DLC Discussion Week of 8/7 - Singles from Cutting Crew, Whitesnake, and Hoobastank!

Comments

• samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Almost 40 posts in, no negs yet.

Been a loooooooooong time.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    YEEEEESSS. Cutting Crew is going to be so much fun! I'll grab Whitesnake too. Probably not Hoobastank, but that's okay! Awesome week.
  • CahillCahill Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    WOW. Extremely disappointed that "Still of the Night" wasn't the pro song *smh* I just don't understand the choice at all.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4833453 said:
    So wrong on both points.

St00pid time warp...
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    So like, if the leak is true, I might as well listen to the songs now when I have time rather than not do them because of camping. So here’s the prepared beforehand first impressions, not seen since the Three Days Grace week :3

Mixed Singles First Impressions

Alright, let’s start with the only band that I do know (because of RB3)... Whitesnake!
    Guitar! And it’s pretty nifty while it flails about and the vocals are just awesome! So far the riff is great and the drums complement it so well and the vocals continue to be rock solid. I do hope this song is the one that gets the pro upgrade. Harmonies... work well, so that’s pleasing. Although they do sound a bit less good than just his vocals on his own. You know what this song reminds me of? Some of the songs from the Ozzy pack over the song we have from RB3 (which is still really good). Seriously, this guitar riff is just super solid. Drums get their own segment to lead up to something... so far it’s just the vocals by themselves for like a second. The keys in this segment are pretty neat, but I di- NO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SONG REMINDS ME OF?!?!? Touch of Evil by Judas Priest! Now THAT song kicks ass and so does this one! Now the keys have their own alternate instrument segment and it sounds fantastic and super fun to play. Like seriously this song is going to be bought so hard. I’m glad that Harmonix is dabbling in good old stuff. The modern stuff was great, but variety is the spice of life! :D
    The rest of the song continues on with the already great formula, so I’m pleased. Definite buy. Hope this song gets the Pro Upgrade.

Nest song is In Your Arms Tonight! Let’s see if it can follow up Whitesnakes’ great intro!
    A nice keys intro begins the song and then some violins (I think) a- OH **** I KNOW THIS SONG! YES YES, I KNOW THIS SONG! THIS SONG IS... OK! I mean, it’s as cheesy as cheese can get, but the whole groove of the song is screaming out “Let’s place this because it’s so freaking silly!” so that’ll be fun at parties. Everything about this song is solid. Vocals are good, drums are repetitive yet strong, keys are good, and lyrics are cheesy enough to love to sing. I’m going to cut this song short, because I’m in a rush, but I’ll definitely buy it. It’s too goofy to not love.

Last song of the day is Crawling in the Dark by the awfully named Hoobastank. Seriously, guys. It’s that bad... Seriously this song is taking ages to load on Youtube. Ugh, I’m in a hurry...
    Anyway, it’s here now! The song is doing some weird Juanes sound effect and then the guitar comes in and it’s pretty ok. The vocals are pretty awful and the stupid sound effects reminds me way too much of Me Enamora, which I would rather do without. Yeah, the song has nothing going from it besides an above average guitar pattern. I mean, it’s somewhat enjoyable, but it can be a lot better. And dammit, that sound effect won’t go away. The chorus is pretty ok, because it focuses on the decent guitar and bad vocals instead of the bad vocals and awful...thingies. Aha! The guitar has its own portion now and it sounds pretty neat, actually. And the song is progressing and it’s not half bad now. Too bad it’s almost over, so it’s kind of too late. Anyway, it’s pretty much meh anyway.

This week overall... was pretty great, actually! I'm in a bit of a rush, so if 2/3 is good right now then I can enjoy it even more later!

In the grand scheme of things, this week is definitely in the upper half of the weeks this year.

This week in terms of songs:
    Still of the Night
    I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
    Crawling in the Dark

Blue is MUST buy
    Green is will buy eventually
    Yellow is will probably buy/high chance of enjoying it later
    Orange is will listen to later to see if my opinion has changed
    Red is probably not going to bother ever again
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Indeed, suprisingly positive feedback so far. Feels good, it has been a while.

And damn these timewarps, trying to make sense of this thread makes my head hurt.
  • Shaun222Shaun222 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    TheDescent;4833463 said:
    No, just no. Boring song on all fronts.

