has anyone ever heard their name called but no ones there?

Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I swear bruther. I was just sitting on the couch tonight and I could've swore I heard my wife call my name bruther. The only problem is she's not here pal.... Talk about spooky bruther.

Has this ever happened to someone bruther? It's amazing how your mind plays tricks on you pal.

Comments

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I heard my name 3 times through the speakers while recording music, and it sounded like my deceased grandmother. :|
    I do here my name all the time though (But it's usually me thinking I do and i'm usually playing rock band)
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited May 2012
    Or how about when a stranger says your name and you think they're talking to you.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Never. All of you are totally crazy.
  • SuperTigerMarioSuperTigerMario I'm not a hipster!
    edited May 2012
    There's this part in Peace Frog where I swear they are saying my name in the background. Throws me off every time I play it.
  • edited May 2012
    dog037;4746772 said:
    Or how about when a stranger says your name and you think they're talking to you.

Yes.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, happens to me a lot actually. It'll be the middle of the night and I'm watching TV or something and I think I hear someone knocking on my door or calling my name (since people love to bother me late at night all the time), but it ends up being nobody. Logically, it's just my AC making a noise that sounds like a knock and it's just my grandfather's TV that sounds like someone is calling me. It's a little spooky sometimes when it happens and my AC isn't on and my grandfather isn't home. It's just one of those weird human instincts when you think you heard something, but it really wasn't anything at all.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Plenty of times since my name is a common word, in America anyways. I remember learning about the "cocktail party effect" in AP Psychology. The effect describes the phenomena of our ears being fine tuned to pick up our name, even among a crowded party full of noise everywhere.

Here's some more info on it
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    Michael is the most common name freaking ever here. So I hear my name all the damn time or Mike which I rhymes with so many common things. On a creepy side I'm still convinced Franz Ferdinand says the phrase "Michael Witt on a silver platter" (my realz name yo)
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    edited May 2012
    I hate the "stranger calling your name" bruther more than "thought I heard someone calling my name" pal.
    BohemianMatt;4746778 said:
    Never. All of you are totally crazy.

On a separate note:

BohemianMatt BohemianMatt BohemianMatt
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Witticus;4746948 said:
    Michael is the most common name freaking ever here. So I hear my name all the damn time or Mike which I rhymes with so many common things.

same for me...

one of my classes in High School had 7 Michaels it was very annoying...
    edited May 2012
    firedoom666;4746977 said:
    same for me...

My class in 8th grade had 7 Tylers. By Senior year only two remained.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    I know three other Matts aside from myself.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited May 2012
    It happens to me all of the time.
    The mosrt significant occurance was when I was walking to the train station jamming along with my headphones and then I hear someone whisper right next to me "Mario... Mario!"

I took off my headphones and ...
    Nothing!
    Nobody was there.
    edited May 2012
    firedoom666;4746977 said:
    same for me...

It followed me into college too. In a class of only 12, there were 3 Michael's so my girlfriend at the time gave me the name Witticus to distinguish myself from the legion of impostor Michaels.
  • edited May 2012
    Hogan2000;4746765 said:
    I swear bruther. I was just sitting on the couch tonight and I could've swore I heard my wife call my name bruther. The only problem is she's not here pal.... Talk about spooky bruther.

Has this ever happened to someone bruther? It's amazing how your mind plays tricks on you pal.

Best thread, would read again.
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4747130 said:
    Best thread, would read again.
    Thought you were ATF for a second there...
    edited May 2012
    hmxhenry;4747130 said:
    Best )thread(, would read {again].

Like pizzza but without the smiley faces...hmm, I may be on to something here. To the Daxxmobile!

Fixed it Witt.
    edited May 2012
    daxx1970;4747204 said:
    Like pizzza but without the smiley faces...hmm, I may be on to something here. To the Daxxmobile!

Or confused use of parenthesis.
  • edited May 2012
    It could have been worse, you could have heard her calling out "Oh Macho Man"...

I kid...
    edited May 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4747318 said:
    It could have been worse, you could have heard her calling out "Oh Macho Man"...

I kid...

Actually "Oh Chyna" would be about the worst.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited May 2012
    If my name wasn't one of the most freaking common names in the US, it wouldn't be a problem. More along the lines of people saying "Chris!", and me being the popular kid thinking they're talking about me, but nooooooooo it's one of the other 40 or so Chrises.

But yeah, I always feel like someone is calling my name, especially when I'm alone.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    I remember listening over to my Winter WonderLand for last minute checks, and heard a voice saying "Nath-AN!" Sounded like my little sister. I looked around, of course it was 1 AM, and didn't find anyone.

a couple days after it was uploaded and I told everyone, it turns out she WAS there, and sound bombed the vocal track. Well, she wanted to be in one of my songs, anyway.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited May 2012
    daxx1970;4746969 said:
    On a separate note:

BohemianMatt BohemianMatt BohemianMatt

You hear something?
  • trueguitarist88trueguitarist88 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    This has happened to me sometimes, but I never have the problem where a stranger calls my name. My name is Spencer and I've only met one other Spencer in my life so it's very rare that I would be confused with someone else. However, if people say words that sound like my name (exPENSive being one of them), it gets my attention.