6/19 DLC Discussion: Angels & Airwaves, Owl City, and Queens of the Stone Age singles

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited June 2012 in Rock Band
hmxhenry;4773933 said:
On June 19th, Angels & Airwaves’ “The Adventure,” the lead single off of 2006’s We Don’t Whisper lands on the Rock Band Music Store. It’s joined by Owl City, who makes their debut in Rock Band with their hit single “Fireflies,” from 2009’s Ocean Eyes. Finally, Queens of the Stone Age make their rocking return to Rock Band with “In My Head,” the second single from 2005’s Lullabies to Paralyze!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (June 19th, 2012):

• Angels & Airwaves – “The Adventure” O
• Owl City – “Fireflies” O
• Queens of the Stone Age – “In My Head” O X

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system June 20th)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (80 Microsoft Points™, 100 Wii Points™) per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **
hmxhenry;4778447 said:
Here are the Rock Band Network tracks that hit Xbox 360 on Thursday, 6/14/2012:

Metal

Anarchy Club – “Collide” (160 MSP)
Asking Alexandria – “Reckless & Relentless (2x Bass Pedal)” (160 MSP)
Chaotrope – “The Hourglass Paroxysm – Part II” (160 MSP)

Prog

An Endless Sporadic – “Anything” (80 MSP)

Punk

SIMPL3JACK – “At War With the Cherubs” (80 MSP)

And here are the PS3 RBN Releases for Tuesday, 6/19/2012 (North America) and 6/20/2012 (Europe):

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus – “Reap (Radio Edit)” ($0.99) – Rock
Less Than Jake – “Goodbye, Mr. Personality” ($1.99) – Reggae/Ska
Seven Day Sonnet – “Farewell to Good Days” ($1.99) – Rock
Amberian Dawn – “Field of Serpents” ($1.99) – Metal
Amberian Dawn – “Ghostly Echoes” ($1.99) – Metal

Discuss!

Comments

• ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2012
    MourganDespana;4779920 said:
    I refrain from agreeing with you as I promise myself not to complain about dlc.

Would have been better to add Make It Wit Chu for those keys and harmonies
  • edited June 2012
    AvA and Owl City are alright. We've had all the QotSA I'd ever want since RB3 came out but I will still give it a listen.
  • Moist_NipplesMoist_Nipples Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    Tykki-Teme;4779918 said:
    And Angels & Airwaves too. They're in the top 10 requested artists in the Dashboard, and they get one song only? Huh.

I concur! Even more so that it's their most popular song, and not saved for Blitz?

Hoping for more recent AVA material in the future.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    samjjones;4779936 said:
    We need a classic-rock support group sub-forum. I haven't bought DLC in months...which is super long for me.

Is there going to be an "official" classic rock track released before Blitz? Can somebody at HMX throw us a bone?

Or is this going to be an endless summer for me?

in a word... yes.
  • jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    Getting all of it. This week is actually really good.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited June 2012
    RockBandRocker;4779937 said:
    Well this is disappointing for people hoping that Queens Of The Stone Age would be getting a pack.
    i'm pretty sure it's also disappointing for people who wanted A&A to get a pack or Owl City :p
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited June 2012
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2012
    peterike;4779931 said:
    Playing the preview video, it sounds like a commercial for a bad romantic comedy. I kept expecting Cameron Diaz to show up. Oh well, another week, another zilch for me.
    LOL... yeah, that is how I felt, but wasn't able to put into words.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Thank you HMX for your continued support of RB. Though nothing interests me this week, I will be purchasing some DLC that has been on my "do want" list. Seems like a good week to pick up some David Bowie.
    edited June 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4779943 said:
    Would have been better to add Make It Wit Chu for those keys and harmonies

Not complaining one bit about that, maybe it's in RB:Blitz...

I am leaving that where my hopes at right now. Really been stretching to find songs to buy.

And my tastes are very wide.

