Just how hard is it to get a new song out the door?

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited May 2012 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.rockband.com/blog/from-licensing-to-release-the-life-of-a-dlc-pack

This article walks you step by step through Harmonix's process for releasing a DLC pack. I figured the RBN types over here might be interested in comparing it to the RBN process.

Comments

• ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    that was very interesting. I knew you guys planned for DLC 6-8 months in advance, but the breakdown is very nice.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    The two big differences I can point out:

- Legal/logistics is faster. Generally speaking anyways, but many RBN songs have just one rights-holder, the band or the label. You usually don't get into having very many parties, so these steps go a lot faster. Unless you pick songs like TheOzone does. :P

- Authoring is slower. Again, there are exceptions- we whipped up In My Head in a weekend- but generally songs take a lot more than a week to do. For a few reasons- there's often fewer of us doing the work, pretty much nobody does RBN full-time, and we're not quite as experienced. Groups like Rock Gamer do have the staff to approach that point, but generally speaking we're not so specialized and focused.

In my experience, there's also a lot less brainstorming. A lot of the bands we work with come to us, so it's more of a "yes or no" than "who do we ask?".
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4734661 said:

- Legal/logistics is faster. Generally speaking anyways, but many RBN songs have just one rights-holder, the band or the label. You usually don't get into having very many parties, so these steps go a lot faster. Unless you pick songs like TheOzone does. :P

In my experience, there's also a lot less brainstorming. A lot of the bands we work with come to us, so it's more of a "yes or no" than "who do we ask?".

I can say a few of the bands I've been in contact with (future ones, none of the ones announced) have been quite a stream of legal mess.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Woah, really interesting read.