Wii U Discussion Thread

MasterOfAwsumMasterOfAwsum Unsigned
edited August 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I know there's lots of debate over whether the console will be a success or not, so I wanted to see what the Rock Band community thought about it. It will probably be out in November and probably cost around $300. I know I'm buying one at launch, mainly because I don't have an Xbox or PlayStation right now (I'm only a semi-gamer, though I play games at friends' houses a lot) and I also really want to play Pikmin 3.

Also, once Nintendo announces more info about how the downloadable games will work, Harmonix may (or may not) reveal that Rock Band Blitz will be available for the console at launch. It's possible that this was planned all along but Nintendo told Harmonix not to tell anyone yet because they're trying to keep everything about this console a secret for whatever reason. For now, all we can do is hope.

This is the place to post your thoughts, ideas, complaints, etc. about the Nintendo Wii U and what you see for the future of the console (and possibly the future of Rock Band titles on the console)

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    MasterOfAwsum;4834655 said:
    I know there's lots of debate over whether the console will be a success or not
    No, there isn't. People questioned the Wii, it broke records. People questioned the DS(including Nintendo), and it broke records. People questioned the 3DS, it's been roughly twofold of what the DS has done in similar timeframes.

At some point, it just has to be expected.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    If they can come up with the next big casual game like Wii Sports or Wii Fit to sell the console to the sheeple, it will be a major success. If not it'll still sell a lot better than the GameCube.

I won't buy it because I haven't touched my Wii in about two years, and Nintendo will just release new sequels of the same old crap over & over again anyway.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I personally think this is gonna be a great console. Pikmin 3 and ZombiU look great, Nintendo Land looks like a good party game (better than the Wii Party crap I hope), and even though we don't have any details at all, I'm 100% positive Super Smash Bros 4 will be amazing.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    It's going to be interesting to see whether Nintendo will finally catch up with current gen graphics or not. I'd love to see a good looking Mario Kart & Smash Bros., but after seeing Pikmin 3 & New Super Mario Bros. U presentations, my expectations are damn low. Nintendo might not be ten years behind anymore, but probably still about five.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited August 2012
    We all know Nintendo wants big money, and what other big holiday shopping spree is there before Black Friday? Most big titles go a month prior to get all the purchases from those hardcore fans first, then line their pockets from Black Friday but it doesn't appear to be that way with Nintendo. If you want one, it seems you're going to be standing in line hoping you got a good spot in line.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited August 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4834656 said:
    People questioned the 3DS, it's been roughly twofold of what the DS has done in similar timeframes.

Yeah, AFTER they had to take a massive price cut once it was revealed they weren't going to get favourable numbers otherwise.
    edited August 2012
    Lowlander2;4834821 said:
    Yeah, AFTER they had to take a massive price cut once it was revealed they weren't going to get favourable numbers otherwise.

Massive? 100$ isn't massive, and not like Microsoft or Sony haven't done that with some of thee consoles.
    edited August 2012
    Lowlander2;4834821 said:
    No, before that. I'm sure it being the highest-selling Nintendo system on day one wasn't because of a pricecut seven months later. Nor was it having twice the preorders of the Wii. While yes, it didn't do great(because of software, not hardware prices, but you know) later on in the year, if you do side-by-side comparisons of it and the DS in comparable timeframes, the 3DS wins out.
    ClaptonsWig;4834876 said:
    Massive? 100$ isn't massive, and not like Microsoft or Sony haven't done that with some of thee consoles.
    Plus it was only $70.
    edited August 2012
    If Nintendo would stop price gouging their games, (first party thay is), I'd be more likely to buy a lot more. I think I've got only 9 wii games, and 3 of them were amazing steals off eBay.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited August 2012
    I am super excited for the Wii U

it will be a day one purchase for me because of Pikmin 3
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited August 2012
    I'm waiting on the price drop bruther. I made the mistake of buying a Vita 2 months after it released dude. Wont make the same mistake twice bruther. As Nintendo stated :)
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited August 2012
    i can't wait for it. i don't have the other consoles and wont be getting them, so this is a huge step forward for me.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited August 2012
    topdrawer;4838601 said:
    i can't wait for it. i don't have the other consoles and wont be getting them, so this is a huge step forward for me.

