an technologically inferior gaming console. What next? Are PS2 users going to demand a disc version? Are these the same people that are mad their new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, or their DVD players can't play blu rays?

    If Wiiware was a viable option, HMX would have included it. It was pretty obvious from the beginning of Rock Band that the Wii would not be a great option for rhythm gaming.

    As harsh as the reality is, I totally agree with you. Enjoy your Wii for what it is while it lasts, consider getting an XBOX or PS sometime down the road for -whatever- your gaming interests are.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    Well, I failed in a way. I remember seeing or reading about Harmonix and the Wii for this issue, but didn't include it in the Rumors and Facts thread so I don't have a link.

    They said they are still looking into release on the Wii or the WiiU... if neither of those are options, they will look into getting the songs released on the Wii for RB3. Right now, however, they are concentrating on getting the game finished for the 360 and PS3 so all three of those options are to be looked at later in the year.

    Sorry I don't have a link, it was pure failure on my part since I can't prove that is what I heard/read/dreamed...
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    I think that was just Henry's comment in the "Bring RBB Soundtrack to the Wii" thread. I don't think he said anything about the game itself, but he was looking into options of bringing the songs themselves over.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    It was said in the livestream, a recap of which can be found here.
  • edited April 2012
    Icemage;4700176 said:
    There's two problems here really:

    The first is file size. 25 songs x 30MB average (on the Wii) is 750MB, larger than the base memory on the Wii (512MB), and that's before you even consider any game code.

    The second problem has to do with the control scheme. What buttons would you assign to play RBB (it needs 4) that would make any sense whatsoever and be comfortable to play with the standard nunchuck + Wiimote combination?

    Looking at my Wiimote, the only setup that would make even a vague amount of sense is using the 1 and 2 buttons for the gem inputs, and the d-pad to switch lanes while holding the controller sideways in your lap or braced on your leg, but that's not a particularly stable way to hold the Wiimote.

    Don't blame Harmonix for either of these two problems: they're squarely in Nintendo's court for designing their controller the way they did, and deciding to ship their console with only 512MB of standard storage (part of which is also reserved to the system).

    To add a point of clarification to your post, RBB needs 5 buttons, not 4--there's a dedicated button to activate your powerups. :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4701128 said:
    It was said in the livestream, a recap of which can be found here.
    THANKS! I will add that to the Rumors and Fact thread.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Sayburr;4700895 said:
    Well, I failed in a way. I remember seeing or reading about Harmonix and the Wii for this issue, but didn't include it in the Rumors and Facts thread so I don't have a link.

    They said they are still looking into release on the Wii or the WiiU... if neither of those are options, they will look into getting the songs released on the Wii for RB3. Right now, however, they are concentrating on getting the game finished for the 360 and PS3 so all three of those options are to be looked at later in the year.

    Sorry I don't have a link, it was pure failure on my part since I can't prove that is what I heard/read/dreamed...

    WiiU seems the most logical choice seeing it comes out in 9 months and 8 days. More buttons on that controller, faster console, better third-party support.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4701411 said:
    WiiU seems the most logical choice seeing it comes out in 9 months and 8 days. More buttons on that controller, faster console, better third-party support.
    More buttons? The Wiimote alone has more than you need.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4701412 said:
    More buttons? The Wiimote alone has more than you need.

    True just going rolling with what I know GNF :p
  • F3RPQSF3RPQS Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    why don't they make a "lite" version, with 5 songs + compatibility with DLC, kinda what they did with the digital version of unplugged lite for the psp, why not do the same with blitz???
    About the controller make it use the classic or gamecube controllers and problem solved!!!
    I really hope they release this on wii
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    One other thing that might be a point of concern:

    If I understand correctly, while you can purchase legacy songs in RB3, those legacy songs aren't playable in RB2. Is it because RB3 couldn't reallocate those songs into whatever the Wiiquivalent (yes, I'm groaning at that word myself) to an RB2 storage folder is? If so, is that something that would happen across all games on the Wii?

    Basically, if there were a Blitz WiiWare edition, are there technical limitations in place that would mean that either 1) Blitz-purchased songs wouldn't work in RB3 (because they've been filed under the Blitz folder) or 2) song purchases would have to be done in RB3 (thus causing people to fork over more money in order to fork over even more money)?
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4701824 said:
    One other thing that might be a point of concern:

    If I understand correctly, while you can purchase legacy songs in RB3, those legacy songs aren't playable in RB2. Is it because RB3 couldn't reallocate those songs into whatever the Wiiquivalent (yes, I'm groaning at that word myself) to an RB2 storage folder is? If so, is that something that would happen across all games on the Wii?

