DirectTV gets rid of all Viacom channels.

TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
edited July 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
MTV, Nickelodeon, they're all gone. I fell asleep with Nick at Nite on, and woke up to have Nickelodeon vanish from my TV.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/viacom-directv-channel-blackout/?utm_source=Engadget&utm_medium=twitter

I should've gone with Comcast...

Comments

• edited July 2012
    It wont last long. Optimum lost all Scripps Network channels before (Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel) it only lasted a week. Same thing happened when we lost all Disney channels including ABC the week before the Oscars. It came back in the middle of the Oscars.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Fox, Disney Channel, and G4 are all necessary in my book.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited July 2012
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    I only watch G4 occasionally. Other than that it's ESPN, FOX, TBS, Comedy Central, and FX.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I only watch Nickelodeon for Nick at Nite (Mostly cause of Friends and the occasional George Lopez.) and a few other shows. And I do watch Comedy Central a bit too. (My aunt hates stuff like South Park though.)
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, this probably won't last long at all. Things like this have happened before.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    Cable? Whats that?
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4813996 said:
    Cable? Whats that?
    lol netflix
    edited July 2012
    dragoninforcer;4814021 said:
    lol netflix

Netflix > Cable
  • edited July 2012
    www1221;4813996 said:
    Cable? Whats that?

It's like Netflix but more expensive and you cant pick what's on.
    edited July 2012
    They both have their own perks.
    edited July 2012
    No commercials and not having to wait a week between episodes in a season for $9 a moth seems like all of the perks I need
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    My brother was telling me about this and it made me laugh

Apparently on the Viacom stations, DirecTV started running banners on the bottom of the screen that channels such as Disney are attempting to raise the prices on televising their channels, forcing YOU, the viewer, to pay more to DirecTV. Viacom, in retaliation, started showing their own 15 second ads between shows to explain that Viacom's prices are still the same and DirecTV is trying to increase their prices on their own accord
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I can't wait until one business and marketing genius figures out a way to get everyone to agree to per-channel subscriptions. I don't have cable, and don't miss it, but I'd gladly pay $30/month if I could get the 3 channels-I-really-want-but-don't-want-to-pay-$90-for-them-and-300-other-crap-channels.

Netflix and bars/friends/family for sports is all I really need.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2012
    I don't watch TV at all, but I'd love to be a fly-on-the-wall during future talks between DirectTV and Viacom. They're going to be more awkward than a visit to the fundie inlaws.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4814028 said:
    No commercials and not having to wait a week between episodes in a season for $9 a moth seems like all of the perks I need
    Instead of having to wait a week between episodes, you have to wait until long after the whole season is over. And they lose the rights to stuff all the time.
    edited July 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4814096 said:
    Instead of having to wait a week between episodes, you have to wait until long after the whole season is over. And they lose the rights to stuff all the time.

The season thing is fine its waiting between episodes that kills me.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I rarely watch cable TV anymore, and for any show I care about, I can always get them online.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    i got read of dish long ago and never been happier.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2012
    I'm not too fussed about it. The only channel that got pulled that I watch with any frequency is Comedy Central and that's just for The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park and new Futurama and if I really wanted to watch those I can find them on-line.

I don't think this will last long. One side will eventually cave into the other. A part of me is hoping it will be Viacom because, barring Comedy Central, the content on all of their other channels is crap and they know it's crap and they don't deserve to get more money for churning out more crap. Hell, with the exceptions of the shows I mentioned, CC has a lot of crap on it, too.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Makes me glad I have Dish Network for the moment. Comedy Central, ESPN, and NFL Network are my go to channels to watch.
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited July 2012
    Our local Comcast is doing similar stuff, but instead of just eliminating channels they're locking a bunch of them to require a cable box. Luckily they're hilariously inept and inadvertently seem to have unencrypted a bunch of their digital channels, so it's a wash for me as to what's available to watch. Heck, there are even HD versions of Discovery, USA, and AMC if you scan the crazy numbered channels! :D
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Ha DirectTV, Dish Network is so much better.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    Dish Network doesn't have Red Zone Channel so I simply cannot agree
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    HeyRiles;4814242 said:
    Dish Network doesn't have Red Zone Channel so I simply cannot agree

old spice has a channel?
  • JBlack240JBlack240 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    Everyone knows that Time Warner is king.
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Bright House in da house.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4814283 said:
    Everyone knows that Time Warner is king.
    Bulzeeb;4814385 said:
    Bright House in da house.

I don't think we have those here in Philly. (Not sure about Warner, but I remember Bright House being Florida only or something.)
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    I doubt this will last long, but I work for AT&T installing U-Verse. If it sticks I am going to be so. freaking. busy this summer.