3000 song limit, 2x Bass Drums

cashandbrocashandbro Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I was wondering will there be a 3000 song limit in Blitz? Also if there is would it benefit to keep 2x Bass Pedal songs in your library? Or will this have any affect on the game.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4721390 said:
    I gather it had more to do with total file size/number of packages it has to load, so it could be a variable amount.
    Nope. People already discussed this when we found out about the limit. Rock Band 2 counts as 70, not 1. In order to keep a full list, the system has to load previews, album art, tiering, leaderboard directs, Practice/Train directs, and all that stuff, and doing that 70 times is still doing it 70 times even if it's a single downloaded package.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited April 2012
    You learn something new everyday.

Still, theoretically, from what I gather, if all of my songs fell under three minutes, I could get a little more mileage from my library until I hit the limit. And as you say, if Blitz doesn't need to load tiers, it could make a world of difference to the cap.

Of course, that world is the size of Whoville, but so it goes.

Of course, this doesn't really matter because I am in no danger of approaching the cap, but come back in 12 months and that might change.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4721400 said:
    You learn something new everyday.

Still, theoretically, from what I gather, if all of my songs fell under three minutes, I could get a little more mileage from my library until I hit the limit.
    I doubt it. It's not the songs themselves that are loaded into memory, it's the metadata. Give or take a few bytes, the amount of metadata for every song is the same.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2012
    Wasn't everybody maxing out at exactly 2,952 songs, which is how we got that specific number in the first place?
    edited April 2012
    Lowlander2;4721400 said:
    Still, theoretically, from what I gather, if all of my songs fell under three minutes, I could get a little more mileage from my library until I hit the limit.
    Nope. You'll notice in the handful of things I named the game loaded, 'the song' was not one of them. You think it could fit nearly 3,000 songs of the full high-quality audio in the 360's what, 512MB of RAM? Yeah, ok. I'll download those 30MB songs and put 3,000 of them into a 512MB space.

It loads just enough to access the preview quickly without actually having the preview, otherwise that would easily fill it up, too(unless the preview was compressed as hell). If the full song was loaded on the Quickplay screen, there wouldn't need to be a loading screen when you pick it.
    edited April 2012
    There's a loading screen?
    edited April 2012
    No, the set-up screens are just for S&Gs.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2012
    The double bass thing was asked about at the PAX panel. He said that the algorithm limits the number of notes in a set span of time so you definitely wouldn't be playing anything as fast as the double bass part, but he thought there was a possibility that the drum charts might still come out slightly different from the 1x pedal versions.
    edited April 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4721418 said:
    No, the set-up screens are just for S&Gs.

You may not have noticed, but I used sarcasm in a way so as to insinuate that the loading times were really, really fast.

Do keep in mind I have played this game a lot.
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited April 2012
    LuigiHann;4721560 said:
    The double bass thing was asked about at the PAX panel. He said that the algorithm limits the number of notes in a set span of time so you definitely wouldn't be playing anything as fast as the double bass part, but he thought there was a possibility that the drum charts might still come out slightly different from the 1x pedal versions.
    Thats cool to know that there might be a slight difference. Curious to see how a song from say Morbid Angel will look in Blitz for the 2X bass pedal.
  • dansolodansolo Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    SideshowN;4724756 said:
    Thats cool to know that there might be a slight difference. Curious to see how a song from say Morbid Angel will look in Blitz for the 2X bass pedal.

It would be awesome if HMX even supported 2x bass to begin with in RB3(not counting RBN)
  • edited May 2012
    Hey Guys,

Here’s the deal with Rock Band Blitz and that pesky song cap. As you all know, Rock Band 3 had many many moving parts. Juggling multiple characters, venues and instrument tracks, all the while storing stars and scores per instrument in the song list, means a whole heck of a lot of system memory being tied up by the game. To keep the game running properly, that song cap was necessary. In Rock Band Blitz, though, there’s a lot less of these factors to worry about. What this means is that the 3K song cap in RB3 is not present, and the upper limit of songs you can download for use in RB Blitz should be much, much higher (like over 2x higher)!
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    HMXPope;4732855 said:
    Hey Guys,

Here’s the deal with Rock Band Blitz and that pesky song cap. As you all know, Rock Band 3 had many many moving parts. Juggling multiple characters, venues and instrument tracks, all the while storing stars and scores per instrument in the song list, means a whole heck of a lot of system memory being tied up by the game. To keep the game running properly, that song cap was necessary. In Rock Band Blitz, though, there’s a lot less of these factors to worry about. What this means is that the 3K song cap in RB3 is not present, and the upper limit of songs you can download for use in RB Blitz should be much, much higher (like over 2x higher)!

