Rock Band Forums Band 2!!

GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Making a new thread for this second band, since the original thread is cluttered with all of the last lineup's stuff. Hopefully we can actually finish a song this time around.

Basically, we round up some musically talented folks from around these forums, and through means of the Internet, create music.

Lineup v.2
Guitar: dragoninforcer
Bass:
Keys/Piano:
Drums: GreatJedi7
Vocals:
MIDI Synth: LiveHomeVideo, GreatJedi7, dragoninforcer
Lyrics (If needed): Dangimarocker

(Keep in mind that we can have multiple guitarists, bassists, drummers, etc.)

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2012
    GreatJedi7;4700102 said:
    That could actually work. The last song pulled off the prog + electronic stuff pretty well I think, and even my solo chiptune project Nightlock has 4 songs (LHV was authoring an early non-chiptune version of one) on my album that tosses metal and chiptune into each other.

BTW what happened to that? We were talking, I still have it authored, yet somehow we've quit discussing it.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4700105 said:
    BTW what happened to that? We were talking, I still have it authored, yet somehow we've quit discussing it.

I think my parents pretty much threw everything down the toilet. I'd love to see it go up, but unfortunately my parents don't seem to have the same mindset as me. If it were to happen though, I'd love to send you the redone version that I pulled together for Nightlock so that could go up instead maybe.
    edited April 2012
    GreatJedi7;4700107 said:
    I think my parents pretty much threw everything down the toilet.

Oh. How unfortunate.

Hopefully this will work out to allow us to get this and all other songs on Rock Band, since I can technically say I share rights, due to being in the band.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited April 2012
    Well I'm working on some digital sounding effects for my guitar. I'll probably give you guys a preview of the sound in a bit.
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4700110 said:
    Oh. How unfortunate.

Hopefully this will work out to allow us to get this and all other songs on Rock Band, since I can technically say I share rights, due to being in the band.

So would that mean I wouldn't have to send HMX all my info? I'm personally cool with doing that, but my parents... not so much. Which is strange because they keep telling me to do whatever I can to get my music out there.
    edited April 2012
    I'm trying to leave my parents out of this as much as possible. They don't even know that I make music XD
    edited April 2012
    dragoninforcer;4700118 said:
    I'm trying to leave my parents out of this as much as possible. They don't even know that I make music XD

My mom's OK with anything I do with my music. She thinks that if I can get money for college with the stuff I do with RBN, she's cool with it.

And also, GreatJedi7, you wouldn't have to, since I could just give out mine (which I already have) and HMX could use that.
    edited April 2012
    My parents would probably be okay with me doing all this stuff, but then they'd want to listen to my music. That's a no for me.
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4700124 said:
    My mom's OK with anything I do with my music. She thinks that if I can get money for college with the stuff I do with RBN, she's cool with it.
    Lucky. It almost seems like my parents don't want me to make money aside from a "real job", which is funny since they keep telling me that they're tired of paying for stuff I want.
    And also, GreatJedi7, you wouldn't have to, since I could just give out mine (which I already have) and HMX could use that.

Cool. Well then that means I'm not dragging the band away from RBN. :)

Edit @DI: Same here. My mom likes that I'm finally following through with a creative project, and that the album's almost done, and all that stuff, buuuuut she keeps saying she wants to hear it. I'm not sure she wants to listen to about half an hour of a genre she called 'annoying' the other night.

Besides, they're all instrumentals, so it's not like they're vulgar or anything.
    edited April 2012
    I'd have to delete every song I start singing in. I'm shy as ****.
    edited April 2012
    GreatJedi7;4700131 said:

Edit @DI: Same here. My mom likes that I'm finally following through with a creative project, and that the album's almost done, and all that stuff, buuuuut she keeps saying she wants to hear it. I'm not sure she wants to listen to about half an hour of a genre she called 'annoying' the other night.

Besides, they're all instrumentals, so it's not like they're vulgar or anything.