But, the songs I like lately, I REALLY like. So not complaining, just confused.
  • johnnyboybladejohnnyboyblade Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Wow this is disappointing for me on multiple levels, I mean besides not really liking the week, Qotsa only ended up getting a single when I guess I assumed they'd get a pack. Not harmonix's fault I got my hopes up I guess. Suppose I should assume the absolute least so I can be pleasantly surprised!
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    And the streak of buying songs continues. In My Head is a definite, although I wish we had more QotSA. The Adventure is a maybe, and never heard Fireflies, so I'll withhold judgement on that one for now.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I'll peer at the chart for Fireflies, but it likely lands in my top 5 non-IronMaiden tracks for the year to date.
  • bengalcp09bengalcp09 Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    I bought every HMX song from rb1 until May 2012. Haven't been excited for a song since Alone by Heart in February. This has made me no longer buy tracks for the collection because there hasn't been anything I've wanted to balance out what seems like scads of "modern radio music." It's kind of sad for me to not look forward to announcements any more and the "band" hasn't gotten together to jam one time this year because there are no songs pulling us together that we haven't played a ton of times.

Like 6 straight up classic rock songs this year and CCR is love em or hate em. I get it's my fault I'm in the latter. It's not like a metal fan that can get a bit if a fix on RBN. It's not like the Who are coming there any time soon.

End of whining.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2012
    jibjqrkl;4779948 said:
    i'm pretty sure it's also disappointing for people who wanted A&A to get a pack or Owl City :p

Yeah, but when HMX usually announces a band ahead of time, it's for a pack and not a single.

Guess I need to tone back on hoping for a B-52's pack...
  • Shaun222Shaun222 Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    I'll get Fireflies but each week I keep repeating "Classic rock is coming, classic rock is coming" to keep my spirits up. The last song we got that falls into that category is "Two Tickets To Paradise" right? One of the reasons I got Rock Band was because of the great variety of DLC. Surprises every week

Just hoping there's some good classic stuff in the pipeline. C'mon, just a *wink* or a *nod* will do.
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    More proof 99.9 percent of music in the past 15 years is garbage.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    i recognized and liked the Owl City song (sounds a bit like Postal Service to me) so i'll be picking it up.

QOTSA, i'll have to wait on checking out the charts.

no interest in angels or airwaves.

best song of the week is the LTJ song coming to PSN. so i'll be getting two songs this week. that's twice as many as last week!
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Well, after listening to all three, it's not that bad of a week. Fireflies is really cool, and In My Head is good, too. A&A is one of those very few bands who's singer has such an annoying voice that hearing it makes me want to punch something.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited June 2012
    Time to go back to doing first impressions on multiple songs! Awesome! :D

6/19 Singles First Impressions

Let's start from the top, as in my most favoritest named song this week which is... The Adventure! Wooooooo!
    I've heard Angels and Airwaves are highly requested, so I have high hopes!
    It starts off nice and mellow, which is pretty coolio if you ask me. It gradually picks up in awesomeness and interest and then BAM! Hey, it's actually pretty decent! The instruments are interesting and the vocals are nice. Kind of reminds me of Blink-182 (the vocalist, mainly), but the instruments aren't as forceful as them. The bass is really interesting and the song's instruments as a whole work really well together to make an interesting composition. The song does a decent enough job to freshen things up every now and then, which is nice, and it definitely deserves a spot in the "will buy" list. The question is going to be "when?"
    So I'm not disappointed. Hopefully the QotSA song will impress also!

In My HEAD!
    Starts off with some standard guitar, the hook isn't as interesting as The Adventuer, however. The riff actually reminds me of Monkey Wrench, which isn't a compliment, because I don't like Monkey Wrench. The riff continues to not change much, which is disappointing, as the previous song managed to be fresh and not drag on like this song is doing at the moment. The vocals are ok, nothing too amazing but it isn't that offensive. Nowhere near as good as 3s and 7s and maybe as good as No One Knows? I have no idea, I find No One Knows catchy but I don't really like it that much. The song's drums sound pretty interesting and what are the vocals doing right now. They don't sound bad, but they can't really do the ba ba ba ba ba ba thing really well. It's not a bad song, but I'm not jumping at the chance to get it.

