Cipher's First Impressions Thread

BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
For those of us who somewhat enjoy reading Cipher's first impressions of the weekly DLC, I though it might be interesting (if he's a willing participant) for people to recommend songs for him to review.

It'd not only be enjoyable (to some) in reading his relatively unbiased and "quirky" opinions, but also at the same time could help him by expanding his musical horizons... And who knows, maybe he'll turn into the next well respected music critic (although that's unlikely :)).

As this is meant to be purely for the fun of it, I would strongly suggest that there be no bashing of his reviews or opinions although feel free to respectfully disagree or offer up your own review.

Although I doubt this thread lasts very long with him heading off to college soon (I'll be surprised if it even gets off the ground), he may have to pick and chose a few songs every week or whatever to listen to..I guess we'll just see how it goes...

Soooo.... If interested anyone, feel free to contribute. To make it easy, whatever song you want him to review, post a link for easy access.

I'll start off with an easy one, since someone brought up Reel Big Fish in the WAYDRN thread and it reminded me of a song I listened to ages ago...

Here's School of Fish, with Three Strange Days

Comments

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Oh where oh where is Cipher, oh where oh where could he be? *sees a paramore hottopic sale*
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    could also post his DLC impressions in here in case people are interested

btw, cipher just told me on msn half an hour ago he was going to sleep, so he wont be here for a while :p
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    inb4somebodyrecommends40+minutesongs

How about since Daughtry was just announced, and I seem to be one of the only ones who likes them, let's go with my personal favourite from him.

Daughtry - Crashed

IDK if he will do this or not, but it could be a neat idea. Let's try not go overboard and give him 50 songs a day.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    jibjqrkl;4809206 said:
    could also post his DLC impressions in here in case people are interested

btw, cipher just told me on msn half an hour ago he was going to sleep, so he wont be here for a while :p

Ill tweet at him that theres a thread about him and he'll be here quicker than something that is really quick
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4809226 said:
    Ill tweet at him that theres a thread about him and he'll be here quicker than something that is really quick
    nascars are pretty quick :P
  • defdog99defdog99 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Reading his reviews... I think ultimately, the song is judged by the vocals.

Bad voice -- to him -- and it's over.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4809189 said:
    But Cipher doesnt listen to stuff that people tell him to.
    Not true.

"Head On" - Jesus and Mary Chain
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    Alright guys. I'm game, but don't expect me to hit every song all at once. I do have a backlog of songs I need to listen to and it's not fair to the other guys who've been recommending me stuff for a while, primarily the guy behind recommending me Disintegration and RosaFloydGuy. I'll edit this post with links to the songs I do first impressions on.

Just no one recommend me a song that's longer than 10 minutes. All I ask. And recommending me albums instead of specific songs will give you less priority over those who recommend me songs. So if you want me to do a full album, just recommend me a song one by one.

EDIT: Ok, so like bad planning. I didn't know that there was a text limit, so I'll just link this post to the master list.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    (they're all laughing at you, dude)
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    edited July 2012
    So like, I don't know how to kick start this thread! I'm pretty stoked that people are recommending me songs in such a cool way that allows them to be a part of my growth as a lover of music! So I'm pretty hyped about this. Anyway, I'll format these first impressions just like I do my regular first impressions. So here goeeeeeeeeeeees....

This week is a mixed singles week, consisting of:
    • School of Fish - "Three Strange Days" X
    • The Cure - "Plainsong" O
    • Bad Religion - "Sorrow (RB3 Version)" X

The Cure, School of Fish, and Bad Religion Singles First Impressions

Lets start off with Plainsong, because that name makes me giggle. Tee hee. It's also the start of The Cure's hit album "Disintegration"! Which I'm sure many will be pleased about coming to Rock Band. Starts off... majestic is the only word I can describe. It has a brilliant atmosphere with great keys and a soft but captivating drum pattern. The guitar starts now and although it fits the atmosphere brilliantly, it reminds me too much of The Killing Moon. Which I dislike. And it continues. And continues :I
    Why must you do this?!? You were doing so well ;_;
    If it weren't for The Killing Moon, I would probably be all over this song, bu- Hey look, the vocals! They're pretty decent. But they have this really distracting echo. echo. echo. It's enough to make me glare at the song in frustration. But it's still a good song. At least the first atmosphere building half was amazing. They just didn't deliver that well in my opinion. AND The Killing Moon type guitar continues. Blargh. Even though the atmosphere is constant throughout the song, the individual parts of it are interesting enough to keep me engaged and not bored. Either way, I still kinda dig it. Perhaps not enough to put on my iPod, but enough to put on my "to listen to later" list.

