Everyone's First Impression Thread Extravaganza

www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Lex mentioned having one thread for first impressions so here it is. Have fun you crazy kids.

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4811145 said:
    At a glance, I wish I could be like Witticus.

Dont we all?
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4811121 said:
    Lex mentioned having one thread for first impressions so here it is. Have fun you crazy kids.

So, yes, as seen previously here and here we sort of had an influx of "first impressions" that amounted to a fairly okay discussion thread trend, though moderators sort of are not fond of trends and I understand that. That said, this thread is to maintain a dicussion front based on song's asked of, though I will suggest not to overclutter anything with influx of spamming song titles and links. It is imparitve to contain a fluid flow.

Also, Ryan, it would be lovely if you would be more patient as I had half of this written up by the time you posted your one sentence of very DEEP THOUGHT. No, I don't mean to antagonize I'm just kind of annoyed at the moment .I now know how bittersweet inventors feel to an extent.

--

Also, can we not patronize the spirit of the thread and not degrade it's usefulness? I mean we have had tons of useless non-discussion threads before and I intend this to be not one of those for a little while. :)
  • NucleoseNucleose Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Big post.

Game: Continuity

Close to beating it but I've played it for long enough to decide what I think of it. It's well designed in a few ways, one of my personal favorites being that constantly moving without thinking can be an oddly valid way to solve things. What I mean by that is that "getting stuck" is generally a non issue, and any problems you have making progress is really your own fault for not actually moving. Running around in circles is a thing that can happen but it's not hard to get out of.

Another thing I noticed that was curious but then well done, was that there were really strange dips in difficulty. I realize it was to introduce a new concept before really testing you, but I'm not sure if it was the best way to handle it. I think it's a great part of the design, but I still have mixed feelings about it.

I particularly appreciate these things because I am not great a puzzle games, so this is pretty well tailored to giving people levels to figure **** out without handing it to them on a silver platter, which I'm glad about. I don't particularly like it when games treat you like an idiot but I don't like when they think you know the games in and outs better than the designers.

TL;DR: Well designed and appealing puzzle platformer game, definitely worth recommending even to people who don't like that kind of thing

Senator John Dean - Never Fall Away

Nice piano intro, already catching my attention. The chord progression is nice, even if I feel like I've heard it a million times before. The vocals, nice sound. Melody is actually giving me some surprises. Mood change, not an unwelcome one. The rapping is cool, having trouble paying attention to the lyrics though. But that's my own problem. Vocal flourishes do a good job of keeping interest in an otherwise repetitive section. Lull in the action does a good job of bringing back the intro to make the song feel more unified. I'm enjoying this. The mastering is well done but seems to be a little less effective later for some reason, not sure why the vocal flourishes aren't as well leveled later on. The drums are a little much here in this lull. Again, I really do enjoy that melody and that they bring it back.

TL;DR: Enjoyable song, easy to listen to, good material and good job of making repeated phrases different. I dig it.

Eastern Standard Time - Eye Of The Storm

Nice harmonies by the brass at the beginning. Very laid back sound. The vocal style is SLIGHTLY reminiscent of reggae sounds. The upbeat guitar common in ska and etc. contributes to that anyway. Nice phrasing too, I appreciate that they sometimes have instruments just not play during a part of a phrase being repeated. Whoa this song is going by pretty quickly. The solo is not really doing much for me. Some switches in harmony or progression would've helped here, in my opinion. It just feels like a generic sax solo. The return of the singing and funky guitar is very welcome. Nice melancholic feeling given by the chorus.

TL;DR: Nice laidback song with a lackluster sax solo, could've done without it or at least a more creative one.

Rotterdam Ska-Jazz Foundation - St. James Infirmary

Another interesting intro. After that very initial intro, a bit disappointing until the end of the phrase where the minor chords give a good feeling. So far this solo's not bad. Again another position where some switching up of chords would be nice, given that the progression isn't particularly interesting. Trombone solo is way funner that sax solo hahaha, I love a good trombone solo. Another sax is in here now, why is it so much less interesting than the trombone I don't understand. No we're cool the trombone is back. You're always welcome here trombone guy. Repeating that intro riff, cool, cool. Good thing it's cool. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to say this song falls pretty flat, it doesn't do much with what it's set up. It might seem like I require tons of different chords in a song but what I really prefer is when people take the chords they put together and maximize that potential. I don't feel that here. I feel an impromptu lackluster improv session with one guy that really knows how to play trombone.

