Who lives in California and might be able to spare a couch come September?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I don't feel super comfortable giving all the details in the open, rather handle it by PM, but suffice it to say my current lease where I live is up at the end of August. After spending several months looking for new accommodations in my current town, I am looking elsewhere, and the elsewhere I want to go is south (I currently live in Washington) to seriously pursue screenwriting as a career.

Now when I say California, I don't just mean Los Angeles - if I meant that I would say that (though it would be a bonus). I'm hoping to reach LA sometime in the next five years. I wouldn't mind 'working my way down' as it were, and the prospect of settling for a time in a somewhat smaller town could really work out (since I expect the cost of living in LA is "paying out the ass").

But it's all a bit of a catch-22 when you move, because you really need a job and a place to live waiting for you. And with neither nailed down, I have explored prospects of moving to cities ranging from LA itself to Ukiah (rather in the north of California) and if there's any chance I could narrow down even just a city it would be of immense help.

To be honest, I don't expect anything to come of this, but I am running out of options (there's no family support to be had. None), and I am trying what I can :) So PM me if by some chance you might be accommodating. Thanks ;)

Comments

• lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Have you considered applying to go to school somewhere in CA? Maybe like Chico State?
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    lvmathemagician;4739453 said:
    Have you considered applying to go to school somewhere in CA? Maybe like Chico State?

People who want to party go to Chico State, it's not very high up in the educational ladder.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    soup567;4739479 said:
    People who want to party go to Chico State, it's not very high up in the educational ladder.

If you're only looking to move to CA, then it's a viable option. If I had to choose a school, my main questions would be does it offer my major and does it have a surfing program? Really, except for maybe 5% of the schools out there, most schools are the same.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited May 2012
    You looking for someplace free or a space to rent (a couch or spare room?). Have you considered looking into hostles? I live in the South Bay and had an ex roomate live at a hostel for close to a year. It was somplace in Hermosa Beach. I know they're all over though.

Just gotta have some form of $$$.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    Shacking up with some random person on the internet? What's the worst that could happen? :D
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Wow, I have to confess I was worried when I saw there were open replies to this thread. I figured it would be mocking. Thank you for proving me wrong :)

I'm already a college graduate, and I am quite happy to have that part of my life (school) be over. Quiiiiiiiiite happy. 'sides, I could never afford it anyway.
    folkeye said:
    You looking for someplace free or a space to rent (a couch or spare room?). Have you considered looking into hostles? I live in the South Bay and had an ex roomate live at a hostel for close to a year. It was somplace in Hermosa Beach. I know they're all over though.

Just gotta have some form of $$$.
    I have about 1300 bucks saved up and set aside. If I had some place to move to, I'm pretty sure that would cover the costs of getting me there, getting my **** there, first months' rent/security deposit/all that fun stuff. There's just a million little pieces to the puzzle and I don't even know what the picture on the box looks like.

I stayed in a hostel in Ireland once, actually (it wasn't just me, I was part of a student group and the accommodation was planned way in advance). That's an option I had not considered, thank you.

It just boils down to the fact that this chapter in my life is closing whether I like it or not. If I had any concrete idea as to where the next chapter began, I'd be fine with it (I came to this town to go to college and have now lived here eight years, and with no immediate prospects for the future, I am so ready to move on). I want to go to California (with an achin'...in my hea-art.......) to seriously pursue screenwriting. Of course I'd be perfectly happy to get a 'real job' too (it's my pie-in-the-sky dream to live off writing, though it'll probably never happen). I just need to get something firmly set. My parents and my sister all say they love me, but they all steadfastly refuse to put me up for any length of time. I guess I can't really blame them, it's not they're doing much better than I am. Maybe they could take a box of my crap until I get somewhere permanent to move to....

But yeah, the big thing is just getting down there. I want it so much, but as we all know, you don't get things just because you want them. But that's why I'm looking into every possible avenue, including reaching out to what are essentially strangers :p
    topperharley said:
    Shacking up with some random person on the internet? What's the worst that could happen? :D

???
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2012
    topperharley;4739555 said:

He knew his first victim and abducted the second.. Bad joke man, should have tried Joe Dirts version, at least he was more in line with being put in a hole on his will.
    [sarcasm]
    For an all out what's the worse that can happen, it's probably this[/sarcasm]

On a totally serious note, I can't help you much since you're on the wrong coast. I can suggest Vista/San Diego areas that my friends and an ex are from, but thats it. KingTonyX is from the So Cal area, hit him up and see what he has to say. He's still lurking around I do believe. Speaking of So Cal, ask Doc as well, sure he can help out possibly.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Sorry. I'm WAY down in Texas.
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    I'm from LA county, but I'm afraid I can't offer any help beyond my general knowledge of the region. If you want a specific city to look into, I must say my hometown of Monrovia kicks ass (I'm biased, but it really does have a lot going for it).
    edited May 2012
    $1,300.00 isn't much. It'd probably cover your cost of traveling down but wouldn't last too long in terms of living. CA is a nice place, just some of the cities are stupidly pricier than others for sure. I know where I live one bedroom apartments are 900+ in terms of rent.

I remember years ago looking at a site for looking to live with somebody (got lucky and ended up with a friend of the family so I didn't have to look too hard :p ). It was roomates.com. You can pick your area, gender preference for living, # of people to live with. It was a good site. I did end up meeting one person and checking out the place. Nice room, but again, other things worked out for me. Might want to check it out. Having a good roomate can be an awesome experience. Or in this case, if you're travelling with little you won't have to worry about whose stuff gets moved in and all :D
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    i have a couch but i live in the bay and 1300 is not gonna last you a month.

you can probably find an artist co-op. i'm not sure how prolific screen writing careers are around here.

have you tried Couchsurfing.org? it's meant for traveling but in a pinch it will do for a few days at a time. i did something similar when i moved to the bay, i was homeless for a week then i couch surfed for a few days till i found a place of my own. it's a bit scary, but exiting.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    To clarify, I don't expect to live off that amount of money, just to have it cover my move. I would like to have a job waiting for me, but that's so much easier said than done.
    edited May 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4741624 said:
    To clarify, I don't expect to live off that amount of money, just to have it cover my move. I would like to have a job waiting for me, but that's so much easier said than done.

Try the roomates.com and see what's there. You can at least talk to people ahead of time and tell them your situation.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited May 2012
    What if the couch is outside on a deck?
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited May 2012
    Rock_Starman;4747958 said:
    What if the couch is outside on a deck?

On a mother ****in' boat?
    edited May 2012
    BachiG;4748173 said:
    On a mother ****in' boat?