    Basically, if there were a Blitz WiiWare edition, are there technical limitations in place that would mean that either 1) Blitz-purchased songs wouldn't work in RB3 (because they've been filed under the Blitz folder) or 2) song purchases would have to be done in RB3 (thus causing people to fork over more money in order to fork over even more money)?

    My head hurts
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4702399 said:
    My head hurts

    Lemme try that again.

    If what I hear is true--that RB/RB2 DLC songs you buy in RB3 can't be played in RB2 Wii--then maybe there's a similar logistical issue between RB3 and Blitz. Thus, there is a possibility that if they made Blitz for the Wii, DLC you buy directly in Blitz wouldn't work in RB3. Maybe even the other way around, although if they got RB3 to read RB2 stuff, it'd make sense that they could get Blitz to read RB3 DLC.

    Alternatively, they could make Blitz a sealed-off game with no direct access to the RB store, but it reads from your RB3 library. This way, any songs you buy will be more or less guaranteed to work in both RB3 and Blitz. However, doing that kind of nullifies one of the major (business-related) purposes for having the game in the first place--encouraging people without RB3 to buy DLC. If you already have RB3 (or RB2, I guess, since that also has access to the RB store, if not for anything from late October 2010 on), it's *less* of a problem, but it's probably still annoying having to load RB3 to purchase songs before you can play them in Blitz.

    Is that clearer?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    I'd have to say yes. Unless Blitz redirected to the RB3 Music Store, but the storefront is pretty wonky and confusing on the Wii for Rock Band.
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Forgive me, but I always thought the reason RB3-purchased legacy songs didn't show up in RB2 was just an SD card compatibility issue. RB3 works with SDHC cards, RB2 doesn't. So those who switched to SDHC cards for RB3 (pretty much anybody with DLC who wanted to import RB2, since a single 2G SD card can only hold about 100 songs) were stuck with a library that couldn't be read by RB2. However, I found this problem easily solved by just popping in my 2G and redownloading to that.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    gamesurf;4703442 said:
    Forgive me, but I always thought the reason RB3-purchased legacy songs didn't show up in RB2 was just an SD card compatibility issue. RB3 works with SDHC cards, RB2 doesn't. So those who switched to SDHC cards for RB3 (pretty much anybody with DLC who wanted to import RB2, since a single 2G SD card can only hold about 100 songs) were stuck with a library that couldn't be read by RB2. However, I found this problem easily solved by just popping in my 2G and redownloading to that.

    In which case, never mind!
  • KyleJCrbKyleJCrb Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    The main issue here is that Nintendo has limited WiiWare releases to about 45MB. The best you could do with that might be a very scaled-back version of the game (especially in terms of graphics) and MAYBE a single short song, or maybe a few songs with horribly compressed audio. Probably not gonna fly.
  • CrimsonbCrimsonb Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    KyleJCrb;4706535 said:
    The main issue here is that Nintendo has limited WiiWare releases to about 45MB. The best you could do with that might be a very scaled-back version of the game (especially in terms of graphics) and MAYBE a single short song, or maybe a few songs with horribly compressed audio. Probably not gonna fly.

    First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX! You would just have to download the game separately from the songs. But it isn't coming for Wii anyway! The best we can do is hope for a Wii U release.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    Crimsonb;4714719 said:
    First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX!
    Prove it? Show us one thing saying the game itself is under 45MB.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Crimsonb;4714719 said:
    First of all you really wouldn't have to scale back the game it self. It could be the same as it is in PS3 XBOX! You would just have to download the game separately from the songs. But it isn't coming for Wii anyway! The best we can do is hope for a Wii U release.
    Should be easy to figure this out on PS3 or Xbox 360 once the game launches; since the songs will be in a separate spot (DLC), the game code file size should be accurate once installed.

    By the by, I can't remember the last time I saw a game download that was lower than 50MB on PS3 that wasn't a PSP Mini.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    Icemage;4715649 said:
    Should be easy to figure this out on PS3 or Xbox 360 once the game launches; since the songs will be in a separate spot (DLC), the game code file size should be accurate once installed.

