Animation Domination

GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
edited February 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
It's no surprise I think animation is wonderful and has merits into adulthood, which isn't exactly uncommon given I grew up during the beggining of the toonami anime boom which detailed shonen anime and shojo anime imports, which to this date challenged the concept of "cartoons are for kids", though Duckman and The Critic did so as well. I will use this thread as a way to showcase general animation discussion; including anime. As I find both western and eastern animation as simply fantastic in many regards. My personal tastes may seem fascinated or bounded in technicality, writing, and production.

For first discussion, I'm going to slide out an unaired pilot Nickolodeon canceled on for crap reasons in 2001, that probably might of been interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgkLxw-6Xk

Take notice to the backgrounds and fluid animation. This kind of effort isn't seen often in western animation (and if you know me, I hate lazy).

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2012
    Animation reminds me of Ben 10, but with more effort put into it.

Also, show's not bad. I think it could have caught on. Much better than Fanboy and Chum Chum IMO.

When I saw the title, I was worried it was about Fox's animation lineup. Thank God it's on something totally different :p
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited April 2012
    As stated earlier I've enrolled myself in a 2D animation class and it's by far my most interesting class this semester and it has actually made me appreciate animation more and what was put into it, though specifically western and classical. Joe Murray and Tex Avery I would like to sight as my influences if I ever make a decent-length segment of a cartoon. Which might be soon as my class final project.

I watched a combination of western animation and anime when I was younger but as I aged I started leaning towards western animation a lot more. I usually refer to a lot of the classics now like Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Popeye and then Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life. Rocko's Modern Life to me is like the perfect cartoon in every way. I love the characters, the clever stories and how it somewhat reflects the 50s style while retaining a bit of sitcom element, how it both appeals to kids and adults and especially the animation concepts. It's one of two TV series I still watch re-runs of and I never tire of them, Seinfeld being the other.

Back to overall western animation. I think I appreciate the way the art defies reality but not completely and how, like rubber, characters interact with every critical element around them. It allows for some clever concepts that doesn't have to relate much to the story, but rather a test on the animator's skill and imagination.

I can't get into any cartoons currently running today. It just doesn't have that flare to me and I can't get into the character profiles and learn to love them. At worst, I find them ridiculously annoying. The only ones I can think of I watch are The Simpsons, but it's more geared towards a general sitcom rule than a demonstration of animation.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited April 2012
    The main character reminds me of Jade from Jackie Chan Adventures. But yeah, I hope Micah would reprop this pilot to another network, because I think it'd present good animation and writing for anyone really. Has some charm to it.

Haha, I'm just uncreative with thread titles.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited April 2012
    I find it amusing that there are internet animators with way more artistic talent than many of the art and animation shown on television today.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited April 2012
    Dr. Payne (?) reminds me of Guile (or, at least his combat tactics) from the original Street Fighter arcade game, back when I played it.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    The Venture brothers is a pretty well animated show, at least by western standards.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Cubecubed;4720850 said:
    The Venture brothers is a pretty well animated show, at least by western standards.

Love that show, along with early Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frisky Dingo, and Metalocalypse from that Adult Swim lineup. I really enjoyed Home Movies as well, and Archer on Fx is hilarious. I also highly recommend any Kim Possible episodes on YouTube; that's easily one of my favorite series.

Animation-wise, I loved the styles of Samurai Jack and The Boondocks. Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Dexter's Lab, and Ed, Edd n Eddy were some fun shows from the early 90s to mid 00s on Cartoon Network. Aeon Flux was fun as part of MTV's failed Liquid Television, along with Ren and Stimpy from Nick. And of course all the old classics from Hannah Barbara, Warner Brothers, and Disney. Not to mention Animaniacs, Tale Spin, Duck Tales, and all those from the 90s.

I was never hugely exposed to Anime when I was younger, so I'm kind of catching up on all of it now. So far I've enjoyed Samurai X, Ghost in the Shell, the Gundam Series, Evangelion, Grenadier, Read or Die...pretty much all the popular ones that crossed over. :p Luckily I can find a ton on Netflix, so I'm going through those now. Currently working on Elfen Lied, Gunslinger Girl, and Death Note.

Oh, and M.A.S.K. >>>> G.I. Joe. Yeah, I went there.
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    dragoninforcer;4720588 said:
    I find it amusing that there are internet animators with way more artistic talent than many of the art and animation shown on television today.
    Don't confuse artistic talent with the desire to have a pay cheque.

