Top 5 Frontmen OF ALL TIME - Listen to the Podcast and Share Your List!

edited January 2013 in History of Rock
Hey gang,

We've been having a lot of High Fidelity style Top 5 discussions lately, the most recent of which was regarding the Top 5 Frontmen / Frontwomen / Front People in the history of rock.

Give a listen to the most recent episode of the Harmonix Podcast for the rundown on the Community Team's selections. We couldn't even agree with each other, so I'm sure many of you will have your own thoughts on the subject.

Give the show a listen, weigh in on our picks and post your own Top 5 list here!

Comments

• LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited June 2012
    Haven't listened to the podcast yet, will do shortly. Anyway, here's my top 5 in no particular order before I start changing it a whole bunch:

King Diamond
    Jello Biafra
    Alice Cooper
    Iggy Pop
    Roger Daltrey

Edit: So I ended up switching Roger Daltrey for David Bowie, seems concrete for now.
  • edited June 2012
    HappyPants;4799433 said:
    Because yeah, Angelo, Freddie, Mick, Iggy, sure. All brilliant.

But Gord Downie. Particularly back about 10-20 years ago. The rants. The maniacal grinning. The arguments with his mike stand. I'd put him in my top 3, easily.
    YEAH HOW MANY JUNO AWARDS HAS HE WON? HOW MANY SPINS ON MUCHMUSIC!?!??!

(jaykay I love Canada because I'm basically from there. Gimme some Tim Horton's.)
  • evans5150vhevans5150vh Unsigned
    edited June 2012
    David Lee Roth
    Jimi Hendrix
    Freddie Mercury
    Elvis Presley
    Frank Sinatra
  • twinkiebeyondtwinkiebeyond Unsigned
    edited June 2012
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    1. Freddie Mercury...duh.
    2. Roger Daltrey
    3. Robert Plant
    4. David Bowie
    5. Dave Grohl

Pretty much your standard cliche list...until THE GROHL.
  • MRNINJAMRNINJA Opening Act
    edited June 2012
    Freddie Mercury

Elvis Presley

Pat Benatar

David Bowie

Paul Rodgers

And i know ms. benatar is a woman...She really is amazing!
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2012
    My current top five, which will probably change in five minutes:
    • Freddie Mercury - Yes, obvious.
    • David Lee Roth - To me, also obvious.
    • Roger Daltry - Maybe not quite as obvious, but he's a performer just like Roth and Mercry. And he knows how to scream.
    • Jim Morrison - Another one I had to think about, but not really too much.
    • Jeff Lynne - Maybe he's not the showman the others are, but with his ever-present sunglasses and perm, and the fact that he's just as responsible for ELO's sound behind the microphone as in front, he gets my vote.
    Alan Parsons is in a special place. In the conventional sense he's not a front man. Across the entire APP and AP-solo catalog, he has sung lead all of twice, and one of those was through a vocoder. He doesn't play any lead instruments either, relegating himself to synth programming and some occasional rhythm guitar. Sometimes he's not in front of the microphone at all! And yet, there are very few producers that create a sound as singularly identifiable as Parsons, and of course he managed to get his name in the band's name. So it's like this: Jack Nicholson was the face of The Shining, but it was the product of Stanley Kubrick. Which one fronted that movie?

And by the way, Heartbreakers bassist Howie Epstein died, though it was after he left the band.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    I dunno, I think if you looked up the word "overrated" in the dictionary, you'd find Freddie Mercury's picture alongside Michael Jackson's. My list would be:

1- Bruce Dickinson
    2- Michael Hutchence
    3- Prince
    4- Chuck Berry
    5- Ronnie James Dio
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    Daniel Johnston
    Benjamin Smoke
    John Darnielle
    Fenriz
    Ian Curtis
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited June 2012
    afterstasis;4799791 said:
    Daniel Johnston
    Benjamin Smoke
    John Darnielle
    Fenriz
    Ian Curtis

Epileptic dance FTW!
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    Freddie Mercury
    Roger Waters
    Bruce Dickinson
    David Bowie
    Dave Grohl
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2012
    seriousbusson;4799790 said:

2- Michael Hutchence
    3- Prince
    Absolutely. They'd both be on the shortlist. Dat male sensuality.

For me, it'd look something like this:

1. Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
    2. Peter Murphy (Bauhaus)
    3. Roy Orbison
    4. Robert Smith (The Cure)
    5. Prince (the kitchen sink)

If I had my druthers, I'd try to fit in Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex, but she's not nearly as iconic as the others.

Arrrgh can't believe I forgot Eric Sean Nally of Foxy Shazam!
    edited June 2012
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited June 2012
    1. John Lennon
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Bruce Dickinson
    4. Michael Jackson
    5. Corey Taylor
    edited June 2012
    The Smiths as "boring, sad music"? Really? :D Morrissey is iconic, and a brilliant songwriter, to boot. Very little of their catalog is actually depressing, too, because much of it is obviously tongue-in-cheek (and this is before tongue-in-cheek was "in" in rock music).

