Tropical Storm Names!

AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Here are the lists for this year! Note that these are the same as from 2006, since none of the storms that year were bad enough to knock any names off of the list. This set was also used in 2000, but the K name at the time was "Keith." Keith was officially retired after the storm slammed into the Yucatan as a monster Cat 4 storm. They didn't make it to K in 2006, so this could be the first year where the name "Kirk" is used.

Atlantic:
  • Tropical Storm Alberto
  • Tropical Storm Beryl
  • Hurricane Chris
  • Tropical Storm Debby
  • Ernesto
  • Florence
  • Gordon
  • Helene
  • Isaac
  • Joyce
  • Kirk
  • Leslie
  • Michael
  • Nadine
  • Oscar
  • Patty
  • Rafael
  • Sandy
  • Tony
  • Valerie
  • William
Pacific:
  • Tropical Storm Aletta
  • Hurricane Bud
  • Hurricane Carlotta
  • Daniel
  • Emilia
  • Fabio
  • Gilma
  • Hector
  • Ileana
  • John
  • Kristy
  • Lane
  • Miriam
  • Norman
  • Olivia
  • Paul
  • Rosa
  • Sergio
  • Tara
  • Vicente
  • Willa
  • Xavier
  • Yolanda
  • Zeke
My name isn't on the list, how about y'all?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    While I realize it is unlikely, what happens if they get all the way to Zeke and there is another storm?
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited May 2012
    No Hogan in there bruther. Who names these stroms pal?
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4748495 said:
    While I realize it is unlikely, what happens if they get all the way to Zeke and there is another storm?

I believe they start using Alpha, Beta, and so on down the Greek alphabet.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2012
    AzureAngel17;4748457 said:
    My name isn't on the list, how about y'all?

Yes
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited May 2012
    Nope, my oddball name makes few lists
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited May 2012
    Well hope hurricane Michael is a bad one so people stop naming there freaking kids Michael then yelling at them in the store and making me think they're talking to me.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Bulzeeb;4748515 said:
    I believe they start using Alpha, Beta, and so on down the Greek alphabet.

You are correct!

From an article: "Believe it or not, weather officials have a contingency plan. If they run out of names, they start back at the beginning -- with the Greek alphabet. So storm No. 22 would be Tropical Storm Alpha, then followed by Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc..."

Thanks for the post, Azure. I love looking at storm names.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited May 2012
    Yay I'm a storm!
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2012
    Tropical storm Zeke says you got a pretty mouth.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    So, so far we've had a fish storm apiece in the Atlantic and Pacific...
  • blaze122blaze122 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    I think it would be funny to hear about Tropical Storm Yolanda on the news haha
    edited May 2012
    killer_roach;4748897 said:
    So, so far we've had a fish storm apiece in the Atlantic and Pacific...

The race is on! I'm on team Atlantic!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 2012
    My name ain't there. That's a good thing, because I don't think "Tropical Storm Jesse" sounds too menacing.
    edited May 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4748987 said:
    My name ain't there. That's a good thing, because I don't think "Tropical Storm Jesse" sounds too menacing.

Nothing like a Hurricane Michael to know you're gonna get f***ed. It will destroy homes, land, and hearts.
    edited May 2012
    Witticus;4748985 said:
    The race is on! I'm on team Atlantic!

No way! Team Pacific is the best! At least our storms just have fish and coconuts in them. Your storms are syringes and Coney Island white fish.
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited May 2012
    If anyone is interested in seeing the full spate of names globally, all of the current lists are here. My name isn't on any of the lists, but my nickname is on one of the Australian lists and was used in 2009. :)
    CJHobbes;4748771 said:
    You are correct!

From an article: "Believe it or not, weather officials have a contingency plan. If they run out of names, they start back at the beginning -- with the Greek alphabet. So storm No. 22 would be Tropical Storm Alpha, then followed by Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc..."

Thanks for the post, Azure. I love looking at storm names.

It hasn't been too terribly long since this happened! In 2005, they got all the way down to Zeta in the Atlantic. Tropical Storm Zeta formed in the open ocean at 6AM UTC on December 30th and hung around for nearly a week after New Years 2006! If it had waited 42 hours to become a tropical storm on January 1st, it would have shared the name Alberto with our most recent Atlantic fish storm.
    edited May 2012
    Lawdog1521;4749000 said:
    No way! Team Pacific is the best! At least our storms just have fish and coconuts in them. Your storms are syringes and Coney Island white fish.

I see you obviously need your Pacific storms more to wash off all your hippies.
    edited May 2012
    Witticus;4749048 said:
    I see you obviously need your Pacific storms more to wash off all your hippies.

They provide mondo waves, Bud.

You guys need yours to wash your mafia stool pigeons out to sea.
    edited May 2012
    Lawdog1521;4749053 said:
    They provide mondo waves, Bud.

You guys need yours to wash your mafia stool pigeons out to sea.

At least our mafias are respectable people not like your gangs. When we drown a squealer in the havoc that is the 2012 hurricane season, we do it in style!
    edited May 2012
    Good job, Azure. You've started an East coast/West Coast feud. I'm pretty sure this is how Tupac died.
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Tupac is dead?
    edited May 2012
    JBlack240;4749267 said:
    Tupac is dead?

East coasters know the truth that he's not dead. Maybe a storm will wash away Pacific ignorance.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Witticus;4748988 said:
    Nothing like a Hurricane Michael to know you're gonna get f***ed. It will destroy homes, land, and hearts.

Man I think I will have to use this quote when I am playing games with my friends :)
  • DAMdudeDAMdude Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    What, no "Scrambles the Death Dealer"?
    edited May 2012
    Bud hasn't strengthened into a hurricane as expected and the NHC has no idea why. They've revised their forecast to keep it at Tropical Storm strength through Friday.

The current forecast track gives it a turn to the Northeast towards Mexico, then it becomes a game of chicken. The storm is expected to make a turn back out to sea Saturday then quickly dissipate, but they don't know if it will go onshore briefly first, so the Mexican state of Jalisco is going to be keeping a close eye on this.

Edit: Satellite photo of Bud. One of NASA's geostationary satellites snapped this pic yesterday afternoon.
    edited May 2012
    Here's a more recent photo of Bud.
    edited May 2012
    Lawdog1521;4749550 said:
    Here's a more recent photo of Bud.

You win this round, Bud on this side looks like this.
  • edited May 2012
    Witticus;4749554 said:
    You win this round, Bud on this side looks like this.
    A face only a mother could love, and she's blind.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    DAMdude;4749453 said:
    What, no "Scrambles the Death Dealer"?

Governor Explosion will protect our state!
    edited May 2012
    Bud really is an awful name for a tropical cyclone. I'm guessing that was an American-proposed name, I can't see Mexico suggesting that.

"Bud" has been on the name list since they added male names. It was used for the first time in 1982 and has been used every single time it has come up, making appearances in 1988, 1994, 2000, and 2006 as well. It has only reached Hurricane status once, in 2000, and has never made landfall, though the 1988 Tropical Storm Bud did hug the coastline and dump a lot of rain on parts of southwest Mexico.