TL;DR: Trombones are great everyone else go home.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    Listen to Frankenstein, dammit. I've told you to listen to it twice and you've been MIA both times :I
    edited July 2012
    Jesus christ fine

The Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein

Nice opening riff very telling of the style and genre. I can't help but be reminded of H.T., the opening theme to Trigun in that sense. This song really knows how to keep that groove going, and the auxilary instruments are doing a fantastic job of adding to the song. Drums are very good too, that performer sure as hell knows how to have fun. The wobbly synth is a bit unnecessary though, and way louder than some parts of the song so whatever. It transitions into an interesting section though, that I definitely enjoy. Back into that intro riff and end, very good unified song.

TL;DR: Not much to say about it either way, it is what it is and does it well. Good song with catchy riffs, but it can very easily be a turnoff if you're not into that style, since it pulls off a lot of the stereotypes of that style.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    I like your reviews better than anything Cipher has ever written. I'm sorry for acting like putting the bar that low is a compliment, but it is.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4811297 said:
    Listen to Frankenstein, dammit. I've told you to listen to it twice and you've been MIA both times :I

How's it supposed to be a "first impressions" thread if the review material is something everyone here's heard?
    edited July 2012
    Nooky's never listened to it before. And I was aiming that at him :p
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4811334 said:
    Nooky's never listened to it before. And I was aiming that at him :p

I'm pretty sure he would have before, unless he has claimed this.
    edited July 2012
    I've known him for 7 years. He has not listened to this before.

If he has, I'll eat my headphones.
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4811342 said:
    I've known him for 7 years. He has not listened to this before.

If he has, I'll eat my headphones.

The guy who's really musically open and knows a lot of music... hasn't heard one of Edgar Winter's most popular songs? I call shenanigans.

But if he says that he hasn't listened to it, then I'll shut my face.
    edited July 2012
    Just asked him if it was his first time and he said "I think it was, I can't say for sure."

Dammit, Nuc.

Anyway, next request (open to everyone) is "Where The Lines Overlap" by Paramore. My favorite Paramore deep cut.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4811334 said:
    Nooky
    Yeaaaaah...
    I was aiming that at him :p
    Take it easy, Brokeback.
    edited July 2012
    I haven't listened to it before. I'm pretty musically varied when it comes to other fields. I can't know everything, as sad as it is. And I am glad people like what I write, I was honestly not expecting that.

Also sorry Cipher I don't have much to say about that song. It's a Paramore song, pretty consistent with other things they've done. I like it, but will admit that there is nothing that stands out about it because it sounds like everything else they've done.
    edited July 2012
    If it helps at all, Nooky is a nickname an old forum called me all the time over voice conferences, pronounced N-oo-kee, rather than nucky like it should be. That was a thing Cipher picked up from other people rather than a godawful cheesy homoerotic pet name that I wouldn't let anyone call me otherwise.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited July 2012
    edited July 2012
    Cipher did it all for his Nooky
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited July 2012
    I don't get this thread bruther? Does that count as my first impression dude?
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    Hey nobody in particular, talk about your first impression about both this song and video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFBdMlT2R3A
    edited July 2012
    My first impression is that its garbage because its the censored version
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    The video is censored, not the song
    edited July 2012
    doesnt matter. NO CENSORSHIP!
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    Paramore -- Where The Lines Overlap

I actually used to be pretty interested in Paramore, but that was more due to the musical chemistry between Zac Farro and Jeremy Davis who are extremely capable pop-rock musicians. In 2007 when Riot came out I was maybe 19 or 18, so my musical experiences to that point had some hold on that. But by the time Brand New Eyes came out, which was pretty much an attempt to recapture Paramore's influences (Jimmy Eat World in particular), I was a little older with a progressing, changing taste. I was practically done with Paramore. Brand New Eyes as an album felt stale and dull, the rhythm was weak and the production buried any of the distinctness Paramore created with their previous record. Individually, this song feels recycled and has no existing build-up nor a conclusive climax. It's just there, like many songs off this record it's produced in my opinion rather amateurishly and it has no pull. Williams does what she's been doing for years and at the end of the day is if you like or can deal with her limited vocal style. At this point, I say I can't even deal with it anymore.

[DISLIKE]
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4811375 said:
    Cipher did it all for his Nooky

So he could take that cookie.

I'll probably end up putting a lot more underground artists from Newgrounds here like I did with SJD.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited July 2012
    you have all horrible taste in music and my taste is the bestest.
    edited July 2012
    ooooooooh yeah, lol!
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    Does that mean I don't have a horrible taste in music?
    edited July 2012