Brony Authoring Group - Request Thread

edited July 2013 in The Rock Band Network
Hello Bronies and non-bronies alike!

Feel free to leave some requests for any Brony Artists or songs you would like to see! Also please remember that in no way does getting a bunch of requests promise that the song will be released but we will try our best!

Head on over to our News & Announcements Thread for any new release information.

-----------------------

Before you make a request, make sure you take a look at this post to see what artists we can confirm are currently not interested in releasing their songs on the Rock Band Network.

Comments

• FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2012
    DerekE;4821298 said:
    We're trying to work with the artists out there who classify themselves as bronies in public on a general basis, and make original music inspired by the show.

And within that group there are lots of different artists all over the genre spectrum. Comparing them as a whole to a single artist like Parry Gripp is a bit silly.

My humble opinion, of course.
  • svfd615svfd615 Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    NEEDS MORE TARBY that is all
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited July 2012
    Bront20;4820595 said:
    Get the songs from the actual show (Duh).

Yeah, this guy! I take it you guys are going mostly for the fan-made content? There are only a few fan-made songs I've imagined that I would want to play in RB, but whatever you guys can get out will probably be stellar.

Have you gotten into any talks with Hasbro or Daniel Ingram? And would any songs featuring samples from the show infringe on copyrights?
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    BohemianMatt;4821433 said:
    Have you gotten into any talks with Hasbro or Daniel Ingram? And would any songs featuring samples from the show infringe on copyrights?

I can answer this one a bit.

Samples/covers from the show can't be used in fan-made songs released on RBN without permission from Hasbro. They'd have to be removed or worked around somehow. Album art featuring show characters are also restricted, which is why Discord had special art created for it instead of the original featuring the title character and the artist's original pony.

As for Hasbro, well...who knows? Something may happen. You never know.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2012
    DerekE;4821088 said:
    As much as we would LOVE to do this, I'm afraid there are some licensing issues with this, and Hasbro isn't very cool when it comes licensing. We can try to talk to them about it, but I wouldn't expect any good news. Thanks for giving us some requests though!
    Oh, I figured it would be a problem, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Good luck. I'm not in the Brony scene, but if I find anything the little one might like, I'm always willing to snag it.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    http://soundcloud.com/nathaniel-whitlock/rainbow-dash

I would like to give you a song to author. It's called Rainbow Dash. (I know it's not all that good at the beginning, but it gets better later in the song. Trust me. Don't worry, I have the MIDI I can send you. :)
  • svfd615svfd615 Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah if you guys get something broke i will love you forever
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited July 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4821846 said:
    I would like to give you a song to author. It's called Rainbow Dash.

Copyrightable names could be a problem. The Discord song probably (barely) skirts around that because his name is a single word that other fictional characters have been named before, and the song doesn't describe anything that makes it specifically about him, at least not in the legal sense. I suspect a more unique name like Rainbow Dash would be more of an issue.
  • DerekEDerekE Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    FujiSkunk;4823694 said:
    Copyrightable names could be a problem. The Discord song probably (barely) skirts around that because his name is a single word that other fictional characters have been named before, and the song doesn't describe anything that makes it specifically about him, at least not in the legal sense. I suspect a more unique name like Rainbow Dash would be more of an issue.

This ^ .. We're really trying our best to avoid getting songs that have that issue. We want this to be a smooth ride for all of us, and I'm sure Harmonix wants it that way as well.

Lyrics are a bit of a different story, although it's not too far off. There are some proper names that CAN get through... Except we don't want to really push that too hard either.
    edited July 2012
    FujiSkunk;4823694 said:

Oh, well that's a disappointment. I didn't know... I don't really know what the licensing on cartoon character's names are and all. Ok.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    DerekE;4823724 said:
    This ^ .. We're really trying our best to avoid getting songs that have that issue. We want this to be a smooth ride for all of us, and I'm sure Harmonix wants it that way as well.

Lyrics are a bit of a different story, although it's not too far off. There are some proper names that CAN get through... Except we don't want to really push that too hard either.

Album artwork will also be a concern. At least, going off the change for Discord from original to in-game.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4823735 said:
    Oh, well that's a disappointment. I didn't know... I don't really know what the licensing on cartoon character's names are and all. Ok.