Sounds like you're judging him based purely on "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and "There Is A Light." For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr47O72Kfh4

Shame on whoever said they only like a few singles from The Cure, too.
    edited June 2012
    Bob Dylan feat Soy Bomb
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2012
    I'd have to go with:
    Freddie Mercury
    Bruce Dickinson
    Ronnie James Dio
    Russell Allen
    Prince
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2012
    Mine would probably be Prince, Michael Hutchence, Ian Curtis, Ronnie James Dio, and John Darnielle, but I better post this now or I'll spend all night changing it.
  • edited July 2012
    Runesmith;4799981 said:
    The Smiths as "boring, sad music"? Really? :D Morrissey is iconic, and a brilliant songwriter, to boot. Very little of their catalog is actually depressing, too, because much of it is obviously tongue-in-cheek (and this is before tongue-in-cheek was "in" in rock music).

Sounds like you're judging him based purely on "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and "There Is A Light." For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr47O72Kfh4

Shame on whoever said they only like a few singles from The Cure, too.

I championed Morrissey (never got a depressed vibe, I think he's hilarious and he knows it) but I'm also the one who doesn't care for The Cure. Hey, a .500 batting average will still get me into the Hall of Fame!
  • DemonUnicornsDemonUnicorns Normally Dumb
    edited July 2012
    1. Mick Jagger
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Roger Daltrey
    4. Michael Jackson
    5. Kurt Cobain

EDIT: I...was the first to even mention Mick Jagger?
  • HbombCBGHbombCBG Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    1. Freddie Mercury
    2. Jon Bon Jovi (can't believe he hasn't been mentioned)
    3. Steven Tyler (also can't believe he hasn't been mentioned)
    4. Steven Page (formerly of Barenaked Ladies)
    5. Mark McGrath (Sugar Ray)
    edited July 2012
    hmxhenry;4802898 said:
    I championed Morrissey (never got a depressed vibe, I think he's hilarious and he knows it) but I'm also the one who doesn't care for The Cure. Hey, a .500 batting average will still get me into the Hall of Fame!

He's pretty much the full package as far as frontmen are concerned: the voice, attractiveness (both conventionally and unconventionally - I don't necessarily mean attractiveness in the shallow way, either), fashion sense, wit, songwriting skills. It's just weird that everyone else was so resitant to his inclusion in your list. Sounds like the other lads and ladettes at HMX HQ need a lesson in grandoise wordplay. Have you considered leaving wrapped bags of patchouli on their desks? :D

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in particular that you dislike about The Cure? I know you mentioned that you listened to Disintegration and didn't dig it, but you might be into their first album, Three Imaginary Boys, where they were essentially a punk power trio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmQ5EHUt74&feature=relmfu

That batting average joke made me laugh, too.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure I could be friends with someone who doesn't like The Smiths :)

Personally though, I don't think being depression is really a con.

Oh right, moarsmithsdlc pl0x
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Don't think I could really narrow it down ( especially after reading all these tasty posts). I definitely have to agree with Iggy Pop and David Bowie. But one of my personal faves will always be Greg Graffin of Bad Religion. :D
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Dave Grohl
    Freddie Mercury
    Kurt Cobain
    Peter Gabriel (during the Genesis years)
    Eddie Vedder
  • army_of_mearmy_of_me Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    Purposely avoiding obvious ones...

5 - Henry Rollins - Black Flag
    4 - Andrew WK - not sure if he fits your "rules"
    3 - Jack White - The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, ...
    2 - Bjork - The Sugarcubes (if you're about to argue she wasn't in a band)
    1 - Valient Thorr - Valient Himself (if you haven't seen them live, you haven't fully lived)

0 - Bonus entry! GG Allin - Entertainment for the whole family!

EDIT: And as a Smiths fan, I thought the Morrissey bashing was hilarious. It seemed only half-serious anyway (and mostly about antagonizing Aaron).
  • sourdaddyjonessourdaddyjones Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    My top three "band front persons", on my blog. Direct the peepers this way.

http://www.sourdaddyjones.blogspot.com
  • edited July 2012
    Runesmith;4803127 said:
    Just out of curiosity, is there anything in particular that you dislike about The Cure? I know you mentioned that you listened to Disintegration and didn't dig it, but you might be into their first album, Three Imaginary Boys, where they were essentially a punk power trio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmQ5EHUt74&feature=relmfu

It's not really The Cure specifically, just any band in that general mopey new wavey group. I don't really care for The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc. beyond a song or two here and there. But for some reason I love The Smiths.

I think it's Morrissey's writing that really sold me, as I find his writing to be about 500% more clever than the other bands I listed. He has such a sharp sense of humor and such a way with words that it really elevates the content beyond what you usually find in pop music. I just really appreciate that I never get the sense that he takes himself too seriously.

I do dig that Cure song you linked to though. It's much more straight ahead than what I'm used to from them.
  • metalgod22metalgod22 Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    My top 5

1. Freddie Mercury-Queen
    2. Rob Halford-Judas Priest
    3. Jim Morrison-The Doors
    4. Mike Patton-Faith No More
    5. Steven Tyler-Areosmith
  • sourdaddyjonessourdaddyjones Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4799895 said:
    GG Allin?

GG Allin (born Jesus Christ Allin, renamed Kevin Michael by his Mother) was a front man/exhibitionist/performer/oddity. He used to play drums and then he became a lead singer, who was, less than stellar in his musical ability and personal life.

You could Wikipedia him or Google him, though be advised there very well could be images of a obscene, perverted, and disgusting nature. Not for anyone under 18 and possibly 21 in some States.

There is a old documentary about him entitled Hated, which was directed by Todd Phillips, who went on to direct the film, Road Trip. Phillips is actually in the movie as a cameo as a "foot licker" (just to clarify Phillips was in Road Trip and not Hated). Weird trivia I know.

Hope that helps.