Modern Rock Band

wheatsquares33wheatsquares33 Opening Act
edited April 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
For "Modern Rock Band," all the songs are from the 21st century. Many are from the last few years, but the oldest one is from 2001, I think. The song list is fairly small (only 56 songs), but this wouldn't be a major game anyway. I have them tiered by band difficulty.

O= Keyboard support
X= Vocal harmonies

Warmup
Band Of Horses- Laredo (Indie)X
Black Eyed Peas- Let's Get It Started (Rap/Hip Hop)OX
Chad Kroeger ft. Josey Scott- Hero (Rock)OX
Hoobastank- The Reason (Pop Rock)O
MGMT- Kids (New Wave)O
Middle Class Rut- Are You On Your Way (Alternative)OX
The White Stripes- Blue Orchid (Rock)O
Taylor Swift ft. The Civil Wars- Safe & Sound (Country)OX

Apprentice
12 Stones- Lie To Me (Alternative)OX
The Ataris- Boys Of Summer (Pop Rock)X
Brand New- Sowing Season (Yeah) (Emo)OX
Johnny Cash- Hurt (Rock)O
Linkin Park- Faint (Nu-Metal)OX
Metric- Gold Gun Girls (Indie)OX
Santigold- L.E.S Artistes (New Wave)OX
The Unwritten Law- Seein' Red (Punk)X

Solid
AWOLNATION- Burn It Down (Rap/Hip Hop)OX
Foo Fighters- These Days (Alternative)OX
Gorillaz- On Melancholy Hill (Pop/Dance/Electronic)OX
Imagine Dragons- It's Time (Indie)OX
Joy Formidable- Whirring (Indie)OX
Nine-Inch Nails- Only (Rock)OX
Papa Roach- Getting Away With Murder (Alternative)OX
Sum 41- Motivation (Punk)X

Moderate
Bush- The Sound Of Winter (Alternative)O
Foxy Shazam- I Like It (Glam)OX
The Fray- Over My Head (Pop Rock)OX
Gary Clark, Jr.- Bright Lights (R&B/Funk/Soul)O
Kings Of Leon- Pyro (Rock)OX
KoRn- Narcissistic Cannibal (Nu-Metal)O
Pearl Jam- World Wide Suicide (Grunge)OX
Three Days Grace- Home (Nu-Metal)X

Challenging
311- Hey You (Reggae/Ska)OX
Black Keys- Gold On The Ceiling (Rock)OX
Coldplay- Violet Hill (Alternative)OX
Florence + The Machine- Dog Days Are Over (Indie)OX
John Mayer- Waiting On The World To Change (Pop Rock)OX
Mumford & Sons- Little Lion Man (Indie)OX
System Of A Down- Lonely Day (Nu-Metal)OX
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Y Control (Indie)O

Nightmare
Adele- Rolling In The Deep (R&B/Funk/Soul)OX
Airborne Toxic Event- All I Ever Wanted (Indie)O
Anberlin- Reclusion (Emo)OX
Chevelle- Vitamin R (Leading Us Along) (Metal)X
Divide The Day- Let It Roll (Rock)X
My Chemical Romance- Dead! (Emo)OX
Sick Puppies- Riptide (Alternative)O
Staind- Eyes Wide Open (Nu-Metal)X

Impossible
Alter Bridge- Isolation (Metal)OX
Avenged Sevenfold- Buried Alive (Metal)OX
Bullet For My Valentine- Scream, Aim, Fire! (Metal)X
Civil Twilight- Letters From The Sky (Alternative)OX
Mars Volta- The Widow (Progressive)OX
Muse- Knights Of Cydonia (Progressive)OX
Nightwish- Over The Hills And Far Away (Metal)OX
Rise Against- Paper Wings (Punk)X

Genres:
Alternative- 8
Country- 1
Emo- 3
Glam- 1
Grunge- 1
Indie- 8
Metal- 5
New Wave- 2
Nu-Metal- 5
Pop/Dance/Electronic- 1
Pop Rock- 4
Progressive- 2
Punk- 3
R&B/Funk/Soul- 2
Reggae/Ska- 1
Rap/Hip Hop- 2
Rock- 7

Easiest Guitar: Let's Get It Started
Hardest Guitar: Isolation
Easiest Bass: Kids
Hardest Bass: Scream, Aim, Fire!
Easiest Drums: Hurt
Hardest Drums: Scream, Aim, Fire!
Easiest Vocals: On Melancholy Hill
Hardest Vocals: Over The Hills And Far Away
Easiest Keys: Dead!
Hardest Keys: Over The Hills And Far Away

