Become a playtester (maybe)?

OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
edited July 2012 in The Rock Band Network
I've been mulling over this idea for a little while and I thought I'd share it here to see if anyone thinks it's any good.

A few times before, authoring groups have 'sponsored' playtesters by providing them with XNA subscriptions in return for them providing playtesting on Creators on the author's songs, or on their behalf. I'm thinking of doing something similar, but with a more selective recruitment method - giving out the stems to a track, having people review the authoring, and selecting those with the highest level of feedback. Essentially a playtesting 'competition' where the best entries win an XNA subscription. Would there be any interest from people on here for that kind of thing?

Comments

  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    That sounds like a cool idea.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Hmm, I like that idea.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited July 2012
    It's an interesting idea, but are there any groups who will be willing to hand out copies of their master stems to just anyone?
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited July 2012
    LoopyChew;4813910 said:
    It's an interesting idea, but are there any groups who will be willing to hand out copies of their master stems to just anyone?

    I'm thinking the stems thing isn't safe at all myself.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Neat idea, if you can get a band to cooperate. There actually are a number of unsigned and semi-pro acts who have willingly passed out stems, even providing download links in their YouTube videos, so I doubt that would be a problem.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    Sounds like a good idea to me
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    Actually, I was thinking of writing and recording a short piece myself. That way I would have a very good understanding of how it 'should' be charted. It might be possible to get an RBN-friendly artist on board though.

    Thanks for the responses, but as an additional query how many of you would actually enter something like this? Just trying to separate "do you think this is a good idea?" from "would you actually take part yourself?".
  • ZemanatorZemanator Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    I back this idea, assuming you have permission to distribute the stem(s) required, it could have very good results

    EDIT: ninja'd because i forgot to hit the submit button.

    recording something yourself is the best way to go. I hope this takes off, the more testers around the merrier
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    I'd probably try my hand at some testing. I've never done it before but you gotta start somewhere.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2012
  • Chopper13Chopper13 Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    I would participate if I had the chance
  • DLCquickplayDLCquickplay Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    I don't think he would've proposed this if he didn't think he could get stems for people to practice on. But...

    If this helps:

    http://drugstorefanatics.com/page.php?id=2

    Also here:

    http://remix.nin.com/
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    I 100% back this. We need more good playtesters over on the RBN side of things. We've got so many songs, and we can't get all of them released error free without the help of some playtesters that will actually look for the errors.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I think this is a great idea. I first got in to the RBN winning runner up in Rose of Jericho's playtester contest a couple of years ago.

    If Kario hasn't selected his 2 playtesters yet like he said he would, you might want to see if he'd let you have the two codes to select them through this contest.

    EDIT: Do they really need the stems? They won't have those when testing.
  • ASPKevASPKev Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    TubaDude49;4814396 said:
    I think this is a great idea. I first got in to the RBN winning runner up in Rose of Jericho's playtester contest a couple of years ago.

    If Kario hasn't selected his 2 playtesters yet like he said he would, you might want to see if he'd let you have the two codes to select them through this contest.

    EDIT: Do they really need the stems? They won't have those when testing.

    Doing it with the stems would bypass the requirement of an XNA account to test. Which makes sense for this, as it'd be odd to have a dozen people (or however many people enter) share a sponsored XNA account if they aren't affiliated with a studio yet.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Ah. When Matt did it he just threw up a set of videos up on Youtube for the testers to go through the process on.
  • ASPKevASPKev Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    I think the only downside to doing that is you aren't able to isolate the stem in case it's difficult to hear what's going on. At least if you were testing in game, you could just lower the backing instruments.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    TubaDude49;4814407 said:
    Ah. When Matt did it he just threw up a set of videos up on Youtube for the testers to go through the process on.
    That was my first thought, but to properly emulate what people would have in playtesting I'd need to upload videos for every difficulty of every instrument with reduced backing instrument volume, something like 20+ videos if I used all of G/B/D/V/K. Much easier to provide stems, but with the cautionary note that having stems makes things a lot easier than it would normally be when playtesting.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Oscarvarium;4814468 said:
    That was my first thought, but to properly emulate what people would have in playtesting I'd need to upload videos for every difficulty of every instrument with reduced backing instrument volume, something like 20+ videos if I used all of G/B/D/V/K. Much easier to provide stems, but with the cautionary note that having stems makes things a lot easier than it would normally be when playtesting.

    Fair enough.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I wish I had time to come back and playtest/review again. Then again, if I did, I'd make Oscar send me those ten codes he owes me. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.