I doubt I will ever get to 3000 songs.... but 6000 damn that is quite a bit...
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    HMXPope;4732855 said:
    Hey Guys,

Will future RB titles lose the song cap possibly if you guys find a way? Would definitely lose my nervousness level :P
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    HMXPope;4732855 said:
    Hey Guys,

Here’s the deal with Rock Band Blitz and that pesky song cap. As you all know, Rock Band 3 had many many moving parts. Juggling multiple characters, venues and instrument tracks, all the while storing stars and scores per instrument in the song list, means a whole heck of a lot of system memory being tied up by the game. To keep the game running properly, that song cap was necessary. In Rock Band Blitz, though, there's a lot less of these factors to worry about. What this means is that the 3K song cap in RB3 is not present, and the upper limit of songs you can download for use in RB Blitz should be much, much higher (like over 2x higher)!
    Fantastic news, thank you HMXPope! :D
    edited May 2012
    Dangimarocker;4732920 said:
    Will future RB titles lose the song cap possibly if you guys find a way? Would definitely lose my nervousness level :P
    Obviously. It has to do with the RAM the console provides, and since Harmonix is developing for next-gen technology, if there was a Rock Band appearance, it would be able to utilize more RAM.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4734114 said:
    Obviously. It has to do with the RAM the console provides, and since Harmonix is developing for next-gen technology, if there was a Rock Band appearance, it would be able to utilize more RAM.
    I don't think they can totally eliminate the song cap since RAM isn't infinite, but I would say that they can probably get it much higher so that it won't be an issue for a much longer time.
    edited May 2012
    ricecake;4734536 said:
    I don't think they can totally eliminate the song cap since RAM isn't infinite, but I would say that they can probably get it much higher so that it won't be an issue for a much longer time.
    They can eliminate it by changing how the game loads songs, but that's unlikely since it was done to accommodate the larger library.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4738337 said:
    They can eliminate it by changing how the game loads songs, but that's unlikely since it was done to accommodate the larger library.
    That's a good point, like dynamically loading the song info as needed and purging old info after it has scrolled off the screen far enough, something like that.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    ricecake;4739114 said:
    That's a good point, like dynamically loading the song info as needed and purging old info after it has scrolled off the screen far enough, something like that.

You can change the sorting options practically on the fly. I don't think they'll spend time trying to make sure the game runs flawlessly whilst also anticipating potential song views.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2012
    HMXPope;4732855 said:
    Hey Guys,

Thats awesome news
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    I imagine that it is allocated a block of memory of a certain size to prevent memory fragmentation that can lead to crashes. As people say they'd need to find the necessary memory at the expense of other features or optimize the game more for any future PS3 or 360 rockband peripheral games or as someone said in the thread the upcoming consoles should have enough memory unless it gets eaten up by other elements of player models etc.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    Even though the song cap will increase if the eventual "RB4" comes out in the next generation... all i'm wondering is will our 3,600 songs transfer? that is a big question if it isn't already answered..
    edited July 2012
    dinoman;4812137 said:
    Even though the song cap will increase if the eventual "RB4" comes out in the next generation... all i'm wondering is will our 3,600 songs transfer? that is a big question if it isn't already answered..
    They don't know.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    Okay then, so it is a big question
    edited July 2012
    I certainly hope they find a way to allow us to transfer content to a future console. If some of those leaked potential xbox specs from a few weeks back turn out to be true then the hardware should allow for it.

I did hear that the Wii U was being built to allow Wii content to transfer so we'll see how things play out for that platform first i guess.
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited July 2012
    I wonder how that's going to work. There is no online account for Wii.
    edited July 2012
    I read today that they are going to be linking the 3DS accounts with the WiiU so they use a single account much like the PSP/Vita and PS3 do.

I have no idea how DLC works for the Wii, I never bought any but I assume it is somehow tied to an account of some type is it not?
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited July 2012
    The only thing I ever had to put in on my wii to buy stuff was a credit card.
    edited July 2012
    metalkorn;4812298 said:
    I certainly hope they find a way to allow us to transfer content to a future console. If some of those leaked potential xbox specs from a few weeks back turn out to be true then the hardware should allow for it.
    The hardware has never been the questionable part.
    crash13;4812300 said:
    I wonder how that's going to work. There is no online account for Wii.
    The same way it's worked before for Nintendo, unsurprisingly.