Beware The Batman Cartoon Series: Joker-Free

arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Beware the Batman will join the DC Nation block on Cartoon Network next year, and producers Glen Murakami and Mitch Watson said it will be fresh take on the popular superhero. IGN talked to the pair before the DC Nation panel at Comic-Con about what to expect.

They duo told us they really want to get back to Batman’s detective roots. Watson says this series will be different in three prominent ways: “One: it’s the first CGI Batman show which is a huge part of it. Two: we’re taking Batman far back into his roots of being a detective. At its core, the show is a procedural. Even though Batman has his gadgets and his gear and his cars, at his core, it’s about a guy looking at clues and figuring things out and putting the pieces together so that ultimately he can solve the crime with his brain as opposed to just with his fists. And the third biggest difference is that you’re not going to see any villains that have ever been shown before in any animated show. There’s no Joker, Penguin, or Riddler. It’s all new villains pulled from the DC universe who are either well known or not known at all. All of those things give the show a completely different feel than shows in the past.”

Since the regular rogue's gallery is out of the picture, you can expect to see Pig and Toad, Anarchy, Metamorpho, Humpty Dumpty, and Magpie among others. Another departure from the typical Batman is his choice of partner. Murakami says she is not a sidekick. “There’s a reason Katana was brought in; there’s a connection with Alfred… She never really becomes a sidekick, she has a past.” He confirmed the Soultaker storyline will play a part. Regarding Katana, he also said, “I don’t think we’re changing it just to change it. I think we’re trying to find new takes on the character, and we want a different dynamic.” Also, Katana is an inspiration for Barbara Gordon in the series. Murakami said, “When she sees Katana in action, it’s her first inkling that girls can do that kind of stuff.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/16/comic-con-beware-the-batman-will-focus-on-detective-skills-and-leave-out-the-usual-villains-like-joker

How does this make you feel?

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    It's going to be different, I'm already aware that they are focusing on Batman's rich and expansive rogues gallery over the same a-class superstars and I'm sort of glad to see that. What I'm not hyped about is the 3D.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited July 2012
    I think it's being different for the sake of being different because they know it would be extremely difficult to top Batman: The Animated Series.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited July 2012
    There's a legitimate reason for one of those villains not to show up.

Those new villains sound...pretty bad.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited July 2012
    I'd have rather seen a new Batman cartoon more like this. Perhaps they'll let Batman use a gun and set his foes on fire since that came from the 1940's comics.
  • SinValorSinValor Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    I doubt this new Batman cartoon's gonna go anywhere, mainly because you can't help thinking Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Catwoman, Scarecrow or even The Clock King (yes) when the word Batman comes to mind.

Chances are these 'new villains from the DC Universe' will be really obscure characters...like The Clock King, but then again, it could be anyone's guess.

Did I forget to mention The Clock King BTW? Well I'll just let you about that then.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited July 2012
    Well I don't know any of these characters, but based on the names, here's what I'm expecting to see from them:

Pig and Toad: A married hillbilly couple. No superpowers but Toad enjoys licking various types of frogs to give her different psychedelic powers against Batman depending on the frog licked.

Anarchy: A bass guitarist who was kicked out of a Blink-182 tribute band and now vows revenge on everybody who enjoys music by smashing his bass over people's noggins.

Metamorpho: A human caterpillar whom has the ability to pupate itself. If Batman doesn't stop him in 3 to 4 weeks, he emerges to his butterfly form and Gotham's nectar supply will be in critical state.

Humpty Dumpty: An obese 30 year old man who carries a giant spoon for a weapon and controls a series of henchmen which reference to nursery rhymes. He want's nothing more but to turn Gotham into a fantasy village.

Magpie: The Penguin's younger, less sophisticated and less motivated brother. Rather an umbrella with various different gadgets, Magpie's choice of weapon is a rolled-up newspaper.
    edited July 2012
    FlyGuyLXI;4829690 said:
    Well I don't know any of these characters, but based on the names, here's what I'm expecting to see from them:

Pig and Toad: A married hillbilly couple. No superpowers but Toad enjoys licking various types of frogs to give her different psychedelic powers against Batman depending on the frog licked.

Anarchy: A bass guitarist who was kicked out of a Blink-182 tribute band and now vows revenge on everybody who enjoys music by smashing his bass over people's noggins.

Metamorpho: A human caterpillar whom has the ability to pupate itself. If Batman doesn't stop him in 3 to 4 weeks, he emerges to his butterfly form and Gotham's nectar supply will be in critical state.

Humpty Dumpty: An obese 30 year old man who carries a giant spoon for a weapon and controls a series of henchmen which reference to nursery rhymes. He want's nothing more but to turn Gotham into a fantasy village.

Magpie: The Penguin's younger, less sophisticated and less motivated brother. Rather an umbrella with various different gadgets, Magpie's choice of weapon is a rolled-up newspaper.

Whatever personality these characters get in the end, you're pretty damn accurate.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012

what the hell? I feel insulted by this assumption.
  • edited July 2012
    KILLER MOTH!!!!!

except a butterfly.
    edited July 2012
    Now that I think about it, those character descriptions will make more sense than the actual personalities in the show.
  • arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
    edited July 2012
    FlyGuyLXI;4829690 said:

Magpie's a gal, she was probably chosen to replace Harley since Quinn might not make an appearance like the Joker won't.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpie_%28comics%29
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    Lowlander2;4819727 said:
    Those new villains sound...pretty bad.

they aren't new villains, though. these are characters that comic readers (you know, real Batman fans) already know.
    Anarchy and Pig & Toad will be very interesting to see outside of the pages and panels, especially if they want to focus on Bruce, the Detective.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited July 2012
    this seems interesting... LEGO batman and Batman: Arkham Asylum made me realized there are more villians in the batman universe beside The Joker, The Penguin, and The Riddler...
    edited July 2012
    firedoom666;4831490 said:
    this seems interesting... LEGO batman and Batman: Arkham Asylum made me realized there are more villians in the batman universe beside The Joker, The Penguin, and The Riddler...

What about The Animated Series? I didn't know about The Mad Hatter, Hugo Strange and The Clock King when they introduced them.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited July 2012
    I never watched them
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    If they really want people to forget about the campiness of "The Brave And The Bold", they should bring in Victor Zsaz as the main antagonist. Nothing says darker Batman adaptation quite like a serial killer lurking Gotham that makes gashes on his body representing the number of people he killed.
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    firedoom666;4831512 said:
    I never watched them

You never watched The Animated Series?
    What's it like to never have had a childhood?