Another Saturday Night with GNF, ATF & Friends...

GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
RockBandRocker;4762063 said:
Seriously, HMX needs to start doing some cross-licensing.
They have? Drop It Like It's Hot? Just Dance? Poker Face?
starfire1978;4762300 said:
I just wish/hope they could bypass the big 3 and make a piece of hardware themselves to make more profit for harmonix.
I don't think you understand how 'profit' works. Here's a tip, it DOESN'T work by having to create your own console and force your userbase to rebuy games, instruments, and DLC because the big three won't share.

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762329 said:
    They have? Drop It Like It's Hot? Just Dance? Poker Face?

The types of songs and the masters needed are totally different for the two games.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762334 said:
    The types of songs and the masters needed are totally different for the two games.
    I know. That doesn't change that we have songs in both games.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Rock music belongs in Rock Band, dance music belongs in Dance Central. There's a few Dance Central songs I'd like to see in Rock Band at some point down the road, but for the most part there's a reason there's not much overlap.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762337 said:
    I know. That doesn't change that we have songs in both games.

But they cant cross license songs because of the things needed for the songs
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762341 said:
    But they cant cross license songs because of the things needed for the songs
    They could just pursue a song for both games at the same time. No one said it had to be in one contract, or in identical manners.
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks that there is very little overlap for songs in RB versus DC? All the DC songs on Rock Band are meh to play and I don't think any casual gamers want to pop n' lock to Raining Blood
    edited June 2012
    atalkingfish;4762356 said:
    Am I the only one who thinks that there is very little overlap for songs in RB versus DC? All the DC songs on Rock Band are meh to play and I don't think any casual gamers want to pop n' lock to Raining Blood

The songs they have in common are fun on vocals. And id pop n' lock to Raining Blood
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, I'd hate having Brick House or Funkytown in Rock Band, almost as much as I'd hate having more No Doubt in Dance Central.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762363 said:
    Yeah, I'd hate having Brick House or Funkytown in Rock Band, almost as much as I'd hate having more No Doubt in Dance Central.

I said "very little", not "nonexistent"

Certainly not enough to warrant a whole new method of licensing.
    edited June 2012
    atalkingfish;4762367 said:
    Certainly not enough to warrant a whole new method of licensing.
    If you consider, "Hey, can we do this for two games?" to be a 'whole new method of licensing'.
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762343 said:
    They could just pursue a song for both games at the same time. No one said it had to be in one contract, or in identical manners.
    God forbid Harmonix save time and do a twofer when dealing with the people they'd have to go through anyway.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762375 said:
    If you consider, "Hey, can we do this for two games?" to be a 'whole new method of licensing'.]

I bet it actually would be.
    edited June 2012
    atalkingfish;4762426 said:
    I bet it actually would be.
    I bet it wouldn't be, because it's exactly what they've been doing, just in one trip, not two.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762427 said:
    I bet it wouldn't be, because it's exactly what they've been doing, just in one trip, not two.

Right, but I can only imagine the can of worms that would be opened if a company like HMX was dealing with labels they've established their terms with and they went and made this huge modification. Probably a lot of time and effort on both ends where, as I mentioned, there would be little to no financial increase. There are very very few songs on DC that I'd like to purchase for Rock Band, and even if I did, they don't need the stems for DC, so that means they can work with more songs.
    edited June 2012
    One trip instead of two is a 'huge modification'? No. I'm not saying they'd do MORE cross-licensing, I said it's legally no different. It's the SAME EXACT TWO CONTRACTS they currently have for Just Dance, just done at the SAME TIME, NOT IN TWO DIFFERENT SPANS.

How much more blunt can I be?
    edited June 2012
    But doing it in one "trip" wouldnt change anything. It wouldnt make it any easier and Im guessing that MS has some pull with the DC songs seeing as they have a vested interest in DC but not so much in RB
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762431 said:
    One trip instead of two is a 'huge modification'? No. I'm not saying they'd do MORE cross-licensing, I said it's legally no different. It's the SAME EXACT TWO CONTRACTS they currently have for Just Dance, just done at the SAME TIME, NOT IN TWO DIFFERENT SPANS.

How much more blunt can I be?

You certainly couldn't be more blunt in your lack of understanding of licensing.

Believe it or not, it's very possible that two separate contracts for two separate games is more simple than one contract for two separate games. There's a LOT more than just "hay, can we uze dis pleez?"

(especially since I highly, highly, highly doubt that the DC contract is the "SAME EXACT" thing as the RB contract)
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762433 said:
    It wouldnt make it any easier
    Why wouldn't it? Saves setting up communication a second time. Might save a bit on in-house legal payments if Harmonix can do parallel licensing.

And what exactly are the DOWNSIDES to doing it in one trip since you can't even argue against the single upside I've made?
    atalkingfish;4762435 said:
    You certainly couldn't be more blunt in your lack of understanding of licensing.