Comments

• Scythemaster 37Scythemaster 37 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    It needz moar LADYGAGA
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    Some questionable genre labels aside, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4703234 said:
    It needz moar LADYGAGA

How is she even Modern Rock?
    edited April 2012
    Same way that Adele, Black Eyed Peas, NIN, Johnny Cash, MGMT, Taylor Swift and Gorillaz are.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't buy it. It has Adele, who I can't stand, but on the bright side, KoRn and Bush aren't too bad, those songs in particular.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4703322 said:
    Same way that Adele, Black Eyed Peas, NIN, Johnny Cash, MGMT, Taylor Swift and Gorillaz are.

AKA, not modern rock (NIN is 90's). Which is why I disagree with the setlist.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited April 2012
    No Paramore in a modern Rock game?!? ;_;
  • Gunsrock13Gunsrock13 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Wow you are missing a lot of big modern rock bands.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4703398 said:

Hey look I agree with Cipher for once.

Honestly I think we should get Paramore in a Modern Rock Band. Brick By Boring Brick would be a good choice, but I'm not the biggest fan of Paramore, I just think they should be in a "modern" Rock Band since they are quite popular, and have been on two on-disc setlists.

Foster the People too. "Helena Beat" would be a reasonable choice, seeing as how we're getting "Pumped Up Kicks" in Blitz.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2012
    Your metal selections are quite possibly some the worst I've seen of any setlist.
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Meh, it's not too great... A few issues I have:

1. Covers. Both Boys of Summer and Over The Hills and Far away are covers of 2 80's songs, and I'm not sure if that would fit well.
    2. Song choices for some artists. I hate to say it, but I know there are better Taylor Swift songs than Safe and Sound. That among other things
    3. Your tiering is off on a bunch of songs. How the heck is Rolling in the Deep Nightmare tiered? Sure the vocals may be a bit harder, but everything else is pretty simple, plus the guitar is pretty empty. I'd also expect The Sound of Winter to be a tier lower, and Over The Hills..., while a very complex song, to be at least a high Challenging or low Nightmare.
  • wheatsquares33wheatsquares33 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try to get back to all your questions/comments.
    Scythemaster 37;4703234 said:
    It needz moar LADYGAGA
    Maybe. I'm definitely lacking in the pop/dance area, considering all I have is On Melancholy Hills, which doesn't even fit the genre very well.
    Mega-Tallica;4703271 said:
    Some questionable genre labels aside, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
    Thanks. I agree that some of the genre labels are off, but most are close enough.
    Scythemaster 37;4703322 said:
    The only one that I agree with you that shouldn't be considered modern rock is Johnny Cash. The rest, while not being exactly rock, are certainly modern and would go well in rock band.
    LiveHomeVideo;4703367 said:
    AKA, not modern rock (NIN is 90's). Which is why I disagree with the setlist.
    Sure, Nine-Inch Nails was most active in the nineties, but With Teeth is from 2005. I think anything from that album or any of the following could be considered modern rock. Plus, Only is a great song.
    Cipher_Peon;4703398 said:
    Certainly. Paramore is a great modern rock band. I strongly considered putting Ignorance or Playing God in here, but for some reason I just didn't.
    Gunsrock13;4703409 said:
    Wow you are missing a lot of big modern rock bands.
    I sort of wanted to have a mix of big modern rock bands (Three Days Grace, Coldplay, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.) and lesser known ones (Band Of Horses, Gary Clark Jr., Imagine Dragons, etc.). If you have any suggestions for big modern rock bands, tell me. I plan on editing this list anyway.
    FlyGuyLXI;4703451 said:
    Your metal selections are quite possibly some the worst I've seen of any setlist.
    Sorry. I'm not big into metal. There may not be a lot of metal, but I think its enough. If you have any suggestions, let me know because I'll gladly add them in.
    GandWuser;4703486 said:
    Meh, it's not too great... A few issues I have:

1. Covers. Both Boys of Summer and Over The Hills and Far away are covers of 2 80's songs, and I'm not sure if that would fit well.
    2. Song choices for some artists. I hate to say it, but I know there are better Taylor Swift songs than Safe and Sound. That among other things
    3. Your tiering is off on a bunch of songs. How the heck is Rolling in the Deep Nightmare tiered? Sure the vocals may be a bit harder, but everything else is pretty simple, plus the guitar is pretty empty. I'd also expect The Sound of Winter to be a tier lower, and Over The Hills..., while a very complex song, to be at least a high Challenging or low Nightmare.
    1. And Hurt. I'm planning on taking that out, as it is a cover, not really modern rock, and the second NIN song on the setlist. I didn't even know Over The Hills was a cover.

