High School Prom Theme Song

Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
edited July 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Ok, this is pretty simple. What year did you graduate high school, what was the "theme" song of your high school senior prom, did you like it, and when you hear it does it bring back good memories?

I graduated in 1989:

Rod Stewart - "Forever Young"

Was a pretty popular song at the time and I thought it was ok then and still do. I recently heard it on the radio (hence the idea for this thread) and it brought back a lot of good memories (considering it's been more than 20yrs since I graduated high school).

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    There are theme songs for proms?

This
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Wouldn't know, I didn't go.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4803916 said:
    There are theme songs for proms?

This

Well, there were back then! lol

BTW...love Family Guy!!!
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    Wouldn't know, haven't gone yet.
    edited July 2012
    Wouldn't know, decided to make money instead of spend it.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited July 2012
    Men at Work -- Safety Dance

It was a campaign not to have Photograph or that Kid Rock song be it.
    edited July 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4803925 said:
    Men at Work -- Safety Dance

It was a campaign not to have Photograph or that Kid Rock song be it.

I love that song!
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah! It was hilarious, cause everybody was dancing like imbeciles. The peep kids were upset they didn't get Nickleback but still joined in.
    edited July 2012
    ClaptonsWig;4803930 said:
    Oh yeah! It was hilarious, cause everybody was dancing like imbeciles. The peep kids were upset they didn't get Nickleback but still joined in.

I remember the song when it came out, long before Nickleback or Kid Rock existed as popularish artists. What year are you talking about?

Edit: I think the band was Men Without Hats that did the Safety Dance.
    edited July 2012
    Sargehalo51;4803933 said:

That is correctunless Men at Work did a cover.
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4803939 said:
    That is correctunless Men at Work did a cover.

I don't think they did...
    On the 80s band topic, every time I see your current avatar I instantly think of Boy George from Culture Club! LOL
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    I am pretty sure it was ”I Believe I Can Fly”.

It really pissed me off.

Ba dum dum crash.
    edited July 2012
    Ehfahq;4803945 said:
    I am pretty sure it was ”I Believe I Can Fly”.

It really pissed me off.

Ba dum dum crash.
    I can hear the song in my head, but can't think of the band (Boys 2 Men???). Never cared for the song but it got sooooo much radio play when it came out.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Its R-Kelly.

I went to a prom the next year (was asked to go after I graduated) and it was K-Ci & JoJo - All My Life.

Which was equally horrible. It was 1997 and 1998.
    edited July 2012
    Ehfahq;4803954 said:
    Its R-Kelly.

I went to a prom the next year (was asked to go after I graduated) and it was K-Ci & JoJo - All My Life.

Which was equally horrible. It was 1997 and 1998.
    Wow, no wonder I was off on the band/group who sang the song. In 1997 I bought my first house and in 1998 I got married for the first time! lol

...and I agree, equally horrible!
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    They didn't play a single song I liked during both proms. All they played was R&B.

There is nothing wrong with R&B, but when that's all you play its freaking annoying. Especially in the 90's where there was plenty of other crappy songs to play.
  • edited July 2012
    Graduated in 2000, song was "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root which I still think is hilarious.

Thought about doing this same topic for a livestream. Good thread idea.
    edited July 2012
    At my senior banquet thingy I tried to get the DJ to play Friday but he was a party pooper and didnt do it.
    edited July 2012
    hmxhenry;4803961 said:
    Graduated in 2000, song was "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root which I still think is hilarious.

Thanks!
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2012
    hmxhenry;4803961 said:

You gotta be kidding me. Ive only heard that song in commercials.
    edited July 2012
    Ehfahq;4803970 said:
    You gotta be kidding me. Ive only heard that song in commercials.

I can't even think of the song in my head. I might actually have to look it up on Youtube or something.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    I graduated in 2009 and I honestly don't remember the song if we even had one I don't know.

I hardly remember anything from prom night except for the weekend that ensued after.

As my mom told me I would, I regret the decisions I made that night now. It most certainly probably was a song I didn't care for if there was one knowing the people I graduated with.
    edited July 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4803985 said:
    I graduated in 2009 and I honestly don't remember the song if we even had one I don't know.

I hardly remember anything from prom night except for the weekend that ensued after.

As my mom told me I would, I regret the decisions I made that night now.

Wow, that bad huh?
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Sargehalo51;4803990 said:
    Wow, that bad huh?
    Yeah, the actual prom itself was a disaster for me and the people I was with. Just loldrama all over the place, so we ended up leaving after like an hour being there. The after-parties are what I mostly remember. 3 of the best days of my life.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2012
    2000 and 2001 for me (Ontario Academic Credit, essentially Grade 13, had to have it if you wanted to get into an Ontario University).

Both times was "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" by Green Day

Could you get any more cliche than that?!
    edited July 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4803996 said:
    Yeah, the actual prom itself was a disaster for me and the people I was with. Just loldrama all over the place, so we ended up leaving after like an hour being there. The after-parties are what I mostly remember. 3 of the best days of my life.

20+ years ago my hometown was a nice city to live in, and hence our prom was pretty much drama free. No stupid fights or anything like that, just everyone having a good time. I only attended one after-party, which was pretty low key. It's funny to look back now and see how simple things were and how good we all had it back then!
    edited July 2012
    whofan;4803999 said:
    2000 and 2001 for me (Ontario Academic Credit, essentially Grade 13, had to have it if you wanted to get into an Ontario University).

Personlly, I think that was a great song choice. But cliche, I think "Forever Young" gives it a pretty good run for it's money (though it was meant in a positive light).
    edited July 2012
    Sargehalo51;4803933 said:
    I remember the song when it came out, long before Nickleback or Kid Rock existed as popularish artists. What year are you talking about?

I graduated in 07, but Photograph was the song everybody requested at Homecoming. My friends and I got a rally together when it came to voting for class song to write in Safety Dance. Apparently the split between Nickelback and Kid Rock allowed us to win. They didn't bother holding a Prom vote out of fear we would suggest a "worse" song, and allowed us to keep Safety Dance.

I always say Men at Work, but you know what I meant lol
  • edited July 2012
    I didn't go to my prom but I think it was Don't Stop Believing.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    whofan;4803999 said:

A song about a breakup...nice. I guess it's better than the people who play "Every Breath You Take" at their weddings :S