Individuals over the internet have a lot more control over what they put out for themselves as a final product than what they would working for a large production, that doesn't mean either area is lacking in talent. On rare occassion you can make somethng to be proud of and make money...treasure those gems.

For myself, I don't care where the animation comes from, as long as it's good and entertaining. Both western and eastern styles have had more than their share of hits and misses. Of recent note, I am a huge fan of the Avatar series and Red vs. Blue. Two older series I dearly loved were Cowboy Beebop and Clone High, the latter getting tragically cut short due to political correctness gone amuck.

I like a lot of computer generated stuff, as it's come along way over the past 20 years, but nothing gets me more excited than seeing some amazing classicaly drawn animation. "Cats Don't Dance" is just about the best movie I can think of where they married the two techniques together near flawlessly. If you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it especially if you are a fan of the older looney tunes school of thought. (and don't mind a bit of musical stylings in your cartoons).
    lol, nostalgia gone crazy.
    edited April 2012
    I don't know why but I never really was entertained by Ed, Edd & Eddy as a show. Not even when I was younger, maybe I was just moving past a certain type of cartoon at that point. As for Cats Don't Dance, the film has a lot of issues but as an animated piece (and a musical) it does its job damn well and well I am quite the fan of Scott Bakula and if I recall correctly he voiced the lead.
    was never hugely exposed to Anime when I was younger, so I'm kind of catching up on all of it now. So far I've enjoyed Samurai X, Ghost in the Shell, the Gundam Series, Evangelion, Grenadier, Read or Die...pretty much all the popular ones that crossed over. Luckily I can find a ton on Netflix
    There is a LOT on netflix and hulu. I'm currently going through a funimation+ subscription, so I'm getting a lot of option to sample through there. I'm currently watching A Certain Magical Index, The Sacred Blacksmith, Okami and Her Seven Companions, Stigma of the Wind and Fairy Tail.
    The zaniness kind of wore me out, in all honesty I'd love it more if the jokes were more subtle and it took itself more seriously. I understand the soul/point of the show is the opposite of that, but just stating what I'd like to see.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited April 2012
    Animation was, and still is, such an integral part of my life, I could probably swap out a vital organ with it and still be fine. I remember the first cartoon I could understand was Rugrats. Arlene Klasky managed to perfectly convey the budding imagination of a toddler through her wild adventures and everyday locations turned into a sprawling wilderness. I wouldn't understand how any kid couldn't be drawn to it (pardon the pun.)

I never really grew out of animation compared to my peers who enjoyed ESPN and so forth at an early age. Real life programming just didn't click with me, and it felt much more limited compared to the world of Animation. My preference of animation over reality annoyed my mom, telling me to "Grow up and watch something real." Normally, parental ridicule is a sad situation, but the silver lining for this moment of abuse was the irony of an artist telling me not to watch still pictures be brought to life through animation.

My world views were strongly shaped by certain shows like Hey Arnold! A simple show of a boy with a peculiar shaped head taught me plenty of things about people and treating others with decency, sometimes tackling real life issues with a symbolic character:

Pigeon Man - Just because someone lives differently doesn't make them any less of a human being.
    Eugene - Being the friend to the one who has none.
    Chocolate Boy - Drug Addiction

All these characters and more with their own personal struggles are highly similar to what regular people in the real world face everyday. If I feel a connection to the character and sympathize with them, that's real enough for me.

Animation has clearly come a long way, not just through art style, but demographic as well. For the past few decades, animation has also catered more towards adults with raunchy humor or suggestive art styles. (As I type this up, I had an episode of Persona 4: The Animation loading on Anime Media. On both sides of the player window were anime girls in bikinis.) Walls were being torn down as to what popped in people's minds when they heard the word "Animation." Today some walls that seemed to last forever have been leveled into dust, and you probably know what I'm about to lead into, but I feel it should be addressed as part of my post, not just for my own history, but for society as a whole.

As most of you here are all well aware of, I was sucked into the craze of FiM last summer. I'll admit, on first hearing about what kind of following the show had garnered, I was skeptical and somewhat dumbfounded. Those two feelings bred curiosity, and I became one of the herd. I don't want to convert this thread into something that already has a thread, so I'll just leave this here:

Why Adult Men Like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    (I posted the same thing in the actual thread, but I figured the fellow forum goers who frequent that thread already knew why they were there.)

