Retro Games Discussion Thread

BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
So! What are your favorite retro games?

What old, dusty systems have you recently dug out of your closet?

What old games have you traded in for a dollar and now wish you haven't?

Does blowing into your NES cartridges really help them play better?!

This thread is for the discussion of retro games, rather than the newer, current-gen titles that are often discussed in the "Last Video Games You Played" thread.

Comments

  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I recently realized that I used to be all about racing games in my youth. My main system was Nintendo up until Xbox; with Mario Kart, Wave Race 64, Rush (particularly Rush 2), Hydro Thunder, Ridge Racer, and my all-time weird favorite, Extreme-G.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    BohemianMatt;4731869 said:
    I recently realized that I used to be all about racing games in my youth. My main system was Nintendo up until Xbox; with Mario Kart, Wave Race 64, Rush (particularly Rush 2), Hydro Thunder, Ridge Racer, and my all-time weird favorite, Extreme-G.

    This thread is now my home.

    Ah yes, I remember Wave Race 64. I never played the original Extreme-G but I did play the Gamecube one, whichever one that is.

    Back in the day I used to spend all of my video game time playing stuff like Donkey Kong 64 + all the other DKC games that were out, Super Mario World, Star Fox 64 (sometimes beating it multiple times within a day), Super Mario 64, Wind Waker (hearing this seriously made me cry), Super Mario 64, and of course, Super Smash Bros.

    Ahh, good times...
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    The Sega Genisis was my earliest console and the Grey Brick Gameboy made travel bearable as a kid.

    Funny rage story: I was playing Donkey Kong Country on that brick while waiting in the car one day. This game knew how to troll hard, so hard to the point I smashed the screen against my head and broke the display crystal.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 2012
    I've been playing a lot of Nintendo lately, namely Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3, Conquest of the Crystal Palace and Legacy of the Wizard.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Man I miss the old Nintendo consoles I used to have. Growing up playing Super Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat on Super Nintendo or playing Super Smash Bros. and such on the N64.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4731924 said:
    The Sega Genisis was my earliest console and the Grey Brick Gameboy made travel bearable as a kid.

    Funny rage story: I was playing Donkey Kong Country on that brick while waiting in the car one day. This game knew how to troll hard, so hard to the point I smashed the screen against my head and broke the display crystal.

    Yup. DKC knows how to make you rage. In terms of sheer difficulty, pretty much any DKC game can kick the hi-def butts of most modern games.

    I really need to rack up some Wii Points so I can get FF6, Chrono Trigger, and LttP on Virtual Console.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    GreatJedi7;4731896 said:

    Wind Waker, along with being one of my favorite Zeldas, had an amazing soundtrack. Every piece was just magnificent.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    BohemianMatt;4732211 said:
    Wind Waker, along with being one of my favorite Zeldas, had an amazing soundtrack. Every piece was just magnificent.

    Yeah. The Zelda series in general has AMAZING music.

    As far as soundtracks for Zelda games goes, I think from the ones I've played it's Wind Waker >>>>> Twilight Princess >> Majora's Mask > Ocarina of Time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyward Sword >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Phantom Hourglass
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    ;4731963 said:
    Yup. DKC knows how to make you rage. In terms of sheer difficulty, pretty much any DKC game can kick the hi-def butts of most modern games.

    I really need to rack up some Wii Points so I can get FF6, Chrono Trigger, and LttP on Virtual Console.
    My mistake, it was Donkey Kong Land. To think I would forget the name of the game I put my heart, soul, and head into.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    First console I ever had was Sega Master System (aka the console before Sega Genesis). Man is Space Harrier an f***** up game that looks and plays like it was designed by free-basing coke junkies... ...Good Times.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Just got done doing a bunch of yard work outside. Think I'm going to dig out my Gamecube tonight and play some Smash Bros. and Wind Waker. May put it in the guest room where my old TV is now so I can get the full old time experience.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    BohemianMatt;4732409 said:
    Just got done doing a bunch of yard work outside. Think I'm going to dig out my Gamecube tonight and play some Smash Bros. and Wind Waker. May put it in the guest room where my old TV is now so I can get the full old time experience.

    Now I wanna hook up my N64 and see how quickly I can beat Super Mario 64.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2012
    I play my genesis to this day.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    GreatJedi7;4732422 said:
    Now I wanna hook up my N64 and see how quickly I can beat Super Mario 64.

    Tried that with Paper Mario recently. Aside from the usual temporary file deletion, I got some weird glitch where I hit a save block which opened up my partner menu and everyone was named Kooper.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4732639 said:
    Tried that with Paper Mario recently. Aside from the usual temporary file deletion, I got some weird glitch where I hit a save block which opened up my partner menu and everyone was named Kooper.

    Damn. That sounds like a Ben kinda situation.
  • edited May 2012
    I have to admit I'm not much of a retro gamer. I've found that you can never recreate the experience you had playing those games for the first time. I played games like Pong, Asteroids and Joust for hours on end back in the day, but I'd get tired of them after a few minutes now.

