DLC Discussion Week of 8/7 - Singles from Cutting Crew, Whitesnake, and Hoobastank!

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited August 2012 in Rock Band
hmxhenry;4832651 said:
Hey gang,

August 7th has a triple-threat of popular singles from popular ‘80s pop group Cutting Crew, alternative metal band Hoobastank, and influential British rockers Whitesnake!

Cutting Crew’s power ballad “(I Just) Died in Your Arms” originally appeared on the band’s 1986 record, Broadcast, and not only reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, but was a hit worldwide. “Crawling in the Dark,” Hoobastank’s breakthrough single from their major-label self-titled studio debut, will also be available. Finally, Whitesnake’s popular ‘80s single, the blues-inspired hard rocker, “Still of the Night,” wraps up this week’s exciting additions to the Rock Band Music Store!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (August 7th, 2012):

• Cutting Crew – “(I Just) Died in Your Arms” O X
• Hoobastank – “Crawling in the Dark”
• Whitesnake – “Still of the Night” O

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system August 8th)
Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (80 Microsoft Points™, 100 Wii Points™) per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

Cutting Crew! Hoobastank! Whitesnake! Discuss!

Comments

• RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Congratulations to Cutting Crew & Hoobastank for making it to Rock Band.

I fully expect a whole bunch of "oh, that song" moments with Cutting Crew.
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4833445 said:
    I wish the Hoobastank song was The Reason because thats the only one I know but this weeks is pretty coolio!

this song is much better than the reason and will fit the game wonderfully IMO
  • steel36steel36 Opening Act
    edited August 2012
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4833453 said:
    So wrong on both points.

Zinngers and mash!
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Crawling in the dark is an instant buy for me. I loved that song when it first came out, it'll be great for parties, fun on all the instrument, and great for singing harmonies.

The Whitesnake song is gonna be really good especially for guitar, I hope the chart will be Poison-esque.

I just died in your arms can be a good party song, but I have to look at the chart.

Also, Mika.

Right now, I'm getting 2/3. Really good week. This is probably the variety everyone wants.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4833445 said:
    I wish the Hoobastank song was The Reason because thats the only one I know but this weeks is pretty coolio!

No, just no. Boring song on all fronts.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Fantastic week.

Will definitely get Whitesnake. Will do chart check on Cutting Crew. Hoobastank not entirely likely (the kind of artist I'm content to have on disc setlists and track packs, but am unlikely to individually pay for).

2/106. :p (Grinding Hank's Gears edition)
  • PheranPheran Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Yes! Cutting Crew and Whitesnake are instabuys, and I might get the Hoobastank as well.
  • RustySpoonsRustySpoons Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    IT MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING WE SAID
    Great week, great couple of songs to pick up, great things coming from HMX! Gonna be a big summer month for Rock Band!
    OOOOOH I, I JUST DIED IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT
  • Dogmatic2020Dogmatic2020 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the Hoobastank!
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    So we have a song from Vice City, a song from Brutal Legend and a song from several sports games.

So that's partially weird.
  • GigakoopsRBNGigakoopsRBN Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Sorry Harmonix, but...
    LiveHomeVideo;4833160 said:
    i'm going to bed. You guys are seriously going to go "uh, duh!" tomorrow morning.

Because, you know, you already know the DLC.
    That was my little way of confirming the leak last night. You know, if you didn't catch that, all those begging me to reveal the DLC.
  • HugokuHugoku Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Just surprised it took 5 years to get Still of the Night on RB.
  • mmetznermmetzner Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Fantastic week, best for ages for me. I'll be getting Cutting Crew and Hoobastank for sure, Whitesnake maybe when I have spare points.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    RM-225;4833459 said:
    I fully expect a whole bunch of "oh, that song" moments with Cutting Crew.
    Yup just had that
  • GigakoopsRBNGigakoopsRBN Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    David2380;4833478 said:
    other than Maiden epics of course...but that was just an oversight on your part I'm sure...

Well, okay...

Second best DLC of the year.
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    GigakoopsRBN;4833450 said:
    When I saw this in the store, I cried a little.

Joy, of coarse.

Best DLC of the year. Not a song here I don't hold really highly.

other than Maiden epics of course...but that was just an oversight on your part I'm sure...
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2012
    The Curring Crew song will be purchased instantly. End of story.

The Whitesnake song may not be purchased instantly, but definitely soon. On second thought, maybe it will be instantly. Who knows?

The Hoobastank song would not have been my first song choice. I also would have preferred "The Reason". But this could be an impulse buy in the future.
  • thegoochethegooche Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the retro love, HMX!
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Come on blog, come up already! D:
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    sillystou;4833443 said:
    no Muse = no buy. Simple as that.

*EDIT* OMG, I'm first! 0_0

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but if you want to skip some good DLC for something that realistically may never happen, that's on you, dude.

