Need some good Netflix recommendations.

edited July 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
So I decided to get Netflix again, I'm watching the first season of The Walking Dead, what else is good?

Comments

• nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Never Say Never
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited July 2012
    The Fly. Greatest masterpiece in film period.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2012
    It depends on what you're in the mood for. I just finished The Devil's Double which was awesome. Based on the true events of an Iraqi Lieutenant who's forced to be Uda Hussein's body double. It has the feel of a modern Scarface as we watch as he's pulled into a world of depravity and violence.

If you're into series they also currently have the Twin Peaks series. Created by David Lynch the story revolves around the murder of high schooler Laura Palmer. Everyone is a suspect and everyone is... let's just say offbeat. Including the lead FBI investigator. "Damn good coffee!" Even though it's 22 years old, the show is still edgy by todays standards.
  • edited July 2012
    Breaking Bad. If you like Walking Dead you'll love Breaking Bad.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    Do they still have Weeds? If so I recommend that.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited July 2012
    M_Robbins5;4824802 said:
    Do they still have Weeds? If so I recommend that.

Yes they do.

Breaking Bad
    Mad Men(haven't watched it myself but I hear it's good)
    Drive
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    Code Monkeys
    How I Met Your Mother
    Prison Break
    Burn Notice
    Law and Order:SVU

That should be a good start.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited July 2012
    They have every episode of Star Trek from all 6 series. Some movies.
    Firefly
    Lost
    Alot of WWE-owned documentaries and compilations from several federations
    Futurama
    The original Twilight Zone series

Plus tons of foreign stuff from all countries (they just added Battle Royale, should be required viewing, I'm talking to you, Cipher...)

And thats just the streaming.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited July 2012
    Hostel Part 3 bruther.
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4824859 said:

The original Twilight Zone series

For some reason season 4 is exempt.

In fact a few of the TV series are suspiciously missing episodes. Miami Vice and Wings both have episodes missing as well.
    edited July 2012
    Human Centipiede both parts
    edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521;4824874 said:
    For some reason season 4 is exempt.

In fact a few of the TV series are suspiciously missing episodes. Miami Vice and Wings both have episodes missing as well.

Theyre's definitely omissions. Sometimes they merge two seasons into one. The UK Shameless is in it's 8th or 9th season and the 'flix only had up to 5 last time I checked.
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4824876 said:

Again, required viewing
    edited July 2012
    www1221;4824876 said:
    ErikSarcasm;4824885 said:
    Again, required viewing

I seriously found them boring.

Of course I am from California.

Doc has made a human centipede except he painted his white and put racing flames on the side of it.
    edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521;4824904 said:
    I seriously found them boring.

Of course I am from California.

Doc has made a human centipede except he painted his white and put racing flames on the side of it.
    Well that's because of all the hype. By the time anyone saw the first one, we already knew what to expect. The second one had moments that were... surprising.

The first movie must look like a typical Saturday night in Malibu eh? I saw a poster in the Village here in NYC for a Human Centipede night at what I assumed was a BDSM club.... nope.jpg
    edited July 2012
    I knew nothing about the first one when I watched it.
    edited July 2012
    My complaint is that when you strip away the shock value and grotesque parts, the story is poorly written and the directing and acting subpar.

It's got the entertainment value of two girls, one cup. Which is to say it doesn't have any.
    edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521;4824947 said:
    My complaint is that when you strip away the shock value and grotesque parts, the story is poorly written and the directing and acting subpar.

It's got the entertainment value of two girls, one cup. Which is to say it doesn't have any.
    It was all shock and it was meant to be.

