5/22 DLC Discussion Thread - Iron Maiden Epics 6 Pack!

Comments

• MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    People who have read my posts for years know why I am giddy.

Finally I get Flight of Icarus.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Plutarch;4743807 said:
    This is a very early Maiden classic - the unison bonuses are going to be SICK.
    Interesting, I think this is the first time I've seen excitement for unison bonuses. :D
    Plutarch;4743863 said:
    I guess a follow up question would be...is it charted?

The spoken intro is not charted.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4743809 said:
    If it's all devil-horns on guitars...no thanks.
    Only five of them are devil-tier on guitar. :p
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    David2380;4743877 said:
    I agree..other than Hallowed, TNOTB is overrated

It generally gets credit for its influence, but yeah it's not the most consistent set of tracks. I love Hallowed, Run to the Hills, The Prisoner and Children of the Damned, but I always thought Invaders was lame and I never got what people saw in 22 Acacia Avenue. Seventh Son is probably my favorite Maiden album (of the earlier era, anyhow, my favorite newer album is Dance of Death) and is well represented in this pack!
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    Magnet;4743882 said:

How many are devil tier on drums?

Edit: My diehard Maiden fan friend just got on google chat.
    (9:33:20 AM) Stack: HOLY ****IN ****!!!!!!
    (9:33:56 AM) Stack: Duuuuuuude
    (9:34:17 AM) Stack: I think I just peed a drop
    ... so I think at least he's happy.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    This is just about the best thing I could have hoped for once the "not prog" clue dropped. These are the songs I grew up with, and I am very happy the pack isn't a crosspollination of old and new Maiden causing me to have to decide if it's worth buying the pack when half the songs are songs I don't especially care for. I care for all of these songs. "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" is one track that I've specifically identified as a song I'd like before but really thought that was a pipe dream. We will now have fully half of that album (my favorite Maiden album, and my favorite Metal album) - 4 of 8 tracks. More-than-half by time (24:00 of 43:50).

My long drought breaks.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    samjjones;4743876 said:
    The mods didn't hype any of this.

They did, and rightly so. It's very significant material. We can like it or not but it's very relevant stuff, which still won't prevent people from being disappoointed.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Magnet;4743882 said:
    Nice :p
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Plutarch;4743884 said:
    It generally gets credit for its influence, but yeah it's not the most consistent set of tracks. I love Hallowed, Run to the Hills, The Prisoner and Children of the Damned, but I always thought Invaders was lame and I never got what people saw in 22 Acacia Avenue. Seventh Son is probably my favorite Maiden album (of the earlier era, anyhow, my favorite newer album is Dance of Death) and is well represented in this pack!

Dance and Pascendale are sick, epic tracks ...talk about atmosphere...those songs can literally give you the chills...love them
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    edited May 2012
    MourganDespana;4743880 said:
    People who have read my posts for years know why I am giddy.

Finally I get Flight of Icarus.

Not a huge Maiden fan but is that song choice awesomely unexpected or what? A pro upgrade too you say? HMX couldn't have picked a better one but I am pretty darn old.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Magnet;4743882 said:

I'm guessing Infinite Dreams is the exception. For drums, I'm going to guess three devil tiers (Phantom, Ancient Mariner, and Seventh Son) Maybe Prisoner as well just because Clive Burr was such a beast but I'm not sure.
    Dance and Pascendale are sick, epic tracks ...talk about atmosphere...those songs can literally give you the chills...love them
    Love those two, also a huge fan of No More Lies, Rainmaker, Face in the Sand, Journeyman...just love that album!
  • Sp3eDSp3eD Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    Are the 12 songs in Maiden Pack 1 going to get broken up into albums now? The Seventh Son of a Seventh Son will be chilling by itself when it should be in an album with The Clairvoyant and Can I Play with Madness.
  • SoftVoicedBearSoftVoicedBear Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    got my hopes up very high, shouldn't have done it

not for me, so (again) on to next week...
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2012
    Quaszar;4743806 said:
    So Genesis is next week then....

Indubitably so, indeed!
    SheSaidSheSaid;4743852 said:
    I wonder when the next DLC that leaves me jumping-up-and-down excited will come. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed quite a bit of this year's DLC (surprise big-time favorite: Sounds of Shinedown), but I haven't had that giddy feeling at announcement since 2112. Maybe someday again :)

2112 had so much going for it, that it was too much not to like it though. Free pro upgrades, 20+ min medley and early release for Xbox for the price of a 3 pack? I know if they ever release more Bob Dylan I would truly be a happy man. That would probably make me cry in joy.
    samjjones;4743853 said:
    Classic rock-ish songs released by HMX in first 143 days of 2012:

Eddie Money (1)*
    Men At Work (2)*
    Huey Lewis & The News (3)*
    Heart (1)
    CCR (3)
    Edgar Winter Group (2)*
    Hall & Oates (3)*

* artists new to RB

15 songs over @6 months.

Damned Facebookers and their dashboards!

Damned 2012 economy.

Damned classic rock artists and their popular success thus necessitating higher licensing fees.

