Rock Band: Progressive

RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
edited April 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Okay, it is known I like prog. This is an idea I had. This game would feature many prog bands from over the years, but would contain 2+ songs from these bands:

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Dream Theater
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
Yes
Rush

Mmmkay, let's do this.

Act I: Humble Beginnings (1967-1969)
The Nice- America
Arthur Brown- Fire
Pink Floyd- See Emily Play
Jethro Tull- Living in the Past
The Shiver- Repent Walpurgis
Procol Harum- A Salty Dog
The Moody Blues- Nights in White Satin

Final Epic: King Crimson- The Court of the Crimson King

Act II: Taking Shape (1970-1972)
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer- The Endless Enigma, Parts 1 & 2
Jethro Tull- Locomotive Breath
Camel- Lady Fantasy
Genesis- Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
Van Der Graaf Generator- Octopus
Gentle Giant- Funny Ways
King Crimson- In The Wake of Poseidon
Yes- Siberian Khatru

Final Epic: Pink Floyd- Echoes

Act III: Becoming Pop (1973-1978)
Yes- Sound Chaser
Pink Floyd- Dogs
King Crimson- Starless
Genesis- The Lamia
Kansas- Lamplight Symphony
Styx- Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Rush- La Villa Strangiato

Final Epic: Emerson, Lake, & Palmer- Karn Evil 9

Act IV: Revival (1979-1991)
Marillion- Kayleigh
Qüeensryche- Jet City Woman
King Crimson- Discipline
Pink Floyd- Sorrow
Genesis- Land of Confusion
Dream Theater- The Ytse Jam
Asia- Heat of the Moment
Supertramp- Goodbye Stranger
Rush- Freewill

Final Epic: Yes- Machine Messiah

Act V: New Sounds for a New Century (1992-2000)
Dream Theater- Metropolis, Part 1
Pink Floyd- High Hopes
Yes- The Calling
Dream Theater- Peruvian Skies
Rush- Roll The Bones

Final Epic: Spock's Beard- The Light

Act VII: Trooping On (2001-2011
Transatlantic- Suite Charlotte Pike
Spock's Beard- Made Alive/Overture
Porcupine Tree- Lazarus
Steven Wilson- Sectarian
Phideaux- Helix
Moon Safari- Methuselah's Children
Big Big Train- Victorian Brickwork
Galleon- Fall of Fame
Rush- Workin' Them Angels

Final Epic: Dream Theater- The Count of Tuscany

Count: 51 songs

I know the lack of Van Der Graaf Generator and Soft Machine is disappointing, I totally spaced it. I'll make another version of this later. This is pretty rough, but I like it so far. Constructive criticism and comments are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited April 2012
    This game will sell like 2 copies, unfortunately. I would buy it even though I only head of one song.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2012
    Perhaps you should'nt've have left out Soft Machine? Because it marks the total absence of Canterbury Sound bands/artists. I mean it would help to limit to one song per band. Progressive rock is a larger genre than many people usually anticipate as.

Consider submissions from Krautrock, Avant-prog, Italian prog, Zeuhl and maybe even post-rock respectively too.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited April 2012
    I like a lot of the choices on here especially early on however I guess I'm not much of a newer prog fan except Porcupine Tree.
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4710491 said:
    This game will sell like 2 copies, unfortunately. I would buy it even though I only head of one song.

Better than none.
    Perhaps you should'nt've have left out Soft Machine? Because it marks the total absence of Canterbury Sound bands/artists. I mean it would help to limit to one song per band. Progressive rock is a larger genre than many people usually anticipate as.

Consider submissions from Krautrock, Avant-prog, Italian prog, Zeuhl and maybe even post-rock respectively too.
    I did take that last part into account, and I'll try to integrate them into a new version (along with Soft Machine). I know the 2+ song thing for certain bands may seem strange, but I thought that certain bands just stuck out and defined the genre. But I do understand where you are coming from.
    I like a lot of the choices on here especially early on however I guess I'm not much of a newer prog fan except Porcupine Tree.
    Thanks, glad you like it.
  • word_cottonword_cotton Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Didn't Procol Harum write Repent Walpurgis? Also Killer would make a much better choice for Van Der Graaf.
  • edited April 2012
    Slightly disappointed to not see bands like IQ and Flower Kings on there, they're both big enough in the prog genre to warrant a track on something like this. I'd also give the zeuhl subgenre a nod with Magma. Progressive metal is underrepresented as well, and really needs the inclusion of artists like Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and Opeth. And although I completely understand their absence, I really would like to see a Gazpacho track on a progressive setlist, since they're pretty much the best modern prog rock band of the past ten years. You're also missing the two arguably most well known modern prog bands, though, The Mars Volta and Coheed & Cambria.

