Harmonix aside, who is your favorite video game developer?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
All right, you can mention if HMX really, genuinely does top the list for you, but I think it's sensible to set them aside because they are much more specialized than other developers.

I will set HMX aside (because I'm not sure how I'd rank them), and say my favorite developer is Ubisoft. I have yet to play an Ubisoft game that I didn't love. Of course Assassin's Creed tops the list, but also Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia, the new downloadable game I Am Alive, I even played a couple of the Tom Clancy games on the previous generation's consoles. A long winning streak with me and Ubisoft.

Team Ico also bears mention, without question. What they lack in quantity they certainly make up for in quality (Ico and Shadow of the Colossus being their only existent games so far) and I am greatly anticipating The Last Guardian.

Honorable mention to Crystal Dynamics for Tomb Raider. It's been a while since they developed anything else.

Bioware used to be high up on this list, but.....you know :p

Comments

• BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4731856 said:
    And LA Noire :D

I believe Rockstar didn't actually develop/create LA Noire. They just published it.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Wikipedia sez LA Noire was developed by Rockstar and by something called "Team Bondi"
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    Rockstar only published it. The rest was all on Team Bondi. And they cease to exist these days.\

As for my second favourite dev...I'm going to go with Valve.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Nintendo for sure... then Crytek UK (used to be know as Free Radical) then valve...
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited May 2012
    Ubisoft, Bioware and Criterion Games

Ubisoft made some of my favourite games on the 360, including Rainbow Six Vegas 1+2, both of the Advance Warfighter games and HAWX
    Ive really liked everything Ive played thats developed by Bioware, which from memory are the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
    And Criterion simply because they let me spend 2 weeks playing Burnout Paradise as a QA member about 2 years before it came out. Plus the Burnout games are a lot of fun
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    I'll say Konami on account of how many hours the Castlevania and Suikoden games have kept me enthralled.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - best game music ever.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    Rockstar, Bioware, Bungie, and Team Ico
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited May 2012
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Naughty Dog for Crash, Jak, and Uncharted

Capcom for Megaman X, Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick (would say Resident Evil if I was a bigger fan of the earlier games)

Sucker Punch for Sly Cooper and inFamous

SquareSOFT for older FF and Enix for KH2 and beyond

Rockstar for the aforementioned reasons.

2K for Bioshock and Borderlands

Bethesda for Fallout 3 and Skyrim

Atlus for SMT: Persona 3 and 4, and Trauma Center

Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Outland

Sega for Sonic (mostly for the earlier ones like S3&K and CD)

Santa Monica for God of War and helping thatgamecompany with flOw, Flower, and Journey

Valve for TF2, Half Life, and Portal.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4731919 said:
    Naughty Dog for Crash, Jak, and Uncharted

Capcom for Megaman X, Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick (would say Resident Evil if I was a bigger fan of the earlier games)

Sucker Punch for Sly Cooper and inFamous

SquareSOFT for older FF and Enix for KH2 and beyond

Rockstar for the aforementioned reasons.

2K for Bioshock and Borderlands

Bethesda for Fallout 3 and Skyrim

Atlus for SMT: Persona 3 and 4, and Trauma Center

Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Outland

Sega for Sonic (mostly for the earlier ones like S3&K and CD)

Santa Monica for God of War and helping thatgamecompany with flOw, Flower, and Journey

Valve for TF2, Half Life, and Portal.

"Developer" is singular.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 2012
    I would say Bethesda. Even if their games are a little less QA'd, they're nevertheless epic.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited May 2012
    Valve, no questions about it.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Has to be Bioware for me, the Mass Effect series as well as the 2 Knights of the Old Republic games on the original xbox are among my favorites ever.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Numskull;4731931 said:
    "Developer" is singular.

Ehh, I did give three answers myself.
  • edited May 2012
    Aside from HMX I would go with Twisted Pixel. All of their games are hysterical and incredibly fun.

I would have said Valve but being a console gamer and not a PC gamer I've seen the worst of them. Still waiting on the L4D2 DLC that the PC got last year.
  • Kenny-BandKenny-Band Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    It's a toss-up between Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Rareware, and Valve. I would include Nintendo if I could stand more of their licenses. Zelda's not enough for me :P
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Numskull;4731931 said:
    "Developer" is singular.

The sky is blue.

Your turn.
  • WonderWaageUKWonderWaageUK Rising Star
    edited May 2012
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    1. Bioware
    2. Irrational Games/ 2k Whatever the hell they were called
    3. Rockstar
    4. Bungie
    5. Bethesda
    6. Lionhead
    7. Epic Games
    8. Turn 10
    9. Supergiant Games
    10. DICE
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Papyrus Racing Games, who made one of the best NASCAR simulations ever with NASCAR Racing Season 2003 for the PC. It's way better than anything EA made, and it's actually quite rare (I think I paid $150 for a USED)
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    I'd have to say Valve followed by Bethesda.
  • edited May 2012
    Toss-up between Bioware and Bethesda.

If we include developers that no longer exist, it would be Black Isle Studios.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Bioware, though EA's vicegrip on their testicles is dragging them down. 2K is pretty solid.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Free Radical back in the day. Today it'd probably be Valve, with Rockstar close behind.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Der_Lex;4732239 said:
    Toss-up between Bioware and Bethesda.

If we include developers that no longer exist, it would be Black Isle Studios.

So true on Black Isle.

I'd point out, among others, Nippon Ichi, Double Fine, Bethesda, Atlus, Team17, and Sony Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis).

Of studios that have since passed on, the aformentioned Black Isle, Looking Glass, Bullfrog, Free Radical, Pandemic, Sir-Tech, and Troika all come to mind.
  • edited May 2012
    Good call on Bullfrog, they had so many good games.

And yes, Atlus deserves a lot of respect too. They've stolen the jrpg crown from Square-Enix, as far as I'm concerned.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    I'd have Atlus higher up if I liked strategy RPGs. As it stands, Atlus is just pretty damn good at picking out games to bring over to America, and for Trauma Center.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4732311 said:
    I'd have Atlus higher up if I liked strategy RPGs. As it stands, Atlus is just pretty damn good at picking out games to bring over to America, and for Trauma Center.

Putting aside the strategy RPGs, three simple words in the corner of Atlus:

Shin Megami Tensei. :)
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Lucasarts.

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Rogue Squadron, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, Battlefront, Monkey Island, Episode I Racer, Jedi Knight, Grim Fandango, Rebellion...oh my god.
  • edited May 2012
    killer_roach;4732322 said:
    Putting aside the strategy RPGs, three simple words in the corner of Atlus:

Shin Megami Tensei. :)
    It's amazing that I have The Witcher 2 sitting almost unplayed on my PC's hard drive right now because I simply can't get myself to put down Devil Survivor 2, a DS game of all things. It's gotten so bad that I find myself spending 15 minute sessions planning optimal demon fusions.

Speaking of The Witcher 2, though, CD Projekt is a pretty cool developer as well, especially as being customer-friendly is concerned. They removed the DRM from early PC copies of The Witcher 2 because they felt it did more harm to consumers than to pirates and are now offering the entire enhanced edition upgrade for free to people who already bought Witcher 2 (where just any other company would simply charge you again for it, *coughCapcomcough*). Two incredibly classy moves as far as I'm concerned.