Why can't PS3 ever get any more of the RBN 1 songs it never got?

regomarregomar Unsigned
edited June 2012 in The Rock Band Network
There are a number of songs that were released on the first RBN that were never ported to PS3 that I really want but everyone says they'll never be ported. I'm just curious as to why that is? Many of the same bands have songs on both networks. They're porting RBN2 songs every week, why never any RBN1?

And while I'm on the topic of PS3 getting shafted, why does Sony only allow 5 new songs a week? Seems like they're just turning down money. It's very frustrating to me.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    regomar;4769682 said:
    There are a number of songs that were released on the first RBN that were never ported to PS3 that I really want but everyone says they'll never be ported. I'm just curious as to why that is? Many of the same bands have songs on both networks. They're porting RBN2 songs every week, why never any RBN1?
    Because no RB3 features.
    And while I'm on the topic of PS3 getting shafted, why does Sony only allow 5 new songs a week? Seems like they're just turning down money. It's very frustrating to me.
    Yup, turning down money. The process is totally free for Harmonix and Sony, because since when has a business had to pay to do something?
  • regomarregomar Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4769692 said:
    Because no RB3 features.

Yup, turning down money. The process is totally free for Harmonix and Sony, because since when has a business had to pay to do something?
    Tone down the hostility there chief, it's unnecessary.

I never claimed that anything is free, but I sincerely doubt Microsoft is hosting this content out of the goodness of their hearts so it must be selling and making money for all parties involved.

If Harmonix weren't making money on the PS3, they wouldn't be still releasing content there. They've stated many times that they were capped at 5 songs per week by Sony but I haven't been able to see WHY. Your non answer doesn't help in this regard.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited June 2012
    Dont mind GNF thats kinda his schtick
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    www1221;4769707 said:
    Dont mind GNF thats kinda his schtick

Exactly.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    In short: Porting RBN1 songs is/was a significantly different process from doing RBN2 and required a switchover time. When they started doing 2.0 tracks there was a significant amount of downtime and they can't switch back without having to go through that again, and then AGAIN a third time when they switch back to 2.0.
    edited June 2012
    Oscarvarium;4769757 said:
    In short: Porting RBN1 songs is/was a significantly different process from doing RBN2 and required a switchover time. When they started doing 2.0 tracks there was a significant amount of downtime and they can't switch back without having to go through that again, and then AGAIN a third time when they switch back to 2.0.

Ok, that's fair. Combined with not having RB3 features I guess I know why they won't be porting any more RBN1 stuff.

I still don't understand why they're limited to only 5 songs a week though. Has there ever been an official explanation as to the why of that? I gather that it's Sony's fault, but I haven't been able to find a policy from Sony regarding this issue anywhere. I'm just tired of begging to have tracks Xbox users got half a year ago.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    regomar;4770056 said:
    Ok, that's fair. Combined with not having RB3 features I guess I know why they won't be porting any more RBN1 stuff.

I still don't understand why they're limited to only 5 songs a week though. Has there ever been an official explanation as to the why of that? I gather that it's Sony's fault, but I haven't been able to find a policy from Sony regarding this issue anywhere. I'm just tired of begging to have tracks Xbox users got half a year ago.

Sony need to manually QA every track that's ported and that takes man hours and resources. Sony imposed the 5-song limit, although it was increased to ten for a short time before the RBN2.0 switchover in order to get as many RBN1.0 songs ported as possible before they switched. They also allowed ten songs a while ago when they released a handful of double bass songs but that was a special one-off, and double bass songs presumably require less QA because they're almost entirely identical to the regular tracks.
    edited June 2012
    Oscarvarium;4770079 said:
    Sony need to manually QA every track that's ported and that takes man hours and resources. Sony imposed the 5-song limit, although it was increased to ten for a short time before the RBN2.0 switchover in order to get as many RBN1.0 songs ported as possible before they switched. They also allowed ten songs a while ago when they released a handful of double bass songs but that was a special one-off, and double bass songs presumably require less QA because they're almost entirely identical to the regular tracks.

Thanks, I appreciate your answers :)

I'm a bit surprised that Sony have such a stringent QA check that they're more slow than Microsoft by such a significant margin, but I guess it is what it is. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Guess I'll just have to be content with what I have. If I had an Xbox I'd buy those but I don't so I'm stuck with slow Sony.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited June 2012
    regomar;4770086 said:
    Thanks, I appreciate your answers :)

I'm a bit surprised that Sony have such a stringent QA check that they're more slow than Microsoft by such a significant margin, but I guess it is what it is.
    One pertinent detail: on Xbox, RBN songs don't go through Microsoft QA at all. Instead, they go through the playtest/peer review process on creators.rockband.com. Setting up this system on Xbox was a massive investment by both Microsoft and Harmonix. However, the system has proven out - we've released over 1,800 RBN songs on Xbox!

However, Sony was not involved in the creation of the RBN, and from Sony's perspective, an RBN file is just like any other DLC file. Additionally, when we prepare RBN songs for Sony, those files go through a conversion process that could theoretically introduce errors. This is why Sony checks RBN songs for errors just like regular DLC songs.