Believe it or not, it's very possible that two separate contracts for two separate games is more simple than one contract for two separate games. There's a LOT more than just "hay, can we uze dis pleez?"

(especially since I highly, highly, highly doubt that the DC contract is the "SAME EXACT" thing as the RB contract)
    Do you read? I feel like you should start if you're going to be on a forum.
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762343 said:
    edited June 2012
    It wouldnt make it any easier thus destroying your one "upside"

And if they come across a band that would love to have their song in dc but not rb (or vice versa) what then? oh a whole new contract!
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762437 said:
    Do you read? I feel like you should start if you're going to be on a forum.

First off, how do you know they're not doing it at the same time?
    Secondly, how would that benefit anything?
    Thirdly, it could still be very difficult to discuss two separate contracts at the same time. I don't know, but it very well could be.
    www1221;4762439 said:
    It wouldnt make it any easier thus destroying your one "upside"

Yeah, no kidding, it seems like he just totally changed his "arguing" point because he realized that it was formed out of ignorance on the topic. Now he's fighting to convince us that if HMX did nearly exactly the same thing they do now, everything will be better!!
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762439 said:
    And if they come across a band that would love to have their song in dc but not rb (or vice versa) what then? oh a whole new contract!
    Then they'd say, "Ok, we'll just do that," since I never said there was one contract for both games. One contract per game.
    atalkingfish;4762440 said:
    Secondly, how would that benefit anything?
    Same reason going to the grocery store and buying everything you want at once is easier than going one time for each individual item?

Except instead of going to get groceries, you're paying a team of lawyers.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762441 said:
    Then they'd say, "Ok, we'll just do that," since I never said there was one contract for both games. One contract per game.

psst... that's more or less what they do now...
    edited June 2012
    grumblevolcano;4762442 said:
    What's wrong with Scream (I'm assuming you're talking about the A7X song)?
    Broken disco flip on Pro drums.
    atalkingfish;4762443 said:
    psst... that's more or less what they do now...
    I know. Which is why I said they'd do it at the same time. To which you fought tooth and nail to that being a 'huge modification'. Which is it?
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762441 said:

Same reason going to the grocery store and buying everything you want at once is easier than going one time for each individual item?

Except instead of going to get groceries, you're paying a team of lawyers.

I think you dont even know what you are arguing for anymore
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762446 said:
    I think you dont even know what you are arguing for anymore
    Sure, I do. Harmonix makes one trip for one song in two games, rather than two trips for one song in two games.

If you're going to respond, respond to points, don't try and say I'm the one confused.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762444 said:
    Broken disco flip on Pro drums.

I know. Which is why I said they'd do it at the same time. To which you fought tooth and nail to that being a 'huge modification'. Which is it?

I'd imagine that if a rep from HMX met with a rep from some label on a specific occasion, some labels would definitely not be up for discussing two separate contracts at the same time. Maybe two separate contracts for separate bands, but the contract for DC is very obviously much different than the contract for RB.

Plus, who even knows if these discussions are person-to-person any more.

I'd imagine that if "doing them at the same time" benefitted much of anything, HMX would already be on it. I'd imagine they either already to it or it doesn't benefit anything very much.
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762447 said:
    If you're going to respond, respond to points, don't try and say I'm the one confused.

I don't think anyone thinks you're confused. I think they just think you're confusing them by changing your main points every two posts.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited June 2012
    When it comes to arguments, GNF usually knows what he's talking about.
    edited June 2012
    atalkingfish;4762448 said:
    I'd imagine that if a rep from HMX met with a rep from some label on a specific occasion, some labels would definitely not be up for discussing two separate contracts at the same time.
    Yeah. Which is why, as I already said, Harmonix would say, "Ok."

Wanting it done in one trip doesn't magically make it impossible to do any other way, you know.
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4762451 said:
    Yeah. Which is why, as I already said, Harmonix would say, "Ok."

Wanting it done in one trip doesn't magically make it impossible to do any other way, you know.

So you're saying...

"HMX should do more than one contract per trip, if possible"

...................do you really think that they aren't organized enough to have thought of this already?
    edited June 2012
    Im pretty sure your argument went from cross licencing songs to asking about songs in both games at the same time when you realized that your first point was wrong
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4762453 said:
    Im pretty sure your argument went from cross licencing songs to asking about songs in both games at the same time when you realized that your first point was wrong
    Right, except for my post saying it WOULDN'T be one contract because they're NOT licensed the same way was one of, if not the, first comment I made about it.

You can just go ahead and say you didn't follow what I was saying whenever you're ready.
    atalkingfish;4762452 said:
    ...................do you really think that they aren't organized enough to have thought of this already?
    Apparently not, since you originally said it was a massive change to how they license songs.
This discussion has been closed.