Indie Allstars Bundle - The Main Drag, Buckner & Garcia, and more for charity!

FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
edited May 2012 in The Rock Band Network
And now for something completely different that Lachesis said was totally okay to post about. And was already mentioned in the community thread a few days back.

The Indie Allstars Bundle

If you're familiar with Humble Bundle, this is the same general thing. We've collected 15 independent, actually-good artists and grouped them all together for whatever price you want to pay. That's 10 full-length albums for however much or little you think they're worth. Pay over the average ($7.43 right now) and you get 5 EPs as well. All in high-quality MP3, beating the average gets you lossless FLAC as well.

Now, it'd be one thing if these were all just totally random indie bands. For one it'd probably suck, and it'd have nothing to do with Rock Band. But, more than half of the groups here are already in Rock Band, thanks to the Rock Band Network. DLC buyers already did a lot of the vetting- you can find most of the bands on PS3 as well as XBox. And the ones that aren't on RBN, well, maybe they will be soon.

But far be it for us to just sell something- a portion (that you define) of your purchase goes to help VH1 Save the Music and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. If you really want, you can just donate to those causes through this project and get 15 albums in return.

The albums are:

Pac-Man Fever by Buckner & Garcia
Yours As Fast As Mine by The Main Drag
The Silent City by Stagehands
PPPPPP: The VVVVVV Soundtrack by Magnus 'SoulEye' Palsson
Noplace Like Nowhere by Jim's Big Ego
When the Dust Settles by The Parlor Soldiers
The Darker the Sky Is, The Brighter the Stars Shine by Jonay
Mo'Fi by Crooked Saws
Lactophilia by Leche de Tigre
Paths of the Restless by Cosmonauts Day

Beat the average to also get:

Wartime Songs by The Blue News
Gravity by Diggs Duke
self-titled EP by Dance for the Dying
self-titled EP by Mafia Track Suit
Be My Guest by Through a Glass, Darkly

There's a sampler available as well to help you decide if you might like anything in the bundle. If you're interested you've got through the 19th to grab it.

Comments

  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4734599 said:

    Be My Guest by Through a Glass, Darkly

    Found the title track on youTube. Get them in RBN now plzkthx. ;)
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Bought with the extra EP's. Can't stress enough how awesome this set is. Sure, there's stuff I don't like, but as a whole it's one hell of a deal. In hindsight, I should've payed a LOT more for it.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    well I payed just for Pac-Man Fever and The Main Drag... time to see what the rest sounds like
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    Random question: How does the counter for downloads work? The one on the site next to the time countdown was starting at 342 everytime I refreshed the page earlier and climbed up randomly, but now it seems to start at 346 and climb up. Does it just start at the actual amount and climb?
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    AskariNari;4734916 said:
    Random question: How does the counter for downloads work? The one on the site next to the time countdown was starting at 342 everytime I refreshed the page earlier and climbed up randomly, but now it seems to start at 346 and climb up. Does it just start at the actual amount and climb?

    It starts slightly below the actual amount and climbs up to the actual. This was done so you know it's supposed to be dynamic, but if I just let it start at 0 it would look kinda ugly as it approached larger tallies.

    ALSO: I've just implemented Google Checkout, since Amazon doesn't want to be used for charity projects. Seems slightly silly, but their choice.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    I noticed in the community spotlight thread that people were hating on Jonay, and I gotta say that for rap, it's quite listenable. At least, much more listenable to most rap that I've come across. It may be my least favorite of the albums so far, but I enjoy it enough, which only shows the quality of the bundle as a whole.

    EDIT: Jonay > Crooked Saws [#GuiltyConfessions]
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    DavyinaToga;4736091 said:
    I noticed in the community spotlight thread that people were hating on Jonay, and I gotta say that for rap, it's quite listenable. At least, much more listenable to most rap that I've come across. It may be my least favorite of the albums so far, but I enjoy it enough, which only shows the quality of the bundle as a whole.