Why wont you get the other consoles?
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4838604 said:
    Why wont you get the other consoles?

i don't like to hoard stuff. having too many things depresses me, specially if those things have similar functions. if i buy something, i get rid of something else. no multiple systems, no clutter. plus i have very little play time so there is no reason to gather more games than i can ever play.
    edited August 2012
    If you are only going to own one system you should make it one that isnt a generation behind.
    edited August 2012
    www1221;4838678 said:
    If you are only going to own one system you should make it one that isnt a generation behind.

or ones that can't play zelda or metroid or mario or pikmin or rhythm heaven or fortune street or everything else i like to play.

plus i'm excited to play console games when the only tv is in use by someone else because i dont want more than one tv in the house.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited August 2012
    Also, once Nintendo announces more info about how the downloadable games will work, Harmonix may (or may not) reveal that Rock Band Blitz will be available for the console at launch. It's possible that this was planned all along
    Very doubtful.
    but Nintendo told Harmonix not to tell anyone yet because they're trying to keep everything about this console a secret for whatever reason.
    Straight-up impossible.
    For now, all we can do is hope.
    Wish in one hand, .....ehhh....spit in the other.
    Pankrazzo;4834773 said:
    It's going to be interesting to see whether Nintendo will finally catch up with current gen graphics or not.

Well, it's getting Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed III (how the hell is the ME3 port gonna work I wonder? So much awesome stuff in that game that you need to have ME2 imports to get). I can't imagine they'll be too dumbed-down graphics-wise, though you never know -- when Wii and PS2 ports of games build on PS3 or Xbox came out, they were often quite directly comparable.

Chances are ME3 and AC3 will look fine on the Wii U, but it'll again be the graphical black sheep once we're making comparisons to Nextbox and the PSOrbis or whatever they end up being called. Just like the 360 and the PS3 will be. Some Nintendo bigwig proclaimed with pride that the 'U will have more processing power than the 360, well, the 360 is seven year old technology. It had ****ing better have more processing power than the 360. And I don't recall an equivalent claim being made about the PS3, which is superior from a hardware standpoint (not console bashing, that's just a fact).
    topdrawer;4838673 said:
    i don't like to hoard stuff. having too many things depresses me, specially if those things have similar functions. if i buy something, i get rid of something else. no multiple systems, no clutter. plus i have very little play time so there is no reason to gather more games than i can ever play.
    topdrawer;4838694 said:
    or ones that can't play zelda or metroid or mario or pikmin or rhythm heaven or fortune street or everything else i like to play.

plus i'm excited to play console games when the only tv is in use by someone else because i dont want more than one tv in the house.

That is...unusually rigid.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    I don't like tablet gaming. I'm tired of 20+years of Mario, Zelda and Metroid. My old laptop has better Specs than it. So...I'm gonna have to pass on this cashgrab.
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4841532 said:
    (how the hell is the ME3 port gonna work I wonder? So much awesome stuff in that game that you need to have ME2 imports to get)
    Same way it works now if you don't use ME2 import data.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012
    They announced this week ME3 would have a digital comic book like they did for the PS3 version.
    edited August 2012
    I suppose that's the best way of doing it. Might as well eventually make it available for all four platforms (the ME2 prequel comic can also be used to jump straight into ME2 on Xbox or PC). I still wonder who's gonna buy that game (or AC3, for that matter) for Wii U that isn't already invested in the franchise some other way. It's gonna take the Mario boys a little bit of time to really build credibility as a multiplatform option.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited August 2012
    Lawdog1521;4841690 said:
    They announced this week ME3 would have a digital comic book like they did for the PS3 version.
    Bioware sells you their spoils via DCL on the 360/PC.
    edited August 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4842043 said:
    I suppose that's the best way of doing it. Might as well eventually make it available for all four platforms (the ME2 prequel comic can also be used to jump straight into ME2 on Xbox or PC). I still wonder who's gonna buy that game (or AC3, for that matter) for Wii U that isn't already invested in the franchise some other way. It's gonna take the Mario boys a little bit of time to really build credibility as a multiplatform option.

