Bought Rock Band iOS? Enjoy it while you can, since it's being disabled May 31st.

MysteryManMysteryMan Opening Act
edited May 2012 in Rock Band
http://i47.tinypic.com/349drn6.jpg

I understand that Harmonix had little/no part in the creation of this game, but this is INCREDIBLY disappointing. I bought the game when it originally came out and then picked up DLC for it, but I'm going to lose the game forever at the end of the month.

Just thought I would let fans know, and warn anyone who was thinking about buying the game (the iTunes store, of course, makes no mention that the game is going bye bye).

Maybe Harmonix could chime in, as well.

Comments

• HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    What the heck???? I paid money for this and now they are telling me that it won't work AT ALL anymore after May 31st?? How come? I can understand Multiplayer not working or something....but the whole game??
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    That's why I don't buy iOS crap.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    Pankrazzo;4726134 said:
    That's why I don't buy iOS crap.

No console bashing.
  • trojannemotrojannemo Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    I don't know iOS, but in Android I could tell you that May 31st somebody would have it back up and running no problem :p

that is a very sucky move on their part.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    But this could never, ever happen to Rock Band on PS3, right?
    We'll be able to play our massive collections of DLC songs, at least locally, forever and ever?
    I ask because I'm a worrier.

In all seriousness, I think the worst that could happen with RB3 is that the Rock Band Servers could go down forever (someday they will!), and then we could no longer:
    1) play online multiplayer
    2) have our high scores recorded and ranked, with further analysis possible thanks to rockbandscores.com
    3) have our top 3 performances posted to Facebook every Monday
    4) have all of the fun things that the RB Dashboard provides
  • RustySpoonsRustySpoons Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    I was like 3 quid from buying this today. I don't think this is fair at all. I can understand multiplayer going but I just can't see a valid reason to disable the whole game. Be interesting to hear what HMX has to say about this.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    very confusing... how can they stop us from playing... well at least I can delete it from my ipod and then put more songs on it....
  • blaze122blaze122 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    Is that RB: Reloaded? I hope not, I paid like 10 bucks for that when I got my iPad2 :( I actually still play it a lot too.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    What sense does it make to prevent people from playing a game they paid for? I don't get it :(
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    Are you using an older device? They may be updating it and new features may be incompatable.

Edit: never mind I have a brand new iPhone and it gave me the same message.
  • edited May 2012
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. EA Mobile is almost 100% responsible for maintaining the app as far as I'm aware, but I'll ask around to see if I can get some additional info.
  • The-XaiaXThe-XaiaX Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4726311 said:
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. EA Mobile is almost 100% responsible for maintaining the app as far as I'm aware, but I'll ask around to see if I can get some additional info.

I'm kind of guessing someone screwed up the terminology and the app will no longer be supported, get new songs, online features turned off, etc. I'm not sure how they could actually render it unplayable, since it works just fine in airplane mode. They can't just disable authentication if it doesn't require it. They could release an update that disables the game, but WTF would you install that?
  • edited May 2012
    The-XaiaX;4726408 said:
    I'm kind of guessing someone screwed up the terminology and the app will no longer be supported, get new songs, online features turned off, etc. I'm not sure how they could actually render it unplayable, since it works just fine in airplane mode. They can't just disable authentication if it doesn't require it. They could release an update that disables the game, but WTF would you install that?
    No clue as to the specifics, but my guess is that it has something to do with the MTV Games and EA logos that pop up when you load it. Since we are no longer partnered with them, I have no idea how that has affected projects like RB on iOS. But, as we've seen with the recent DLC delays, there's a lot of work being done behind the scenes now that Harmonix is independent and I wouldn't be surprised if this was related.

Again, that's mostly guesswork, but I'm not at all familiar with the particulars of the partnership or how content is managed on iOS.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4726165 said:
    But this could never, ever happen to Rock Band on PS3, right?
    We'll be able to play our massive collections of DLC songs, at least locally, forever and ever?
    I ask because I'm a worrier.

Oh it's absolutely technologically possible for our DLC to stop working at any time, without warning.

