I don't get it.

ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
edited July 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I watched the video, read some reviews, and still don't think I understand.

It looks like a simple arcade game, almost like a slow driving game. Somehow they integrated a rhythm game mechanic into it and made it a cross between Outrun and RockBand. But why??? Who will this appeal to, arcade/driving fans or rhythm fans? Or neither?

Seems to me the rhythm game fandom, while vast, is still niche, and by taking away that which makes rhythm games unique (the peripherals) you're reducing the genre to a sinple point and shoot arcade game. Again, I posit the question, why???

Comments

  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4810228 said:
    There once was a time where rhythm games didnt have plastic instruments. Harmonix has even made games like that.

    But did they have the groundbreaking and long lasting appeal that instrument-based games have? It was the little plastic GH1 guitar that started it all. Without it, it's essentially Simon.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810233 said:
    But did they have the groundbreaking and long lasting appeal that instrument-based games have? It was the little plastic GH1 guitar that started it all. Without it, it's essentially Simon.
    It's still Simon Says. Hate to break it to you, but if they remade the Simon Says circle into a rectangle and called it a guitar neck, it'd still be the same exact game.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810233 said:
    But did they have the groundbreaking and long lasting appeal that instrument-based games have? It was the little plastic GH1 guitar that started it all. Without it, it's essentially Simon.

    Which is why Blitz is importable to RB3 for the people that still want to use it as such. You don't have to play the new way.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810225 said:
    What's the point of playing a rhythm game without the silly plastic instruments?

    Because it's a fun game and you still feel like your actions in the game directly affect the music being played. (If you start missing notes on the guitar track, the guitar audio will drop out.) You're also able to play along to all of the instruments in one run in this game, whereas you only experience one or two instrument tracks per run with RB3.
    ErikSarcasm;4810233 said:
    But did they have the groundbreaking and long lasting appeal that instrument-based games have? It was the little plastic GH1 guitar that started it all. Without it, it's essentially Simon.

    You seem fairly convinced that any rhythm games without peripherals are pointless. Have you played games like Parappa the Rapper, Amplitude, and Gitaroo Man? They can actually be quite fun experiences, much like playing Timesplitters without a gun in my hand still managed to be fun.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4810238 said:
    It's still Simon Says. Hate to break it to you, but if they remade the Simon Says circle into a rectangle and called it a guitar neck, it'd still be the same exact game.

    I can't agree. You can't pick up a simon circle and hop across your living room like Angus Young, or pound out a drum solo like Tommy Lee then chuck your sticks, or hit a big falsetto on your knees a la Roger Daltrey. It's that feeling like a rock star that separates Rock Band from simon. Blitz... takes that away. It looks like it makes you feel like a gamer. And really, who plays RockBand to feel like a gamer?

    Not that there's anything wrong with gamers.

    ...and not that I do any of that showboaty stuff, of course :D
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Witticus;4810239 said:
    Which is why Blitz is importable to RB3 for the people that still want to use it as such. You don't have to play the new way.

    Valid point, but then it's a $50 25 song track pack. Will these songs be available separately as DLC, for those of us who just want the songs and not the playability? I already fell into that trap twice (Green Day and Lego), three times if you count AC/DC.

    And yes I did the math and realize that 25 DLC songs would cost abouot $50 heh
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    It is the job of the Harmonix marketing department to sell you the game (i.e. it is not our job). Not everyone will like every game that is released. Just try to accept that there are people who like things you dislike and people who dislike things you like. You'll be happier.

    (And it is an *arcade* game, it is not going to be fifty dollars)
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810247 said:
    Valid point, but then it's a $50 25 song track pack. Will these songs be available separately as DLC, for those of us who just want the songs and not the playability? I already fell into that trap twice (Green Day and Lego), three times if you count AC/DC.

    And yes I did the math and realize that 25 DLC songs would cost abouot $50 heh
    Its not going to be $50 though it will be $20 at most.