What does an article about the fanbase have to do with animation? Everything really. To take a piece from the article,
    Hotdiggedydemon said:
    The fascinating thing about the phenomenon, and the reason why non-Bronies are perplexed, is that never before has something in the entertainment world been so passionately embraced by the demographic it was never intended for. And therein lies the enigma.
    Animation continues to grow and prosper, much like the kids who originally watched cartoons and still do today. Animation is a form of art, and the idea kids should "grow up" from art they continue to enjoy is just absurd.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited April 2012
    Current list of anime shows airing this season that I'm watching

Hyoka
    Kore wa Zombie
    Medaka Box
    Acchi Kocchi
    Sankarea
    Upotte!!

So far I can definitely recommend Sankarea for its excellent story, and Hyoka has really excellent drawing and artistry, as well as interpretation. I'd recommend both if you're looking for anything airing this season
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited April 2012
    CJHobbes;4721221 said:
    Love that show, along with early Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frisky Dingo, and Metalocalypse from that Adult Swim lineup. I really enjoyed Home Movies as well, and Archer on Fx is hilarious. I also highly recommend any Kim Possible episodes on YouTube; that's easily one of my favorite series.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force is hit or miss. If they write a funny episode, it's awesome otherwise it's rather meh. I've heard good things about Archer but have only caught bits and pieces of a couple of episodes.

Metalocalypse is probably my favorite show on Adult Swim. Between the dark animation style, the absurd amounts of violence, and all of the references to Metal bands, songs, and albums that go over most people's heads but are added easter eggs in the show to Metalheads such as myself. Not to mention the real life Metal musicians that are guest voices in episodes (one episode had Ihsahn from Emperor be the voice actor to the murderous fashion designer and anther episode had King Diamond as the voice actor to the manager of the fast food joint appropriately named "Dimmu Burger").
    Animation-wise, I loved the styles of Samurai Jack and The Boondocks. Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Dexter's Lab, and Ed, Edd n Eddy were some fun shows from the early 90s to mid 00s on Cartoon Network. Aeon Flux was fun as part of MTV's failed Liquid Television, along with Ren and Stimpy from Nick. And of course all the old classics from Hannah Barbara, Warner Brothers, and Disney. Not to mention Animaniacs, Tale Spin, Duck Tales, and all those from the 90s.
    Ah the good old Disney Afternoon block from the late 80's early 90's, I remember those shows well. That was Disney at it's best, post death of Walt Disney.

Also, MTV had some pretty good animation in it's day between Liquid Televison, Beavis and Butthead, Daria, and Downtown. It's a shame that they basically closed the doors on that instead of making a channel called "Liquid Television" specifically for their Animation.
    I was never hugely exposed to Anime when I was younger, so I'm kind of catching up on all of it now. So far I've enjoyed Samurai X, Ghost in the Shell, the Gundam Series, Evangelion, Grenadier, Read or Die...pretty much all the popular ones that crossed over. :p Luckily I can find a ton on Netflix, so I'm going through those now. Currently working on Elfen Lied, Gunslinger Girl, and Death Note.
    I've enjoyed Basilisk, Cowboy BeBop, and Hellsing as far as Anime goes. Still have lots to catch up on.

Siverhawks >>>> M.A.S.K. and G.I. Joe combined.
    edited May 2012
    HeyRiles;4725259 said:
    Current list of anime shows airing this season that I'm watching

Hyoka
    Kore wa Zombie
    Medaka Box
    Acchi Kocchi
    Sankarea
    Upotte!!

So far I can definitely recommend Sankarea for its excellent story, and Hyoka has really excellent drawing and artistry, as well as interpretation. I'd recommend both if you're looking for anything airing this season
    Sweet, thanks for the recommendations Riles. I'll have to check these out.
    darkwinterbeast8;4725447 said:
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force is hit or miss. If they write a funny episode, it's awesome otherwise it's rather meh. I've heard good things about Archer but have only caught bits and pieces of a couple of episodes.
    I enjoyed the early seasons (1-3) of ATHF much more than their more recent stuff. It's always a completely off the wall show, but somehow that early stuff just feels a bit more cohesive. Actually, anything post-movie has been kinda bleh to me. All in all, though, I agree: the show is very hit/miss.

If you ever watched Frisky Dingo, you'll enjoy Archer. It's the same team doing the show; they had to halt production on FD because Adult Swim didn't renew their contract (which completely sucks because Season 2 ended on a huge cliffhanger, and now season 3 will probably never come about). Plus H. Jon Benjamin is just hilarious to listen to and my second favorite modern voice actor (Patrick Warburton being my favorite). That might be sacrilege to admit, because there are tons of great voice actors out there, but those two are definitely my current favorites.
    Also, MTV had some pretty good animation in it's day between Liquid Televison, Beavis and Butthead, Daria, and Downtown. It's a shame that they basically closed the doors on that instead of making a channel called "Liquid Television" specifically for their Animation.