For what it's worth, I empathize with your interest in the old RBN1 songs that never got transferred over. However, the transfer from the RBN1 system to the RBN2 system took 3 weeks. Last summer, we estimated that swapping back to RBN1 and then swapping back again to RBN2 would take 2-3 weeks each time, resulting in potential delays of up to 6 weeks for our PS3 audience. These days, it would probably take longer (since the RBN1 system hasn't been touched in over a year).

The best answer here is to reach out to RBN1 authors of songs you love and see whether they're open to doing RBN2 versions that we could theoretically bring to the PS3. However, there would be no guarantees of any given song coming to PS3.
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for the detailed response! That answered pretty much every question I had! I almost wish I could just invest in an Xbox, but with the amount of songs I already have on the PS3 version, it would cost quite a bundle to get everything back on a different platform.

Thanks again!
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited June 2012
    HMXLachesis;4770099 said:
    The best answer here is to reach out to RBN1 authors of songs you love and see whether they're open to doing RBN2 versions that we could theoretically bring to the PS3. However, there would be no guarantees of any given song coming to PS3.

Know what would be interesting? If you could guarantee that RBN2 versions of RBN1 songs would be ported to PS3. Maybe not as a blanket guarantee, but maybe you could work with the authors on a case-by-case basis to let them know that you'll prioritize a song before they invest the time into re-making it... does that make sense? It just seems harsh to expect authors to remake a song to "maybe" be brought to PS3.

Just a thought.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2012
    If there were any tracks that absolutely HAD to be ported to PlayStation 3, they probably would have come over the first time. Ideally, every RBN track ever released would come to PS3 and Wii, but obviously that can't happen.
    edited June 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4770802 said:
    If there were any tracks that absolutely HAD to be ported to PlayStation 3, they probably would have come over the first time. Ideally, every RBN track ever released would come to PS3 and Wii, but obviously that can't happen.
    What HAS to be ported is an entirely subjective matter. Numerous songs at or near the top of my want list are forever abandoned in RBN1. I've also seen others ask for these tracks in the PS3 begging thread.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2012
    I was responding to the post about Harmonix guaranteeing RBN authors that their RB3 versions will get ported, if that wasn't clear. How do they decide which songs to do that for? If they can do that for RBN 1 songs, why not new RBN 2 songs? It sets a bad precedent.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited June 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4771010 said:
    I was responding to the post about Harmonix guaranteeing RBN authors that their RB3 versions will get ported, if that wasn't clear. How do they decide which songs to do that for? If they can do that for RBN 1 songs, why not new RBN 2 songs? It sets a bad precedent.

I agree that it sets a bad precedent. I don't see a situation in which we Officially Promise to port any song in advance.

With that said - there are some reasonable assumptions that can be made based on our past decisions and data available on the leaderboards. It shouldn't be all that hard to make a good guess at the fate of a given RBN1 song if released in the RBN2 era.
  • Prisoner416Prisoner416 Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    It's a shame no one has been able to get MC Frontalot or Freezepop to release 2.0 versions of their songs. Those are the ones I really regret not being able to buy, and they probably would sell very well once on PS3. Has anyone contacted them about the possibility yet?
  • DrilnothDrilnoth Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Personally, I'm fine with RBN 2.0 songs being used rather than RBN 1.0 songs BUT... I think there should be exceptions. This primarily is the case where most of an album is on RBN 2.0 but some songs aren't (see "ZTO", a vital song for the "Ziltoid the Omniscient" album and the only one that's 1.0), but it would also be cool to occasionally get other songs ("Big Bad World One" comes to mind, as it's the only RBN 1.0 song from JoCo not to get transferred to the PS3). I feel like a lot of songs released at the end of RBN 1.0 never really got the chance they deserved.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I know it almost assuredly will not happen, BUT if they ever did release more RBN1.0 on PS3, then I would hope that they would release that last The Main Drag song so we could unlock that goal (as well as another song that would unlock the Yo! RBN Raps goal, but it is still unknown whether that goal could be unlocked by any RBN2.0 songs that might get released).
  • DrilnothDrilnoth Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    ricecake;4774743 said:
    I know it almost assuredly will not happen, BUT if they ever did release more RBN1.0 on PS3, then I would hope that they would release that last The Main Drag song so we could unlock that goal (as well as another song that would unlock the Yo! RBN Raps goal, but it is still unknown whether that goal could be unlocked by any RBN2.0 songs that might get released).

Yes, those too. I forgot about them.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    There are quite a few RBN1 songs that I feel like we really missed out on. At this point, there are more RBN1 songs that I want than there are RBN2. Don't get me wrong, Harmonix did a great job getting a ton of them ported over. I remember the absolutely massive amount of RBN1 content we got following the PSN outtage (and during the switch over to RBN2), and I really appreciate that effort. Although the chances of ever seeing some of those songs come to PS3 are very slim, there are a lot of them we'd all really like to see, if it would ever become possible to do so.

As a PS3 owner, I at least take solace in the fact that our RBN releases are sort of "official" releases. You know, since Harmonix and Sony both have to do the leg-work to get them on our system, as opposed to the fan-made/peer reviewed content seen on Xbox 360. Heck, remember how the Guitar Hero franchise introduced that GHTunes business? Yeah, anyone can release GHTunes tracks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're worth downloading. Also, we generally get the "cream of the crop" songs anyway. It's nice that it saves us some money, and puts that roughly 3,000 song cap a little further down the road for us. Buck up fellow PS3 users, and try to look at things on the bright side...