Modern Pop Music is Boring -- Scientific Proof!

bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
It's not just my imagination, modern pop music really does all sound the same!

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120726/srep00521/full/srep00521.html

flame on.

Comments

• Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    bclewis;4828619 said:
    It's not just my imagination, modern pop music really does all sound the same!

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120726/srep00521/full/srep00521.html

flame on.

Very interesting article, thank you for linking it!

Of course when I think of boring modern pop music I think of Ke$ha, Gaga, Bieber, and a number of bands along the lines of Fall out Boy. I also loathe the evolution of 80s-early 90s Rap into today's Hip-Hop, along with the 70s-80s metal into the screaming/growling/play as fast as you can while you give your band an evil sounding name metal that seems to be more common every day (with ever expanding sub-genres).
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    You completely ignored the skewing in the sample pools AND the survivor bias.

The period of 1955-1959 has 2,200 songs representing it. 2005-2009 has 177,000 songs being used.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4828672 said:
    You completely ignored the skewing in the sample pools AND the survivor bias.

You're damn right I did, the conclusions support my opinions.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 2012
    I still like modern music and older music.

I don't see why people are always out to "prove" that music sucks. It's a matter of opinion, dammit!
    edited July 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4828684 said:
    I don't see why people are always out to "prove" that music sucks. It's a matter of opinion, dammit!

And your opinion isn't nearly inflammatory enough ;P

But in all seriousness, I thought that was an interesting study, whether you agree with the conclusions or not.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited July 2012
    bclewis;4828704 said:

But in all seriousness, I thought that was an interesting study, whether you agree with the conclusions or not.

Same here. I never said I agree or disagree with it's conclusions or methods, just found it to be interesting reading.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Also, it's pop music. Since it's made to cater to a large audience and make a lot of money, the similarities can be seen as a focus. The most optimal way to that goal.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2012
    I don't agree at all. I mean, I love 50s rockabilly, classic country, and 60s/70s R&B and doo-wop, but do you know how many of those songs use the same exact chord progression, tempo, melodies, etc.? Early rock n' rollers essentially made careers out of copying (this sounds like a cruel accusation, but I don't mean it as an insult) other musicians at the time. The same goes for blues. Sounds like people are just looking for excuses to insult modern music.
    edited July 2012
    Runesmith;4828908 said:
    I don't agree at all. I mean, I love 50s rockabilly, classic country, and 60s/70s R&B and doo-wop, but do you know how many of those songs use the same exact chord progression, tempo, melodies, etc.? Early rock n' rollers essentially made careers out of copying (this sounds like a cruel accusation, but I don't mean it as an insult) other musicians at the time.

Are you claiming the same is not true for more recent pop music?

The link below is not really a counter example, since it's looking at one artist, but I don't care because it's fun (sorry, couldn't find an ad-free link):
    http://fliiby.com/file/161484/ypzxf7n27y.html

[ for those that don't like following random links, that is pointing to a video of Australian comedy duo "SuperGirly" singing a mashup of two Britney Spears songs; recommended viewing for fans and anti-fans alike ]
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2012
    bclewis;4828921 said:
    Are you claiming the same is not true for more recent pop music?

The link below is not really a counter example, since it's looking at one artist, but I don't care because it's fun:
    http://fliiby.com/file/161484/ypzxf7n27y.html
    Absolutely not. I'm saying a lot of pop music is based on the same structure, regardless of era. That's the nature of pop music.
    edited July 2012
    Runesmith;4828924 said:
    Absolutely not. I'm saying a lot of pop music is based on the same structure, regardless of era. That's the nature of pop music.

Well, yeah, I don't think anyone would argue differently. The thesis of the article I posted is that homogeneity has increased in the last 50 years, rather than staying constant.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2012
    Runesmith;4828908 said:
    Early rock n' rollers essentially made careers out of copying (this sounds like a cruel accusation, but I don't mean it as an insult) other musicians at the time. The same goes for blues. Sounds like people are just looking for excuses to insult modern music.

I'd go a step further than you and say that out and out plagiarism was pretty much a given back then.

Again, though, to refer to "pop music" is a huge, huge element of vagueness, being highly subjective and also a moving target. I'd just go by music in general, in which case the overall level of complexity might be orders of magnitude greater in modern music.
    edited July 2012
    killer_roach;4829002 said:
    Again, though, to refer to "pop music" is a huge, huge element of vagueness, being highly subjective and also a moving target. I'd just go by music in general, in which case the overall level of complexity might be orders of magnitude greater in modern music.

Perhaps, though I think you may be underestimating the diversity of "music in general" 50 years ago.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2012
    bclewis;4829114 said:
    Perhaps, though I think you may be underestimating the diversity of "music in general" 50 years ago.

And people underestimate and assume much about modern music due to a plethora of ignorance and self-righteousness.
    I also loathe the evolution of 80s-early 90s Rap into today's Hip-Hop, along with the 70s-80s metal into the screaming/growling/play as fast as you can while you give your band an evil sounding name metal that seems to be more common every day
    Because modern hip-hop is just crunk, dirty south and pop rap renditions and modern metal only focuses upon extreme genres and metalcore. No, it doesn't, this is the kind of assumptive schlock that drives me up the wall.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4828684 said:
    I still like modern music and older music.

Noted
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2012
    Again, this phenomenon of songs sounding samey is pretty well-documented.

And that it's not comprehensive is further damning evidence.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Sargehalo51;4828659 said:
    Of course when I think of boring modern pop music I think of Ke$ha, Gaga, Bieber, and a number of bands along the lines of Fall out Boy.
    Shooting fish in a barrel on this part. That being said, I can agree to an extent about pop music being boring, although I like to think that it's more of the fact that these acts don't appeal to what I'm looking for musically and not just them being formulaic.
    I also loathe the evolution of 80s-early 90s Rap into today's Hip-Hop, along with the 70s-80s metal into the screaming/growling/play as fast as you can while you give your band an evil sounding name metal that seems to be more common every day (with ever expanding sub-genres).

And here is were you lost me. Tell me how this metal song and this metal song sound alike and are the description you posted above regarding a whole sub-genre of music?
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012
    Modern Pop Music is Boring -- Scientific Proof!
    I don't need no machine to tell me that.