I've enjoyed Basilisk, Cowboy BeBop, and Hellsing as far as Anime goes. Still have lots to catch up on.

Siverhawks >>>> M.A.S.K. and G.I. Joe combined.

Yeah, I was bummed when they just cancelled the show. It might have been a bit too early for its time; I'm sure had MTV tried it the past decade it might have grown some stronger legs.

I never did catch Silverhawks, but I've heard good things about it. I'll have to check it out.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    Only one mention of Avatar and none so far about Korra? I am disappoint. Avatar and Korra have some incredibly fluid animation--particularly during the fighting scenes--and manage to be incredibly deep (and dark!) for something that would normally be written off as kid's stuff. I think of them as this generation's Batman: The Animated Series.

My anime tastes rest squarely in the '95-'05 era, between Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Hellsing, Full Metal Panic!, FLCL, Kodocha, Beck, Black Heaven, and Rurouni Kenshin (both the TV show and its OAV), amongst others. My older brother introduced me to other things like Macross Plus and Ah! My Goddess, as well as showed me the improving quality of English tracks to the point where I started listening to the dub more often than watching the sub.

For me, though, Batman: The Animated Series will always be my go-to for great animation, voice-acting and storytelling. Not every episode was a hit, but those that landed were excellent. Not to mention, every single episode having a unique score--something unheard of even in bigger-budget television shows.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    LoopyChew;4727103 said:
    Only one mention of Avatar and none so far about Korra? I am disappoint. Avatar and Korra have some incredibly fluid animation--particularly during the fighting scenes--and manage to be incredibly deep (and dark!) for something that would normally be written off as kid's stuff. I think of them as this generation's Batman: The Animated Series.
    Funny that you make that comparison considering the guy who voiced the Big Bad of Avatar: The last Airbender was none other than Mark Hamill, who voiced The Joker in Batman: The Animated Series.
    For me, though, Batman: The Animated Series will always be my go-to for great animation, voice-acting and storytelling. Not every episode was a hit, but those that landed were excellent. Not to mention, every single episode having a unique score--something unheard of even in bigger-budget television shows.

Good points, always thought more shows should do the unique scores. Also Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory and Harley Quinn originally were from this show before being adapted into the comics.
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Cartoons I can't stop watching right now would consist solely of Regular Show. Love it.

My favorites though, are much farther reaching than just that.

Venture Bros, Boondocks, and Metalacolypse are by far my favorite western shows still in production.

As far as anime goes, there are a ton that I've watched and enjoyed. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Baccano!, Durarara, Mnemosyme, Disgaea, Yu Yu Hakusho, GunGrave, Code Geass, Trinity Blood, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist (as well as FMA Brotherhood), Death Note, and I also have Hellsing on docket to watch next, as well as a recommendation from a friend to watch Angel Beats.

To me, an animated show only needs one of two things for me to watch and enjoy it. Outstanding writing or outstanding artistic aesthetics. Animation itself isn't a killer for me, otherwise half of the anime I enjoy wouldn't be on this list. Berserk, in large part, is terribly animated, but the story and characters are so amazing that I easily look past the shoddy production.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Basically you will watch whatever AS will show you...the best show Berserk could never make it to AS due to the eclipse though. lol. I haven't enjoyed a anime since Berserk tbh. Champloo was alright I guess. All of these other animes seem very DBZ to me and I got over that by elementary. Bad guy attacks, good guy loses. Then later he comes back and still loses but finds a power and beats bad guy after talking straight for 3 episodes...ugh.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I find it amazing to watch Archer. I know some people younger than me who love it, but haven't seen any of the shows that the staff made previously.

It's amazing to see the differences in animation between Archer and their previous programs, notably Frisky Dingo and Sealab 2021. While still maintaining their flash animation style, they've evolved a lot.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4721605 said:

animation has also catered more towards adults with raunchy humor or suggestive art styles. (As I type this up, I had an episode of Persona 4: The Animation loading on Anime Media. On both sides of the player window were anime girls in bikinis.)
    I love animation, but for people to stare at half naked or naked drawings to me seems weird... :\
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    darkwinterbeast8;4733401 said:
    Funny that you make that comparison considering the guy who voiced the Big Bad of Avatar: The last Airbender was none other than Mark Hamill, who voiced The Joker in Batman: The Animated Series.
    I also noticed that Korra's nemesis Amon is being voiced by Steve Blum aka Spike Spiegel.

