abynormalabynormal Rising Star
edited July 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I know there are fans of the original series here so somebody has GOT to be watching this. Korra has yet to disappoint me. Not only is the character a lot of fun, but so is everything else. It's only six episodes in but in my opinion it's already surpassed the original series. The tone is a lot more serious this time around and Amon has proven to be a downright scary enemy.

Thankfully, the series did not lose its trademark humor. Tenzin has actually proven to be the biggest source of laughs despite being so uptight. He and his family are downright adorable. I'm also pretty sure Bolin is Sokka's successor as far as being a lovable goof goes.

And let me tell you about the setting. Despite being located entirely in a single city, the story has not lost the epic feel of the original. Republic city is expansive and colorful, and right now it's on the path towards a huge conflict between benders and non-benders. The steampunk-meets-jazz-age feel they've given the show works better than I ever thought.

And the animation. It's even better this time around. This week's episode ended with a magnificently choreographed fight where Lin and Korra tag-team against some of Amon's henchmen atop a crumbling glass dome while attempting to board Amon's airship. My jaw did not leave my lap the entire time. I swear Lin could give Spider Man some pointers.

Every time the show fades to credits I feel a little sadder inside knowing it's over until next week. A cannot wait until next Saturday.

Comments

• abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4739010 said:
    I didn't know the series had started. I'll watch it.
    Fixed it for you. Now get to it!
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Haven't missed an episode yet.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    abynormal;4739105 said:
    Fixed it for you. Now get to it!

Heh, already have. Just finished the 2nd episode and it's pretty great so far. The modern feel of Republic City within the Avatar: The Last Airbender world takes some getting used to.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Not really modern, they just hit the 1920's or so.
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4739753 said:
    Not really modern, they just hit the 1920's or so.

"Modern" being used loosely in comparison to the architecture, method of transportation, and overall early traditional feel of The Last Airbender.
    edited May 2012
    I hope Asami doesn't turn out to be some mole working for Amon. She is cute and I like the character, plus she has that Dark Horse appeal since she's not a major character (yet). That tends to happen to characters like that (see Boomer).
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited May 2012
    abynormal;4739944 said:
    I hope Asami doesn't turn out to be some mole working for Amon. She is cute and I like the character, plus she has that Dark Horse appeal since she's not a major character (yet). That tends to happen to characters like that (see Boomer).

I doubt she's a mole. If anyone, it's going to be her father/his trusted second-in-command that we haven't seen yet.

Or people from CabbageCorp.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Potential Spoiler

So did those machines in today's episode remind anyone of the Big Daddy in Bioshock?
    edited May 2012
    [River Song] Spoilers!

Poor Asami. I think she's about to get a lot more popular. However, the way she took down Amon's lieutenant without breaking a sweat? Nice.

Also, Lin going all Wolverine on that mecha was probably this episode's Crowning Moment of Awesome, even if it didn't quite work.

If I do have one critique at the moment, it seems someone dialed down Korra's sass-back switch since the first two episodes. I know things have gotten really serious in the plot department, but that was one of the things that got me hooked on the character in the first place. I do hope the writers give her more opportunities to just let her hard-headed personality bounce off of people again, because she was FUN in the premier. Right now she just seems to be riding along with the plot rather than advancing it herself.
    edited May 2012
    I don't know if she's really being de-sassified, or if she simply lacks the proper targets against which she can sass this time around. When fighting the Wolfbats last episode, for example, she demonstrated that she still has the ability to sass with the best of'em ("that's not as much fun", "you and me, pretty boy!").

If Lin playing by the rules is this awesome, I can't wait to see what Bat-Lin is like.
    edited May 2012
    Caught up on the latest episode. Really nice, and I have to wonder if Lin actually killed the guy in the Mech suit.
    edited May 2012
    Spoilers
    Forgot to mention how I appreciate the way they interpreted the love triangle between the teammates. Added a bit of realism reflected in real world relationships.

What's that? Keep dating the friend who volunteered to help with your pro bending training from the start, cheered you up when you thought you weren't 'date worthy' and treated you to a fun date of noodles, soda, and sightseeing?

No! Fu** that guy!