Next up is Three Strange Days! So weird that I thought it said These Strange Days. Got confused with The Doors :I
    Starts off pretty ominous. Which is totally awesome. I hope it keeps this creepy fee- No it doesn't >_>
    But the guitar is reaaaaaaally sweet and the drum pattern is nice. YES! The guitar just kicks ASS! The drums feel like such a natural complement to them. The vocals are meh, but that guitar is soooooooo gooooood. It reminds me of something, but I can't remember it at the moment. The drums are quickly becoming repetitive, unfortunately. Shake it up with some spazzes or something! So far this song is fantastic. Yeah, the vocals don't bother me anymore. Now the drums are the ones that get the glaring squint. They started off so well, and then didn't do anything besides that! Oh snap, a guitar solo! And it's super cool too. Definitely will buy. It gets kind of repetitive, but I don't care. Awesome. Wait, there's more to the song! It's kind of really strange, but enjoyable.

Last up is Sorrow By Bad Religion!
    Starts off with... very quiet everything. The volume is max on my laptop and I can barely hear a word he's saying. New video time... Alright, here we go. The drums are nice and the guitar is cool and BAM! The vocals are nice, but I hope that's not his natural voice. Nope, they change for the better! And it's... Kinda catchy. The vocals are strange, but whatever. I like them. There's a lot to like about this song. It's very catchy and reminds me of Jimmy Buffet mixed with Flogging Molly. The harmonies are barely there :I
    Not my first choice for the return of RB3 Versions, but whatever. The guitar solo, is of course, great and mixes up the already fantastic guitar. I dig it. Will buy.

This week overall... is FANTASTIC! Holy ****, the worst of these songs I felt was "quite good", so you know you're in for a kickass week with these songs. And 2 Pro Guitar upgrades... brilliant!

In the grand scheme of things, this week is the first week so there's nothing to compare it to yet.

This week in terms of songs:
    Three Strange Days
    Sorrow
    Plainsong
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited July 2012
    Alright, I can dig this format. Not much to say right now except that if you dislike the echo in that The Cure song...best just to stop now.

As for requests? I don't think you've listened to enough Coheed & Cambria to notice how close they can be to Paramore sometimes. I'd recommend all of In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth:3, but in the interests of saving time, I'd just say The Suffering.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Oh, that totally reminds me... Cipher, did you ever get around to listening to Disintegration? You liking (sort of) Plainsong is a good sign.

But yeah, your problem with the songs length I think will be recurring. It's a pretty long album, with multiple 10+ minute songs.
  • DemonUnicornsDemonUnicorns Normally Dumb
    edited July 2012
    1979 - Smashing Pumpkins

Unless you actually want to give a good listen to Diamond Eyes - Shinedown.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited July 2012
    I thought of suggesting this to Cipher like a week ago! I'm glad someone else shares my love of Ciph's impressions.

I'm somewhat anticipating you to hate these, Cipher. Here you go.

The Sheepdogs - Please Don't Lead Me On
    Real Estate - It's Real
    edited July 2012
    instantdeath999;4809516 said:
    Oh, that totally reminds me... Cipher, did you ever get around to listening to Disintegration? You liking (sort of) Plainsong is a good sign.

But yeah, your problem with the songs length I think will be recurring. It's a pretty long album, with multiple 10+ minute songs.
    I'll make exceptions for Disintegration and whatever RosaFloydGuy recommended me as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. It's only fair, because you guys have been waiting a while.
    DemonUnicorns;4809520 said:
    1979 - Smashing Pumpkins

Unless you actually want to give a good listen to Diamond Eyes - Shinedown.
    I won't do Blitz songs either, because I want to experience them for the first time in Blitz.

I'll do the next batch after breakfast.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    Here's one completely out of left field that is completely different from the others.

Senator John Dean - Never Fall Away
  • edited July 2012
    Well I don't want to overwhelm you so just get to it when you have the time

Alabama Shakes - Hang Loose
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sSl11GMkMI
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I had given you five, so I don't expect you to do them all at once or anytime soon. Just take your time and proceed when ready.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4809523 said:
    I'll make exceptions for Disintegration and whatever RosaFloydGuy recommended me as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. It's only fair, because you guys have been waiting a while.

I won't do Blitz songs either, because I want to experience them for the first time in Blitz.

I'll do the next batch after breakfast.

