DLC Discussion Week of 7/10 - Daughtry 3 Pack

Comments

• clarknovaclarknova Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    jibjqrkl;4807584 said:
    not completely, also i should've said song(s) instead of band, because some bands are really good technically but just make really dull songs.

but a song that only uses 3 chords on a guitar and has cheesy lyrics but sounds a little bit nice has more chance of selling than music by people who actually know how to play a guitar, is what i'm trying to say.

"Louie, Louie" only has three chords. It's the most indestructible rock song of all time. Number of chords used does not necessarily equate to talent or lack thereof.

Now if we could get that tune and The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" (with a bonus fourth chord) - or actually any VU - we'd be plundering my wallet for DLC once again.
  • KemirochKemiroch Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Well this pack comes as 'No Surprise'. Heh. 7th week of no official DLC.

I will definitely be picking up the Jerry Naylor track and possible Kaipa as well.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4807597 said:
    Leave before Gowi tells you that you're objectively wrong!

He already read insults in my post that weren't even there. So, uh yeah he sorta was wrong.
    "Louie, Louie" only has three chords. It's the most indestructible rock song of all time. Number of chords used does not necessarily equate to talent or lack thereof.
    Too true, a clever musician can build a song just out of chords and it can be objectively well defined and creative.
  • gham77gham77 Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    I will give this a listen but my niche taste senses are tingling like a motherf**ker.
    Also, the mention of 'the chad' as a writer on one of these makes my skin crawl as if someone has stepped on my grave.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    Remember that time when Daughtry got a pack and QotSA got a single?

That was a barrel of monkeys
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Hey kids! This is the right way to hide poorly written pop music of Natalie Imbruglia level with fake hard rock! That's right!

The songs sound plan boring. Probably this pack will outsell everything else that came out this year, just cause they were on American Idol and they're poppy and modern enough to please young players.

That said, the songs aren't exactly bad, musically speaking, Crawling Back To You is some kind of "I've already heard songs like this 100 times before" track, with some cool tonality changes.. It's not over is defining this band's sound, melodic ballads with a sort of hard rock guitar behind. Ok I guess.

No Surprise is just bad, boring and predictable, univentive at least.

Just plain passing over this pack, but I think that it's not the worst piece we'll get/we got this year.
  • peterikepeterike Banned
    edited July 2012
    Whew, glad that's over with!

I had never actually heard a Daughtry song before (at least knowing it was a Daughtry song). When I listed to the clips, I felt I had heard all these songs ten thousand times before. There is a word for that: derivative. It's not a good word.

For my money, American Idol has essentially ruined pop music.
  • MPPMikeMPPMike Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    Yaawwwn.

He's too generic to love or hate, much like Nickelback. Still waiting for my promised B-52s. I guess they're saving the best for last on the teased summer bands.
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    He already read insults in my post that weren't even there. So, uh yeah he sorta was wrong.
    How was the term "uncritical" not a comment on people's critical abilities, then?
  • DemonUnicornsDemonUnicorns Normally Dumb
    edited July 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4807601 said:
    Man, tell me about it. I've been starting to lose interest in DLC these past few weeks. The last week that really excited me was the Men at Work/Santana week. And that was in MARCH. Most of the other weeks since then have been meh stuff.

The last time I was excited for a DLC week was Gold Star My Heart.
  • CrueHead871CrueHead871 Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    Really thought we'd get "What I Want", with Slash on the guitar, but 3 good songs IMHO. Bought! Thank you HMX. Keep taking my money, I love it! :)
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited July 2012
    My mom likes these guys.
    edited July 2012
    For my money, American Idol has essentially ruined pop music.
    I think the dance and electronic music has hurt pop music far more than a televised talent show and I like and respect what electronic music can do.
    How was the term "uncritical" not a comment on people's critical abilities, then?
    Are you a part of the collective masses? No, you are a message board forumer. This whole jive is irrelevant because like I said you are seeing imaginary insults when I neutrally stated this would

SELL VERY WELL
    TO THE NONCRITCAL
    NORMAL MASSES

Are you so daft?

That was an insult due to your consistence and annoyance.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Over the first four years of DLC I have an acceptance rate of about 22%.

