Electrical fire yesterday

GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
edited June 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
So yesterday, I went to Cedar Point with my youth group. When we got back to the church for my parents to pick me and my sister up, they told us that there was an electrical fire at our house, and that it will be unlivable through summer.

We were having our kitchen redone, and the electrician had just installed new light fixtures and went to flip the breakers for the whole house back on so we could test out the lights.

Well when that happened, there was an uncapped wire in my parent's closet that we weren't aware of that was unused after the washer and dryer were moved into the basement.

So when the breaker for the closet was turned back on for the first time in a few months, it sparked and started a fire in the closet, which went unnoticed until my little brother came back from the upstairs bathroom and reported smoke.

So 911 was dialed and every one was evacuated, and according to my parents we had about six fire trucks, two sets of paramedics, and about four cars worth of police officers, and our entire street was blocked off.

Thankfully, no one was injured, but the closet and everything in it was completely burned up, and the firefighters sprayed down the attic just in case, so combined with a smoky smell in the whole house, there are black water streaks down every wall upstairs and everything is covered with a layer of soot.

Thankfully, insurance is washing and/or replacing everything that was upstairs, and has also payed for all of our living expenses and repairs for the house, as well as providing us with a hotel room while they search for a temporary house for us to live in for the summer.

So other than that, daily life carries on, computers, the Xbox, the wii, and my bro's PS3 are moving into the new home when the time comes, and as I'm typing this the insurance people are working on getting the house back to normal.

Well, sorry for the wall of text, but I just had to get all this off my mind. Thanks.

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited June 2012
    sucks to hear this :(

hope this all won't take too long
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited June 2012
    Hang in there, Jedi. :)
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited June 2012
    I'm just glad everyone's all right.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2012
    Sucks to hear that kind of thing man.
  • edited June 2012
    Damn another one. That really sucks Jedi but at least everyone is okay.
  • boodeanboodean Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to hear that at least it was not the whole house and you would have to replace everything good luck with everything and stay strong you and your family will make it if you stick together!!!!!!!!!!
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for all your support guys. It really does mean a lot :)

As it turns out, the entire second floor is considered a loss, which means everything up there is being replaced, so yup. And we'll be in a hotel until July 2nd, then the insurance company is putting us into a house hopefully in the area, so once that happens we can move the Xbox, wii, drums, etc. into the new house, so that's good I suppose.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Sorry for your loss....fires suk. Hang in there Jedi.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Did an army of public adjusters inundate you like they did me?

Whatever you do don't hire any public adjuster that falls out of a tree and knocks on your door. The "hungry" ones are either new or desperate or both. Make sure that you get someone highly recommended by a relative or friend. If no one knows one then shop for one yourself. Angie's list might actually have some.

Good luck I know exactly what you're going through.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Totally didn't see this, but my thoughts are with your family at this time of recovery. Greatful you didn't lose everything though.
    edited June 2012
    rkbdgurl;4787005 said:
    Sorry for your loss....fires suk. Hang in there Jedi.
    skyp1e;4793293 said:
    Did an army of public adjusters inundate you like they did me?

Whatever you do don't hire any public adjuster that falls out of a tree and knocks on your door. The "hungry" ones are either new or desperate or both. Make sure that you get someone highly recommended by a relative or friend. If no one knows one then shop for one yourself. Angie's list might actually have some.

Good luck I know exactly what you're going through.

Thanks for your help, Sky! We were able to find an adjuster fairly quickly, and they were recommended by a lot of different people in our area, so it's all good.
    Dangimarocker;4793361 said:
    Totally didn't see this, but my thoughts are with your family at this time of recovery. Greatful you didn't lose everything though.

Thanks Rocker :)

Well, quick update: We've been moved into a rental home about 3 minutes from our actual home, and the second floor is now completely torn down to the studs, and we have the insurance companies for us, and the two groups of electricians crawling all over our home. Sooo yeah.

Otherwise, things are great and they're actually trying to get us into our house within 60 days, so that'll be good if they can pull that off safely.

Thanks for all the support everyone!
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    GreatJedi7;4799294 said:

Thanks for your help, Sky! We were able to find an adjuster fairly quickly, and they were recommended by a lot of different people in our area, so it's all good.

Thanks Rocker :)

Well, quick update: We've been moved into a rental home about 3 minutes from our actual home, and the second floor is now completely torn down to the studs, and we have the insurance companies for us, and the two groups of electricians crawling all over our home. Sooo yeah.

Otherwise, things are great and they're actually trying to get us into our house within 60 days, so that'll be good if they can pull that off safely.

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I'm posting this from my own rental home after my fire. No actual labor has been done at our house yet. Still working out the details with our insurance company on that. Meanwhile I'm purchasing the things that we NEED now (like microwave, TV, mattresses) and renting the things that we'll be getting when we move back in. All paid for by the insurance so far.

Hope things go smoothly for both of us.
    edited June 2012
    skyp1e;4799516 said:
    I'm posting this from my own rental home after my fire. No actual labor has been done at our house yet. Still working out the details with our insurance company on that. Meanwhile I'm purchasing the things that we NEED now (like microwave, TV, mattresses) and renting the things that we'll be getting when we move back in. All paid for by the insurance so far.

Hope things go smoothly for both of us.

Indeed.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    I love seeing forum members work through tragedies. This is why we are one big family! <3
    edited June 2012
    Dangimarocker;4800382 said:
    I love seeing forum members work through tragedies. This is why we are one big family! <3</div>

I agree! I really do love this community a lot. Very supportive. :)