This post makes me a sad panda, I want more classic Rock!!!!! Naow!!!
    HMX, how can I give you my money's if you there's no classic rock geysers springing forth? You never let me down, don't forget that (;
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Pros:
    - 6 songs
    - Di Anno on vocals

Cons:
    - No Out of the silent planet, Wasting Love, Wrathchild
    - NO ALBUM SORTING!!! Worst thing EVER
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4743847 said:
    Yep, longer than all of The Cars self title album!

And longer than Doolittle. But to be fair everything's longer than Doolittle.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited May 2012
    I was actually listening to Iron Maiden yesterday and added Hallowed Be Thy Name to my iPod.
    I did listen to Flight of the Icarus and did remember it was very meh.

Going back to my first impressions shtick either in my next class or when I get home.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited May 2012
    TheDescent;4743898 said:
    - NO ALBUM SORTING!!! Worst thing EVER

Oh yeah. That sucks.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    Dammit, now I have to go back and buy the rest of the Maiden. And I left a lot out. Big mistake, I know.
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    Easily the best dlc this year!
  • trojannemotrojannemo Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    bah I should have expected it would be something I'm not excited about. Iron Maiden? ahhhh.

would have much much much rather preferred Meat Loaf or Pink Floyd.
  • HaibaneHaibane Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    David2380;4743879 said:
    like them or not, you cannot over hype Maiden. Huge , important band when you look at the greater picture
    Sure I get that they're a big band, and I've even got a few of their DLC tracks, but they're very well represented in RB already. I know that this doesn't matter at all to fans of Iron Maiden, I know that there are any number of reasons for other bands being less well-represented, and I know that there isn't any set limit to the number of songs that an artist "should" have in RB, but that doesn't stop the week being any less meh for me.

I've looked at the greater picture. It's pretty great.
  • IIICCIIIIIICCIII Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    So disappointed that this is what all the fuss was about.

Will cherry-pick a few, but I haven't re-downloaded any of the old Maiden and have no plans to, so yeah... this is not at all what I was hoping for. To be expected though.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    undertow;4743812 said:
    I wouldn't exactly call an Artist we've had 2-3 times with 10+ songs already an epic update.

1. We've gotten Maiden ONCE before. One pack. And we got a cover of a Maiden song once (well, twice, but one of them never exported) - which doesn't count.

2. The word 'epic' was used very deliberately. These are epics. It's even in the track pack title.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    daxx1970;4743891 said:
    Not a huge Maiden fan but is that song choice awesomely unexpected or what? A pro upgrade too you say? HMX couldn't have picked a better one but I am pretty darn old.

My first Maiden Song I remember liking was FoI.

Second was Run to The Hills...

I will get most likely the whole pack sooner then later, but because of funds, will cherry pick Flight, and Mariner first...

Unless I win a pack in the sweepstakes.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    NO WAYYYYY
    greatest weak eer from the greatest metal band ever
    and this is my birthday!!!!

THANK YOU HARMONIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gamer1270Gamer1270 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4743757 said:
    Hmm... well... hopefully the Blitz announcement will be better.

I agree! A six pack, but this band. Why couldn't it have been Three Days Grace getting a six pack a while back or Paramore? Nothing for me this week.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited May 2012
    Sp3eD;4743894 said:
    Are the 12 songs in Maiden Pack 1 going to get broken up into albums now? The Seventh Son of a Seventh Son will be chilling by itself when it should be in an album with The Clairvoyant and Can I Play with Madness.

Yeah, this is a good question. I'm really hoping they do change it, but then again we've got 3 Black Tide songs with different album covers, or bands like T. Rex having 2 different genres when he's clearly glam.
  • frisbeestevefrisbeesteve Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    Dr. Para;4743774 said:
    Oh god, here's my money, take it, take it all!

This pretty much sums it up!!!

I am INCREDIBLY STOKED and super excited... haven't been this excited about RB DLC in ages! We've gotten lots of good DLC spanning many genres, but this... THIS!!! To finally get more of one of the best and most amazingly fun bands to play in the game, and to get these lengthy EPIC classics? I just might attempt to purchase this twice to show support and appreciation!!! :)

THANK YOU HARMONIX, YOU TOTALLY... TOTALLY ROCK!!!
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Haibane;4743906 said:
    Sure I get that they're a big band, and I've even got a few of their DLC tracks, but they're very well represented in RB already. I know that this doesn't matter at all to fans of Iron Maiden, I know that there are any number of reasons for other bands being less well-represented, and I know that there isn't any set limit to the number of songs that an artist "should" have in RB, but that doesn't stop the week being any less meh for me.

I've looked at the greater picture. It's pretty great.

understood, but you are the one that said HMX won't have to try much harder to top this week...that couldn't be further from the truth...any and all Maiden is a HUGE get , like them or not
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited May 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4743915 said:
    Yeah, this is a good question. I'm really hoping they do change it, but then again we've got 3 Black Tide songs with different album covers, or bands like T. Rex having 2 different genres when he's clearly glam.

Don't think they'll change it because Billy Joel had all the songs under The Hits, and then the second pack had the songs with their actual albums.