I wouldn't expect it to happen, though.
    Meat-Popsicle;4726165 said:
    In all seriousness, I think the worst that could happen with RB3 is that the Rock Band Servers could go down forever (someday they will!), and then we could no longer:
    1) play online multiplayer
    2) have our high scores recorded and ranked, with further analysis possible thanks to rockbandscores.com
    3) have our top 3 performances posted to Facebook every Monday
    4) have all of the fun things that the RB Dashboard provides
    Absolutely correct. Someday it WILL happen, and that 'some day' is probably coming sooner than any of us would care to admit. I give it five years tops after the PS4/Nextbox roll out that the current generation's servers will even exist, and that's if HMX maintains theirs the whole time.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    Please get to the bottom of this! I spent money on both games and DLC (also for both games); even if I don't play it as frequently as I did when I first started, I should still have access to it even if they stop supporting it.
  • NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/t334g/wtf_thanks_ea/

Honestly, I'm not concerned about the iPhone App, but I think the last thing any of us wants to see here is bad PR related to this genre.

I'm usually happy to see something RB-related make it to Digg. This isn't what I had in mind. What gives?
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited May 2012
    I'd be upset about losing this particular game if it was decent, but it was laggy to the point of being broken and unplayable.

That being said, I still think this sets a very bad image for developers if it sets a precedent that paid games can be revoked at any time.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    kiggidykev;4727072 said:
    I'd be upset about losing this particular game if it was decent, but it was laggy to the point of being broken and unplayable.

Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall or a straight-out reset was due. I've not had any problems with it thus far.
    edited May 2012
    LoopyChew;4727074 said:
    Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall or a straight-out reset was due. I've not had any problems with it thus far.

I tried that a few times, but the sound never lined up with the gems and I couldn't find a way to change the calibration. I gave up when Reloaded came out.
    edited May 2012
    Henry and other HMXers,

It might be a good time to see about doing an AMA on Reddit....

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited May 2012
    NeilDiamond1974;4727048 said:

Honestly, I'm not concerned about the iPhone App, but I think the last thing any of us wants to see here is bad PR related to this genre.

I'm usually happy to see something RB-related make it to Digg. This isn't what I had in mind. What gives?

Eh, it's reddit. Who gives a flying ****? If you read the comments on there (which I loathe to do), you can see most of them are complaining about EA, and have no idea what they're talking about. I haven't seen a single one mention Harmonix by name except for one guy who actually got it right:

"It's probably got more to do with that EA doesn't own Rock Band, Harmonix does and they are no longer working together."

All people on reddit do is complain anyway.
  • lendricklendrick Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    If piracy is stealing, then so is this.
    edited May 2012
    davidshek;4727112 said:
    Eh, it's reddit. Who gives a flying ****?

Well, Kotaku does.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Reddit is a gathering place for overprivileged blowhards who like the sound of their own voice and think people actually care what they have to say.
  • JamesDD4JamesDD4 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    Reddit can be funny, but yeah, Runesmith pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'd guess that 90% of the people who post there are snobby, white, liberal kids who think they know everything about everything that's going on in the world right now.
  • CCGPheonixCCGPheonix Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    I also agree with Runesmith. Makes me sad to say, but it's too true to not acknowledge.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    You can't let the trolls drag you down. Rock Band is awesome. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Reddit is a place for snark, and you get no snark points for acknowledging that something is fun and informative and engaging.

Seriously, is there anything on that site that people are mostly postive about? Oh, probably Apple, people love Apple (except for the people that hate them).
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2012
    While the first iOS Rock Band wasn't that good, it's still BS that they can do that, and I can easily see EA doing the same thing with Tetris. They already pulled the game and replaced it in place of free updates.
    edited May 2012
    People can say, "Why cares? Ignore them." Unfortunately, that's usually a bad PR move, especially with a crowd that plays a lot of games. That's all I'm saying. I don't have any plans to play RB on iOS or Android myself, but deleting something that you paid for and bought legitimately isn't cool.

If nothing else, it would be good to hear from HMX saying that this is EA's decision, this has to do with bizarre licensing or whatever. I don't want to see this genre get beat down any more than it is already (at least prematurely). This could be a good opportunity to get some better press for the core console games if nothing else.