2. Yeah, I probably could get a better Taylor Swift song.

3. Okay, maybe I'm just really crappy at tiering, but I gave Rolling In The Deep five devils for vocals, four stars for drums, five for keys, and 1 for bass and guitar. That may be really off, but it's just what I thought. I have all the tiers for individual instruments actually done.

Once again, thanks for the comments and I'll start working on editing this list.
    edited April 2012
    wheatsquares33;4703591 said:

Maybe. I'm definitely lacking in the pop/dance area, considering all I have is On Melancholy Hills, which doesn't even fit the genre very well.

The only one that I agree with you that shouldn't be considered modern rock is Johnny Cash. The rest, while not being exactly rock, are certainly modern and would go well in rock band.

Yes, it'd be awesome. And I was only responding to LHV about his comment of how Lady Gaga wasn't modern rock; I was pointing out examples on your list that weren't modern rock.

I am TOTALLY in favor of EVERY genre getting into Rock Band and I can't wait until the stupid 'It's called "ROCK" band' thing dies, because it's a rhythm game, not a rock game. They can put whatever they want in it, and preferably music that will sell well like pop, country, ect.

I also agree that there are many Taylor Swift songs much better than "Safe & Sound".

As far a tiering goes, I don't really care because I'm horrible at tiering songs anyway.

Covers are fine, almost all the official RB games have at least 1 cover on them. I know RB1 (Many AMFB covers and "Train Kept a Rollin'" [A cover of a cover of a cover haha]), RB2 ("Kids in America"), L:RB ("Real Wild Child", "Life Is a Highway" & "Word Up!"), and RB3 ("I Love Rock 'N Roll") have covers on them.

Honestly, I'd rather you replace NIN than Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is so amazing.

Also, I saw a good bit of songs that you didn't have marked for Harmonies that would definitely have harmonies, so I would recommend just not noting whether a song has keys or harmonies.
  • SJ0414SJ0414 Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Scythemaster 37;4703771 said:
    Yes, it'd be awesome. And I was only responding to LHV about his comment of how Lady Gaga wasn't modern rock; I was pointing out examples on your list that weren't modern rock.

I am TOTALLY in favor of EVERY genre getting into Rock Band and I can't wait until the stupid 'It's called "ROCK" band' thing dies, because it's a rhythm game, not a rock game. They can put whatever they want in it, and preferably music that will sell well like pop, country, ect.

I also agree that there are many Taylor Swift songs much better than "Safe & Sound".

As far a tiering goes, I don't really care because I'm horrible at tiering songs anyway.

Covers are fine, almost all the official RB games have at least 1 cover on them. I know RB1 (Many AMFB covers and "Train Kept a Rollin'" [A cover of a cover of a cover haha]), RB2 ("Kids in America"), L:RB ("Real Wild Child", "Life Is a Highway" & "Word Up!"), and RB3 ("I Love Rock 'N Roll") have covers on them.

Honestly, I'd rather you replace NIN than Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is so amazing.

Also, I saw a good bit of songs that you didn't have marked for Harmonies that would definitely have harmonies, so I would recommend just not noting whether a song has keys or harmonies.

Although the emphasis of the game should be loosely be around rock, I'm perfectly fine with Harmonix throwing in some variety into the mix; Lady Gaga is surprisingly fun to play.

Anyways good list, despite the limitations of sticking within just a decade or so of music. Needs some more grunge or post-grunge though.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Too much modern pop for my liking, a lot of stuff I've never even heard of and a couple of songs I simply cannot stand (Adele and Black Eyed Peas).

Well done for Mumford & Sons, Coldplay and the Black Keys though, those save the setlist for me.
  • Gunsrock13Gunsrock13 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Well for bands if it's any music from 2000 onwards you could fit a Megadeath song in this list. Also I think that there should be a Paramore song. As for some song suggestions Headstrong by Trapt and Locust by Machinehead. Also I have to agree with FlyGuy your metal picks are pretty weak.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    I would buy this just for Alter Bridge, A7X, and Bullet For My Valentine.