What band-centric title should Harmonix make next?

Stark3yStark3y Unsigned
edited July 2012 in Rock Band
I'd really like to see Pink Floyd Rockband on the market, anyone have other ideas? :confused:

Comments

• CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Taking away the party pooping fact that it will probably never happen again due to financial reasons, I'll answer the question anyway.

Genesis. I love the entire discography (even the live stuff), so they couldn't go wrong with the song selections for me.

Economically viable? Surely not. Still, I can dream.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Okay, never going to happen, but I'll throw one in just for fun...

Meatloaf: Rock Band. It would feature all three Bat Out Of Hell albums, plus a select few singles sprinkled in from his less successful '80's offerings. Think about it: Great keys and harmonies. Pro guitar and bass for each track just because. Then, in the background, it will pretty much be Meatloaf riding a motorcycle and breaking through brick walls while singing...on every song...
    You know you'd buy it!
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    CONAN9845;4797438 said:
    Taking away the party pooping fact that it will probably never happen again due to financial reasons, I'll answer the question anyway.

Genesis. I love the entire discography (even the live stuff), so they couldn't go wrong with the song selections for me.

Economically viable? Surely not. Still, I can dream.

I like Conan's suggestion...even though I'm not a fan of band specific games (and agree that the time has passed for those type of games).
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2012
    grimripper82;4797445 said:
    Meatloaf: Rock Band. It would feature all three Bat Out Of Hell albums, plus a select few singles sprinkled in from his less successful '80's offerings. Think about it: Great keys and harmonies. Pro guitar and bass for each track just because. Then, in the background, it will pretty much be Meatloaf riding a motorcycle and breaking through brick walls while singing...on every song...
    You know you'd buy it!
    Yeah... every song Jim Steinman wrote for MeatLoaf on the disc... That would be great!
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Every time somebody suggests a Pink Floyd Rock Band game, I ask myself: "Self, do you think this person has stopped to consider the indisputable fact that many of Pink Floyd's songs would be incredibly boring to play on the Rock Band platform?" And then I answer: "No. No, I do not."
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited June 2012
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Signs point to no for another band game. I feel there are only a few untapped bands that could pull it off, if they ever made another; Led Zeppelin, U2, and possibly The Eagles.

But, since we're going off the deep end here, I'll cast my vote for Bad Religion: Rock Band and Muse Rock Band.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    there will never ever ever be another band-centric Rock Band game.

but if there was, my vote would go to RB: Radiohead
    2nd place to RB: U2

of course the usual suspects (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin) would be instabuys too, but have more obstacles in front of them than just the death of band-centric games in general.

instead i'll settle for some Radiohead (possible, hopefully) or U2 (probably never in a million years) DLC.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Personally, I'd rather see the time and effort that it would take to program and design an entire band-centric game go into more DLC or RB 4. Having said that: Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band: Rockband.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Pitch-Black;4797511 said:
    Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band: Rockband.

This would be the first RB disk that I didn't buy, even if just to export to the main platform.
  • b4mvb4mv Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Rockband: Blink 182.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. for all of my consoles.
    Can I has Blink 182 Rockband?

PRRRZZ :D
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I'd say we do more genre-specific games.

Rock Band: Progressive Rock, anyone?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited June 2012
    Sargehalo51;4797514 said:
    This would be the first RB disk that I didn't buy, even if just to export to the main platform.

Don't worry, your not the only one.
    I would never buy a U2 or Bruce Springsteen game.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    I would hope never to see another band-centric title again, unless it was something like the Beatles. Beatles was special because the record company was so protective that the songs could NOT be used outside the game, but it was a ****ing EPIC band. Even if I sell RB1 and RB2 used, I'm never getting rid of Beatles.

That being said, all those stupid band-centric games from Guitar Hero greatly contributed to the oversaturation and subsequent "death" of the music game genre. I'd rather have three or four straight weeks of Pearl Jam DLC than get another band-centric game.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I'm hoping for a Rush: Rock Band myself. I know we already have a lot of Rush on Rock Band as is, but the truth is, we've only just scratched the surface of their 36-year-old discography. Heck, we have nothing from Grace Under Pressure onwards, and we're still missing several Rush classics, "Finding My Way" and "A Passage to Bangkok" to name a few. Not to mention, the band support Rock Band quite a lot, so I'm sure they'd be willing to allow such a project.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited June 2012
    sonicnerd23;4797820 said:
    I'm hoping for a Rush: Rock Band myself.
    This would probably result in a third version of Tom Sawyer available on the platform (an RB3 version). Talk about an enormous uproar.
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Led Zeppelin Cart Racing

David Geffen Tag Team World Party

Muse Coffee Shop!
    edited June 2012
    MofoMan2000;4797828 said:
    This would probably result in a third version of Tom Sawyer available on the platform (an RB3 version). Talk about an enormous uproar.

If it means being able to play that kickass key riff on Pro Keys, I'm all for it.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited June 2012
    "harmonix should make" and "want harmonix to make" are two totally different beasts.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2012
    defdog99;4797839 said:
    Led Zeppelin Cart Racing

David Geffen Tag Team World Party

Muse Coffee Shop!

John Kalodner Katamari Damacy

He gets all the bands!
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2012
    Genesis rock band would have some wild dreamscapes.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    People are wanting a single band game when HMX can't even do an album. That's hilarious.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2012
    lvmathemagician;4798072 said:
    People are wanting a single band game when HMX can't even do an album. That's hilarious.

People never stopped wanting single-band games and albums. Our expectations may have dwindled but our dreams haven't.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2012

Green Day was so necessary.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited June 2012
    obviously they are gonna do an Ayreon Rock Band :p
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I have a hunch that if HMX was interested in doing another band-centric title...that is something that U2 has been holding out for. Honestly, I don't think a U2-centric title would sell any better than Green Day did.

I think Zeppelin and Metallica could support their own games. Unfortunately, one isn't interested, and the other's already done it.

Every other band is tilting at windmills if they think they're getting their own game that will actually be profitable for the publisher.
    edited June 2012
    Dangimarocker;4796937 said:
    I doubt we see any ever again...
    but i'd love to see a Eagles Rock Band...

Does it come with it's own bong peripheral?

I like the Eagles, too, but man...that would be a very laid back setlist.
    edited June 2012
    Numskull;4797486 said:
    Every time somebody suggests a Pink Floyd Rock Band game, I ask myself: "Self, do you think this person has stopped to consider the indisputable fact that many of Pink Floyd's songs would be incredibly boring to play on the Rock Band platform?" And then I answer: "No. No, I do not."

But what if there were ZOMBIES or LASERS involved?

Or ZOMBIES WITH LASERS!?!?!?

What say you now, self?
    edited June 2012
    Doc_SoCal;4796993 said:
    I would say none.

Big disc based track packs that are exportable and perhaps playable as a stand alone on the current engine, sure... but I think the days of an economically viable band centric game have sailed into the music game sunset.

If HMX could figure out how to handle characters/avatars as DLC, could that solve this problem? Because then the "track pack" is a bunch of song files AND actual representations of the licensed band members. Then, you can maybe have a better chance of selling it to the band that "this is their own game" in a way.

The animations are stock. Then you just need to expose the models on top of them. No idea how this would work with online play (maybe if band-centric skin not present, just show the Duke of Gravity or something stock.)

Or would this require a title update every time characters were being added?
    edited June 2012

I've heard that since I've returned to the RB forums, and I'm curious to know, why can't they do albums? Has it just gotten too economically risky for them?