    I knew Jonay was going to be the most questionable part of the bundle, just because out of the genres included, I don't listen to hip-hop. But I know what it is about the hip-hop I do hear that I don't like, and Jonay doesn't do any of that. And I knew from the very start that I needed some hip-hop, to keep things more diverse.

    Also- while I can't divulge the details of the split, I'll just say that weffjebster (aka Single White Infidel) just made a rather large and very geeky contribution tonight.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4736363 said:

    Also- while I can't divulge the details of the split, I'll just say that weffjebster (aka Single White Infidel) just made a rather large and very geeky contribution tonight.

    Looking at the total, $40.11, I'm going to guess $13.77 split three ways? One to each charity and one to the artists.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    TubaDude49;4736367 said:
    Looking at the total, $40.11, I'm going to guess $13.77 split three ways? One to each charity and one to the artists.

    I can't say, but something along those lines. :)

    And if I may vent just a moment. (I would put this on the Steam forums, since it came up there, but I can't post there yet.) I've been doing what I can to respond to support issues and keep the site going. I know, it's had issues, but- well, here's the request codes log for the site.

    # reqs......................code
    24848693.................200 OK
    137..........................206 Partial content
    318..........................301 Document moved permanently
    37433.......................304 Not modified since last retrieval
    1..............................401 Authentication required
    3799.........................404 Document not found
    5..............................405 Method not allowed
    94............................500 Internal server error
    3184.........................503 Service temporarily unavailable

    First, that's 25 million. That does include all the script files and such, so one visit is a bunch of requests, but still. Compare that to how many 500-class errors (which are supposed to mean SERVER IS BROKEN CALL FOR HELP) and you see I'm in a tough debugging situation. It's fine more than 99% of the time (and hosting companies charge thousands with that level of promise), but the 1% that it screws up for are using very crass terms.

    But, I guess if you do anything public you're gonna get that.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited May 2012
    My big surprise was The Parlor Soldiers. When I chose the album in iTunes and iTunes said "Hey, it's country!" my heart kind of dropped - I'm very, very rarely a country fan. But for me, the folk elements overwhelmed the country, and I really enjoyed it after all.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    HMXLachesis;4736653 said:
    My big surprise was The Parlor Soldiers. When I chose the album in iTunes and iTunes said "Hey, it's country!" my heart kind of dropped - I'm very, very rarely a country fan. But for me, the folk elements overwhelmed the country, and I really enjoyed it after all.

    That's what I was after! "Crazy" definitely has a sort of Cash/Carter duet feel to it but overall it does avoid most of the typical country associations. That way it should still be good for country fans but non-fans should enjoy it too. Same deal with Cosmonauts Day, really.

    I saw you posted and was like "she's gonna point out something horribly wrong with those site stats...." :x
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4736686 said:
    That's what I was after! "Crazy" definitely has a sort of Cash/Carter duet feel to it but overall it does avoid most of the typical country associations. That way it should still be good for country fans but non-fans should enjoy it too. Same deal with Cosmonauts Day, really.

    I don't know if Cosmonauts Day is going to be real big with Country fans, but I agree that non-Country-fans will probably dig it. :P

    It actually reminds me a lot of Metroid Metal or the Minibosses, but that might just be because of my overall limited exposure to instrumental metal music that isn't Metroid-themed.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    LuigiHann;4737205 said:
    I don't know if Cosmonauts Day is going to be real big with Country fans, but I agree that non-Country-fans will probably dig it. :P

    It actually reminds me a lot of Metroid Metal or the Minibosses, but that might just be because of my overall limited exposure to instrumental metal music that isn't Metroid-themed.

    You know what I mean :P It's metal that non-metal fans can enjoy, as it's not really violent or fast or extreme in any way like that.

