DLC Discussion Week of 6/26 - Carrie Underwood 3 Pack!

Comments

• TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
  • GCrackerGCracker Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    As I always say, it's called "Rock Band" and not "Country Band" for a reason...
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4790532 said:
    So like, I can imagine that this announcement will bring in a bunch of negativity, so I'll TRY to be positive. Because being positive and openminded is the new hatred and closeminded. I think.

Anyway, here goes...

Carrie Underwood Pack 01 First Impressions

So I'll listen to Before He Cheats because it's the least terrible name of the songs that are in the pack.
    Starts off kinda... I dunno. It doesn't sound really interesti- >_____________________>
    So much for trying to be positive! Her voice is just... Ugh! Totally dislike her voice. And then of course the obligatory truck lyrics reference. The harmonies work, but I just can't pay keep up because her vocals are taking way too much spotlight and the lyrics and vocals are just... bad. Really bad. The instruments are ok, but they don't really sound interesting enough to keep the song afloat. And the lyrics just get more and more embarassing to listen to ;_;
    Can't say the pack got off on a good start, which is unfortunate because I wanted to look for the silver lining or something.

Good Girl is next!
    Starts off with a guitar intro that's shockingly interesting. And hey look they have a nice Private Eyes clapping segment. PRIVAAAAAATE EYES. THEY WATCHING YOU. PRIVATE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYES. Anyway, this song is a lot better than Before He Cheats. The vocals are a lot more engaging to listen to and has a nice variety to make it really interesting to listen to. And hey look, the song actually has some "heavier" parts to make the lighter parts more meaningful. Juxtaposition! It's not great, but it's pretty good. It's not probably going to be bought, but at least it has something keeping it from the bottom of the year in DLC. And is that a guitar solo? And after it, it's an instrument break! That's what I like hearing in songs. +10 Carrie Underwood.

And now for Cowboy Casanova.
    Ugh... I hate anything to do with cowboys at all. Least favorite trope of characters. Anyway, here's the song!
    Starts off with a pretty uninteresting drum beat and then gets to harmonies that are pretty... ehh.
    And she went back to the terrible vocals. Actually, they aren't as bad as Before He Cheats. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it/standards are decreasing?!??!?!!? ;_;
    Yeah, her vocals for some reason change volume mid sentence which is distracting. The harmony chants don't work well at all, but at least they try to make the song interesting. But it's a shame where her vocals are taking the stage when she really can't sing well at all. Yeah, there's not as much variety in the vocals, especially considering the amount of spotlight it takes up. If you're going to focus on one aspect of a song, try to shake it up throughout the song because if you don't it starts to drag!

This week overall...
    It was bad. Pretty bad. But it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, especially considering I actually liked one of the songs. I really dislike her voice and think that the vocals take up too much of the spotlight when I would imagine that people would want to make her voice in the background and focus on the instruments. Oh well.

In the grand scheme of things, it's better than the Men At Work/Santana week for sure. The exact placement of this week is still a bit iffy for me, but alright.

This week in terms of songs:
    Good Girl
    Cowboy Casanova
    Before He Cheats

no way this is better than Santana/Men At Work week
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited June 2012
    Lowlander2;4790533 said:
    You're a big fat liar.

Yeah, I am. You should see the morons on my Facebook. I get eye-strain.

And I know I have crappy taste in music, but even BAD songs by Linkin Park would be great about now. This week doesn't even belong in RBN.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Alright week, should be somewhat interesting.

Hopefully watching the whiners should be entertaining enough to get me through my morning.
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4790537 said:
    You know, that's what I've been praying for all these weeks, and haven't got lucky at all. I miss waking up to last summer's DLC. I remember those doggone amazing singles weeks we got throughout last summer... *sigh*

I do too man, it seems like forever since we've gotten something older. Eddie Money I believe and that was almost two months ago. 2012 DLC has been very underwhelming...
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2012
    'Kay HMX, you've taken care of my most wanted song from one of the few AI winners to make something of themselves with "Before He Cheats" this week.

Now, all you have to do is get Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes" in Rock Band and I'm all set. Unless the Daughtry pack has material from his first, only good album, that is.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4790464 said:
    I've heard of her before!
    As I predicted.

* takes a bow *

I'll have to poll my band members to see if I'm buying only one song or the whole pack. This should sell pretty well.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited June 2012
    Y'all sound like an Underoath song

OH GOD THE TWAAAAAAANG, THIS RINGING IN MY EEEEEEARS
    IS SO UNCLEAR, SO UNCLEEEEEEEEEAR
    I hear them talking, but can't make out the words
    Speak up, Speak clear
    Speak up, Speak clear
  • BeebBeeb Banned
    edited June 2012
    Bulzeeb;4790536 said:
    Radiohead yes.

FOB, eh we have their best already

M___, could care less

We don't have the best FOB. I Don't Care was the only song from the best album, and it's not even that good of a song. What about 20 Dollar Nose Bleed or What a Catch, Donnie or America's Suitehearts or Pavlove or Headfirst Slide in to Coopertown on a Bad Bet? All of those songs have amazing vox and keyboard parts but NOPE MOAR COUNTRY PACK #23!
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    rsm790;4790521 said:
    Couldnt be much worse

The impending doom that is Daughtry Pack 01

Atleast with Underwood we get some variety, with Daughtry we may as well be getting more Nickelback..
  • RockBandand24FanaticRockBandand24Fanatic Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    HeyRiles;4790547 said:
    Y'all sound like an Underoath song

OH GOD THE TWAAAAAAANG, THIS RINGING IN MY EEEEEEARS
    IS SO UNCLEAR, SO UNCLEEEEEEEEEAR
    Speak up, Speak clear
    Speak up, Speak clear

Speaking of which, I would love more Underoath in Rock Band
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    Hairlooksgreat;4790505 said:
    I'll be adding to my DLC library by picking up some more Rush.