And I totally recommended it by accident.
    edited July 2012
    Since Aly already recommended me a Daughtry track, might as well make that into a pack, no?
    This week of songs features Daughtry's return to Rock Band as well as some mixed singles to keep a variety of players happy!

• Daughtry – “Home” O
    • Daughtry – “What I Want” X
    • Daughtry – “Crashed” O

• Jesus and Mary Chain - "Head On" OX
    • Macabre - "Jeffrey Dahmer And The Chocolate Factory" O
    • Coheed and Cambria - "The Suffering" O
    • Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" O

I'll start by attacking this in halves, first the Daughtry pack and then the singles. It'll keep me busy for a while, no?

Daughtry Pack 02 and Mixed Singles First Impressions

Let's start with the big one... What I Want! Totally bummed that it got left out the first pack, but I'm glad they got onto it so quickly :O
    Starts off with interesting drums and the guitar is awesome! The vocals are great, some of Daughtry's best, and the chorus is just... Yes! Easily my favorite Daughtry song, although I only knew 2 before the first pack was released. With interesting guitar, sweet vocals, and general coolness, this song is a must buy. Hmmmm... This song feels a little rushed. Like the choruses are pretty close togeth... THIS SONG IS NOT EVEN 3 MINUTES LONG?!?!?!? WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED :I
    I never knew this song was so tiny! Ugh. Either way, the vocals and guitar keep shining well throughout the song and I totally dig it. But it's just... so short. Oh well. Rather short and sweet than good but drags on for an eternity. No wonder I like this song so much. The choruses (the good parts) are so quick and close that it just sticks :p

Next song is Home! I already know and love a song called Home, so this better not disappoint! The song starts off... quiet and soft. It reminds me of... Every Rose Has Its Thorn :I
    I dislike that song! The vocals are better, but the guitar... It's just... Too familiar to that song. As long as he doesn't talk about cowboys, then it'll be better than that song. The vocals aren't great, in fact they're a huge let down from What I Want. It's a very calm song and I can't imagine it being any fun on Rock Band. The harmonies were fantastic, but they lasted for like a second, so that's a bummer. Come on, bring on more of those awesome harmonies! The keys are pretty bleh and don't add much to the song. In fact. Nothing adds to the song besides the harmonies that lasted for one short sentence. AHA! There they are again! Hey look, the guitar is actually feeling a bit powerful. Kinda reminds me of I Don't Wanna Stop's riff. Which is a billion times better than Every Rose Has It's Thorn's riff. Hey look, the keys are actually being cool! Hell, this song feels so much better now than it did in the first 4/5ths of the song. I just wish that the instruments felt more... active like in the exciting parts of the song. Meh. Didn't like it too much.

Last song of the pack... Crashed!
    ANOTHER SONG THAT HAS A RIFF THAT REMINDS ME OF THE KILLING MOON?!? D:
    Oh well, it's a lot softer in this song than Plainsong. Also reminds me of one of the CTP2 songs, but I can't remember which one. Hmmm... This song is a lot more interesting than Home. Like a lot more. It's not What I Want level of coolness, but it actually manages to be interesting. The vocals are great and the instruments, while soft, complement his voice really well. I'm just... surprised that this guy got so far in American Idol. His voice isn't THAT amazing, and he has almost NO variety in his voice. Which is disappointing, because some of his songs are cool and need that extra push. Hey look, he did something cool with his voice... which lasted for about 4 seconds. UGH! STOP DOING THAT, DAMNIT! You have potential if you mix your voice up a bit, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Now the cool guitar ended and TKM's guitar riff returns. I like the song, but it could be so much better.

Now that I'm done with the pack, it's time for some singles?
    1979 starts it off! Doesn't Phoenix have a song called 1979? Why didn't they just use a different number >_>
    The song starts off really quiet and then picks up volume fast. It's... a really weird song. I've always been waffling about Smashing Pumpkins. They feel like a good band, but their songs never really captivate me really well. And this song... doesn't feel interesting at all. His voice in this song is possibly the worst of any Smashing Pumpkins songs I've listened to. The drums are very consistent, but the pattern isn't interesting and it's so prominent throughout the song. His voice doesn't interest me at all and it just drags on... and drags... and drags... Bleh. This song feels like it can be cut in half and not lose a second of original content. Oh well. Didn't like it at all.

