I hate what the media has done for the arcade-y rhythm game genre

SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
edited May 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
It feels like they've done nothing but spread rumors and straight lies. They've trained the average dumbass gamer to hate anything that's related to a rhythm game that doesn't devote itself entirely to real guitar over the last couple years. Blahblahblah it's a dead genre, blahblahblah Harmonix was technically only acquired for a few bucks, blahblahblah oversaturation, etc.

The hate for Rock Band: Blitz is truly disheartening. Something different from the modern era of rhythm games, but that's not enough. We all need to conform and buy all the Power Gigs and Rocksmiths :(

Or maybe it's just me reading YouTube comments. That's where most of the hate is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

  • edited May 2012
    If you are using YouTube comments as some sort of gauge of humanity then well...

    This spiral only goes down.

    On a side note, comparing Power Gig to Rocksmith is really silly.
  • AskariNariAskariNari Rising Star
    edited May 2012
    People view Rock Band poorly because they either don't know it has pro mode (and had it before Rocksmith) or because they know that Rocksmith is better in just about every way than RB Pro (the menu and the amount of songs available are the only things RB has over Rocksmith IMHO). They're aboslutely right about the overstauration thing though: rhythm games needed more GH as much as the FPS genre needed more WW2 shooters.

    I can understand why people would view RBB poorly too, it can be seen as though HMX is waving the white flag and stepping aside for Rocksmith by turning towards arcade and party games while us hardcore fans simply view RBB mainly as a track pack that happens to come with a free game.

    However, the fact remains that this isn't because of the media, but this is because of how people simply feel about rhythm games, the media isn't making them feel the way they feel.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2012
    The problem is that RB3 tried to be both arcade-y and real instrument-y. The former obscured the latter, and both together left no room for the RB2 tour type thing.

    RBB is pure arcade, down to the controller gameplay - that's why I'm excited for it. The GH school of arcade-y + fake instruments is the dead end.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4758498 said:
    If you are using YouTube comments as some sort of gauge of humanity then well...

    This spiral only goes down.

    On a side note, comparing Power Gig to Rocksmith is really silly.

    Not humanity, just the player base :p

    And Power Gig and Rocksmith are both games that solely rely on real guitar, right?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Power Gig is just a cheap 5-button knock-off with a half-assed "power chord mode" tacked on.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4758584 said:
    Power Gig is just a cheap 5-button knock-off with a half-assed "power chord mode" tacked on.
    Don't forget their air drums and lack of bass.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    AskariNari;4758503 said:
    People view Rock Band poorly because they either don't know it has pro mode (and had it before Rocksmith) or because they know that Rocksmith is better in just about every way than RB Pro (the menu and the amount of songs available are the only things RB has over Rocksmith IMHO).
    eh. i would turn that around and say that the only things RS has over RB pro mode is the guitar note detection technology and the ability to use almost any guitar. that is, however, arguably the most important feature.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    AskariNari;4758503 said:
    They're aboslutely right about the overstauration thing though: rhythm games needed more GH as much as the FPS genre needed more WW2 shooters.

    Yeah, because that genre is sure going dowhi--hey WAITAMINUTE!
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4758584 said:
    Power Gig is just a cheap 5-button knock-off with a half-assed "power chord mode" tacked on.

    The best thing about Power Gig's 5 button mode is you can use a RB or GH guitar to play it....but you can't tilt to activate whatever-Power Gig-calls-OD. You have to hit the select button. So unless you've got one of those GH guitars with the handy palm mash button, it'd be a serious pain in the butt and almost impossible to do it with the precision wanted to get a good score (and, that might even be true even with the GH guitar).
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 2012
    As Power Gig is America only (so I can't try it), the best part of the game I would say is that the setlist includes You're Gonna Go Far, Kid by The Offspring.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    They can say what they want about Power Gig and Rocksmith, but the fact remains...

    ...they aren't very good games, and, on top of that, Power Gig is an absolutely egregious guitar sim.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I hate to be that jerkish journalism major, but instead of using the buzzwordy "the media," (god I hate this phrase so much) please preface it with "some members of the gaming press." The way it's stated makes it seem like all of us espouse a negative opinion of rhythm games. I know I certainly don't.

