RIP Maurice Sendak....off to Where the Wild Things Are.

Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Maurice Sendak moved on to the next plain, he was 83.

Though I am too old to appreciate him from my childhood, his book enchanted both of my children.

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    Both because I'm recovering from illness and in his honor, I will have chicken soup with rice for dinner tonight.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    He will always be remembered. Roll Tide.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for many nights of bedtime stories, Mr. Sendak.

RIP
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Dadasaurus Rex;4733643 said:
    Maurice Sendak moved on to the next plain, he was 83.

Though I am too old to appreciate him from my childhood, his book enchanted both of my children.

Even I'm not THAT old (and I'm 47).

I was a big fan as a kid, my wife is an even bigger fan and has made sure that both of our children are as well. I sort of lost my taste for him in my teens.

I did enjoy watching Little Bear with my kids though. Had high hopes for the Wild Things movie, but well I'll just say the jury is still out on that one.

Still there's no denying that the guy was talented. At least as much as Theodore Geisle was. (Dr. Suess).
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited May 2012
    skyp1e;4734843 said:
    Even I'm not THAT old (and I'm 47)....
    Apparently the book came out in 1963 (I predate that by two years), but I do not remember ever seeing it until my 30's and I was a voracious reader til I started working for a living. My Wife on the other hand who is 11 years younger remembers it very clearly. Our children were benefactors of her love for the book as well. I'm with you on the movie, saw it once, will probably be the only time.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    skyp1e;4734843 said:
    I did enjoy watching Little Bear with my kids though.

Maurice Sendak was behind Little Bear?! Oh my gosh, I loved that show as a small child.

R.I.P. Mr. Sendak :'(
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    GreatJedi7;4735274 said:
    Maurice Sendak was behind Little Bear?! Oh my gosh, I loved that show as a small child.

R.I.P. Mr. Sendak :'(

Cat was my favorite character. I tried to model myself after Father bear (as a parent), but it's just impossible. I mean he never yells or punishes his kid. Ever.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I watched Little Bear for far longer than any high school kid should have. :p.

Haven't taken a peek at Where the Wild Things Are in a while, but I should, since I work at a bookstore and this news has some displays set up.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited May 2012
    Little Bear was awesome, it was so calming unlike so many kids shows that are just manic. It was the perfect show right before the mid-morning nap.