The Suffering is up next! I've never liked Coheed and Cambria, so hopefully this song changes my opinion on them! The guitar is nice and interesting... UGH! HIS VOICE! GET IT AWAY! The guitar, while starting interesting, loses its charm fast, but the vocals are just bad. The keys are really interesting though, but they go away just as suddenly as they come. The harmonies seem very interesting, but I can't hear them behind the lead vocalist. Which is unfortunate. Very unfortunate. Yeah, the harmonies are really interesting. But TOO BAD I CAN'T HEAR THEM WELL OVER HIS VOICE ;_;
    This song also manages to drag on. There's not many things interesting happening over the song, and the song doesn't really do anything fresh. It's amazing that I like the keys and harmonies in this song the most and they're barely there and are really soft compared to the rest of the song. This song just made me dislike Coheed and Cambria even more :I

The penultimate song is the Chocolate Factory song! I wonder where they got the inspiration from the title from SARCASM SARCASM :p
    The... It's an Oompa Loompa song? Very weird. The vocals are actually really interesting and the instruments are nice, but it's like a minute long so it ends as soon as it begins. It is catchy, though. Won't buy it, but it's a nice little song that has fun everything.

AND THE LAST SONG IS.... Head On!
    Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh, that reminds me of those apply directly to your forehead commercials. You know, the one that was featured in Yugioh The Abridged Series.
    The vocals are pretty dark and mysterious and the guitar riff is nice. The drum pattern is repetitive, but at least it captures my attention. Yeah, the longer the vocals go on, the less I like them. Sorry, but they really aren't up my alley. Is it just me or do a lot of these songs feel really repetitive? Like I dunno, but they feel like they repeat themselves so often. I enjoy the guitar the most of this song, and wish the drums would work with them a bit more, because I can just imagine them doing amazing things together. It gets boring, but whatever. I'm sticking with it till the very end. There's not much to say. Perhaps I'm a bit tuckered out? I do feel like most of it is just flying past me. It's not entirely the song's fault, but it's not doing anything to make it better.

So this week overall... Well, it has 1 song I really want and the rest is either interesting but won't buy or I really dislike. So a decent week, I guess.

In the grand scheme of things, this week is definitely below last week's awesome tracks.

This week in terms of songs:
    What I Want
    Crashed
    Jeffrey Dahmer And The Chocolate Factory
    Home
    Head On
    The Suffering
  • edited July 2012
    1901 is the Phoenix song.
    edited July 2012
    Sorry I didn't get to you yet, TheStuddz. Also Coheed and Cambria sound nothing like Paramore.
    MagicMurderBag7;4809624 said:
    1901 is the Phoenix song.
    Oops!
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I did give Cipher a huge list of reccomendations. So for now, I'll just sit back and watch.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Shameless self promotion alert! You don't have to do this, but...

Nightlock - I Have Fury!

EDIT: Or, if it's songs you've probably never heard before...

Alter Bridge - Blackbird
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 2012
    How about some Soundgarden which Cipher should have on RB but doesn't...

Jesus Christ Pose

and

Pretty Noose
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for listening to the one I recommended already! Ill think of another one for you soon. Probably either "As I Am" or "Under A Glass Moon" from Dream Theather. Or maybe oe from another band in my sig.

Your Coheed & Cambria review pretty much exactly matches my thoughts on almost every C&C song I've heard. (about two albums on spotify) Welcome Home was perfect enough for me to get the pack. But it went downhill from there. Shame that any of their other songs don't match up to WH
    Let's start with the big one... What I Want! Totally bummed that it got left out the first pack, but I'm glad they got onto it so quickly :O
    It's almost like they released both packs on the same week. :D I personally like 02 better then 01 because it stays on the first album.
    edited July 2012
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 2012
    Well...cool. Glad to see Cipher is interested (thanks for having an open mind) and people are participating...wasn't sure it would go over well,but so far so good.

Remember everyone that wants to add a song, please post a link for everyone's ease in checking out the song.

Also, hope other people take the time to listen to other people's recommendations, just from the first few I've listened to, I had an "oh that song moment" with Head On by JaMC (sorry that Cipher didn't enjoy it, 'cause I dig that song) and especially enjoyed both the Macabre and Senator John Dean songs.

I'm still listening to the others so keep 'me coming. I'm enjoying discovering some forum fan favorites probably as much as if not more than Cipher (of course, it's easier for me not having to write a review :p).
    edited July 2012
    Cipher hated my favorite song evarrrrr! :mad:

Alright Cipher, I've got three more Smashing Pumpkins songs for you. I don't expect you to listen to all of them, but at least give the first one a shot.

Smashing Pumpkins - "My Love is Winter"
    Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonight, Tonight"
    Smashing Pumpkins - "Stand Inside Your Love"

And what Thisnameislame says below about Rancid. :)