By Your Command - Devin Townsend Bass Solos

billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
edited July 2012 in The Rock Band Network
What's the point of the solo at 4:05 and 6:00

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    The "Ziltoid Initiative" is a project in cooperation with ThatAuthoringGroup and Devin Townsend. They wanted this album to be an experience, so what they came up with was little "quirks" in their songs to make it look like Ziltoid is messing with the game. If you play with all instruments, those solos are on every single one of them.

Other examples of this kind of thing are "ghost vocals," where there's no vocals, but the vocal chart requires you to say something stupid and hilarious, Ziltoid calling you out for being a nerd in some songs, sporadic venue direction (especially on ZTO) and on Planet Smasher, the parts with the Planet Smasher being done in a "sixth dimensional intellect." Harmonix was content with this, but there was a huge debate about this in the community for the longest time, but eventually people understood (for the most part) that it was something the artist wanted to do.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    like i said, it's because Ziltoid wants it to be
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Oh ziltoid, what will he think of next...
    ;)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I assume this doesn't make much sense if you're on PS3 with only 2 (or was it 3?) of the songs from the album.
  • SeymourDuncan17SeymourDuncan17 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4809219 said:
    my guess would be lulz

lulz
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I just bought and played this yesterday on guitar. I assure you your game is not broken. Ziltoid just wants to make you think it is.
    DragoonXD;4809247 said:
    I assume this doesn't make much sense if you're on PS3 with only 2 (or was it 3?) of the songs from the album.

3: Ziltoidia Attaxx, Hyperdrive, and By Your Command. Avalible to us in that order.

I haven't bought Hyperdrive yet, what does Ziltoid "mess up" with that song?
    edited July 2012
    nascargo19;4809368 said:

I think it's just ghost talkies.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    Oh Ziltoid, you are so omniscient. If there were two omnisciences, he would be both!
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    nascargo19;4809368 said:

The songs get progressive less messed as you "defeat" Ziltoid by playing the album.

And yes it makes less sense on the PS3. ZTO explains the entire concept in the outro but it's not (and will never be) available on PS3.
    edited July 2012
    yup, i suggest listening to the album on youtube or something from start to finish so you at least kinda have an idea of what's going on

also, the last song told me to go play the album again , i've been doing this 3 weeks straight now with no breaks in between and i'm getting kinda tired. does anyone know how i can break this circle? (without failing. failing is for nubz)
    edited July 2012
    jibjqrkl;4809396 said:
    yup, i suggest listening to the album on youtube or something from start to finish so you at least kinda have an idea of what's going on

also, the last song told me to go play the album again , i've been doing this 3 weeks straight now with no breaks in between and i'm getting kinda tired. does anyone know how i can break this circle? (without failing. failing is for nubz)

During his closing monologue, just quit. You should be free of this curse.

Or better yet, just say no. You won, don't be his b****!
    edited July 2012
    i can say no to people?

what is this sorcery?
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2012
    For the PS3 people that are just now getting Devin Townsed songs(and of course Xbox as well) I understand there can be some confusion if you start playing a random song and don't start with ZTO. Plus the fact that ZTO isn't on the PS3 doesn't help ;)

So here's a rundown of the Ziltoid experiment.

Ziltoid (being the greatest guitar player that ever lived....or so he claims), discovers Rock Band and can't understand why us nerds are playing with plastic guitars.

So using a combination of Ziltoidian technology and coffee, Ziltoid beams himself directly into the programming of Rock Band to 'break the game', and general troll you while you try to play through the album.

If you ever notice the venue, lighting or camera spazz out that's Rock Band 'glitching' due to Ziltoid running rampant through the programming. He can also take direct control of the RB programming and cause the characters to behave strangely, scroll his own lyrics across the vocal chart, make things like odd solos appear at random times, cause the practice sections to scroll backwards, and of course bellow and yell at you over the music while you're trying to play.

That Ziltoid, what a little **** ;)

Here this video will explain it better than I can :
    http://youtu.be/sjUkDkHfxuc
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited July 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4809502 said:
    For the PS3 people that are just now getting Devin Townsed songs(and of course Xbox as well) I understand there can be some confusion if you start playing a random song and don't start with ZTO. Plus the fact that ZTO isn't on the PS3 doesn't help ;)

Ziltoid (being the greatest guitar player that ever lived....or so he claims), discovers Rock Band and can't understand why us nerds are playing with plastic guitars.

So using a combination of Ziltoidian technology and coffee, Ziltoid beams himself directly into the programming of Rock Band to 'break the game', and general troll you while you try to play through the album.

