Beatles: Rock Band. Could HMX use Kickstarter?

grashopper_grashopper_ Unsigned
edited July 2012 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I was just thinking today, with the new popularity of Kickstarter in game development...Could Hamonix use it to fund Beatles: Rock Band 2 or DLC? At least toss it out there to see if there is enough demand for it. I am assuming the budget is the main issue holding back development on Beatles songs. They are a slow pain to make and expensive to license. I was hoping we could throw money at HMX to make the profitability of the project more likely.
Would any of you support the idea?

Come on Harmonix, we need more songs!

Comments

  • edited May 2012
    I don't think money is the first hurdle.

    If the first hurdle was overcome, the second would be cash and time which are virtually interchangeable.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Harmonix paid $5 million up front just to work on the game. You raise that, then come back and we'll start step 2.


    I feel like I've said this before.

    Edit: Oh, I did.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    Well, I don't think that it would require a 5 million dollar payment for more DLC to be worked on....but who knows. I would contribute to any kickstarter that got more Beatles in Rock Band.

    Heck, I would contribute to any kickstarter that tried to get any big bands that are not in Rock Band yet or haven't been in years, (ie. Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Genesis, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith)
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    Hetz;4738440 said:
    Well, I don't think that it would require a 5 million dollar payment for more DLC to be worked on....

    You're right, I think it was $10 Million!
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Hetz;4738440 said:
    Well, I don't think that it would require a 5 million dollar payment for more DLC to be worked on....but who knows. I would contribute to any kickstarter that got more Beatles in Rock Band.

    Heck, I would contribute to any kickstarter that tried to get any big bands that are not in Rock Band yet or haven't been in years, (ie. Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Genesis, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith)

    In none of those cases is venture capital the stumbling block. Unless you're talking about money to allow HMX to hire new people to chart regular DLC while people go to England to work on the Beatles (or vice versa). Or would you be okay with 1 song a week for the core platform (if that)?

    Sorry, I know your heart's in the right place, but grassroots fundraising ain't gonna make Jimmy Page change his mind about music games.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    Hetz;4738440 said:
    Heck, I would contribute to any kickstarter that tried to get any big bands that are not in Rock Band yet or haven't been in years, (ie. Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Genesis, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith)

    I know someone from HMX tweeted directly about this and said that they have offered them money to work on GnR tracks, but that they aren't interested and they don't need the money enough to the point that they're willing to compromise their beliefs and allow the tracks to be released.

    Also, RS tracks are an issue because of the rights being split between parties that aren't cooperative and because the masters are so old, which is why GH got live versions for a lot of the bigger songs. We'll probably get a three pack down the line, but money, once again, isn't the issue here.

    As for Aerosmith, I can see the band/label/whomever controls the rights not wanting to create competition for the band centric game they had a while back by licensing tracks for another platform. I know it's been a long time since the game was released, but I'm sure that the rightsholders still have this mindset and if they don't then they probably changed their minds recently. From the point that they change their minds or would no longer be against it HMX needs to get to a point where they're willing to try again (because the rightsholders won't just pick up a phone and call HMX the second they change their mind, HMX would need to initiate the deal, which they won't if they still believe that they don't want to license the tracks). From there, it takes a bit of time to get a DLC pack released, so don't hold your breath or think that money is the issue here with this either.

    I'm not going to bother touching on LZ (except for poiting out that there music probably wouldn't be that fun in the game to warrant even a fraction of the requests the band gets) and I don't know enough about Genesis to crush all of your dreams at once, so as far as I and you know, next week we're getting a 24 pack of the greatest Genesis tracks ever.
  • edited May 2012
    Guys, we don't like to go into detail about licensing specifics, but I hope everyone realizes that none of the bands mentioned in this thread need money.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4739450 said:
    Guys, we don't like to go into detail about licensing specifics, but I hope everyone realizes that none of the bands mentioned in this thread need money.

    Are you sure?

    Not even for...ONE BILLION DOLLARS????
  • grashopper_grashopper_ Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4739450 said:
    Guys, we don't like to go into detail about licensing specifics, but I hope everyone realizes that none of the bands mentioned in this thread need money.

    I didn't mean it in a way that they need money. I just meant I knew they were expensive to license and took a long time to convert the tracks to be played.
    So more like funding HMX to go through the annoyance of doing the work and the time it takes.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    AskariNari;4739427 said:
    I know someone from HMX tweeted directly about this and said that they have offered them money to work on GnR tracks, but that they aren't interested and they don't need the money enough to the point that they're willing to compromise their beliefs and allow the tracks to be released.

    Not that I give any fraction of a ****, considering I passionately hate the band, but how did Chinese Democracy happen if that's the case?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    samjjones;4739556 said:
    Are you sure?

    Not even for...ONE BILLION DOLLARS????

    /pinky to corner of mouth
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4739709 said:
    Not that I give any fraction of a ****, considering I passionately hate the band, but how did Chinese Democracy happen if that's the case?
    Slash had no part in Chinese Democracy. Axl only says no to Appetite because Slash gets royalties from it.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Dealing with the labels, etc. Screw that.

    Let's figure out how much it would cost to buy EMI, Sony, and Apple Corps outright. Then we'll get this done.

    Like Ted DiBiase says, everybody has a price.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    This game is dead. Accept it.

    Even I, as about as hardcore of a Beatles fan as you could possibly be, have contemplated getting rid of it and moving on.