Good points, always thought more shows should do the unique scores. Also Mr. Freeze's tragic backstory and Harley Quinn originally were from this show before being adapted into the comics.
    It wasn't until recently that I found out that Mr. Freeze was originally a silly third-string villain in Batman's rogue's gallery until TAS gave him a much more compelling origin.
    edited May 2012
    Dangimarocker;4738535 said:
    I love animation, but for people to stare at half naked or naked drawings to me seems weird... :\

Boats and what keeps them afloat. The general point being how early cartoons that once catered towards kids have evolved to a wider demographic. I wasn't necessarily pointing out a popular fetish for pornographic drawings, but just how these more mature traits in animation are made to be seen or properly interpreted through the eyes of teens and adults.

Animated shows with sexual jokes would fly right over an average kid's head compared to the simple innocence of early cartoons like Popeye. Not that there's anything wrong with more mature themed animation, but back then, simple stories and humor was all that existed in the cartoon world. Stuff that catered to a kid's thought pattern and would likely bore adults.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Toonami's coming back. Hopefully successfully.
    edited May 2012
    Won't be watching it on Adult Swim since I ain't gonna stay up that late for television, but I'll watch in spirit and watch the shows concurrently

First reports state Fullmetal Alchemist and FA: Brotherhood, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Durarara!!, and one more I can't remember
    GNFfhqwhgads;4741575 said:
    Toonami's coming back. Hopefully successfully.

Also I've given up on ever watching anything with you ever again
    edited May 2012
    88sBand;4738366 said:
    Basically you will watch whatever AS will show you...the best show Berserk could never make it to AS due to the eclipse though. lol. I haven't enjoyed a anime since Berserk tbh. Champloo was alright I guess. All of these other animes seem very DBZ to me and I got over that by elementary. Bad guy attacks, good guy loses. Then later he comes back and still loses but finds a power and beats bad guy after talking straight for 3 episodes...ugh.
    Let's see.... Durarara, Baccano!, Trinity Blood, Full Metal, Mnemosyme, Disgaea, Code Geass, Death Note and GunGrave are nothing like DBZ. In fact, out of all the shows I listed, the only one remotely close to DBZ is Yu Yu Hakusho, which was never shown on AS. Neither were Baccano!, GunGrave, Disgaea, Mnemosyme or Hellsing.

If all I watched was only aired on AS, then I would have added trash like Bleach, Kekkeishi, FLCL and Inuyasha to my list. And Big O too. Those shows are garbage.

Way to be a hipster though, I appreciate someone telling me that I shouldn't watch the classics unless I watched them when they first aired.
    edited May 2012
    Talking about all the anime stuff reminds me that I really miss watching The Big O. That was a fun series.

I also watched an hour-long feature on Mel Blanc. I knew the man was legendary and the best voice actor that's ever been, but I didn't realize his body of work was so completely massive.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 2012
    If you guys are interested in knowing, Toonami is making a comeback! I am hyped for this.
    edited May 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4750083 said:
    If you guys are interested in knowing, Toonami is making a comeback! I am hyped for this.
    Yeah, we know. I'm looking forward to watching Ruoni-Kenshin and maybe Card Captors if I'm lucky.

I remember Sailor Moon was my favorite when I was little.
    edited May 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4750083 said:

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/128/slowpoke_pokemon.gif

The schedule posted earlier is a fake. this is the official schedule starting the 26th

12:00 a.m. - Bleach
    12:30 a.m. - Deadman Wonderland
    1:00 a.m. - Casshern Sins
    1:30 a.m. - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    2:00 a.m. - Ghost In The Shell
    2:30 a.m. - Cowboy Bebop
    3:00 a.m. - Bleach
    3:30 a.m. - Deadman Wonderland
    4:00 a.m. - Casshern Sins
    4:30 a.m. - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    5:00 a.m. - Ghost In The Shell
    5:30 a.m. - Cowboy Bebop

The second episode of each show is a rerun from the previous hour, and Bleach is starting on episode 255 while Cowboy Bebop is starting on 15 (no idea why)

Rumors have it that if they continue with Toonami, they will slot in Panty & Stocking as well
    edited May 2012
    What is this Deadman Wonderland on the schedule? Has anybody here watched it before? Is it good?
    edited May 2012
    Is it good?
    Yes.