    And it actually does work well for Metroid. Doesn't feel as isolated but it still kinda clicks.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    Bought. Congrats in advance on hitting the $5,000 mark (should happen with the next sale or two based on the current figures of 576 bought at an average of $7.80 = $4492.80)

    Edit: WOW, did I see the numbers wrong on that. Lemme try again... Congrats on hitting the $4,500 mark (now that we're at 578 bought at an average of $7.83 = $4525.74)... :P
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    News!

    A bunch of the artists involved have various swag they wanted to get rid of. Or they want to give back to the contributors, I dunno. Point is- when the bundle wraps up, the top 3 contributors will be getting swag bags including t-shirts, stickers, and limited-run CDs. And, the top 25 contributors under them will each get two random CDs. All the specifics are here. You can increase the amount of your order whenever you like, with however much you'd like, unless it's a gift.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    One last bump, since we end in about 9 hours!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    If i had money i would totally buy this, but unfortunately I don't :(
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Dangimarocker;4746326 said:
    If i had money i would totally buy this, but unfortunately I don't :(

    You also can't because it's over. :P

    But we did raise over $1,375 combined for EFF and VH1 Save the Music, and I'm going through a bit of post-mortem to see if we can do an even better one next time.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4746396 said:
    You also can't because it's over. :P

    But we did raise over $1,375 combined for EFF and VH1 Save the Music, and I'm going through a bit of post-mortem to see if we can do an even better one next time.

    Yeah knew i was already late, but really did want it.. but had no money anyway lol.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited May 2012
    Congratulations on a successful fundraiser!

    If you open an email address or forum thread for feedback, perhaps the community can help you figure out how to improve next time.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    HMXLachesis;4747276 said:
    Congratulations on a successful fundraiser!

    If you open an email address or forum thread for feedback, perhaps the community can help you figure out how to improve next time.

    I'm probably going to put up a proper survey in the next day or so, so I can get some semi-quantifiable information.

    Also, I'm open to any and all band suggestions for the next go 'round....
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4748168 said:
    I'm probably going to put up a proper survey in the next day or so, so I can get some semi-quantifiable information.

    Also, I'm open to any and all band suggestions for the next go 'round....

    Virginmarys, Silent House, or Giraffes? Giraffes!. I'd especially like Silent House to be in the next one, since I can't seem to find their music anywhere at all outside of the RBN; but then again, I'm probably part of the minority who'd intentionally purchase their music.

    The only other band off the top of my head who would be cool to see involved in one of these things is The Deepsea Goes. If you want I can give you their email, they'd probably donate ORAONEIROI for the next one (they're pretty cool people and really like getting their music out there).
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4748168 said:
    I'm probably going to put up a proper survey in the next day or so, so I can get some semi-quantifiable information.

    Also, I'm open to any and all band suggestions for the next go 'round....

    Most, if not all of our unsigned artists probably wouldn't mind being part of something like this. If you don't mind metal being part of it, I know Winter Crescent would probably be all over this.

    If any of our artists interest you for inclusion in a future bundle, contact me and I'll get you in touch with them.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    AskariNari;4748215 said:
    but then again, I'm probably part of the minority who'd intentionally purchase their music.

    You can say that again.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4748168 said:

    Also, I'm open to any and all band suggestions for the next go 'round....

    Kiev would be awesome. :D
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Oscarvarium;4748286 said:
    Kiev would be awesome. :D

    I actually contacted them for this first one but they never responded :(

    I'm honestly debating going even lighter on RB/RBN artists next time, since I have plans fermenting for themed bundles that would pull even heavier from that library. There's a lot of great music here, but there's even more that we haven't gotten to yet.

    (And I don't even know that Silent House's album is done, technically. I should find out.)
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4748168 said:
    I'm probably going to put up a proper survey in the next day or so, so I can get some semi-quantifiable information.

    I was probably correct!

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YSYJRM2
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited May 2012
    Good survey. I feel helpful
Sign In or Register to comment.