    And the main reason I say that is that eventually, a new Xbox is going to come out, and Xbox 360 games aren't going to work on it. So I'd have to keep my Xbox 360 for ONE game, and that's really not something I'm willing to do. I have no doubts that there will be a Rock Band 4 (or whatever) on the new systems that allow you to play older songs but with Beatles....this is all we've got. And as much as I love Beatles Rock Band because of beautiful it is artistically, I'm not keeping a system for 1 game.

    And exporting Beatles to the main Rock Band platform wouldn't change my mind about anything, btw. I doubt I'd even play the songs if they were in the main Rock Band game with those ridiculous looking avatars.

    It's a great game, too bad it ended up having a short shelf life. Because once the new systems are announced, this game is officially dead. They're not going to release DLC for a previous gen game/system. Just not going to happen.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Don't let caflagel hear you say any of that....
    mva5580;4741349 said:
    I have no doubts that there will be a Rock Band 4

    People keep saying that. I have tremendous doubts that there will ever be a Rock Band 4. I don't doubt that HMX will move on to developing new titles for the upcoming new consoles, but I don't see plastic-guitar games being among their (or Activision's, for that matter) offerings. Hard to imagine it'd be profitable, and with DLC having significantly less overhead, it's worth continuing down that route. I highly doubt the PS3 and the Xbox will be straight-up obsolete the moment the PS4/Orbis and the Nextbox come out (the PS2 isn't even completely obsolete, freaking now), so unless first party shuts the door on such a practice, I could absolutely see DLC continuing even while newer consoles exist.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    mva5580;4741349 said:
    Xbox 360 games aren't going to work on it.
    Please, share your wealth of information.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    mva5580;4741349 said:
    This game is dead. Accept it.

    Even I, as about as hardcore of a Beatles fan as you could possibly be, have contemplated getting rid of it and moving on.

    And the main reason I say that is that eventually, a new Xbox is going to come out, and Xbox 360 games aren't going to work on it. So I'd have to keep my Xbox 360 for ONE game, and that's really not something I'm willing to do. I have no doubts that there will be a Rock Band 4 (or whatever) on the new systems that allow you to play older songs but with Beatles....this is all we've got. And as much as I love Beatles Rock Band because of beautiful it is artistically, I'm not keeping a system for 1 game.

    And exporting Beatles to the main Rock Band platform wouldn't change my mind about anything, btw. I doubt I'd even play the songs if they were in the main Rock Band game with those ridiculous looking avatars.

    It's a great game, too bad it ended up having a short shelf life. Because once the new systems are announced, this game is officially dead. They're not going to release DLC for a previous gen game/system. Just not going to happen.

    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4741692 said:
    Please, share your wealth of information.

    It's called common sense. Care to wager on it? $500?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Common sense based on the Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, PlayStation 2, 3DS, original DS, Game Boy Advance, and Game Boy Color all working with the previous generations' games, and people having exponentially more invested in downloadable games and content in this generation that Microsoft can't afford to toss aside?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4742815 said:
    Common sense based on the Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, PlayStation 2, 3DS, original DS, Game Boy Advance, and Game Boy Color all working with the previous generations' games, and people having exponentially more invested in downloadable games and content in this generation that Microsoft can't afford to toss aside?
    No, common sense being that Xbox 360 games are on a regular DVD, and we all know DVD-read technology is rarely implemented in electronics.
  • caflagelcaflagel Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4741622 said:
    Don't let caflagel hear you say any of that....

    Aw, you thought of me. Nice to be remembered :)
  • olddrummerolddrummer Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    They don't have time to make good games anymore, what with dance central and that stupid Blitz crap.
  • LinksterLinkster Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4742465 said:
    Germans?

    Forget it, he's rolling.
  • MrCassieBugMrCassieBug Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    I check constantly for news on DLC, although nothing seems to be showing up. One thing I think they did wrong was base it on the sales of the three albums. You have Abbey Road, then you have Sgt. Pepper, two awesome epic albums. And then you have Rubber soul to finish it. Of course less people are going to download Rubber Soul then the other two, they could have made a better choice there. Don't get me wrong, I mean all 13 albums are great, Also, they could have, say, thrown some singles in between albums.

    But for funding, I'd totally pitch in. I wouldn't have much but I'd pay to see more songs. Or what if someone started an online fundraiser? Where we would pledge money and if Harmonix is happy, we pay it. I think they could release like a 3 single pack to test the waters again. Hell, I'd pay double.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    MrCassieBug;4819678 said:
    I check constantly for news on DLC, although nothing seems to be showing up. One thing I think they did wrong was base it on the sales of the three albums. You have Abbey Road, then you have Sgt. Pepper, two awesome epic albums. And then you have Rubber soul to finish it. Of course less people are going to download Rubber Soul then the other two, they could have made a better choice there.
    You're oversimplifying it. There were many factors which determined what kind of support TB:RB got after release. Sales of the DLC albums were just one part of that.

    Like many HMX reps have said, HMX would do more Beatles tomorrow if they were allowed to, and it was financially feasible. The bottom line is that Apple Corps has to be willing to play ball, and the market has to be strong enough to support the potential sale of DLC in order to justify it. It seems clear that one or both of these factors are currently not "true".

    Paul McCartney is probably the wealthiest musician who has ever lived on this planet. You probably need a little more than "we can sell X units of "Revolver" as Rock Band DLC, Paul!" when trying to convince him.
Sign In or Register to comment.