Alternate History Analysis (with EU3)

GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
edited July 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I've always been a big fan of alternate histories and I've been reading some scenario's lately as well as playing Europa Universalis 3, it's basically like RISK if anyone here has ever played that lovely board game and it's got me to thinking? What would these things I'm effectively doing different from historical canon do? This is the thread to ask that question and get a understanding of it. In that I understand this will be a sparsely populated thread because it's a little niche thing and "lolboring".

So... it's a history nerd's wet dream effectively. I'm going to start with some explanations of a few events that have happened in my EU3 campaign as of the current date in game and I have pictures! But firstmost, here's some the vanilla history of 1400AD.

Historical Canon
British Isles
Western Europe
Eastern Europe (Balkans)
Japan

With that generally established, we pretty much now the scene.

1) Japan is in it's feudal era with Minamoto and Fujiwara being the most distinct shogunate leading their respective lands, though others still exist and the emperor of Japan still keeps some semblance of stability.

2) In the balkan's, the Byzantine Empire is about 50 years from collapsing, which was a pretty big rallying cry against the Ottoman-led muslims. It's pretty splintered to all hell, with the Hungary-Translyvanian union pretty much being the only non-muslim power to do anything.

3) Italy is pretty much in a few different places and really post-Byzantium Rome is a mess.

4) France is at ends with Burgandy, Brittainy & England, it is a mess but this isn't a big thing. I'm pretty sure France's struggle with itself and it's neighbors is pretty much a given.

5) Castillian Spain is there with it's neighbors Granada, Aragon and Portugal. It's about to invade one of those neighbors, the muslim-led Granada which had meek alliances at the time, so it really never stood a chance.

6) Ireland isn't unified and had no alliances, so it pretty much indoctrinated itself when England imposed themselves upon it in the relative timeline.

--

With the historical fact (to a sloppy, 10am extent) set there, here's some of the variables, info and outcomes for my timeline that I would LOVE to discuss the ramifications of:

France - Seeing an opportunity, France strikes an alliance with the irish province of Leinster and supports them fully to ensure they had enough pull to perhaps keep England itself at bay.

Spain - What Castille's government didn't quite realize in this hypothetical was that in attacking Granada instead of just upsetting two tiny alliances every Sunni in northern africa took it as a rallying cry to defend the existence of Granada and beat Castille into the dirt with sheer numbers, faith and power. This ultimately succeeded and granted Granada full control of Iberia. However, this in turn would justify a christian crusade not too long after and with Castillian loyalists in Gallica it would begin a rocky relationship in europe.

Greece - The byzantine empire was struggling and they knew it, for how long could one city hold out against an empire? In addition to this disease and famine plagues the hungarian border which the invading Ottoman's use as a catapult for them to take hold of minor kingdoms like Serbia. Epirus see's this as a eerie calling and seeing the revolutionaries in Rome, rise up in civil union with Montenegro, Corfu, Naxos, Achaea and Crete with one goal in mind. Revitalize the values of survival in their history. Looking back to Ancient Greece the new Epirus union begins to make its stand.

Italy - A revolutionary peasant who is deemed a "caesar" comes to existence in Tuscany and takes the province by storm. In this stride, the Rev. Tuscany seizes Rome and begins to put in the foothill of a new empire and with the sight of Epirus rising and Byzantium falling it is only seen as more fuel for them. However, upon this unjust theft of Rome, northern provinces like Milan group in union to put a stop to this. Naples in the south however sees Epirus more of a threat....

Greece - Naples & Provence invade Epirus.

France - Southern french forces assault Provence while the bulk of their forces are overseas in Epirus due to a contract with Naples. The remaining power of Provence isn't enough to halt France's claim.

Burgandy - Burgandy takes advantage of France's focus on Provence and pushes in central and eastern France.

England - England invades Ireland causing the french-alligned and prepared provinces to unite and prepare to work on defending their homeland. Seeing England afronted on many ends (ireland, france, etc) Scotland takes this as a hint to invade England's countryside.

Denmark - Denmark starts an assertive imperialism campaign along the northern coast stretching out to Holland.

Japan - Feudal Japan is struck by an idea the emperor had not expected Minamoto to take as fellow shogunate Tachibana alligns with an idea for a "new" Japan, one built for the people. This forces Taira and Fujiwara to unite and prepare for a battle of feudal tradition against revolutionary heresy.

--

So, what do you think aforementioned historical alternate events actually do throughout the oncoming 1400s? or beyond?

Comments