    Did they say the songs would be located separately? I missed that.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4716109 said:
    Did they say the songs would be located separately? I missed that.
    I'm not sure if a single trigger can even send items to two areas.

    Plus, it's a single download, just in a pack situation, like with Rock Band songs. The download is one thing, even with multiple items in it, so there's not even multiple items to separate.


    Edit: I'll change this to make sense once it's not 3:30AM.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4715037 said:
    Prove it? Show us one thing saying the game itself is under 45MB.

    Yeah, just the songs themselves would be WAY past the 45MB limit. An average song is what... about 25MBs? 25 songs would be around 600MBs...
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    The logic behind songs being located separately doesn't click with me at all. XBLA at the very least requires that the download is all-encompassing, and that the demo and the full version is a virtual switch-flip away. Furthermore, we know that Blitz songs are playable in RB3 off the bat (presumably playable only if you paid for the game). Thus, no matter what, we know that when you download Blitz, you're also downloading all the songs even if most of them are locked away until you purchase the full game. We can also infer that the latest RB3 patch (or one upcoming) was also designed to read the Blitz game package, even if it can't sort its songs into its own category (like DLC, RBN, LRB).

    Besides, even if the demo and the full version had different song packages, how would they be able to guarantee the demo version of the game wouldn't supply people free RB3 DLC if it all went into the RB3 folder?
    Sayburr;4716191 said:
    Yeah, just the songs themselves would be WAY past the 45MB limit. An average song is what... about 25MBs? 25 songs would be around 600MBs...
    Not to mention, different consoles compile things differently, so file sizes aren't uniform, even for the same game.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4716246 said:
    The logic behind songs being located separately doesn't click with me at all. XBLA at the very least requires that the download is all-encompassing, and that the demo and the full version is a virtual switch-flip away. Furthermore, we know that Blitz songs are playable in RB3 off the bat (presumably playable only if you paid for the game). Thus, no matter what, we know that when you download Blitz, you're also downloading all the songs even if most of them are locked away until you purchase the full game. We can also infer that the latest RB3 patch (or one upcoming) was also designed to read the Blitz game package, even if it can't sort its songs into its own category (like DLC, RBN, LRB).

    Besides, even if the demo and the full version had different song packages, how would they be able to guarantee the demo version of the game wouldn't supply people free RB3 DLC if it all went into the RB3 folder?
    So maybe the demo version (and retail version) releases with all the songs in a separate Blitz folder, and there's an in-game one-time menu option that transfers those files over the to the RB3 DLC location in the retail release? Shouldn't be that hard to accomplish, and I doubt Microsoft (or Sony) would object seeing how both titles are developed by Harmonix.
    Not to mention, different consoles compile things differently, so file sizes aren't uniform, even for the same game.
    We know from past experience that Wii Rock Band DLC files are noticeably smaller in size than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions (due to lower quality audio / more compression) by at least 15-20%, but that still leaves a gigantic download package that's way larger than anything allowed over WiiWare.

    The game code "could" be optimized down by downrezzing textures, etc. but that's a lot of extra work to put into a version that probably would not sell very well. We can blame whatever we want, but the honest truth is that Wii users, on the whole, tend to buy a lot less over the Wii Shop than 360 or PS3 owners. It's why RBN for Wii was discontinued, and why some developers have sworn off of working with Nintendo completely.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4716246 said:
    Besides, even if the demo and the full version had different song packages, how would they be able to guarantee the demo version of the game wouldn't supply people free RB3 DLC if it all went into the RB3 folder?
    Demo version only has one song visible, but the full game open, the demo 'lock'(being special and overriding whatever Rock Band 3 looks at to read it) is placed on the songs rather than the game.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2012
    Blitz, the game, will come as a single Arcade/PSN download with a few trial songs included, and all the trial/full infrastructure in place.

    All the Blitz songs will be delivered as a separate package which can be downloaded only after the full game is purchased. After this package is downloaded they will appear as standard RB3 format DLC on the console.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4718855 said:
    Blitz, the game, will come as a single Arcade/PSN download with a few trial songs included, and all the trial/full infrastructure in place.

    All the Blitz songs will be delivered as a separate package which can be downloaded only after the full game is purchased. After this package is downloaded they will appear as standard RB3 format DLC on the console.
    This works. But doesn't that mean we've got a few forced 'double-dips' in storage space since the trial songs are also in the package?
Sign In or Register to comment.