My mom doesn't care. But if she did, I would try to write some alternate lyrics really fast. It's not that there's a ton of vulgarity in the lyrics (there is a few curse words here in there), but it's the fact that the lyrics are about stuff my mom doesn't understand: RPGs and other nerdy stuff.

And my mom doesn't like "cookie monster rock," so I would change those sections, too.
    edited April 2012
    Ah, I see.

Alright. So I guess we're electronic/chiptune with prog/metal elements?
    edited April 2012
    PONIES!!!!

I mean, yeah, I think that sounds right for the genre.
    edited April 2012
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    This is actually the 3rd band we tried to get together on the forums, for one reason or another, it never seems to work out.

Me, animemetalhead, overdrive, and Soratar were all working on songs and I think we had some done, and then all of a sudden it was like they fell off the face of the earth and aside from Youtube, I don't even hear from them anymore. But, good luck to you guys, I'd love to do it too, but my recording setup sucks. :(
    edited April 2012
    dragoninforcer;4700156 said:
    Cool.

Now what?

Well, unless we find additional bandmates, I think we start recording stuff. I think drummer goes first.
    edited April 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4700157 said:
    This is actually the 3rd band we tried to get together on the forums, for one reason or another, it never seems to work out.

The last one I did died because Danes jumped ship before he got his guitar part done, so hopefully that won't happen again. Which sucks, because it was turning out great.

EDIT: So since we're prog, should I use a really weird time signature even though I have no idea how they work?
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4700163 said:
    Well, unless we find additional bandmates, I think we start recording stuff. I think drummer goes first.
    Yeah, drums and bass generally go first, but it would be a good idea for the guitarist(s) to shoot some ideas to them first. It's hard to come up with a drum beat with nothing to go by and it's equally hard to come up with a guitar riff to go along with an already established drum beat.
    edited April 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4700168 said:
    it's equally hard to come up with a guitar riff to go along with an already established drum beat.

I'm pretty good at the opposite. My former drum teacher actually devoted an entire lesson to hearing a guitar riff, and then coming up with a groove to go with it. So if the Di wants to send me some material to work with, I could easily come up with something.
    edited April 2012
    GreatJedi7;4700165 said:

EDIT: So since we're prog, should I use a really weird time signature even though I have no idea how they work?

I would just say stick to 4/4 and 3/4 for starters, and maybe add something like 5/4 if you can comprehend that time signature.
    edited April 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4700174 said:
    I would just say stick to 4/4/ and 3/4 for starters, and maybe add something like 5/4 if you can comprehend that time signature.

Alright, 4/4 it is. Prepare for madness... Once I get some ideas. I'm kinda creatively burnt right now thanks to Nightlock.
    edited April 2012
    Well if you could give me some time to come up with some kind of riff, then yeah I could probably go first. Don't expect a finalized piece of art, just something from scratch.
    edited April 2012
    GreatJedi7;4700172 said:
    I'm pretty good at the opposite. My former drum teacher actually devoted an entire lesson to hearing a guitar riff, and then coming up with a groove to go with it. So if the Di wants to send me some material to work with, I could easily come up with something.
    Yeah, that's why usually guitarists start songs and drummers come in on top with a beat. That's why I think the drums are the most important part of the writing process. As soon as you get those down and have the basic idea for the guitar parts, it just snowball's from there.
    edited April 2012
    You do realize that 4/4 is the normal time signature, right?

Loljk, do what you can.
    edited April 2012
    writing music is hard.

I think I've got some stuff down, but they all sound too hard and heavy.

I'm trying my best to get more of a prog-esque sound into these riffs.
    edited April 2012
    dragoninforcer;4700210 said:
    writing music is hard.

I think I've got some stuff down, but they all sound too hard and heavy.

Well, let's hear it anyway!
    edited April 2012
    I wasn't recording, just jamming. Playing around with some sounds. I can't get to actual recording right now, but I think I might be able to get some really rough demos.
    edited April 2012
    edited April 2012
    Seeing as I'll have my house to myself tonight, I'm going to record some guitar riff ideas.