As for song choices, most of them are pretty decent, except for Marillion, which is a pretty terrible pick, especially if you put them into the 'revival' section, in which case it would need to be a Hogarth track. It's like putting Owner of a Lonely Heart on a disc as the sole Yes selection. A proggier track by them would be much more suitable for a disc dedicated to prog.

Sorry if I sound a bit too critical, but as you may have guessed I'm a huge prog fan as well. Overall I like the concept and the way you build up your setlist.
  • RionaaMRionaaM Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    I'd really like to see this game come true, but I don't think it'll have that big of a market to begin with.

As for the actual songs, I don't think Supertramp could be considered a prog-rock band, although they have a couple of songs belonging to that genre. If I could make a suggestion, I'd replace Goodbye Stranger for Child of Vision (or Gone Hollywood), as they would fit better on the Revival chapter. And I'll add either Try Again or Nothing to Show, also by Supertramp (their first album was a lot more progressive than their latter work).

Then, regarding Yes, I think both Siberian Khatru and Sound Chaser have a "hard-prog" feeling, so I'd replace the latter with To Be Over (which would suit the Becoming Pop chapter). I feel the opposite with Genesis' Land of Confusion; I'd rather have Domino.

And to finish this post, I'd like to see some Alan Parsons Project, maybe Some Other Time, The Turn of a Friendly Card (the whole suite), Prime time or Hyper-Gamma-Spaces/Shadow of a Lonely Man.
    edited April 2012
    Der_Lex;4712320 said:
    It's like putting Owner of a Lonely Heart on a disc as the sole Yes selection.
    Oh man, I love that song!
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4712430 said:

Then you'll love Kayleigh, because it's the same sort of sellout song!

I kinda like it, though.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited April 2012
    I don't know how Land of Confusion makes it onto a prog setlist. Everything in the Revival section is more pop than everything in the Becoming Pop section.

The setlist is good but it is lacking. People have already mentioned the Canterbury scene, which is important, Gong offThe Soft Machine would be great additions. Same with krautrock. Can, Amon Duul II, or Neu! would be great. I also think bands like Atomic Rooster, Death, Ne Obliviscaris, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Vektor, Uriah Heep and Pure Reason Revolution would fit in nicely.
    edited April 2012
    word_cotton;4712317 said:
    Didn't Procol Harum write Repent Walpurgis? Also Killer would make a much better choice for Van Der Graaf.

Yes, Procol Harum did write Repent Walpurgis. However, a Swiss "heavy" progressive group named The Shiver created their own version, which is much better in my opinon. Here it is.

Thank you everyone for your input and comments! Another version will be created in time.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Not bad at all. I'd get it.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    I know they're one of the least prog prog bands, but you gotta stick some Kansas in there.
  • edited April 2012
    True, I still really want to see Magnum Opus in RB one day.
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    You should replace Count of Tuscany with Octavarium, it's their ultimate epic
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4713508 said:
    I know they're one of the least prog prog bands, but you gotta stick some Kansas in there.

There is some, Lamplight Suite is their song.
    You should replace Count of Tuscany with Octavarium, it's their ultimate epic
    Major tie between those two, as I love both of them. I figured the Count of Tuscany would work a little better due to its shorter length than Octavarium.
  • Logan812Logan812 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    There's the possibility of Yes: Rock Band.

All that's needed is Closer to the Edge and Tales From the Topographic Oceans full albums and that alone will take up all of the allotted disc space for music.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited April 2012
    generalbane;4713628 said:
    You should replace Count of Tuscany with A Change of Seasons, it's their ultimate epic

Fixed, good sir.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4712430 said:

But why?! D:
    edited April 2012
    soup567;4715384 said:
    Fixed, good sir.

That's a better fix.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited April 2012
    soup567;4715384 said:
    Fixed, good sir.

A Change of Seasons, Metropolis (The Miracle and the Sleeper) and Lifting Shadows off a Dream are some of their most well-crafted songs yeah.
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4715428 said:
    But why?! D:
    Because it's awesome! :D
  • generalbanegeneralbane Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    soup567;4715384 said:
    Fixed, good sir.
    Yeah, I guess you're right ;) However, if there was any DT song that was to be the closer to a game, you can't beat the ultimate epicness of the ending to Octavarium.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4715775 said:
    Because it's awesome! :D

It's potantially their worst song
    edited April 2012
    GameMaster439;4719045 said:
    It IS their worst song

Fixed.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2012
    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is at least more interesting than half of Fragile.
    edited April 2012
    FlyGuyLXI;4719115 said:
    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is at least more interesting than half of Fragile.

I found Fragile to be very good, actually. Even the Wakeman and Howe solo pieces were pretty good.