NFL icon Junior Seau, 43, found dead of an apparent suicide

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Housekeeper discovered the body, dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot to the midsection

Even I, the NFL neophyte, know who this guy is, so I'm sure for fans of the sport this is big news.

edit - OK, so the article I linked cites TMZ, and ESPN, while confirming the shooting, is calling reports of his death, let alone suicide, "unconfirmed." So grain-of-salt time, but this is still definitely a thing.

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Wow...

The first time I've ever read somebody killing themselves by shooting themselves in the chest. I'm skeptical whether or not it really is suicide or not. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Seau confirmed dead :( RIP
    edited May 2012
    Police have now confirmed the suicide and site of entry wound, according to ESPN.

I'm not one of these people who will say a person who commits suicide is a selfish ****head completely undeserving of sympathy. Frankly those comments amaze and disgust me, but that may only be because I've suffered suicidal ideation myself. It's a tragedy for the family of course, but it's also a tragedy that the man himself as he, despite having all the means in the world, was never able to get the help he evidently needed quite badly.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    He will always be remembered. Roll Tide.
    edited May 2012
    Roll Tide? They said he played for USC.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    That's my canned reply to all RIP/In Memoriam threads.
    edited May 2012
    I see. I guess it just confused me because he was an athlete. If I saw that in the Dick Clark thread or something I'd just think it was the screwball response it's meant to be :p
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Wow, this is very sad. He will be remembered as one of the best defensive players in NFL history, for sure, but not a good way to go out, jeez.
    edited May 2012
    Cubecubed;4728185 said:
    not a good way to go out, jeez.

Mhm. ESPN interviewed one of his former teammates and the guy was in tears saying "Buddy," (apparently that was a common nickname for him) "you had people that would have helped you through whatever. We would have done anything for you!" You'd think he would have been aware of that. They also mentioned that he had driven his car off a cliff once before a couple of years ago, and it was speculated whether that was a suicide attempt. The teammate they interviewed said Seau had told him he simply fell asleep at the wheel. I suppose now it looks like that was a lie. He also said when he first heard the news he tried calling Seau directly to disprove the reports. He was clearly in a lot of pain when they interviewed him.

Tragic and terrible. Not to mention his mother at the police presser, my god that was hard to watch. If it's possible to die of a broken heart, she's gonna go sometime soon.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited May 2012
    His depression was likely due to the amount of hits in the head he took when he played and he shot himself in the chest rather than the head probably because he wanted people to look at his brain afterwards - there was some other football player a couple years ago that killed himself in the same way

It's possible that he wasn't even depressed at all, but due to various concussions he may have believed that this was the best way for him to help the fight against concussions in football, in his own twisted, broken mind after suffering several concussions himself. There was clearly some reasoning towards shooting himself in the chest and not the brain
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Sad news indeed. I could've sworn Seau was playing for the Patriots 2 years ago, maybe 3 years ago and now he's dead from suicide.
    edited May 2012
    He had a 20 year playing career, 1990-2009. First 13 years with the San Diego Chargers, next 3 with the Miami Dolphins, last 4 with the New England Patriots.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4727351 said:
    Wow...

The first time I've ever read somebody killing themselves by shooting themselves in the chest. I'm skeptical whether or not it really is suicide or not. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

While defiantly not common, it's not unheard of either. Maybe he was concerned about his family seeing him afterwards or maybe he symbolically chose the spot he hurt.

It was surprising and he seemed like a cool guy. RIP
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    awesome player in his day.