they don't have to sell that well to make a profit. at least not for ac3. ubisoft said it only takes about a million extra euros to port that game over - they don't even need to sell 100k copies to make a profit. in a couple of years when the other 2 consoles update, ports to the wiiu may cost more but for right now i don't think 3rd parties see it as much of a risk
    edited August 2012
    88sBand;4842116 said:
    Bioware sells you their spoils via DCL on the 360/PC.

Dumb condescending losers
    edited August 2012
    topdrawer;4842351 said:
    they don't have to sell that well to make a profit. at least not for ac3. ubisoft said it only takes about a million extra euros to port that game over - they don't even need to sell 100k copies to make a profit. in a couple of years when the other 2 consoles update, ports to the wiiu may cost more but for right now i don't think 3rd parties see it as much of a risk

Sure, that's all true, but break down the market a little -- who are the potential Wii U buyers of those two games?

Players who owned one or more of the previous games on another console or PC
    Wii loyalists looking to branch out
    Players who owned one or more of the previous games on a handheld console

I don't really know how many buys are in this crowd. I guess this kinda is a case of "LOLWIIGRANDMAGAMER!!!!!" but were there really gamers who would have loved to buy into those series but couldn't because they didn't have the console or a gaming PC? Just seems like that number should be microscopic.

There'll be some buys from people who have the game(s) on PS3 and/or Xbox (I have Rock Band and Mass Effect on both PS3 and Xbox), but it's almost the flip side of that same coin. Are the numbers really gonna be there?

No, it's not gonna bankrupt Ubi or BW, and that actually wasn't my point in the first place (it was just that these launch-day ports don't automatically make Ninty an attractive option for multiplatforms). The especially interesting thing about this I'm pretty sure AC3 is built on the PS3 in the first place, and ME3 on the 360. It'll make for an interesting graphical comparison. If the Wii U represents comparable graphics to the other consoles' seventh-gen efforts, that could indeed be bad news for future ports from games built on eighth-gen consoles.

Or it may not. You know those games are gonna have PS3 and 360 ports for at least the first 2 or 3 years the consoles are out, and that may simplify Wii U ports.

And even if it is the case that it tends to shut the door to further multiplatformers, Ninty's just gonna laugh their way to the bank anyway.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 2012
    Something some of you may find interesting, in case you missed it, this last week EA announced it's port of Madden 13 would be missing several of the features of the Xbox and PS3. Specifically it's supposed to sport a new physics engine in the MS/Sony version and will instead use an older engine in the WiiU one. It'll also be missing several online features.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2012
    topdrawer;4842351 said:

The problem with the Wii U won't become apparent to the general public until the next gen consoles come out. Sure the Wii U is getting ports of existing Unreal 3 engine driven games, but there's already been discussions out there that Unreal 4 will not work on the Wii U (it's not powerful enough to run it). If UE4 is the backbone of most third party games like UE3 was this generation, then that's a hell of a lot of big games that won't get ported to the Wii U in the new generation.

I'm considering getting a WiiU for my daughter (she's at that right age that Nintendo characters will really resonate with her, and while I've long moved on from Nintendo, their games were a big part of my early gaming career), so I know that the console will be good for the 1st party Nintendo games.

However having said that, anyone getting the WiiU as their 'main' console I fear will be highly dissapointed when the 3rd party titles start to dry up once the next gen consoles hit.

I guess we'll see what happens.