Go kiss the dude who didn't even care what your name was the first time he saw you and who's already in a relationship.

Nice move, Whorra.
    edited May 2012
    Boo Memorial Day Weekend and lack of new episode.
    Bulzeeb;4752645 said:
    Spoilers

It's perfectly realistic for teenagers, definitely. Hopefully people get more mature as they age, although I can think of many cases that speak to the contrary (myself included).
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2012
    Boo Memorial Day Weekend and lack of new episode.
    +1

So disappointed.
    edited May 2012
    Gowienczyk;4753086 said:
    +1

So disappointed.
    Same, but then they said they're doing two next week to make up for it.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4754181 said:
    Same, but then they said they're doing two next week to make up for it.

=o
    edited June 2012
    I just checked my tv guide and it's only showing one episode at the usual time slot of 11 AM EST. The wiki also lists episode 8 and 9 with the usual week long gap from June 2nd to June 9th.

Was the double episode just a rumor?
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Bulzeeb;4761066 said:
    I just checked my tv guide and it's only showing one episode at the usual time slot of 11 AM EST. The wiki also lists episode 8 and 9 with the usual week long gap from June 2nd to June 9th.

Was the double episode just a rumor?

I hope not, but we'll see. I've heard nothing about it.

2 episodes would be sweet.
    edited June 2012
    Well that was pretty sweet, despite being just one episode.

Spoilers

Blood bending without a full moon has me intrigued.
    edited June 2012
    Oh if only they had the two episodes this week.
    edited June 2012
    JBlack240;4762277 said:
    Oh if only they had the two episodes this week.
    Seriously.
    edited June 2012
    Man this show is getting gooood. Seems like some crazy stuff is coming down the line what with everyone breaking all the rules about bending. Cannot wait to see where they'll take this.

I also like how the writers seem aware of what they're doing. For example, instead of dragging out the brewing conflict between Asami and Korra, they throw it out into the open with a little girl's question. Also, Airbender island must be way bigger than it looks if it has over ten thousand trees on it! Thanks for the trivia dump, Bolin!
    edited June 2012
    This show knows how to up the HSQ. Everything about that final fight left me with the jaw on the floor, and for a second I thought--despite being a Nick show that precedes Spongebob--things were gonna get lethal.

For sheer visual spectacle, nothing has topped the fight on top of the pro-bending arena, but damn if the two big fights we've had since aren't incredible.
    edited June 2012
    More spoilers:

I really like the bone crunching sound effects, and a question:
    Is it possible for a Blood Bender to stop someone's heart?
    edited June 2012
    ^

Considering you could stop the blood flow to the heart then yes you could stop someone's heart, among other things that could be done.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    ^ Wow never really thought of that before but that's a good point.
    edited June 2012
    M_Robbins5;4765428 said:
    ^ Wow never really thought of that before but that's a good point.
    More Spoilers (and theory):

The reason I asked that was because of Korra's hallucination after becoming Tarlock's ragdoll. Some guy is on trial, I think he does something, and everyone around him looks like they're suffering from a heart attack. My guess is that guy on trial (assuming he was the one Tarlock mentioned as a "threat to the city" 40 something years ago) is connected to Tarlock and taught him this unrestrictive form of Blood Bending.
    edited June 2012
    Bulzeeb;4764240 said:
    More spoilers:

I really like the bone crunching sound effects, and a question:
    Is it possible for a Blood Bender to stop someone's heart?
    Yes, and they could also probably explode the blood straight out of your veins if they wanted to. But it's only going to ever be used for physical manipulation. Hell, that fight was only the third instance of BLOOD in the series.

And the reason everyone is hunched over is because they're fighting their own bodies. It's certainly possible they were killed, since it's a Nick show and that part wasn't actually shown, but more likely than not, they were just pinned down until whatshisface vanished from the scene.

And is totally Tarrlok's dad and/or trainer. Calling it.
    edited June 2012
    Anyone else care to join the Bulzfhqwhgads* Conspiracy Theorists group?

*DISCLAIMER
    This name is not referring to any form of slash/clop-fiction between the two respective parties, nor is it a quote of permission to create any such thing.