Before the Universe?

beatlesfan99beatlesfan99 Rising Star
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
First off, I want to say I do not want to provoke any violence or bashing of peoples beliefs this is simply just something I thought of today, and would like to get opinions on it. Also, if it is deemed inappropriate for the board or goes against the rules I will be in complete compliance if it is taken down. Well here it its:

So Stephen Hawking just stole my idea...

Well, not really but it sure feels like it. I was watching a program on the discovery channel (probably premiered weeks ago anyways) where Hawking was explaining his ideas on the creation of the universe. It was mainly based on questioning if a god was necessary for the big bang theory to occur, and subsequently the creation of the universe. Near the middle of the program he mentioned the commonly accepted idea, of space and time being intertwined, and these were both created by the big bang.

That's when I paused the show and started thinking. There is a common question used by theists to disprove the big bang theory by saying "what caused the big bang theory" or "if all the universe was condensed at one point, how did it get there?" This is where my (his) idea comes to play. Going by the assumption that the universe started at one point (a small extremely dense subatomic particle) due to our observations that it is expanding, means that time itself was created as the big bang theory occured.

Now here's a little precursor to the concept. If I am holding a baseball, and I drop it, the cause would be me opening my hand, and the effect would be it falling to the floor. However this kind of rationalization of what just happened, is only due to the way we humans percieve time. Something must have happended before something else happened.

Now lets travel back to before the big bang. All the universe is at one infinitely small and dense point. Well how did that get there? Well thats the point. There doesn't need to be cause, because time hasn't been created. And the only reason we think in this linear pattern of cause and effects is due to our perception of time. Now, this may be hard to accept and understand, because well, we can't understand it!

Trying to rationalize this idea of there not needing to be cause is not contingent with our way of thinking, and cannot be measured or explained by our ways of reason.

I then pressed play, and he explained almost perfectly, exactly what I had just spent 20 minutes thinking about.

tl:dr (but you actually have to read it all to truly understand) The energy of our universe didn't need to be created, and quite frankly couldn't because there was no time for it to happen.

If this is already a pretty commonly known idea, I apologize, as I was not aware of it before today.

Comments

• GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    This is too smart for my feeble homeschooled brain.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    This is the type of stuff that blows peoples' minds.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    beatlesfan99;4772338 said:

That's when I paused the show and started thinking. There is a common question used by theists to disprove the big bang theory by saying "what caused the big bang theory" or "if all the universe was condensed at one point, how did it get there?"

You do realize that it was a catholic priest that gave us the big bang theory don't you?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    GreatJedi7;4772471 said:
    This is too smart for my feeble homeschooled brain.

Don't feel bad... I'm lost too. LOL
  • DAMdudeDAMdude Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    What I believe is starting to become accepted in the scientific community. Before it was kind of pushed aside by everyone, due to the fantasticness of it.

Following "Sting Theory" and the belief and understanding that there are eleven dimensions that make of the universe. It is my belief that our universe is among trillions of trillions of different multiverse. What they all do is use and recycle themselves.

On Earth what we consider as destruction is all a part of creation. Before one can create, they must first destroy. For instance, death will fertilize the ground and bring new life. If you scale this up in the size of our universe, what is one of the most destructive things out there that we don't know hardly anything about? Blackholes. Blackholes consume and destroy everything in their path, and creating in the center of them, MAYBE, a singularity like that of the beginning of our universe.

Basically,
    our universe was created from a massive blackhole of another even larger universe. Thus meaning our universe currently is making smaller universes. And so on, and so on, and so on........
  • edited June 2012
    DAMdude;4773673 said:
    Following "Sting Theory"

The origin of the universe is all a matter of synchronicity too? ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Der_Lex;4773676 said:
    I am just happy Sting Theory won out over Bonology.
    edited June 2012
    Der_Lex;4773676 said:

The origin of the universe is practically understood by now. The real question is how and why. The big bang happened, but what caused it? What was before it?
  • edited June 2012
    DAMdude;4775049 said:
    The origin of the universe is practically understood by now. The real question is how and why. The big bang happened, but what caused it? What was before it?

I'm not sure whether you missed the joke there, or simply chose to ignore it. ;)
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4774099 said:
    I am just happy Sting Theory won out over Bonology.

Where the quarks have no name?
  • edited June 2012
    I can't believe people still theorize about "the big bang theory. We all know matter cannot be created or destroyed, when a black hole consumes it grows in size, my point being with the seeminging infinite amount of matter contained in the universe, how do you contain an infinite amount of matter in one point? So that brings us to string theory, it is thought that the eleven dimensions are like membranes all next to each other like sheets on a clothes line and that one membrane touched another and all the matter here came from a neighboring dimension. More thoughts in my next post.
    edited June 2012
    mercuryshadow09;4777707 said:
    I can't believe people still theorize about "the big bang theory. We all know matter cannot be created or destroyed, when a black hole consumes it grows in size, my point being with the seeminging infinite amount of matter contained in the universe, how do you contain an infinite amount of matter in one point? So that brings us to string theory, it is thought that the eleven dimensions are like membranes all next to each other like sheets on a clothes line and that one membrane touched another and all the matter here came from a neighboring dimension. More thoughts in my next post.

Very similar to what I was saying, though I don't like the idea of our universe being created by two other universes hitting each other and causing a "Big Bang". I think Black Holes, Dark Matter, and Dark Energy all play a much larger role in the creations of multiverses.

Also, scientist can create matter from nothing.