Wish I could say the same :| Wait...why can you say that? Shame! :p
  • PurplestratPurplestrat Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    It's a good move for HMX. I hope they take the money they get from this pack and go get us some good music.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited June 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4790551 said:
    Wish I could say the same :| Wait...why can you say that? Shame! :p

He has the hook up and next week's DLC is going to be Clockwork Angels
  • razzorrrazzorr Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    Ouch again for over a month Pass.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited June 2012
    peterock2007;4790543 said:
    Alright week, should be somewhat interesting.

Hopefully watching the whiners should be entertaining enough to get me through my morning.
    It won't be as fun as me watching people go all meta in an attempt to go against the grain.
  • Dr. ParaDr. Para Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    RockBandRocker;4790545 said:
    Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes"
    I like you!

Anyway, The hilariousness of this countering all the Daughtry horror that was being thrown around makes me giggle in some sort of stupid way.

Anyway, will grab "Before He Cheats," for the "wife," because I could imagine her belting that out when we get her drunk. So my streak of buying at least 1 song a week continues onward.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    And on the RBN side - more Rose of Jericho and Amberian Dawn - two of my favorite RBN artists. That was really nifty to see.
  • KemirochKemiroch Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    I've never really been a country fan, but I like the odd song here and there. I bought the entire country track pack 2 just for Ring of Fire and found a gem or two.

I'll listen to the songs before I decide whether or not to buy, which I think is reasonable. No guarantees.
  • MycoolMycool Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Congrats HMX, even though you were a couple of months late, this is definitely a way better April fools prank than that stupid board game trailer. And the fact that you waited until almost July really caught us all off guard, nice form!

So what's the real ROCK announcement for all of us thousands of loyal ROCK fans waiting to play more ROCK music in our all-time favorite ROCK game titled ROCK BAND? There's no way a company can actually be this out of touch with their core customer base right?
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    That's not how you spell Black Sabbath 6 Pack.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited June 2012
    rsm790;4790541 said:
    no way this is better than Santana/Men At Work week
    Santana/Men At Work Week is my 3rd least favorite week this year.

And Radiohead isn't happening guys, so stop demanding them with such entitlement.
    GCracker;4790540 said:
    As I always say, it's called "Rock Band" and not "Country Band" for a reason...
    Mycool;4790560 said:
    Congrats HMX, even though you were a couple of months late, this is definitely a way better April fools prank than that stupid board game trailer. And the fact that you waited until almost July really caught us all off guard, nice form!

So what's the real ROCK announcement for all of us thousands of loyal ROCK fans waiting to play more ROCK music in our all-time favorite ROCK game titled ROCK BAND? There's no way a company can actually be this out of touch with their core customer base right?

I could never grasp why people say this.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    RockBandand24Fanatic;4790544 said:
    I do too man, it seems like forever since we've gotten something older. Eddie Money I believe and that was almost two months ago. 2012 DLC has been very underwhelming...

Well, we did get Power and the Passion and that was from the 80s, that was a few weeks ago. I bought that since it's the closest to Beds are Burning I'll get, since I'm suspecting it'll be in Blitz and I'm a Wii user so I can't buy Blitz. Seriously, releasing a Midnight Oil song that's not Beds are Burning makes you a bit suspicious.

But yeah, some of the stuff this year has been complete crap. I'm disappointed.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Mycool;4790560 said:

Haven't read that one before! Seriously Country is just as rock as most ROCK artist in terms of actually having a guitar solo and not playing a single chord the entire song (Looking at you modern radio "Rock")
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    What a lackluster month June has been this year.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Beeb;4790530 said:
    Wow, brilliant. It's rare that I actually roll my eyes at something that happened on the internet.

[...]

It's bad enough when it's just METUL METUL METUL HURR every week, but this is just terrible. The only song I'm gonna buy in the last 3 months is Owl City

Seriously, doesn't everyone want stuff like Muse (Even though I HATE Muse it would just be nice to see them finally ffs) or Radiohead, or more Fall Out Boy, just something, just SOMETHING MAYBE that isn't dire ****e.
    Carrie Underwood, Angels and Airwaves, Owl City, Florence + the Machine, Incubus, and Paramore = METUL METUL METUL!

You really think that yet another Fall Out Boy pack is going to go over better than anything else?
    Mycool;4790560 said:
    Modern country is just pop-rock with maybe a banjo or steel guitar in the background.
  • slipkid69slipkid69 Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    Man the DLC has just been terrible as of late. I think the well has run dry!
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Mycool;4790560 said:

YEAH IT'S CALLED ROCK BAND YOU DUMBASS! WHY DO WE HAVE PEARL JAM OR BTBAM OR TRIVIUM?

"I love opening acts, they contribute oh so much"
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Opinion time,
    Casanova Cowboy is a terrible choice, one of her worse.
    Before He Cheats is one of her best

And good girl is meh too.

Not the greatest choices but still a nice addition for country fans (Im no country fan but the whining on this forum is worse than a daycare)