Last but not least... Fireflies!
    I've listened to this song several times, but I should still right my thoughts on it!
    The song is... well, it's catchy. That's the extent to my enjoyment of it. It has the same "are you trying to pull a fast one on me" feeling that Get The Party Started, Bruno Mars, etc give on me. The vocals are ok, in fact the whole song reeks of ok. The keys I imagine would be a lot of fun, though. Just... Argh, the whole suspicion of being taken advantage of just ruins the song for me. Not that it needs that much help, because the song is pretty ok on its own merits. Even though I find it ok, I'm still going to buy it, because it has sentimental value to me (It was the focus of the first conversation that made me and my ex's ex cool with each other) and because it'll be fun on keys and be played lots in parties. So like... hooray, I think :p

Overall this week was... ok! It wasn't too bad, but wasn't that fantastic, but that never hurt nobody. I would think that this singles week is the middle ground for singles week, as the singles weeks this year were either amazing or awful. So having some balance is good.

In the grand scheme of things this week is definitely above the P!nk week and most likely above the Huey Lewis week for me. So about the middle to high up second half of this year.

This week in terms of songs:
    The Adventure
    Fireflies
    In My Head
  • KemirochKemiroch Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    I feel like I shouldn't post at all but, gotta get that title changed somehow...

I listened to all the songs like I try to every week. They're not bad, but none of them are familiar and none of them really grab me. I guess it's a bye week for me, then.

Thanks for supporting the platform, HMX.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4779976 said:
    Kind of reminds me of Blink-182 (the vocalist, mainly)

Because he is from Blink-182.
  • Pime_Taradox234Pime_Taradox234 Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    YES! YES! YES! *points fingers up in the air and hops down to the ring*

In My Head! My favorite QotSA song! Thanks HMX, definitely picking that one up. And it has keys? Interesting.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    HMX needs to end June with a bang on the 26th DLC or (and I think I am not alone) June 2012 will take over WORST MONTH OF DLC EVERRRRRRRRR
    edited June 2012
    bengalcp09;4779964 said:
    I bought every HMX song from rb1 until May 2012. Haven't been excited for a song since Alone by Heart in February. This has made me no longer buy tracks for the collection because there hasn't been anything I've wanted to balance out what seems like scads of "modern radio music." It's kind of sad for me to not look forward to announcements any more and the "band" hasn't gotten together to jam one time this year because there are no songs pulling us together that we haven't played a ton of times.

Like 6 straight up classic rock songs this year and CCR is love em or hate em. I get it's my fault I'm in the latter. It's not like a metal fan that can get a bit if a fix on RBN. It's not like the Who are coming there any time soon.

End of whining.

I've bought all DLC, including RBN, and what have I got to show for it? Not a damn thing. I can relate, but it's pointless to try b*tching /:
    edited June 2012
    Pime_Taradox234;4779982 said:

In My Head! My favorite QotSA song! Thanks HMX, definitely picking that one up. And it has keys? Interesting.
    Do It Right!
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Tykki-Teme;4779918 said:
    Weird that QotSA only got a single. I'd have thought they'd get a pack.

I told you, Qotsa getting one song, and Daughtry getting 3. That's how these thing works.

AVA is cool, and Fireflies is goin' to be huge on keys.

Also, prepare yourselves: I'm working on In My Head with my REAL band and I have to say...

DAT HARMONIES.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Pime_Taradox234;4779982 said:

That made me lol.
    edited June 2012
    RockBandRocker;4779965 said:
    Yeah, but when HMX usually announces a band ahead of time, it's for a pack and not a single.

Guess I need to tone back on hoping for a B-52's pack...

SOAD, Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold would like a word with you
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited June 2012

(@In My Head) The riff actually reminds me of Monkey Wrench,

Wat
  • edited June 2012
    Time to go back to doing first impressions on multiple songs! Awesome! :D

6/19 Singles First Impressions

Let's start from the top, as in my most favoritest named song this week which is... The Adventure! Wooooooo!
    I've heard Angels and Airwaves are highly requested, so I have high hopes!
    It starts off nice and mellow, which is pretty coolio if you ask me. It gradually picks up in awesomeness and interest and then BAM! Hey, it's actually pretty decent! The instruments are interesting and the vocals are nice. Kind of reminds me of Blink-182 (the vocalist, mainly), but the instruments aren't as forceful as them. The bass is really interesting and the song's instruments as a whole work really well together to make an interesting composition. The song does a decent enough job to freshen things up every now and then, which is nice, and it definitely deserves a spot in the "will buy" list. The question is going to be "when?"
    So I'm not disappointed. Hopefully the QotSA song will impress also!

You think the Angels and Airwaves vocals sound like Blink 182? I don't hear it?
    sarcasm is fun.