I really don't like Whitesnake, so that's out. Possibly buying "Crawling in the Dark" for nostalgia despite how stupid I think the band's name is, but I'll DEFINITELY be getting the Cutting Crew song with its Pro upgrade, too. I'm glad that's the one that got it, too. "Here I Go Again" already has Pro, being on disc, so it's good that a less "shreddy" song is getting it.

As far as the choice for the Hoobastank song, am I the only one who would've preferred "Inside of You"? Never mind the innuendo in the lyrics, it's just got such energy.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4833453 said:
    So wrong on both points.

You're post #20 but post #11 and #16 both quoted you. WTF.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    billybobjoe1881;4833485 said:
    You're post #20 but post #11 and #16 both quoted you. WTF.

Yeah, the posts have been getting really jumbled up lately. I have no idea why, but I first noticed it in yesterday's prediction thread.

I'm happily surprised Cutting Crew got the pro upgrade. I know it has a guitar solo and all, but I expected Whitesnake to get it since it's more hardcore.
  • HetzHetz Rising Star
    edited August 2012
    Much better week this week!

I would still love Classic Rock, but these songs are all good. Thanks!
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Almost 40 posts in, no negs yet.

Been a loooooooooong time.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    YEEEEESSS. Cutting Crew is going to be so much fun! I'll grab Whitesnake too. Probably not Hoobastank, but that's okay! Awesome week.
  • CahillCahill Unsigned
    edited August 2012
    WOW. Extremely disappointed that "Still of the Night" wasn't the pro song *smh* I just don't understand the choice at all.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited August 2012
    hmxhenry;4833453 said:
    So wrong on both points.

St00pid time warp...
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited August 2012
    So like, if the leak is true, I might as well listen to the songs now when I have time rather than not do them because of camping. So here’s the prepared beforehand first impressions, not seen since the Three Days Grace week :3

Mixed Singles First Impressions

Alright, let’s start with the only band that I do know (because of RB3)... Whitesnake!
    Guitar! And it’s pretty nifty while it flails about and the vocals are just awesome! So far the riff is great and the drums complement it so well and the vocals continue to be rock solid. I do hope this song is the one that gets the pro upgrade. Harmonies... work well, so that’s pleasing. Although they do sound a bit less good than just his vocals on his own. You know what this song reminds me of? Some of the songs from the Ozzy pack over the song we have from RB3 (which is still really good). Seriously, this guitar riff is just super solid. Drums get their own segment to lead up to something... so far it’s just the vocals by themselves for like a second. The keys in this segment are pretty neat, but I di- NO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SONG REMINDS ME OF?!?!? Touch of Evil by Judas Priest! Now THAT song kicks ass and so does this one! Now the keys have their own alternate instrument segment and it sounds fantastic and super fun to play. Like seriously this song is going to be bought so hard. I’m glad that Harmonix is dabbling in good old stuff. The modern stuff was great, but variety is the spice of life! :D
    The rest of the song continues on with the already great formula, so I’m pleased. Definite buy. Hope this song gets the Pro Upgrade.

Nest song is In Your Arms Tonight! Let’s see if it can follow up Whitesnakes’ great intro!
    A nice keys intro begins the song and then some violins (I think) a- OH **** I KNOW THIS SONG! YES YES, I KNOW THIS SONG! THIS SONG IS... OK! I mean, it’s as cheesy as cheese can get, but the whole groove of the song is screaming out “Let’s place this because it’s so freaking silly!” so that’ll be fun at parties. Everything about this song is solid. Vocals are good, drums are repetitive yet strong, keys are good, and lyrics are cheesy enough to love to sing. I’m going to cut this song short, because I’m in a rush, but I’ll definitely buy it. It’s too goofy to not love.

Last song of the day is Crawling in the Dark by the awfully named Hoobastank. Seriously, guys. It’s that bad... Seriously this song is taking ages to load on Youtube. Ugh, I’m in a hurry...
    Anyway, it’s here now! The song is doing some weird Juanes sound effect and then the guitar comes in and it’s pretty ok. The vocals are pretty awful and the stupid sound effects reminds me way too much of Me Enamora, which I would rather do without. Yeah, the song has nothing going from it besides an above average guitar pattern. I mean, it’s somewhat enjoyable, but it can be a lot better. And dammit, that sound effect won’t go away. The chorus is pretty ok, because it focuses on the decent guitar and bad vocals instead of the bad vocals and awful...thingies. Aha! The guitar has its own portion now and it sounds pretty neat, actually. And the song is progressing and it’s not half bad now. Too bad it’s almost over, so it’s kind of too late. Anyway, it’s pretty much meh anyway.

This week overall... was pretty great, actually! I'm in a bit of a rush, so if 2/3 is good right now then I can enjoy it even more later!

In the grand scheme of things, this week is definitely in the upper half of the weeks this year.

This week in terms of songs:
    Still of the Night
    I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
    Crawling in the Dark

Blue is MUST buy
    Green is will buy eventually
    Yellow is will probably buy/high chance of enjoying it later
    Orange is will listen to later to see if my opinion has changed
    Red is probably not going to bother ever again