This year however, that rate has plummeted to a dismal 1.8%. :(

And the drought continues...
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    And looks like my drought has finally ended! Not that it matters because I'm not petty enough to keep score of the weeks I dislike.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited July 2012
    Alright, Ima do short impressions today:

It's Not Over: Simple as all hell, but enough small oddities, such as an actual guitar solo in a modern pop/rock song, to make it sound like it will be fun.
    No Surprise: Turns out I have heard this song before. Many, many times. Hated it then and I hate it now.
    Crawling Back To You: Exceedingly simple. Not quite Glycerine exceedingly simple, though. Nothing will ever top Glycerine for utter simplicity. Very dry and monotone under the guise of passionate. Or something, whatever, it's Daughtry. There is only so much I can say.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    clarknova;4807602 said:

Now if we could get that tune and The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" (with a bonus fourth chord) - or actually any VU - we'd be plundering my wallet for DLC once again.

you couldnt tell i was talking about the generic radio pop-rock sound that a lot of pop-rock band seem to use? Obviously i did not mean EVERY SINGLE SONG
  • HaibaneHaibane Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    The Horror ... the horror ...
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Are you a part of the collective masses? No, you are a message board forumer. This whole jive is irrelevant because like I said you are seeing imaginary insults when I neutrally stated this would

SELL VERY WELL
    TO THE NONCRITCAL
    NORMAL MASSES

Are you so daft?

That was an insult due to your consistence and annoyance.
    And I never claimed you were insulting me, I claimed you were insulting those who would buy the songs.
  • VerreauxVerreaux Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Expected it. Big pass for me, but the RBN Community Spotlight thread already had a pretty epic start so maybe it was a good thing Daughtry dropped this week so I wouldn't overload on sheer excitement all at once :P
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Not even worthy of a comment.

Wait...
    edited July 2012
    Riffrockrat;4807633 said:
    And I never claimed you were insulting me, I claimed you were insulting those who would buy the songs.

Except nothing was insulting.

The common individual IS NOT critical AT ALL. They are normal people who barely even comprehend critic journalism beyond "isn't that what roger ebert does?". How is it an insult to say the average person doesn't waste their time picking apart everything and not being content with how life is?

Noncritical is not an insult.

I was speaking of the COMMON MASSES.

No, I'm done. You don't get it. You are Cipher 2.0.
  • XTommyDonXXTommyDonX Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Will definitely pick this up. Just wish that "No Surprise" was replaced by "Feels Like Tonight", "Over You", or even "Home". But hey, that could be our Daughtry Pack 02
    edited July 2012
    Riff, it's not worth it.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    clarknova;4807602 said:
    Songs like this are why the "no covers" rule should be re-examined in specific cases. It's a shame that gamers can't play "Louie, Louie", or "Wild Thing", or any of the dozens of other simple, classic, straight ahead rock songs that defined the genre because they pre-date multi-stem masters.

That's why I'm so stoked for the Jerry Naylor stuff. Yes, he's not the "original artist" on most of those songs, but if that's the only way we can get Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. kind of stuff...then let's encourage HMX to embrace it fully and show them that you want more by buying it when it's available.
    edited July 2012
    Gowienczyk;4807637 said:
    Except nothing was insulting.

The common individual IS NOT critical AT ALL. They are normal people who barely even comprehend critic journalism beyond "isn't that what roger ebert does?". How is it an insult to say the average person doesn't waste their time picking apart everything and not being content with how life is?

Noncritical is not an insult.

I was speaking of the COMMON MASSES.

No, I'm done. You don't get it. You are Cipher 2.0.
    I'm very critical to what I listen to.
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    My Jimmies have been rustled.
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4807645 said:

You are on a message board, you aren't the common individual.
  • peterikepeterike Banned
    edited July 2012
    Gowienczyk;4807625 said:
    I think the dance and electronic music has hurt pop music far more than a televised talent show and I like and respect what electronic music can do.

You have a point about dance and electronic. On the Idol side, my point is that it's introduced a style of singing that I hate, and which you now find everywhere, namely the constantly over-the-top vocals, contrived emotionalism, overly drawn out syllables style. Listen to Carrie Underwood and Daughtry. They sing in the exact same style. The music is different genres, the voices of course very different, but they all take from the same bag of tired vocal tricks. Janis Joplin knew when to push things into overdrive. These clowns START in over-drive. I find it totally exhausting listening to this kind of thing.

Well, another week down. There's always next week. I'm outta here. Time to go read about that Higgs Boson (if they can discover the God Particle, can't they get more classic rock in Rock Band?).
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4807645 said:

he was talking about the "don't get it" part making Riff "Cipher 2.0", not the noncritical part.

guess you didn't get it ;)