I'm pretty sure HMX cleared all the lyrics for "Raichu a Song", and "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life" passed, so you should be good.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited July 2012
    TubaDude49;4823767 said:
    I'm pretty sure HMX cleared all the lyrics for "Raichu a Song", and "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life" passed, so you should be good.
    But not "Yuri the Only One" or "Aquaman's Lament", so don't take anything for granted.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Oscarvarium;4823782 said:
    But not "Yuri the Only One" or "Aquaman's Lament", so don't take anything for granted.

As in Yuri the Only One by LeetStreet Boys? If so, that makes me super sad :(
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    Heh heh, your authoring group is BAG
    edited July 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4823762 said:
    Album artwork will also be a concern. At least, going off the change for Discord from original to in-game.

Well, it was going to be part of an album which artwork didn't have any MLP in it. (The album isn't all that MLP focused.)
    TubaDude49;4823767 said:

I'm still a little nervous, though. I tried to see if they had some kind of license or something, but I couldn't find anything on it, which makes me less comfortable with this situation.
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    TubaDude49;4823767 said:
    Wait. Raichu a Song is on RBN?! How did I not know about this? I've wanted them to put out Draining the Lizard on RBN since I heard it.
    Also more on topic, about how much could we get away with name dropping in a song? Cause I'd like to say pony names in the song I'm writing. If I can't then I'll work around it but I'd like to be able to give names and short blurbs about them.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4823825 said:
    Well, it was going to be part of an album which artwork didn't have any MLP in it. (The album isn't all that MLP focused.)

Yea, I just bring it up since many on Bandcamp do incorporate official characters into the artwork. Could be a little bit of a thing.
    edited July 2012
    I'm wondering if I could at least release an instrumental version, but that would still leave the name, which I would have to change. But, then again, wouldn't be all that brony would it, unless the name is still brony.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Wait, didn't Console Wars by DROUX get away with mentioning Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and their consoles?
    edited July 2012
    TylerFG;4824654 said:
    Wait, didn't Console Wars by DROUX get away with mentioning Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and their consoles?

I can't find that in the catalog, so I don't think it did.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. It Console War. (Not plural.) Yes, I think it did.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4824660 said:
    I can't find that in the catalog, so I don't think it did.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. It Console War. (Not plural.) Yes, I think it did.

It's on the Xbox from the RBN.

And yes, it got away with all of that. But it's still probably a safe idea to ask Lachesis or someone from HMX who would be able to determine the possibility. Though I personally think it wouldn't be any harder than saying any other brand, such as Chevy or Dorito's.
    edited July 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4824661 said:
    It's on the Xbox from the RBN.

And yes, it got away with all of that. But it's still probably a safe idea to ask Lachesis or someone from HMX who would be able to determine the possibility. Though I personally think it wouldn't be any harder than saying any other brand, such as Chevy or Dorito's.

Yeah. Different people have different rules. I don't know though, I was considering renaming the song "Rainbows at the Speed of Light" and making it instrumental for the RBN, but I don't know if that would ruin it.

But then again, HMX can be the judge of whether the original can be released, or I would have to change it.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    Rainbow (Dash)

Problem solved.
    edited July 2012
    dragoninforcer;4824715 said:
    Rainbow (Dash)

Problem solved.

I can tell sarcasm when I see it. :P
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    dragoninforcer;4824715 said:
    Rainbow (Dash)

Problem solved.

Nah.
    "Rainbow -"
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited July 2012
    DeferredGalaxy3;4824735 said:
    I can tell sarcasm when I see it. :P

Eh, it was 50% sarcasm. It could work.
    TubaDude49;4824737 said:
    Nah.
    "Rainbow -"

Genius.
    edited July 2012
    So, will you take the instrumental named "Rainbows at the speed of light"?
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited July 2012
    Theoretically, if Proud To Be A Brony by BlackGryph0n had the lyrics changed so that the songs from the show weren't there (Main Theme, Winter Wrap Up, Art of the Dress, Cupcakes, etc.) as well as the quotes from the show, would the lyrics be passable? I say this because that's the kind of name-dropping lyrics I'm thinking of using somewhere in my song.
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    I was actually surprised there wasn't any brony music earlier.

The two tracks I want to see are Ken Ashcorp's "20 Percent Cooler" or FiMFlamFilosphy's "Rainbow Fun Factory". Even if I couldn't actually get them for my ownership (I'm on a Wii), I'd still want to see them get on the store.