    Pretty much the only retro games I've bought are old arcade games like X-Men and Simpsons that never had a home system release. There's still a few PSN retro games that were never released here that I'm on the fence about (Final Fantasy Tactics, Persona 3), but I don't know how playable they'll be on a HDTV. A lot of PSone games look absolutely horrid and are nigh unplayable on them. I'll probably also pick up Odin Sphere if it ever drops in price.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Lex, if you're talking really retro games like the ones you mentioned, then I agree that the magic just doesn't hold up. For slightly more recent games (most games that save progress) are definitely replayable, at least for me.

    Well, I just finally booted up my Gamecube to play some Wind Waker, and alas! No memory card! I'll have to jet down to Gamestop tomorrow and pick one up. (I think they are the same as Wii memory cards, are they not?)
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    I've been seriously concidering picking up a used PS2 for my kids (mainly). I'm on a 360 now, but I have very found memories of PS2 (and to a lesser extent One) games that were much more kid friendly like the original Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games. You know, games made before they really figured out it was mainly adults who bought games. I wouldn't mind playing some of those games again myself, although I agree with Lex that it just wouldn't be the same.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I just played Perfect Dark 4 player splitscreeen with my brothers yesterday... and it was amazing! I love all the bot personalities in there... I really wish modern FPS would bring back bots and stop with the crappy splitscreen...

    the only FPS to ever come close to the greatness of Perfect Dark was the Time Splitters series (which makes sense because they are made by the same people)
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Ah, retro gaming, taking me back to my Commadore 64 days. With games like Impossible Mission, The Movie Monster Game, Racing Destruction Set, Larry Bird vs Dr J, Snokie, Pitfall, Ghosts n Goblins, Archon: The Light and the Dark (the best battle chess game evah), and Raid over Moscow. Along with hundreds others; loved that system back in the day.

    Oh, and Beach-head! Between that and Raid over Moscow, I "lost" tons of hours of my childhood.

    As far as playing these games, though, I'm with Lex. I don't enjoy going back save for the 2 or 3 minutes of nostalgia. Even games like Goldeneye or the FF series I can't go back and play; although part of that is I just don't have time.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    There are very few retro games I truly enjoy going back to.

    Among those is Settlers 2, a game I used to play but not really understand until I picked up Age of Empires 2.
    Even games as recent as the first iteration of Mass Effect can be hard to come back to.
    The thing is there are a lot of nostalgic retakes on retro games, especially those done by indie developpers and those games are a lot more current than their actual precursors.
    I find it just as hard to watch Eiseinstein's movies. He was a genius, but his movies bore me to death. And by today's standard they would probably not even be considered good. Without the fresh excitment of innovation and out of the context of their creation, a lot of these works become dull.
  • edited May 2012
    CJHobbes;4733703 said:
    Archon: The Light and the Dark (the best battle chess game evah),
    Agreed. Nice to see someone else who liked that game.
    Insane3;4733731 said:

    Even games as recent as the first iteration of Mass Effect can be hard to come back to.
    The thing is there are a lot of nostalgic retakes on retro games, especially those done by indie developpers and those games are a lot more current than their actual precursors.
    I find it just as hard to watch Eiseinstein's movies. He was a genius, but his movies bore me to death. And by today's standard they would probably not even be considered good. Without the fresh excitment of innovation and out of the context of their creation, a lot of these works become dull.

    Slight derail, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed Battleship Potempkin. I'll admit that it's the only one of his films that I've seen, though, so the rest might not hold up quite as well.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited May 2012
    For me, retro means playing on my Amiga.

    My favorite games were:
    -Indiana Jones and the last crusade
    -Who framed Roger Rabbit
    -Zak Mckraken
    -Maniac mansion
    -Monkey Island
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    One game I remember playing the **** out of back in the day was Raid Over Bungling Bay on the C64. But yeah, I don't think the nostalgia would last very long if I played it now.
    Der_Lex;4732657 said:
    I'll probably also pick up Odin Sphere if it ever drops in price.

    Isn't it $10 on PSN? Or are EU prices different? Or is it not available?
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited May 2012
    SNES Super Ghosts and Goblins cost me a controller. The last level was murder.
    Super Metroid was also a kick...the timed exit was tough.
  • edited May 2012
    topperharley;4734473 said:
    Isn't it $10 on PSN? Or are EU prices different? Or is it not available?

    I have a US account, so yeah, it's $10, but there are very few retro games that I'm willing to pick up for that price. Hence the wait for a slight drop.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Der_Lex;4734470 said:

    Slight derail, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed Battleship Potempkin. I'll admit that it's the only one of his films that I've seen, though, so the rest might not hold up quite as well.

    Well it always depends on the person, I remember watching Die freudlose Gasse (Joyless Street) in class and everybody was either asleep or talking to each other except this one girl who was really annoyed by everybody because she was really into the movie.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of Settlers 2 made me want to pick it up again, this time I tried the 10th anniversary rebooted version. It basically has the same mechanics but better graphics. It's fun.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Was selling my old car, popped the trunk to clear it out and found my old Super Pong games.

    Got some D batteries and an RF adapter from an old box and had my self a nice session of super pong last weekend.
Sign In or Register to comment.