Calibration - Same as RB3?

IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
edited October 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
Just a quick question for when we get around to calibrating our HDTVs for Rock Band Blitz:

Does Blitz use the same assumptions for latency that RB3 does (and therefore can we just copy over our RB3 settings to make it work)? And if so, does the game automatically detect a RB3 save and pull out the calibration configuration?

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    Or will it allow for the auto-guitar calibration, or let us adjust the calibration by single MS?

I like my 8/8 calibration, and would like to keep it.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited August 2012
    It's a different game engine, so one can't assume that the calibration numbers will be the same (I suspect they will be close, but really, who knows?) It's quick enough to calibrate.

We don't support the auto-guitar calibrator, nor do we pull in the numbers from RB3. We actually investigated the both, but neither was easy and in the end we decided the development time to support them could be better spent elsewhere (MOAR LAZERS!!1!!)
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4831647 said:
    (MOAR LAZERS!!1!!)

lazer power up confirmed?
    edited August 2012
    To be completely honest, there are fewer Lazers in Blitz than my heart wanted.
  • ErikSarcasmErikSarcasm Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Well one can never have enough lasers
  • edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4831935 said:

To also be completely honest, I was disappointed in Nord during development for not going rogue and putting all of his lasers in there anyway.
  • JibblypuffJibblypuff Pronounceable
    edited August 2012

;_;
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4831647 said:
    It's a different game engine, so one can't assume that the calibration numbers will be the same (I suspect they will be close, but really, who knows?) It's quick enough to calibrate.

We don't support the auto-guitar calibrator, nor do we pull in the numbers from RB3. We actually investigated the both, but neither was easy and in the end we decided the development time to support them could be better spent elsewhere (MOAR LAZERS!!1!!)
    Now that I think about it, because Blitz uses the standard controller (which there are many 3rd party models of), I can see why this didn't exactly work out. It definitely wouldn't work if someone were using something strange like a wired controller (actually I often play with my PS3 Dual Shock wired in simply to keep them charged).

On the other hand, yay MOAR LAZERS! Even if there aren't as many as desired, but that's what Rock Band Blitz 2: Electric Boogaloo will address, right?
    edited August 2012
    As long as they're mounted on sharks, we'll forgive you.
    edited August 2012
    Icemage;4832078 said:
    Now that I think about it, because Blitz uses the standard controller (which there are many 3rd party models of), I can see why this didn't exactly work out. It definitely wouldn't work if someone were using something strange like a wired controller (actually I often play with my PS3 Dual Shock wired in simply to keep them charged).
    FYI, I don't think it matters as far as the interface goes, I think it uses Bluetooth regardless.
    edited August 2012
    HMXPope;4832029 said:
    To also be completely honest, I was disappointed in Nord during development for not going rogue and putting all of his lasers in there anyway.

I love that you assume that I have a collection of lasers.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    HMXMister_Game;4833710 said:
    I love that you assume that I have a collection of lasers.

I make no assumptions...
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Bront20;4832324 said:
    FYI, I don't think it matters as far as the interface goes, I think it uses Bluetooth regardless.
    Are you sure? I know that if I disconnect the mini-USB wire from my Dual Shock 3 controller while it's plugged in and connected, it immediately disconnects and reconnects.

Also, you can plug in a totally un-charged controller and use it.

Granted, that could just be due to a different power circuit being enabled, but it seems silly to only use the power line on the mini-USB while it's connected when you could also be transmitting data (with less latency).

Also, while doing a bit of research when typing this reply, this article over on Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has some interesting things to say about controller latency; the standard Xbox 360 controller seems to be around 20ms, so there's definitely room for a wired controller to improve on that.
    edited August 2012
    Icemage;4834713 said:
    Are you sure? I know that if I disconnect the mini-USB wire from my Dual Shock 3 controller while it's plugged in and connected, it immediately disconnects and reconnects.

Also, you can plug in a totally un-charged controller and use it.

Granted, that could just be due to a different power circuit being enabled, but it seems silly to only use the power line on the mini-USB while it's connected when you could also be transmitting data (with less latency).

Also, while doing a bit of research when typing this reply, this article over on Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has some interesting things to say about controller latency; the standard Xbox 360 controller seems to be around 20ms, so there's definitely room for a wired controller to improve on that.
    You can also use the controller when it's wired into something else, so I'm guessing it's the power system switching over. I know I charge my controller on my Wii, but mostly because the PS3 USB slots aren't always on. I'm only making an educated guess though.
  • gamedaughter1gamedaughter1 Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    I just purchased Rock Band Blitz and I can't get the calibration wizard to finish. It fails every time. How do you calibrate it manually? I have an Samsung LED HDTV. Also, my tv has a game mode setting, should this be on or off? I have never calibrated a game before so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    game mode should always be on when playing games.
    always calibrate after you turn that on. not before
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the info jibjqrkl but how do I calibrate the game?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    go to options and then calibrate? dont really know that cause i never have to calibrate :p
    edited October 2012
    Yup, under options, calibration, then run the wizard, which requires you to interact with it (press X when you hear the sound the first time, press X when the meter hits an edge the second time. X on the PS3 at least). Not sure what you mean by "not finishing".
    edited October 2012
    Yeah I knew how to get to the options. I was asking how you actually calibrated manually because the wizard was failing every time I tried. I have never dealt with calibration before and I don't understand audio and video latency to plug in ms numbers on my own. No worries though I had a friend fix it for me.