If you ever notice the venue, lighting or camera spazz out that's Rock Band 'glitching' due to Ziltoid running rampant through the programming. He can also take direct control of the RB programming and cause the characters to behave strangely, scroll his own lyrics across the vocal chart, make things like odd solos appear at random times, cause the practice sections to scroll backwards, and of course bellow and yell at you over the music while you're trying to play.

That actually makes me want to buy the songs. I think that's a pretty cool idea.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    That's pretty hilarious. Now I need to pick up a hard drive and a guitar and get this for the XBOX.q
    edited July 2012
    billybobjoe1881;4809576 said:
    That's pretty hilarious. Now I need to pick up a hard drive and a guitar and get this for the XBOX.q

It's worth it, aside from the songs being kickass and the concept hilarious, it's pretty fun all around.
    edited July 2012
    So how much of the album, other than ZTO, is RBN1? Will you ever make RB3 versions so the PS3 players can get another shot at these songs? I'd really like to have the entire album avalible to us.
    edited July 2012
    ZTO is the only one that's RBN1.0.

We've been thinking of how to make it a RBN2.0 version (but since we don't have separate keys and vox we wouldn't be able to do it the 'normal' way. So we're thinking of something ziltoid-y to do with harms and keys since we don't have the proper stems for them.
  • edited July 2012
    TheStuddz;4809515 said:
    That actually makes me want to buy the songs. I think that's a pretty cool idea.

That's what I was thinking. I might have to look into this.
    edited July 2012
    You can see all the songs in action here :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nlarimer?feature=mhee

Just do a search on the channel for Devin Townsend.
    edited July 2012
    http://youtu.be/V5UACDNHTEY

This was one of the early versions of ZTO.

As you can see we REALLY had the lighting and venue and characters going crazy and fritzing out. But alas it was shot down at creators as being too bat**** ;)
    edited July 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4809693 said:
    Hope the rest of the avalible songs make it to PS3 soon...
    We've been thinking of how to make it a RBN2.0 version (but since we don't have separate keys and vox we wouldn't be able to do it the 'normal' way. So we're thinking of something ziltoid-y to do with harms and keys since we don't have the proper stems for them.
    ... I hope you can find an idea for this to get another chance with us.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4809502 said:

That...that is pretty frikkin cool.
    edited July 2012
    I'm really happy to see that so many people are enjoying the zaniness of the Ziltoid album. It really makes all the hell we went through to get it through the system (since it breaks a lot of the 'rules) worth it to see people are getting it and having fun with it (as was the intention the entire time).

So yeah.

Awesome that everyone is cool with it :D
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4809693 said:

I can think of plenty of ways. If ZTO is meant to be the most messed up of them all, then there's certainly some fun to be had. On keys you could have copious amounts of lane shifting over short periods (best to do this while player is not playing, so they don't fail out), keys out of range, and dare I say it... Lane shifts on black notes! Also, ghost Keys could be charted to spell out messages, doing it by pitch would be a little limited, but you could prompt the keyboardist to use one key to tap out morse code messages.
    If you did go and make an RB3 version, I think you should go all out and make things as glitched up as the original video you have there to warrant the rerelease.
    If there isn't a limit to the practice sections, it would be really cool to put ALL of them in the song
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    nascargo19;4809368 said:

Actually, since Ziltoid sits out of the entire song, all there is is a tiny bit of venue spazzing at the very end when he comes up in the narration. I think "Solar Winds" and "Color Your World" are the only songs without ghost vocals that are absent from the PS3. Everything else (including "By Your Command") does, so PS3 vocalists are probably confused as *butt*.
    LiveHomeVideo;4809238 said:
    [O]n Planet Smasher, the parts with the Planet Smasher being done in a "sixth dimensional dialect."
    f¡xéD 74A7 fØR yØu. :cool:

The brief way to explain the Ziltoid fudgery: if it's horrible and Magma allows it, it probably shows up somewhere in one of the songs. Well, except for instrument-based things like gems going in the wrong direction. Those didn't work out too well, and it's not like you can put the drumkit next to the speaker to avoid the broken parts, hence most of the RB buggery sticking mostly to vocals and venue.

There's a lot of motifs in the venues that appear throughout the album. Things like strobes at the mention of "Ziltoid," and dark (i.e. SPAAAAAAAAACE) lighting during dialogue. And "The Greys" should be a no-brainer.
    edited July 2012
    I've always wanted to see a song get the double bass on the regular chart, then a song comes out the week after labeled as (0.5x Pedal Version)
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited July 2012
    DavyinaToga;4810002 said:
    I think "Solar Winds" and "Color Your World" are the only songs without ghost vocals that are absent from the PS3. Everything else (including "By Your Command") does, so PS3 vocalists are probably confused as *butt*.

The only songs with ghost vocals are "By Your Command", "Solar Winds", and "The Greys".