For a movie to be enjoyable for me it just has to do one thing well. like when people complain that the writing in Expendables was bad. I enjoyed it because big booms and what not.
    edited July 2012
    If it was all shock then crop it to under ten minutes and market it that way. Don't make me sit through 90 minutes of boredom expecting horror elements when all I'm going to get is a few minutes of AtM. (You can figure out what that is)

Again, from a cinematic standpoint it's got no more value than a gross out video on the internet.
    edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521;4824956 said:
    If it was all shock then crop it to under ten minutes and market it that way. Don't make me sit through 90 minutes of boredom expecting horror elements when all I'm going to get is a few minutes of AtM. (You can figure out what that is)

Again, from a cinematic standpoint it's got no more value than a gross out video on the internet.
    You can make the same argument for countless movies, video games, book and tv shows. It depends on how you approach it. Sometimes it's nice to turn the ol' brain off and watch some squick, or 'splosions or chop-socky. What were you expecting the first time you saw 2 girls 1 cup?
    edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4824958 said:
    You can make the same argument for countless movies, video games, book and tv shows. It depends on how you approach it. Sometimes it's nice to turn the ol' brain off and watch some squick, or 'splosions or chop-socky. What were you expecting the first time you saw 2 girls 1 cup?

I knew exactly what to expect, something unpleasant, therefor I chose not to watch it. HC markets itself as a horror film, something it's anything but.

So one can argue 2 girls and 1 cup is the better "film", at least it's not pretending to be something it's not.
  • edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4824883 said:
    Theyre's definitely omissions. Sometimes they merge two seasons into one. The UK Shameless is in it's 8th or 9th season and the 'flix only had up to 5 last time I checked.

Yay someone else who watches UK Shameless! I had to find 6-8 online but by the time 9 started Megavideo (and most other similar sites) went under. It was a pain in the ass to find but I managed to catch up.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Breaking Bad.

Other than that, I watch a lot of documentaries. My favorites so far are:

Senna
    Being Elmo
    Six Days to air: The Making of South Park
    Best Worst Movie
    Winnebago Man
  • edited July 2012
    Lawdog1521;4824762 said:
    It depends on what you're in the mood for. I just finished The Devil's Double which was awesome. Based on the true events of an Iraqi Lieutenant who's forced to be Uda Hussein's body double. It has the feel of a modern Scarface as we watch as he's pulled into a world of depravity and violence.

If you're into series they also currently have the Twin Peaks series. Created by David Lynch the story revolves around the murder of high schooler Laura Palmer. Everyone is a suspect and everyone is... let's just say offbeat. Including the lead FBI investigator. "Damn good coffee!" Even though it's 22 years old, the show is still edgy by todays standards.

I saw this, good movie, I'm gonna check out these recommendations
    www1221;4824830 said:
    Yes they do.

Breaking Bad
    Mad Men(haven't watched it myself but I hear it's good)
    Drive
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    Code Monkeys
    How I Met Your Mother
    Prison Break
    Burn Notice
    Law and Order:SVU

That should be a good start.

And some others that were suggested, thanks guys and keep em coming!
  • edited July 2012
    Cubecubed;4824976 said:
    Breaking Bad.

Other than that, I watch a lot of documentaries. My favorites so far are:

Senna
    Being Elmo
    Six Days to air: The Making of South Park
    Best Worst Movie
    Winnebago Man

I will check these out as well, thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    How many seasons of The Walking Dead did they make, there is only one season on Netflix!
  • edited July 2012
    mercuryshadow09;4824983 said:
    How many seasons of The Walking Dead did they make, there is only one season on Netflix!
    Season two ended in February or March. It will likely be up there the same week 3 starts.
  • edited July 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4824998 said:
    Season two ended in February or March. It will likely be up there the same week 3 starts.
    Okay, thanks!
    edited July 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4824971 said:
    Yay someone else who watches UK Shameless! I had to find 6-8 online but by the time 9 started Megavideo (and most other similar sites) went under. It was a pain in the ass to find but I managed to catch up.

Honestly, I gave up once I hit season 9. A few episodes in and I just forgot to dl them weekly and never bothered to catch up. After Paddy left it just wasn't as good.
  • edited July 2012
    ErikSarcasm;4825482 said:
    Honestly, I gave up once I hit season 9. A few episodes in and I just forgot to dl them weekly and never bothered to catch up. After Paddy left it just wasn't as good.

Season 9 really sucked but I blame that on my favorite character having a crappy send off. And after Paddy left it started to go down hill. I remember reading rumors that they were bringing Lip and Debbie back but they haven't yet.