Weird-News: Japanese Ice Bra

arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Just in time for summer...

A JAPANESE underwear company has launched a bra with built-in ice packs to keep women cool this northern summer.

The bra, unveiled yesterday, also comes with a wine chime and a sprig of mint.

In a nearly-naked publicity stunt, underwear firm Triumph Japan had models parading around showing off its "Super Cool Bra", featuring what appears to be a pair of small fish tanks encompassing the breasts.

These cups are filled with a gel that remains soft and supple even when frozen, giving the wearer "a cool sensation against her skin", the company said in a statement.

A traditional Japanese wind chime - and a mint leaf - dangle between the cups giving an impression of cooling "by way of its refreshing fragrance and sound".

The company, which has a long tradition of novelty launches that are never made available for public sale, said it conceived of the bra in response to a need to save energy during the hot summer.

With no working nuclear reactors amid heightened public mistrust over atomic power in post-Fukushima Japan, the country has once again begun its "Cool Biz" campaign, urging people to dress down for work and avoid the need to crank up the air-con.

From News Australia:
http://www.news.com.au/business/iced-bra-aims-to-keep-japanese-cool/story-e6frfm1i-1226351302924

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    Wait, so to make a bra cooler for a very brief time, they decide to make a plastic one which will become heavier and hotter...
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    This is weird for Japan?
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    I can't imagine the gel packs would stay cool long enough to make any significant difference in the long run. I mean, if this were an actual product, and not just a novelty thing.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    topperharley;4735302 said:
    I can't imagine the gel packs would stay cool long enough to make any significant difference in the long run. I mean, if this were an actual product, and not just a novelty thing.

Isn't that all Japan manufactures is novelty. I mean take the Nintendo for example a company that continually manufactures stupid gadget after stupid gadget. Powergloves, eReaders, 3DS, a motion controlled system significantly less powerful than its competitors. It's all Novelty!
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2012
    This will literally make nipples hard.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    Witticus;4735320 said:
    Isn't that all Japan manufactures is novelty?

Indeed. They produce the technological equivalent of rubber dog ****.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    I've never had even the slightest urge to cross dress, but this sounds mighty tempting...
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2012
    I wear a bra on my head when conducting scientific experiments involving barbie dolls and pictures of Kelly LeBrock.

This will keep me cool in the summer.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I can see it now.... *Woman sues bra company for giving her erect nipples for life*
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited May 2012
    hmm, i remember reading somewhere that man-bra's are used a lot in Japan.

does that mean they get the icy one as well?
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    jibjqrkl;4735689 said:
    hmm, i remember reading somewhere that man-bra's are used a lot in Japan.

does that mean they get the icy one as well?

Doesn't seem like it. Sexist bastards.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    In before witch joke.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    topperharley;4735330 said:
    Indeed. They produce the technological equivalent of rubber dog ****.

At the very least, they're trying to solve problems that aren't really in need of solutions.

A good example: The Japanese government spent roughly one trillion yen ($13 billion USD) in the hopes of developing an analog HDTV standard. It works perfectly well - it just was made completely obsolete by digital standards.

That's the problem. They make stuff that works, but is it something that works well, or that somebody would pay to have work? Not so much anymore.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited May 2012
    All the frill at the top looks wholly unnecessary. I'd be leery about how comfortable these would be.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2012
    kiggidykev;4739136 said:
    All the frill at the top looks wholly unnecessary. I'd be leery about how comfortable these would be.

Try it on and see.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited May 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4739253 said:
    Try it on and see.

Nah thanks, buying lingerie online never ends well.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2012
    kiggidykev;4742337 said:
    Nah thanks, buying lingerie online never ends well.

It's better then in the store, it gets so awkward walking out of the dressing rooms cause you forgot... Oh wait... Ah Crap!
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited May 2012
    Condensation will likely be an issue.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited May 2012
    AzureAngel17;4744462 said:
    Condensation will likely be an issue.

You act like that's a bad thing.