I would have fun on guitar vocals and drums. Id tell you about the bass but Im not the best at hearing these things.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    In the midst of a vast, unforgiving desert, a shallow turbid pool becomes an oasis.

1/3

Death has been averted, but my thirst has not yet been slaked.
    edited August 2012
    So after listening to it Crawling In The Dark is definitely a better chose for Rock Band but I still want The Reason for reasons
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Meh. Not bad, but not great. "Out of Control" is the Hoobastank song I would be hoping for.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    billybobjoe1881;4833485 said:
    You're post #20 but post #11 and #16 both quoted you. WTF.

I think in the last few weeks, the forums watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show, because there's a bunch of time warping going on. Has been doing it for the last week or two. I've seen a lot of posts quoting other posts that show up after. It's weird.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I've seen this happen a few times in the past but never on the severity of this thread. My post asking HMXHenry about the weirdness was originally #42
    edited August 2012
    billybobjoe1881;4833501 said:
    I've seen this happen a few times in the past but never on the severity of this thread. My post asking HMXHenry about the weirdness was originally #42

you dont lurk the forums enough then especially WAYDRN.
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4833493 said:
    I would have fun on guitar vocals and drums. Id tell you about the bass but Im not the best at hearing these things.

Drums? Not a chance. I played drums in a band that wanted to do it, and if it's boring for me, then it's not good.

@Cipher: How the hell you can hear juanes effects on Crawling in the dark? I mean, the juanes guitar is a little delay on a clean guitar (neck pickup), this is heavy echo + flanger on a distorted palm muted riff...

I guess the vocals are ok. Not good but ok. I guess.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited August 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4833502 said:

Still of the Night
    I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
    Crawling in the Dark
    Exactly my thoughts. Except IJDIYAT got the Pro upgrade and I wanted the whitesnake song to get it.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    rsm790;4833518 said:
    Definitely getting Still of the Night, and probably In Your Arms

Still of the Night best song this year

Wow! You're posting without disparaging someone's opinion or calling the DLC garbage? Will the wonders never cease...
  • Heavens_SaintHeavens_Saint Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    I had one of those:

"Oh it's that song!"

When I heard the chorus of 'Crawling in the Dark', still very good songs but no buy for me. I'll save them for a rainy day.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited August 2012
    btw guys, I'm only being sarcastic. But on the internet sometimes it's hard to spot sarcasm...

I don't even like Muse that much... I'll be buying Cutting Crew!
  • Ste1narSte1nar Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    WOW... Still of the Night... best DLC this year by far!!!!
    Strangely enough one of the Songs I predicted not to come yesterday...lol...
    So there might be hope for some more of them?
    Cutting Crew song are instabuy, and Hoobastank??.. hmmm.. Never heard of them.

THANK YOU Harmonix, keep them coming!
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4833503 said:
    you dont lurk the forums enough then especially waydrn.

waydrn?
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Never heard of any of those crappy no-name bands, 0/3...

...is what Rock_Starman would post. I'm getting all three.
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Heavens_Saint;4833504 said:
    I had one of those:
    "Oh it's that song!"

Hooray Cutting Crew! Listining to Hoobastank now... I also had that "oh that song" moment. Defnitely may get. ;)
  • LeodwyldLeodwyld Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    I'm crazy for 80's music, so Cutting Crew is a no-brainer definite for me. The Whtiesnake song is a great song from them, but it is not one I *need* to have (Here I Go Again is by far my favorite song from them and we have it already). Hoobastank making their debut. Wasn't sure about that song but, after a listen, I do kinda recognize it (and it *is* the band's debut). So, 2/3 for me. Great week.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I don't like Cutting Crew and I hate Hoobstabank, but I'll more than likely buy Still of the Night.
    edited August 2012
    sillystou;4833506 said:
    btw guys, I'm only being sarcastic. But on the internet sometimes it's hard to spot sarcasm...

I don't even like Muse that much... I'll be buying Cutting Crew!

I knew that Stou :D
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    To be perfectly honest, I sort of wish Still of the Night got a pro upgrade. I personally think that it's more deserving for one than (I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 2012
    Best DLC of the past 2 months for me.
    Cutting Crew is awesome as is whitesnake.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited August 2012
    Definitely getting Cutting Crew, leaning towards all 3. Good week.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Nice week.

Happy to finally get more Whitsnake. Been wanting that one since RB3 disc. Love the 80s hits. I just need The Warrior back.