Empire State Gamer - Rock Band Blitz Interview

AldoESGAldoESG Unsigned
edited April 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Hey all,

I'm the editor for an NYC-based gaming site called Empire State Gamer, and we luckily had the chance to nab an interview opportunity with the folks at Harmonix regarding Rock Band Blitz.

While I know most of you are already well-read on the game itself, I figured I would post a link to our interview on this forum for those who would like to take a gander at it. You never know - you may just find out something new about the game!

ESG Interview: Harmonix Talks Rock Band Blitz

Any feedback and/or comments would be much appreciated - take care everyone!

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2012
    Nice interview, thanks for pointing it out to us. Interesting that the buildings change based on the song.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2012
    Excellent interview and good job covering the main details most people will want to know. :-)
    Sayburr;4717194 said:
    Nice interview, thanks for pointing it out to us. Interesting that the buildings change based on the song.
    One other thing mentioned in one of the demos is that not only do the buildings change based on the song, but the in-game lighting is based off of the stage lighting cues in each song.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    Pretty good interview. The only info I gained was that the game, and the RB3 Main Menu presumably, takes place in "Rock City".

I won't hold it against you, HMX.
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4717393 said:
    The only info I gained was that the game, and the RB3 Main Menu presumably, takes place in "Rock City".

It was built on Rock N' Roll.
  • AldoESGAldoESG Unsigned
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had aimed to try and ask some questions that fans of the games would ask, and while I certainly could have asked much more, it's usually nice to keep a limit on what is asked of a developer =P

My only gripe is not asking about the various power-ups shown in the game in further detail. Oh well!
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4717393 said:
    The only info I gained was that the game, and the RB3 Main Menu presumably, takes place in "Rock City".

Detroit?
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    LoopyChew;4717318 said:
    Excellent interview and good job covering the main details most people will want to know. :-)

One other thing mentioned in one of the demos is that not only do the buildings change based on the song, but the in-game lighting is based off of the stage lighting cues in each song.

But it was too hard to get the stage kit to work with Blitz?

(harumph harumph)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2012
    Interesting interview. I find it odd that he suggests that it was part of the Rock Band platform from the start, when the PAX panel depicted the game as having been developed into a prototype before that decision was made. I suppose it depends on one's frame of reference, since if he joined on as project lead around the time of the decision to use the RB library then that would be "the start" from his point of view.
    Sayburr;4717194 said:

One cool specific I remember from the PAX panel was that they sort of track the number of notes per section, and from that they interpret how "intense" each section is, so slower and calmer sections will tend to get areas like parks, while crazier parts will get the bustling city areas.

... I wonder if big chunks of those The Who songs take place in a vacant lot.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2012
    LuigiHann;4717958 said:
    Interesting interview. I find it odd that he suggests that it was part of the Rock Band platform from the start, when the PAX panel depicted the game as having been developed into a prototype before that decision was made. I suppose it depends on one's frame of reference, since if he joined on as project lead around the time of the decision to use the RB library then that would be "the start" from his point of view.

You are right, that wasn't really clear in the interview. But those readers didn't have the context of the PAX panel, where we discussed how when my team started on the game after the first prototype round we made the decision to make it a Rock Band game.