Everyone start buying lots of Led Zeppelin, Queen, R.E.M, and Nirvana albums!

rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

I'm not sure anyone has seen this article yet, but this is just disappointing to me of how modern society has changed.

Comments

• sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited June 2012
  • rocky713rocky713 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    I know that people do. I just die a little inside knowing that Ke$ha has gotten more cash from one song than any of the Beatles' songs combined.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4773898 said:
    The only thing that made me sad was Ke$ha beating every Beatles single.

And about Katy Perry having as many singles as MJ, I prefer the former to the latter. So it's pretty nice for me.

LOL. Katy Perry can't even get on one of MJ's pitches without croaking, i like her but she can't sing.

And people like this music because it's "Cool" to like this music, most of them would never go to their live shows.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Every time I see an article like this I just repeat something I have been saying for years: The most critical people are the most uncreative.

I am not a fan of Creed, Rihanna, Ke$ha, Flo Rida, The Black Eyed Peas, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Katy Perry, Barbra Streisand, Billy Ray Cyru,s Glee, or Justin Bieber.

But there is something that those people/bands have done that the person who wrote this, Dave Stopera hasn't: They made music.

And I respect that. And I honestly don't care if they sell 10 billion albums more than The Beatles, or Pink Floyd.

Because my Beatles and Pink Floyd albums still sounds exactly the same.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    I like Creed because they are actually pretty good outside most of their singles.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited June 2012
    Dangimarocker;4773908 said:
    LOL. Katy Perry can't even get on one of MJ's pitches without croaking, i like her but she can't sing.

And people like this music because it's "Cool" to like this music, most of them would never go to their live shows.
    *shrugs*
    I'm not going to be delusional and say that she's more influential or more talented than MJ, but I prefer her work over his.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4773914 said:
    *shrugs*
    I'm not going to be delusional and say that she's more influential or more talented than MJ, but I prefer her work over his.

I don't like either of them :p
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited June 2012
    As previously mentioned, popular music has never been more accessible to the masses than it is right now. And that author is trying to spin that as a bad thing. Poor journalism.
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4773914 said:
    *shrugs*

Her studio (edited vocals) work isn't god awful like most of todays pop artist and she does try to be creative in some aspects (before LAdy gaga and Nicki Minaj).
    But like you said she's neither more influential or more taleneted than MJ.
    edited June 2012
    BohemianMatt;4773918 said:
    As previously mentioned, popular music has never been more accessible to the masses than it is right now. And that author is trying to spin that as a bad thing. Poor journalism.

Disagree, he's 100% right.
    You'd rather buy A Justin Bieber discology over Zeppelin or Queen?
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Dangimarocker;4773923 said:

You'd rather by X over Y because I like X better??!?!?!?
    edited June 2012

/facepalm

Matt's point is that those kids that like Beiber and Ke$ha today probably would have liked Queen and Zeppelin just fine if they were kids at that time. Kids are, well, sorta stupid. They like what they're told to like. We all did when we were kids. (Just admit it) The reason popular music sells better now is that instead of having to schlep down to the record store (such things barely even exist anymore), you can get your fix of popular music with a couple of mouse clicks or tablet taps or whatever else you do on these newfangled devices.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Makes me wonder if The Bieber has a beaver.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited June 2012

Swing and a miss. Try reading this time.
    edited June 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4773927 said:
    /facepalm

Matt's point is that those kids that like Beiber and Ke$ha today probably would have liked Queen and Zeppelin just fine if they were kids at that time. Kids are, well, sorta stupid. They like what they're told to like. We all did when we were kids. (Just admit it) The reason popular music sells better now is that instead of having to schlep down to the record store (such things barely even exist anymore), you can get your fix of popular music with a couple of mouse clicks or tablet taps or whatever else you do on these newfangled devices.

Okay sorry i misunderstood :)
    Oh so true though about record stores, i'll admit i like 90s pop as a 8 year old LOl.
    edited June 2012
    sillystou;4773929 said:
    makes me wonder if the bieber has a beaver.

lmao.
    edited June 2012

No, but internet music purchasing has become so embedded in the world that people, even young children, especially young children, can buy music online and listen to it. So the numbers for more popular/recent artists (especially those targeted towards children, i.e. Katy Perry and Bieber) are going to skyrocket, and older artists, no matter how much "better" they are, will fall by the wayside.

Newer artists will always sell more than older artists; it's true in every example he gives, and it's reasonable. I don't like it either, but I am satisfied knowing that the older music he lists will maintain better than most, if not all, of the newer artists he mentioned.
    edited June 2012
    Not to mention he doesn't say if it's adjusted for inflation. If The Beatles made $1,000 playing a show or something and Katy Perry made $10,000....The Beatles made more money.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2012
    The Archies had four top 40 hits. The Jimi Hendrix Experience had one.
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, 1969 was a weird year for the charts. '69 had some great classic rock songs that have undoubtedly stood the test of time, yet the year-end #1 was this.

*shudder*
    edited June 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4773950 said:
    Yeah, 1969 was a weird year for the charts. '69 had some great classic rock songs that have undoubtedly stood the test of time, yet the year-end #1 was this.

*shudder*
    classic
    edited June 2012
    Bit of trivia: It's former President George W. Bush's favorite song.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2012
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited June 2012
    Just because something is charting massively doesn't mean it's going to be remembered.

The Jonas Brothers were practically non-existent already. Plus as mentioned earlier, who the hell remembers The Archies?
    edited June 2012
    George W. Bush once wanted to play Springsteen's "Born in the USA" at one of his speeches. Apparently, one of his aids suggested he read the lyrics first and realize what the song was actually about.
    edited June 2012
    BohemianMatt;4773966 said:
    George W. Bush once wanted to play Springsteen's "Born in the USA" at one of his speeches. Apparently, one of his aids suggested he read the lyrics first and realize what the song was actually about.

Heh...well, that one's not just on Bush. Tons of people are oblivious to what that song's really about.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited June 2012
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4773975 said:
    I don't get it.

Shocking.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2012
    FlyGuyLXI;4773964 said:
    Just because something is charting massively doesn't mean it's going to be remembered.

The Jonas Brothers were practically non-existent already. Plus as mentioned earlier, who the hell remembers The Archies?
    People who listen to the oldies station. Half the time I end up there because radio is so bad. And the good songs they play over and over and over and over again. I need to fix my cd player.
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4773975 said:
    I don't get it.

Here Cipher (so you can easily read this)
    From the Wikipedia page, i've never liked Springsteen so i had no clue either... since i've heard the song like once.

"Born in the U.S.A." is a 1984 song written and performed by Bruce Springsteen. Taken from the album of the same name, it is one of his best-known singles. Rolling Stone ranked the song 275th on their list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". In 2001, the RIAA's Songs of the Century placed the song 59th (out of 365). Lyrically, the song deals with the effects of the Vietnam War on Americans, although it is often misinterpreted as a patriotic or nationalistic anthem.