    I dont know what you mean by "trap". It trap that you got ~40 songs and a full game for $60?
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    I almost bought Audiosurf once.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2012
    If someone wishes that they had "Jessie's Girl", they can download the game for $15-20 and export the songs to Rock Band 3. There's probably at least 7½-10 songs one would want to buy separately, and once you get the game there's no reason not to try out the actual game.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Magnet;4810244 said:
    Because it's a fun game and you still feel like your actions in the game directly affect the music being played. (If you start missing notes on the guitar track, the guitar audio will drop out.) You're also able to play along to all of the instruments in one run in this game, whereas you only experience one or two instrument tracks per run with RB3.
    I have no doubt it'll be fun, in its own way. Well, maybe not in its own way, but in a different way that RB and GH are fun.
    Magnet;4810244 said:
    You seem fairly convinced that any rhythm games without peripherals are pointless. Have you played games like Parappa the Rapper, Amplitude, and Gitaroo Man? They can actually be quite fun experiences, much like playing Timesplitters without a gun in my hand still managed to be fun.

    True, I have not played any of those games, and again I concede that they may be fun, in their own way. Parappa was one of the more innovative games of its time from what I've heard. But I don't agree that it's as fun to play a peripheral-based game without the peripheral. I personally wouldn't have enjoyed Timesplitters or Area 51 or Duck Hunt without the gun. Maybe thats just me, and maybe I'm missing some detail about Blitz, having not laid hands to controller and experienced it, that makes it uniquely fun and appealing to my rhythm game fanhood. I'm just saying I don't get it.

    I'll have to rent it and see for myself I guess
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4810250 said:
    Its not going to be $50 though it will be $20 at most.

    I dont know what you mean by "trap". It trap that you got ~40 songs and a full game for $60?
    You'd think if it was a 'trap', he'd stop 'falling for it' instead of doing it three times.

    If he's done it three times, it looks like he buys them and doesn't realize they can export or something. But then...he keeps buying them.
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    I'll have to rent it and see for myself I guess
    It will have a demo, but you will not be able to "rent" it. I'm starting to think this guy has a fondness for bridges.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    For someone who's looked into it, he's completely ignorant to where it's appearing, moving the songs to RB3, and the prices it can be on said areas of appearance.


    Also, the racing part.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4810250 said:

    I dont know what you mean by "trap". It trap that you got ~40 songs and a full game for $60?


    Perhaps "trap" was a bit harsh, I meant that I now have 2 games that I don't play because I imported the tracks into RB3, a venue which I prefer over the GD and Lego RB2-based engines. And god, those Lego brick notes threw me off.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810260 said:
    Perhaps "trap" was a bit harsh, I meant that I now have 2 games that I don't play because I imported the tracks into RB3, a venue which I prefer over the GD and Lego RB2-based engines. And god, those Lego brick notes threw me off.

    You have what really matters from those games so what does it matter if you dont play the actual games anymore? Would that mean that RB1 and RB2 were also "traps"?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810260 said:
    Perhaps "trap" was a bit harsh, I meant that I now have 2 games that I don't play because I imported the tracks into RB3
    ...So? Are you acting like you were cheated out of money, even though now it's EASIER to access the songs from the discs?
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps the folklore allusion was too vague? Don't provide sustenance.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4810254 said:
    You'd think if it was a 'trap', he'd stop 'falling for it' instead of doing it three times.

    If he's done it three times, it looks like he buys them and doesn't realize they can export or something. But then...he keeps buying them.
    I bought them.... for the songs... cuz they're not available on DLC. Would've thought that was obvious. Which is my point, if I just wants the songs, why do I have to buy a whole game?
    GNFfhqwhgads;4810258 said:
    For someone who's looked into it, he's completely ignorant to where it's appearing, moving the songs to RB3, and the prices it can be on said areas of appearance.