    Otherwise I agree with the OP. :)
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited May 2012
    SeymourDuncan17;4758476 said:
    It feels like they've done nothing but spread rumors and straight lies. They've trained the average dumbass gamer to hate anything that's related to a rhythm game that doesn't devote itself entirely to real guitar over the last couple years. Blahblahblah it's a dead genre, blahblahblah Harmonix was technically only acquired for a few bucks, blahblahblah oversaturation, etc.

    The hate for Rock Band: Blitz is truly disheartening. Something different from the modern era of rhythm games, but that's not enough. We all need to conform and buy all the Power Gigs and Rocksmiths :(

    Or maybe it's just me reading YouTube comments. That's where most of the hate is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Actually Power Gig doesn't get love from anyone.
  • Redskinsrock2689Redskinsrock2689 Road Warrior
    edited May 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4758663 said:
    So unless you've got one of those GH guitars with the handy palm mash button, it'd be a serious pain in the butt and almost impossible to do it with the precision wanted to get a good score (and, that might even be true even with the GH guitar).

    Anyone with any 5 button guitar that tilts to activate is going to be much less precise. I would guess that well over 99% of #1 scores on songs with over 1000 scores are obtained by someone who used the select/back button. The gh2 xplorer (especially) and rb strat are the only 1st party guitars that are even slightly difficult to activate using the button, and even the strat isnt that bad.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited May 2012
    My RB guitars are so badass they activate themselves, tilt or no tilt, button or no button.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2012
    dog037;4758686 said:
    Actually Power Gig doesn't get love from anyone.
    I tried to champion Power Gig when it first came out. I was the nitwit who said something about how GH was for the hardcore 5-button players, RB was for parties and character players, and PG was for real instrument players, on their forums.

    Didn't turn out so well - I didn't even bother to put my money where my mouth was and purchase the game.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited May 2012
    Redskinsrock2689;4758693 said:
    Anyone with any 5 button guitar that tilts to activate is going to be much less precise. I would guess that well over 99% of #1 scores on songs with over 1000 scores are obtained by someone who used the select/back button. The gh2 xplorer (especially) and rb strat are the only 1st party guitars that are even slightly difficult to activate using the button, and even the strat isnt that bad.

    If that's what you thought I meant when I said "a good score," then all right, but what I actually meant by "a good score" was....a good score. Top-o'-the-leaderboard is a whole different beast.

    And personally I've never been able to hit the button while strumming. It's either right before a strumming section, or in the middle of a sustain.
    Lawdog1521;4758698 said:
    My RB guitars are so badass they activate themselves, tilt or no tilt, button or no button.
    Yeah I had one that did that too :p
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of YouTube comments, since this thread was started over them: http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=UlHBohxvX4Y

    More people admit after RB3's release that the characters are poorly done.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited May 2012
    We're getting a bit off topic on this one, but I swear by the Fender Telecaster as my five-button of choice. It has a little metal strip in "front" of the strum bar (as opposed to the one "behind" for the gh-tars). The metal strip doesn't even need to be pressed down, but merely touched to activate OD. Sometimes pressing a button and strumming can throw your rhythm off in those really fast sections, but on the Telecaster, touching the thing is a breeze. I like it's Rock Band style frets and almost GH-clicky strumbar too. Overall, it's easily the best five-button guitar on the market, and it doesn't seem like too many players use it. I bought two, just in case...

    Now that being said, I'm sure this would be ideal for playing Power Gig, but then again, who really wants to play Power Gig anyway?
  • edited May 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4758727 said:

    Didn't turn out so well
    Well, consistency counts for... Something?

    At least you didn't... Oh wait... Spoke too soon.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4759123 said:
    At least you didn't... Oh wait... Spoke too soon.
    Hey, I brought it up for a relevant reason.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited May 2012
    I think it's the "gamers" out there thinking Call of Duty's are the only good game made now.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2012
    Dangimarocker;4759291 said:
    I think it's the "gamers" out there thinking Call of Duty's are the only good game made now.

    That's true.

    When the most exposure an "average" person has to video games is via something like Angry Birds, Minecraft, or first person shooters, chances are they won't "get" rhythm games. The gaming world is undergoing a dramatic upheaval at the moment.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited May 2012
    I hope the entire landscape gets renovated, because I'm actually starting to become cynical and jaded at games.
Sign In or Register to comment.