    Also, the racing part.
    It looked like Mario Kart on the Rainbow Goshdarn Road, ok? It was a snarky comment
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Sorry you do not like it. I am sure your reasons are completely valid. Try the demo when the game is released, if you still feel the same way, do not buy it. Have a nice day.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4810261 said:
    You have what really matters from those games so what does it matter if you dont play the actual games anymore? Would that mean that RB1 and RB2 were also "traps"?

    Well, no cuz I had those prior and played them extensively. And furthermore, it's a traplike scenario because you have to pay for and import all the tracks, not just the ones you want. If they were DLC, I could just grab the ones I wanted.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810267 said:
    Which is my point, if I just wants the songs, why do I have to buy a whole game?
    Because Green Day's 3 albums would cost $20 a piece as DLC, plus the 7 singles could be up to $14, and if you got the Plus Version for $70, then you got all that, a free export, and $11 of DLC already released.

    LEGO, meanwhile, has 45 singles, 42 of which would have been standalone DLC(Queen songs go back in the Queen Pack, You Give Love would have waited until RB3 pack), so that's $84, instead of $50 + $10 export.

    Or LESS, if you got them for a deal. Why are you so determined to complain about saving money?
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810270 said:
    Well, no cuz I had those prior and played them extensively. And furthermore, it's a traplike scenario because you have to pay for and import all the tracks, not just the ones you want. If they were DLC, I could just grab the ones I wanted.

    Some people actually like the variety of having different games to buy. Lego RB is a work of art. In fact I believe all of the RB games have great appeal for everyone in one form or another. Blitz is just another offering to challenge the music loving fans. Trap? Maybe.....put me in that cage.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4810272 said:
    Because Green Day's 3 albums would cost $20 a piece as DLC, plus the 7 singles could be up to $14, and if you got the Plus Version for $70, then you got all that, a free export, and $11 of DLC already released.

    LEGO, meanwhile, has 45 singles, 42 of which would have been standalone DLC(Queen songs go back in the Queen Pack, You Give Love would have waited until RB3 pack), so that's $84, instead of $50 + $10 export.

    Or LESS, if you got them for a deal. Why are you so determined to complain about saving money?

    Because, what if I don't want ALL those tracks, just a few?

    You'd like a cheeseburger. JUST a cheeseburger. Burger King only offers cheeseburgers (hyopthetically) as part of a Value Meal with fries and a drink. You do not like BK fries and do not drink soda. See my point?

    Anyway it seems like we're off topic a bit here my friend. You said I didn't do enough research, so enlighten me. This is gonna be a DL game on the PSN and XBLA? Tell me, where is such information kept on the main page on this site?

    NM, I see it at the bottom there.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810289 said:
    Anyway it seems like we're off topic a bit here my friend. You said I didn't do enough research, so enlighten me. This is gonna be a DL game on the PSN and XBLA? Tell me, where is such information kept on the main page on this site?

    Are you trying to say they never said it was a downloadable game?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2012
    It's on the front page under "Rock Band Blitz". Or on the sidebar. Or every other thread on this forum.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    IIIIIIIII..... didn't see it. Oversight. I kinda skimmed it fast, looked at the video, and looked at some forum posts, none of which mentioned it was a DL. My foot tastes lilke bacon, incidentally...

    But anyway back to the topic. I have a followup philosophical question to all the defenders. Would you play this game and defend it so vehemently if it was called something else and made by a different company? IOW, not Rock Band affiliated?
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    Peripherals are rare and expensive. This is an easier way to push out to those who've sold their instruments/those who want to get into Rock Band, but don't want to make the gigantic step into entering the games.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4810302 said:
    But anyway back to the topic. I have a followup philosophical question to all the defenders. Would you play this game and defend it so vehemently if it was called something else and made by a different company? IOW, not Rock Band affiliated?
    Maybe we would. Or maybe we wouldn't have heard of it. Or maybe it wouldn't exist. Or maybe reasons it appeals to us include the Rock Band aesthetics and compatibility with over 3500 songs.
This discussion has been closed.